Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
snookums
Nothing is true.

snookums is still being judged by the masses

Default Why are Android tablets 16:9 instead of 4:3?

I really want an Android tablet, but they are all 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio. I've got an iPad at work and it's just so much better with a 4:3 aspect ratio compared to the 16:9. I just dislike iOS, a lot.

Are there any Honeycomb (or ICS) Android tablets out there that are 4:3? I can only find one or two that run Froyo.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

4:3 is lame

Find an HP touchpad and put Android on it.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 05:30 PM   #3
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

i like 16:9 just fine, less scrolling when looking at a page and perfect for video content, 4:3 just feels unnatural nowadays
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 1, 2011, 05:59 PM   #4
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

The day I buy something 4:3
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 06:38 PM   #5
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

ya i feel so restricted when using 4x3 formats... not saying one is better than the other, but i find that 16x9 feels much more natural and polished.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Can't say I really dig 16:9 for anything but videos. It seems restrictive when trying to read books, magazines, comics, etc

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

The LePan TC 970 has a 4:3 IPS display... but it's Android 2.2

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 01:26 AM   #8
minaelromany
Radeon Caribbean Islands

minaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyminaelromany can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Can't say I really dig 16:9 for anything but videos. It seems restrictive when trying to read books, magazines, comics, etc
Books, magazines and comics are better read in 16:9 Portrait mode

Wider is always better in displays
SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 4GB Vapor-X OC 1.1GHz/5.2GHz GDDR5
3 BenQ 2420HD 1080p 24" Widescreen LCD in Eyefinity
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD + 30.0TB of HDDs
Sound Blaster Z -Cambridge SoundWorks DTT 3500 Digital
Seasonic X-850
2xBenq 1640 - LiteOn iHAS120-Pioneer 111L - Samsung 203B - NEC Optiarc AD-7200S DVD+/-RW burners
NZXT Phantom Red Edition
minaelromany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 02:16 AM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaelromany View Post
Books, magazines and comics are better read in 16:9 Portrait mode
Definitive no. Books, magazine, comics are not created in 16:9 portrait aspect/sizes. They're generally closer to 4:3.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 2, 2011, 04:44 AM   #10
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

I've always liked 16:10. Nicely displays two pages side by side when viewing pdf's or other documents.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 08:33 AM   #11
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookums View Post
I really want an Android tablet, but they are all 16:10 or 16:9 aspect ratio. I've got an iPad at work and it's just so much better with a 4:3 aspect ratio compared to the 16:9. I just dislike iOS, a lot.

Are there any Honeycomb (or ICS) Android tablets out there that are 4:3? I can only find one or two that run Froyo.
Apparently they did it so they could be sued by Apple for copying their look and feel design.

Quote:
Definitive no. Books, magazine, comics are not created in 16:9 portrait aspect/sizes. They're generally closer to 4:3.
Even in side by side page mode?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Even in side by side page mode?
It's not ideal to read magazines or comics that way.

I admit, it might be useful for reading books but oddly enough I've never done it on my 10" tablet, only portrait mode on my 7" nook.

And let's not forget plain old document reading. A standard 8.5x11/Letter/A4 doc will be better viewed on 4:3.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 2, 2011, 08:49 AM   #13
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Good points. I have a Nook and side by side looks OK to me except it's too small. I figured I might be able to read it like that on a larger and higher resolution display but perhaps not.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Zero
Sass hole

I think if you read a book in landscape, double pages, on a 10" 16:9 tablet, it's going to be about 70% the size of a regular paperback. Some people won't mind, I'd find it too uncomfortable to read that way myself.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 2, 2011, 09:51 AM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Ever measured? You'd find your wrong. My Watchmen graphic novel is 10.125 x 6.5,which comes to 1.55, closer to 16:10 than 4:3 by a long shot. Most paperback books are also the same way. The only books I have close to 4:3 are textbooks. Magazines are as well but magazines are more like web content, I'd rather read them in landscape on my Xoom.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 2, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 12:57 PM   #16
snookums
Nothing is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
4:3 is lame

Find an HP touchpad and put Android on it.
So far the Cyanogen TouchPad distro is only on gingerbread. If they get an ICS distro on the TouchPad, I'd do that easy... for $150.

Quote:
This.

I don't know how you guys can say reading a webpage is easier on a widescreen. Either the display area isn't tall enough to show larger pictures, or it's too narrow and the text becomes too small.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookums View Post
So far the Cyanogen TouchPad distro is only on gingerbread. If they get an ICS distro on the TouchPad, I'd do that easy... for $150.

This.

I don't know how you guys can say reading a webpage is easier on a widescreen. Either the display area isn't tall enough to show larger pictures, or it's too narrow and the text becomes too small.
This is virtually never an issue on my Xoom, perhaps you need to change the default text size on whatever browser your using? Browsing on 4:3 reminds me of old computer monitors, widescreen is better there as well. Like I said previously, once you get down to actually measuring a lot of books and publications, you'll see they're not 4:3 at all.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 03:20 PM   #18
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Ever measured? You'd find your wrong. My Watchmen graphic novel is 10.125 x 6.5,which comes to 1.55, closer to 16:10 than 4:3 by a long shot.
1.55 is right in the middle between 1.33 (4:3) and 1.78 (16:9). Why are we talking 16:10 now? A "long shot"? Come on man.

And if you actually read a variety of comics and graphic novels, you'd find that they're not all that aspect.

Quote:
Most paperback books are also the same way. The only books I have close to 4:3 are textbooks. Magazines are as well but magazines are more like web content, I'd rather read them in landscape on my Xoom.
And I'd rather see the full page like it was designed to be seen.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 2, 2011, 03:26 PM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
This is virtually never an issue on my Xoom, perhaps you need to change the default text size on whatever browser your using? Browsing on 4:3 reminds me of old computer monitors, widescreen is better there as well. Like I said previously, once you get down to actually measuring a lot of books and publications, you'll see they're not 4:3 at all.
I just checked a whole bunch of books I own in print and digital and guess what, there's a range of aspects from 4:3 to ~16:9 (not that it matters a TON with text reflow, unless your books are scans ). Measured a variety of magazines, all close to 4:3 as expected

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 2, 2011, 03:31 PM   #20
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I just checked a whole bunch of books I own in print and digital and guess what, there's a range of aspects from 4:3 to ~16:9 (not that it matters a TON with text reflow, unless your books are scans ). Measured a variety of magazines, all close to 4:3 as expected
I ******* said magazines were 4:3, jesus.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 03:33 PM   #21
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
1.55 is right in the middle between 1.33 (4:3) and 1.78 (16:9). Why are we talking 16:10 now? A "long shot"? Come on man.

And if you actually read a variety of comics and graphic novels, you'd find that they're not all that aspect.

And I'd rather see the full page like it was designed to be seen.
The OP mentions 16:10, which is much closer to 1.55 than 1.33, making my point.

Also don't see the problem exactly with 'seeing the full page' versus not, you don't take in a full pages worth of information, how exactly is scrolling with your finger any worse than scrolling with your eye?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 03:52 PM   #22
Zero
Sass hole

There are plenty of publications that make use of full page art (beyond the obvious pornography, plenty of photo and art mags for example). I like my tablet and paper reading experience to be as similar as possible.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 2, 2011, 07:48 PM   #23
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i only do video on tablet, so i guess i want a 16-9 ratio.

but my wife like to read and she uses ipad for books reading everysingle day.

i guess 4:3 might be more comfortable to hold for that matter
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2011, 09:22 PM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

It's great if all your videos are 16:9, plenty of old shows on netflix are 4:3 and plenty of movies are much wider than 16:9. 16:9 is pretty good for most video content, but it's by no means perfect for it.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:24 AM   #25
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

My initial comment was because i dont use ereaders and that my movies are all widescreen so for me 16:9/10 is my preferred choice, but if i was using my tablet differently then i can see the benefits of 4:3.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:34 AM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I've watched 'How It's Made' which is all 4:3 on my Xoom, I'd rather have black bars on the VERY occasional 4:3 than black bars on the VERY common 16:9.

Last edited by Elysian : Dec 3, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:07 AM   #27
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The Archos G9 8" is 4:3 for some strange reason. I prefer 16:9 for video purposes.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:54 PM   #28
snookums
Nothing is true.

For movies, TV shows (and the like), the 16:9 works well (better) than the regular 4:3. But for reading webpages (which is what I do mostly) it's just too narrow (or too short). Especially for sites that have the three-pillar design (navigation on the left, content in the middle, "features" on the right), the content get squished too much, or I end up having to scroll sideways (or switch to landscape).

So I've decided I am not buying a tablet. Not until what I want shows up on the market.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:01 PM   #29
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Browsing in portrait is dumb.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:22 PM   #30
Zero
Sass hole

Yeah because forums are laid out left to right

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"