Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 26, 2011, 12:55 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by efin View Post
I thought it wasn't out yet - just someone had successfully done it.
I noticed on engadget that they put an their Android running Touchpad on ebay for $500 and it already had one bid. They also said there were more touchpads on the way. Perhaps they are trying to turn a tiny profit first.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:49 PM   #182
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

efin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Well yeah, but it's not out for mass consumption is what I mean. All I'm saying is why not tweak up WebOS and see how good it can be before just diving into Android?
efin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:53 PM   #183
Hack1903
Radeon 8500

Hack1903 is still being judged by the masses

The App market.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:59 PM   #184
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack1903 View Post
The App market.
So it would be better if it ran iOS
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:02 PM   #185
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

efin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Right... so stay with a laggy WebOS device until Android is freely available to install on your Touchpad. Makes perfect sense, gotcha.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:29 PM   #186
drspangle
Radeon Arctic Islands

drspangle is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Right... so stay with a laggy WebOS device until Android is freely available to install on your Touchpad. Makes perfect sense, gotcha.
The guides/tweaks I've seen claim to have it running really well (http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html) - also includes OCing up to 1.5 or 1.7 ghz.

I've always wanted a webos device since I first saw it... so I'm fingers crossed that these tweaks + preware homebrew apps/community (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps) will make it interesting enough to keep as a webos device (the fact that they've raised over 11k in the last 10 days (http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-our-love.html) and there are probably ~half a million webos tablets out there gives me some hope in that regard also). Worst case, it browses the internet, does chat, epicurious, skype, that's what I would want out of a tablet anyway.

On the Android front, the first video was faked, but there are the Qualcomm developed ones that are running Android 2.2 - no one in the dev arena has their hands on one yet, so no idea if all the hardware actually works.... if they can get honeycomb or better yet ice cream sandwich on it then that'd be a super option though.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 02:58 PM   #187
shady078
Radeon R700

shady078 is still being judged by the masses

WebOS isn't very laggy after you patch it with some of the homebrew fixes on Preware..

by default WebOS does so much system logging (it even logs dropped packets by default) that it bogs the OS down more than it should be.

patches to disable those unnecessary logs and increase touch sensitivity and smoothness combined with an updated kernel to allow overclocking will leave you with a very responsive tablet that is a joy to use.
Gigabyte X58A-U3DR
Sapphire HD7970 3GB
OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD (OS Drive) fw-1.41
WD Caviar 500GB 7200rpm hdd w/16mb cache
Antec TruePower Trio 850 Modular Power Supply
Silverstone Raven RV-02
Windows 7 Profesional x64
Apple 27" LED Cinema Display
shady078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:08 PM   #188
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspangle View Post
The guides/tweaks I've seen claim to have it running really well (http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html) - also includes OCing up to 1.5 or 1.7 ghz.

I've always wanted a webos device since I first saw it... so I'm fingers crossed that these tweaks + preware homebrew apps/community (http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps) will make it interesting enough to keep as a webos device (the fact that they've raised over 11k in the last 10 days (http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-our-love.html) and there are probably ~half a million webos tablets out there gives me some hope in that regard also). Worst case, it browses the internet, does chat, epicurious, skype, that's what I would want out of a tablet anyway.

On the Android front, the first video was faked, but there are the Qualcomm developed ones that are running Android 2.2 - no one in the dev arena has their hands on one yet, so no idea if all the hardware actually works.... if they can get honeycomb or better yet ice cream sandwich on it then that'd be a super option though.
Where did you read that the Android video was faked? There's rips of the Android ones already.
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3692
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:24 PM   #189
drspangle
Radeon Arctic Islands

drspangle is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Where did you read that the Android video was faked? There's rips of the Android ones already.
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3692
This one specifically - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1233229

(i think the one promising install guide/video, not sure if there was ever one of him running it. I got this mixed up with thevideo of one of the store bought ones already running android)

I guess those are the Qualcomm dumps?

Last edited by drspangle : Aug 26, 2011 at 03:26 PM.
drspangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:30 PM   #190
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspangle View Post
This one specifically - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1233229

(i think the one promising install guide/video, not sure if there was ever one of him running it. I got this mixed up with thevideo of one of the store bought ones already running android)

I guess those are the Qualcomm dumps?
That's just one video that's fake, there are other real videos out there.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 08:11 AM   #191
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:53 AM   #192
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

not sure if this has been said yet but, BESTBUY employee gets first dibs, my nephew works for them and he just told me about it when they came in.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:55 AM   #193
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
not sure if this has been said yet but, BESTBUY employee gets first dibs, my nephew works for them and he just told me about it when they came in.
As it should be in my opinion, I hold no grudge against management/companies that allow it. Usually they limit them to one an employee but it's a perk for working there. Its sucks for us regular customers, but hey if you want that random great deal that comes along once in a blue moon get a job at a BB
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:28 AM   #194
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiro View Post
As it should be in my opinion, I hold no grudge against management/companies that allow it. Usually they limit them to one an employee but it's a perk for working there. Its sucks for us regular customers, but hey if you want that random great deal that comes along once in a blue moon get a job at a BB
i don't have a problem with it either as long as its one per person was just letting people know why there isn't much stock if they go waiting in line, also supposedly there was some bb manager that was trying to get rid of 50 of them on craigslist though
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:20 PM   #195
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Touchpad

I own both a touchpad and a transformer. After following the guide on precentral the touchpad is a completely new running machine, a joy to work with. Will it replace my tranformer no. But the only thing really lacking is the app market after the patches WebOS is a great tablet to work with. I much prefer it to IOS and yes I have owned both. Not trying to start a flame war different people like different things. Now my son has autism and nothing comes close to the IPad and its apps for autism to meeting his needs so in his case Apple and their app market is a godsend to us.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:52 PM   #196
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

fO Che -USA- is still being judged by the masses

My Touchpad will be here tomorrow. Can't wait, just I hope I get a good overclocker.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:28 AM   #197
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My Touchpads should be here tomorrow as well. I'll tweak them but beyond that they'll go straight into my mom's and sisters hands until Android is fully compatible.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:38 AM   #198
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

At work today we had an email from hp that said they were continuing webOS support and OTA updates they're just not going to build hardware anymore.

Kind of interesting I would like to play with webOS first before I write it off. But I totally agree if they get Ice-cream sandwich on this mofo I'll switch in a heartbeat.

I hear its almost impossible to brick a touchpad!
Old Aug 30, 2011, 07:34 AM   #199
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Interestingly enough because of this fire sale, by the time HP depletes it's parts and finishes making all the rest they will have have almost an equal amount of WebOS tablets out there as there are Android tablets.

Also check this out:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110829PD210.html
It appears that Samsung has some interest in WebOS.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:43 PM   #200
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fO Che -USA- View Post
At work today we had an email from hp that said they were continuing webOS support and OTA updates they're just not going to build hardware anymore.

Kind of interesting I would like to play with webOS first before I write it off. But I totally agree if they get Ice-cream sandwich on this mofo I'll switch in a heartbeat.

I hear its almost impossible to brick a touchpad!
I wonder if this is a sign that HP hopes to keep WebOS going through third party hardware. Seems kind of strange to even bother finishing up work on a tablet you just killed.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 01:45 PM   #201
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Interestingly enough because of this fire sale, by the time HP depletes it's parts and finishes making all the rest they will have have almost an equal amount of WebOS tablets out there as there are Android tablets.
Maybe those crazy bastards figured out the only way to save WebOS was to virtually give away enough tablets until they got substantial market share. Then sell OS licences to 3rd parties.

I wonder if they expected them to sell anywhere near as fast as they did.

BTW... HP's website says they are going to be making more touchpads available in the coming weeks and months. I wonder whats up with that? Maybe referbed or recalled units?

edit
Quote:
Despite announcing an end to manufacturing webOS hardware, we have decided to produce one last run of TouchPads to meet unfulfilled demand. We don’t know exactly when these units will be available or how many we’ll get, and we can’t promise we’ll have enough for everyone. We do know that it will be at least a few weeks before you can purchase. See more information in the updated FAQs below.
so one last run. That sure seems strange

Last edited by aviphysics : Aug 30, 2011 at 01:50 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 03:44 PM   #202
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

You know after using WebOS for a few days if it had the apps that IOS and Android had I sorta prefer it over both. I have not touched my transformer since I got this thing. I don't know maybe after the new wears off. And I regain my senses I will go back but for right now I really like this thing. But you have to patch it before it is usable. And overclock the crap out of it.

Last edited by kytprice : Aug 30, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:02 PM   #203
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

so hp is making more touchpads to meet demand. i wonder if they will bump the price up ...i would like to get one, but if they start selling it at a price point higher then what they are currently, then they can keep it.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:15 PM   #204
Xiro
Oo

Xiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyXiro can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Id like HP to ship me the one I bought 10days ago.

Sent from my DROIDX
Xiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:01 AM   #205
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'll buy one of the 32GB for $200. Not even flinch.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:15 AM   #206
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

Typing this from my touchpad with patches. Wow this is great little device. Now for overclocking. What works best for you guys?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:19 AM   #207
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
I'll buy one of the 32GB for $200. Not even flinch.
PFF good luck. All the ebay bids Ive seen puts them well over 300$. I refuse to bid more than 230$ for one.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 01:23 AM   #208
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
Maybe those crazy bastards figured out the only way to save WebOS was to virtually give away enough tablets until they got substantial market share. Then sell OS licences to 3rd parties.

I wonder if they expected them to sell anywhere near as fast as they did.

BTW... HP's website says they are going to be making more touchpads available in the coming weeks and months. I wonder whats up with that? Maybe referbed or recalled units?

edit

so one last run. That sure seems strange
they totally farked this situation up they should have come out and said exactly what your suggesting. Everyone knows without a large user base webOS would never take off.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:42 PM   #209
Poacan
Boobs

Poacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPoacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fO Che -USA- View Post
Typing this from my touchpad with patches. Wow this is great little device. Now for overclocking. What works best for you guys?
Been using UberKernel and Govnah from Preware. Have it sitting at 1.5ghz with no issues.
Poacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:49 PM   #210
fO Che -USA-
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacan View Post
Been using UberKernel and Govnah from Preware. Have it sitting at 1.5ghz with no issues.
yep I'm on Uberkernel now to runs almost flawlessly . I love this damn thing.