Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:06 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
What gets me are all the rumors about the 5.

What happened? They even had case mock-ups and that one Asian guy speaking fluent german who demoed the aluminum/glass chassis they machined as a sample.

Are they just not done fixing it up? Were all the rumors about the curved edges and thinner body based on the iPod Touch?

It's really weird.
even with news with iphone 5 in the wild. and stolen by cops?
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:06 PM   #212
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
when i play games on the ipod touch 4g.. my finger already covered 30% of the screen..
and you're Chinese. Us Americans, it takes up 50%.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:07 PM   #213
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
even with news with iphone 5 in the wild. and stolen by cops?
I knew that was fake or a setup for some PR. The phone never turned up and there were no screen shots. Even if it did, Apple could have said, "oh, that's just the iPhone 4".
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:12 PM   #214
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Apple can't even get there website update together.

http://www.apple.com/iphone

Bring Jobs back please.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:12 PM   #215
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Do we really need 3 different threads for the same thing? Or are we going to close one of the other ones and keep one of the new ones up instead?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:15 PM   #216
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
when i play games on the ipod touch 4g.. my finger already covered 30% of the screen..
This is precisely why I wanted a bigger screen. Some of the new football (soccer) games require 2 thumb control and it's almost impossible to see what the hell is going on, not to mention browsing many websites is just less stressful on the eyes on a larger screen.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:23 PM   #217
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

I sort of knew they'd do the iPhone4S approach. Again, what can you really add to a phone nowadays, except a kitchen sink?

Bad news is that when iOS5 official comes out on Oct. 12, I'll be up in the high arctic. I'll likely have to wait until I get to Iqaluit before I can update my iPad.

Funny Apple's iPhone page is down? Is this a Canada-only / Rogers-related like when Rogers throttled iTunes and blamed Apple?

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:25 PM   #218
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
I sort of knew they'd do the iPhone4S approach. Again, what can you really add to a phone nowadays, except a kitchen sink?

Bad news is that when iOS5 official comes out on Oct. 12, I'll be up in the high arctic. I'll likely have to wait until I get to Iqaluit before I can update my iPad.
That's why I was hoping for a redesign and a bigger screen. Not much else you can do but change the CPU and add RAM. The specs are on par with the Galaxy S II and still the iPhone has the best resolution in the business.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:28 PM   #219
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post

Funny Apple's iPhone page is down? Is this a Canada-only / Rogers-related like when Rogers throttled iTunes and blamed Apple?
You can get the GM build now...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:31 PM   #220
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The store is back up. No updated MacBook pros. Sadpanda.
Spring the trap. Spring it all over her face.
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:37 PM   #221
psychogmv
Radeon R300

psychogmv is still being judged by the masses

I believe that Apple will not increase the screen size, because that would hurt iPad sales. They are a very market and profits oriented company, and this announcement makes a lot of sense in the business perspective. They are selling the iPhone4 like crazy, and this minor update makes all R&D costs very low for the hardware while giving an extra year of sales with high profit margins. And this 3.5" screen will make the people to buy the iPad if someone wants to stick with the iOS environment. Samsung is catching up with Apple, launching 3 versions of the Galaxy S2, but at a very high R&D cost. Also the iOS5 modifications were so deep that Apple might have spent all their engineering resources on that.
psychogmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:44 PM   #222
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
and you're Chinese. Us Americans, it takes up 50%.
That's kind of racist, coming from you of all people....
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:45 PM   #223
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychogmv View Post
Also the iOS5 modifications were so deep that Apple might have spent all their engineering resources on that.
Pretty sure the people who design the device and those who develop the software are completely seperate.

Entirely different skillset in chipset/PCB engineering than operating system coding.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:47 PM   #224
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
The store is back up. No updated MacBook pros. Sadpanda.
My dream laptop:

Retina display 15 inch
2560x1600px
4gb ram / hdd (that I'll upgrade to 8gb / 240gb ssd)
Macbook air like design (no cd rom)

That's pretty much all I need for everything right now. I do development work, no need for gaming etc.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:47 PM   #225
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
You can get the GM build now...
Not for the dev tools. I'm getting some strange ARC-related warnings when using certain Quartz functionality. Programs still work and all, but the warnings kind of drown out other warnings that I'd sort of like to know about before runtime...

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 02:59 PM   #226
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
He's terribly racist, he just doesn't admit it.
Desktop - Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 Redshift | ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | AMD Ryzen 7 1700X | Hyper 212 EVO | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 512GB Intel 660p | 2TB Seagate 7200.12 | 16x LG BD-Burner | MSI Armor OC GeForce GTX 1080 | Tt ToughPower Grand RGB 750w | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
HTPC - Fractal Design Define R4 | ASRock Z77 Extreme4 | Intel Core i5 3570K | Antec Kuhler 620 | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600 | 128GB Intel 330 SSD | 16x Lite-On DVD-R/RW | eVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX 2.0+ | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair CX750M | Westinghouse 50" 1080P | Windows 10 Pro
File Server - NZXT Classic Series Source 210 | ASRock 970A-G/3.1 | AMD FX-8320E Black Edition | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1333 | 128GB Samsung 830 | 4x2TB HGST UlstraStar | Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 | Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W | Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
I play a medic in TF2 so I think I know a little bit about diagnosing disease. Plus I watched a lot of House.
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:00 PM   #227
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Apple can't even get there* website update together.

http://www.apple.com/iphone

Bring Jobs back please.
*their

Does this mean we'll see the world's first iJobs? Cybernetic Steve Jobs with a mechanical pancreas?
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:01 PM   #228
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
You mean like those black people and friend chicken animated GIF's we love to post here? Like that? So am I racist against Chinese or Americans....

Last edited by Razeus : Oct 4, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:07 PM   #229
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Apple just launched AppleCare Plus. Covers you for accidental damage to your iPhone for 2 incidents for a $49 service fee.

I remember when I busted my iPhone 4, I simply walked into an Apple store and got it replaced for free.

I'm guessing they've had MANY of these incidents.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:09 PM   #230
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Apple just launched AppleCare Plus. Covers you for accidental damage to your iPhone for 2 incidents for a $49 service fee.

I remember when I busted my iPhone 4, I simply walked into an Apple store and got it replaced for free.

I'm guessing they've had MANY of these incidents.
Probably from users who threw their phones at the wall during the antennagate scandal.

So i just kind of looked at the tech specs of this and its only 1ghz dual core and 512mb ram? (i think also separate 512mb for the GPU)? I thought it'd be alittle faster than that. This isnt MS and its antiquated hardware minimums.....

And it seems like they also dropped all the iphone 4 models except for the 8gb one......
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense

Last edited by Sasquach : Oct 4, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:15 PM   #231
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

I'm just curious as to why you guys felt there would be an iPhone 5? As we got closer to today, all the rumors we heard pointed to this being just an update rather than a new phone. Wishful thinking?
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:24 PM   #232
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
I'm just curious as to why you guys felt there would be an iPhone 5? As we got closer to today, all the rumors we heard pointed to this being just an update rather than a new phone. Wishful thinking?
I expected something more.
But then again this is apple, they could change the color from black to red and there'll be a massive press conference.

Oh and the Siri voice recognition thing seems to be a 4s only feature....

Last edited by Sasquach : Oct 4, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:27 PM   #233
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by raziel View Post
  1. iOS5 Released October 12, 2011
  2. iPod Nano gets multi touch, new clock faces, pedometer, and a price drop. iPod Classic line is killed off.
  3. iTouch still at 64GB max, A5 chip, and will come in white
  4. iPhone 4S is announced, 7X faster graphics, than iPhone 4 with A5 Chip, and guess what… it looks EXACTLY the same as the iPhone 4!
  5. iPhone 4S has better camera ay 8MP, and faster download speeds up to 14.4MB taking advantage of HSDPA
  6. iPhone 4S fixes antenna problem for voice quality and WiFi, AirPlay Mirroring, 1080p video recording, and voice assistant Siri built in.
  7. “Wake me up tomorrow at 6am” prompts Siri to set a new alarm for you for 6am in the clock app
  8. iPhone 4S goes up to 64GB at $399!!!
  9. Sprint iPhone officially announced: on sale October 14.
  10. Also available on Verizon and AT&T, pre-order October 7th
+virtual rep/thanks

Saved me from slogging through the thread and liveblogs.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:28 PM   #234
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Well, Apple is king of refreshes. They got that down to a science.

It still isn't a bad phone, I just think the competition is too close for them to able to get away with it this time. They could always lower prices a little to ease the pain (lol).

Also RIP iPod Classics. Last of the large storage MP3 players. Who would have thought that the 80 and 120GB players Apple and MS were pushing out a few years ago would go the way of the dodo, and we'd be stuck with 64GBs as our max storage capabilities. Sometimes technology just makes me have a sad.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8

Last edited by Perky McGiggles : Oct 4, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:32 PM   #235
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
Well, Apple is king of refreshes. They got that down to a science.

It still isn't a bad phone, I just think the competition is too close for them to able to get away with it this time. They could always lower prices a little to ease the pain (lol).

Also RIP iPod Classics. Last of the large storage MP3 players.
Well the problem is, Android has new phones like every day.......And theres would be like 10 flagship models (likely all very similar) in addition to several mid-tier phones.
While Iphone seemingly sticks with their one design for like a year before refreshing.
WP7 seems to be following apple's model but they have the luxury of multiple phones instead of just the one (but those manufacturers seemingly stick hard to the minimum requirements, kind of limiting choice).
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:33 PM   #236
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

^I'm pretty happy mp3 players are more or less moving completely to solid state. Skipping HDs, no thanks.

Capacity will go back up once SSD tech develops. Plus who carries that much music on a regular basis anyways?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:42 PM   #237
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

The iPod Classic is still alive.

Just not being updated nor does it need to.

Now Zune, that poor thing was put out of its misery today.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:42 PM   #238
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
^I'm pretty happy mp3 players are more or less moving completely to solid state. Skipping HDs, no thanks.

Capacity will go back up once SSD tech develops. Plus who carries that much music on a regular basis anyways?
Elysian apparently.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:54 PM   #239
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

iPhone 4S = "meh" (to me)

I have a 3GS and will upgrade eventually to a 4S when AT$T gives me a decent price. No rush.

Glad the screen resolution didn't change as that'd make my job kinda sucky for awhile.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 03:55 PM   #240
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

So it got a A5 processor and 4G speed. Android users, exactly why is this phone underpowered? Is there something out there this phone wont run extremely well? If so what is it? I understand they didn't raise the bar, but I am under the impression this phone catches them up hardware and data wise at least. If I am wrong, let me know, I am not here to argue.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote