Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:07 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Yeah because forums are laid out left to right
they are. You have to scroll like anything else, but the words sure as hell are, even the controls and profile information are.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:10 AM   #32
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Oh please, you know forums are meant to be read with the majority of scrolling down, not left to right as you read.

In case you're really THAT obtuse, forum posts are not stacked left to right, but top to bottom. Practically all (good/popular?) web pages follow this design concept of text and information flowing top to bottom.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Dec 5, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:12 AM   #33
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Oh please, you know forums are meant to be read with the majority of scrolling down, not left to right as you read.
Why the hell would I scroll left to right as I read? Are you drunk?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:15 AM   #34
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

See my edit

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:17 AM   #35
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
See my edit
What does that have to do with browsing in portrait being dumb?

Calling someone else obtuse is pretty ironic.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:17 AM   #36
Zero
Sass hole

Portrait reduces the amount of vertical scrolling for viewing vertically-oriented designs...???

Are YOU drunk?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:19 AM   #37
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Portrait reduces the amount of vertical scrolling...???
Oh no vertical scrolling! Landscape gives you larger text and less cramped interface.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:20 AM   #38
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just switched to portrait, no forums do not look even remotely better in portrait.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:25 AM   #39
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Oh no vertical scrolling! Landscape gives you larger text and less cramped interface.
I prefer a minimal interface and about cramped interface, how do you like it when your OSD takes up half the screen in landscape while typing out posts?

And yeah, expending less effort, time, energy etc while reading my content is key. Maybe those things have no value to you but they certainly do to the rest of the world.

Quote:
Just switched to portrait, no forums do not look even remotely better in portrait.
It's not just forums, it's the majority of websites. Outside of those retarded gawker media sites, everything is designed to be consumed vertically.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:28 AM   #40
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I consume everything vertically on my Xoom on a daily basis. Do you turn your PC monitor on its side to reduce vertical scrolling?

My OSD is taking up slightly less than half the screen right this moment yet I can effectively post in this thread. It's humorous you want a less cluttered interface yet you are fine with cluttered and cramped website experience.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:33 AM   #41
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
I consume everything vertically on my Xoom on a daily basis. Do you turn your PC monitor on its side to reduce vertical scrolling?
I actually DO have a monitor set up in portrait for highly vertical webpages (mostly forums) and document reading.

Quote:
My OSD is taking up slightly less than half the screen right this moment yet I can effectively post in this thread. It's humorous you want a less cluttered interface yet you are fine with cluttered and cramped website experience.
I don't see how portrait is cluttered or cramped, that's how most sites are designed (stacked vertically). Good design elements do not stack things on the sides if it can be helped, it reduces focus and ADDS CLUTTER. Seriously, look at the webpages you browse on a regular basis. They're DESIGNED for vertical consumption. If they don't reflow properly, blame poor design, coding, or maybe even your browser.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:36 AM   #42
Elysian
SCAATSJW

At my last job I had a portrait monitor for spreadsheets and databases. Browsing on it sucked.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:44 AM   #43
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
At my last job I had a portrait monitor for spreadsheets and databases. Browsing on it sucked.
Spreadsheets can be any number of configurations, they're best viewed on 4:3 format screen as it maximizes and balances both vertical and horizontal space. Portrait mode monitors are not ideal for spreadsheet work unless you have specifically vertical data. Also, there's always pivot (tangential point, I know, but I wanted to say it)

Anyways, I don't know what you browse, but I'd say 98% of major webpages out there are still designed with a primary central column (from Apple, to Best Buy, to Facebook, to CNN etc etc). Which is perfectly suited for a portrait display. *shrug*

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:52 AM   #44
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Spreadsheets can be any number of configurations, they're best viewed on 4:3 format screen as it maximizes and balances both vertical and horizontal space. Portrait mode monitors are not ideal for spreadsheet work unless you have specifically vertical data. Also, there's always pivot (tangential point, I know, but I wanted to say it)

Anyways, I don't know what you browse, but I'd say 98% of major webpages out there are still designed with a primary central column (from Apple, to Best Buy, to Facebook, to CNN etc etc). Which is perfectly suited for a portrait display. *shrug*
Those 98% of sites are also designed for more than 800 pixels.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 01:05 AM   #45
Zero
Sass hole

That's actually about the size of most central columns, if you wanted to do 1:1 mapping. Since most tablet browsers should auto scale the page to fit entirely on screen, that point is generally moot (there's always pages that don't scale properly due to poor coding, design choices or browser incompatibility).

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 01:14 AM   #46
Zero
Sass hole

Here's an example of my portrait vs landscape setup. The left side is my monitor in portrait 1680x1050, so slightly wider than 800 px. The right side is my other monitor in landscape 1920x1200.

Tell me which looks easier to read.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:01 PM   #47
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

I don't typically browse forums with my tablet (mainly just normal websites). When I do, I use landscape mainly because I'm browsing forums which contain pictures (usually browsing used cars or digital photography). I don't usually type or post messages when tablet browsing, but I would might find it awkward to use the tablet keyboard in portrait mode (I use Swift Key in split keyboard mode).
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:40 PM   #48
Zero
Sass hole

Using Opera, I find that browsing picture-heavy forums is more manageable because you have more zoom control. In landscape, you can't really zoom out to see the whole picture and you just have to scroll around. In portrait, the image may be smaller but you see all of it and can select which part you want to zoom in on.

And regarding non-forum sites, they're equally as suited to portrait (if not better so). But that's neither here nor there when it comes to AR, 4:3 is a little nicer as it gives you a bit more horizontal space in portrait mode but it's not incredibly significant for web browsing imo.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:53 PM   #49
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
In landscape, you can't really zoom out to see the whole picture and you just have to scroll around.
What size screen is your tablet?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 01:02 PM   #50
Zero
Sass hole

Nook Color 7" and Asus Transformer 10"

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 5, 2011, 01:22 PM   #51
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Nook Color 7" and Asus Transformer 10"
I've never had a problem viewing larger images in landscape mode on the Xoom. I don't use Opera through, but with Dolphin I just use the zoom gestures to quickly zoom out for an image and zoom back in for reading text. The only time I use portrait mode (other than when a game/app forces it) is for reading eMagazines.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:30 AM   #52
becco
Radeon Evergreen

becco is still being judged by the masses

If you are working with photography and like to display your work with slideshow to client as preview, you will need 4:3.

The 4:3 also convenience for browsing and read e-book. For browsing, there's a lot site content from blog which use 4:3 format; for reading I don't think I can read longer in 16:9.

16:9 so far is only good for movie, but in my opinion it is better to watch movie on the giant screen TV instead.

My YouTube

Last edited by becco : Dec 16, 2011 at 03:32 AM.
becco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:14 AM   #53
HiThere
salty cracker

HiThere is still being judged by the masses

On reading comics in 16:9 vs. 4:3:

Neither of these formats is "right on the money", but having experienced both for comics, I have to say that a 9.7" 4:3 screen is better than a 10" widescreen. Why? Well, if you configure both so that the entire page is visible and not stretched, then it's kinda a wash between the two which one is better. BUT, my preferred mode is "fit width", which results in a much smaller image on a widescreen tablet. Yes, doing so on a 4:3 screen results in some of the image cut off at the bottom of the screen, but you only have to scroll an inch or so, and this is much more desirable for 99% of page layouts than cutting the side off the page for an equal amount of visible screen space in the widescreen+portrait mode on a 16:9 tablet.

Try this: Find a ruler and a comic book. Try reading with the ruler positioned vertically, overlapping the right side of a given page. Then, try it with the ruler across the bottom of the page...with the ruler across the bottom, you'll find you don't need to move it as often, and you'll find that it's less obtrusive. It's the same experience on a tablet. The experience just feels "bigger" on a 4:3 screen.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 05:32 PM   #54
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I started reading Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" today on my Xyboard and I'm finding the aspect ratio is absolutely perfect and would not want 4:3 for this.

I'm also finding the Xyboard is MUCH more comfortable than the Xoom in portrait, the notched corner design makes it very very palm friendly and the lightness and added thinness is very nice. The screen is easier to read as well, no eye fatigue. I'm even finding it more comfortable than an actual book, the page flipping and holding of past pages will not be missed.