Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:47 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:58 PM   #152
Poacan
Boobs

Poacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPoacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Got confirmation on my 2nd Touchpad, the 32GB one. Should get it tomorrow. Gonna mess with Preware on it and some of the other goodies I couldn't with my Pre-.
Poacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:00 PM   #153
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacan View Post
Got confirmation on my 2nd Touchpad, the 32GB one. Should get it tomorrow. Gonna mess with Preware on it and some of the other goodies I couldn't with my Pre-.
Pre-?
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 23, 2011, 07:06 PM   #154
Poacan
Boobs

Poacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPoacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That's what the community started calling it. The original Sprint Pre.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:42 PM   #155
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Such a pain in the a to find one of these things...and i dont even need a tablet.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:07 PM   #156
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

so apparently one of my friend who order a touchpad 6 hours after me at barnes and noble, and 2 of them at that, is gonna get his but i won't, what the heck is that all about?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 03:54 PM   #157
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

efin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badges

For those of you who snagged one and want to tweak it up a bit:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html
efin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 04:51 PM   #158
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

If the TouchPad has the same codes as the original Pre you could also use: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:02 PM   #159
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBlues View Post
so apparently one of my friend who order a touchpad 6 hours after me at barnes and noble, and 2 of them at that, is gonna get his but i won't, what the heck is that all about?
Did they pay extra for priority shipping?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:05 PM   #160
Poacan
Boobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
If the TouchPad has the same codes as the original Pre you could also use: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Na, they changed the code for developer mode. Already tweaked up my 32gb pad and it's a lot smoother now and very responsive. So far I'm happy with it, not to mention flash support for many websites.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 07:08 PM   #161
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Saggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Apparently I got a confirmation for one of these I ordered over the weekend. Not sure if anything has shipped and nothing is on my credit card. I figured I may not be getting one of these things after every site was either bogged down or out of stock. I'll have to upgrade that to 'may or may not' be getting one, until further notice.
Saggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2011, 08:51 PM   #162
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Did they pay extra for priority shipping?
nope normal regular shipping, which is why i said WTF???
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:46 PM   #163
Fat_Daddy_Cool
Poundmaker's Descent

Fat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Ice Cream Sandwich brings UI hardware acceleration to the phones. If you've ever used Honeycomb 3.1 or 3.2 on the Xoom you'll know the lag you talked about doesn't exist.

Touch being inaccurate is entirely on Samsung, I've done multitouch tester on my Xoom, 10 independent touch points track 100% accurately.
+ same here
Fat_Daddy_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:39 AM   #164
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Ice Cream Sandwich brings UI hardware acceleration to the phones. If you've ever used Honeycomb 3.1 or 3.2 on the Xoom you'll know the lag you talked about doesn't exist.

yes, and this is why samsung galaxy s 2 is so fast on UI, and browser.

It is only because of hardware accerleration built in from stock.

so once android has icecream rom. most phone should be as fast as samsung galaxy s 2 when it comes to browsing .
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:44 PM   #165
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
The difference being there's not much a user can do to screw up a touchpad. You can install all sorts of crapware to a PC or laptop, you can't even get apps on the TP without setting up a webOS store account (cc info and everything) and there's no sideloading. You can't muck around with system files, you really can't do anything besides open the app tray and launch apps.

The performance issues I'm talking about are the same on ALL the touchpads I've demo'd, and some of them have been touched upon by pro reviews as well. The person who buys one for $100 may very well rationalize being able to live with such issue and not say much about it, but it doesn't mean the tablet is without issue.

Just ask any of the guys who bought one recently after a few days of use, I'm sure they'll report the same.
Even before they went on fire sale they had very good user reviews. I guess I can't really explain that but when such a wide gap exists I am inclined to question why. Clearly there is something about the device that actual users appreciated that reviewers and people taking a short in store test drive didn't. Maybe someone else can take a shot at explaining that to me.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:39 PM   #166
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

efin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badgesefin doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Dude. This thing is awesome for watching movies on. Here's a preset for Handbrake that I found and uploaded to my site:

http://efin.meeka.net/touchpad.plist

Right-click/Save As, otherwise I think Quicktime opens it by default. To add it to Handbrake, right-click in the "Presets" box and select Import.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:51 PM   #167
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Was there ever a firmware update released post-launch? If so, could be most shops never bothered to update (like the laggy 3.0 xooms still on display in some places).

Otherwise, I find it hard to believe there would be so many happy users using this device, outside of webos/HP fans who may disregard glaring issues.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:25 PM   #168
Poacan
Boobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by efin View Post
Dude. This thing is awesome for watching movies on. Here's a preset for Handbrake that I found and uploaded to my site:

http://efin.meeka.net/touchpad.plist

Right-click/Save As, otherwise I think Quicktime opens it by default. To add it to Handbrake, right-click in the "Presets" box and select Import.
Tried importing it, failed.

edit: I'm an idiot. Needed to update to .95.

Last edited by Poacan : Aug 25, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:36 PM   #169
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

For those who ordered from hp and still see processing. You should be able to go to fedex and use ur order number as reference and use your zip code and check if it shipped. I checked mine while it still says processing on the hp site it is on the fedex truck in transit already.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:12 PM   #170
Gator
Unreal Android

Gator is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

My TouchPad has arrived! Pretty cool for only $100. I'll post more later.

Now where oh where is the much needed Android ROM
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:27 PM   #171
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
My TouchPad has arrived! Pretty cool for only $100. I'll post more later.

Now where oh where is the much needed Android ROM
congrats.
i got a nice "order cancelled" from amazon and onSale three days after they said the item will be shipped.

Where did you get yours?
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:08 PM   #172
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
congrats.
i got a nice "order cancelled" from amazon and onSale three days after they said the item will be shipped.

Where did you get yours?
I got mine from BestBuy.com

Overall it's an amazing deal at $100. But if I was one of the people that paid +$400, I'd be pissed off.

WebOS is very clunky. It reminds me of a dumb-downed version of Android, trying to be like Apple iOS. It makes complete sense to me why HP just gave up. I'm already kinda bored with it, and eager to install Android.

The TouchPad itself is VERY heavy compared to my wife's iPad2 and my NookColor. It's also much thicker. The body is WAY too smooth too, I feel like it might slip out of my hands if I don't find a rubber skin for it. The screen is pretty responsive though, far more so than my NookColor.

For $100 I have no regrets, and I'm sure I'll like it a lot more than my NookColor once I remove this pesky WebOS.

What I do like about WebOS is the Facebook app. They should make an iPad and Android version just like it.

Last edited by Gator : Aug 25, 2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:10 PM   #173
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

If anyone wants a Touchpad there are tons on ebay right now. $220 or so seems to be the average. Yes it's more but just think of it as someone who stood in line for you so you didn't have to run out and grab one.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:39 PM   #174
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Looks like they hit near 3-350 near the end of the bidding... how can you set it so that bids about to run out are shown first in the list... havent used ebay in ages...

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 19.9.3, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F40 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 19.9.3. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" Upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:57 PM   #175
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
I got mine from BestBuy.com

Overall it's an amazing deal at $100. But if I was one of the people that paid +$400, I'd be pissed off.

WebOS is very clunky. It reminds me of a dumb-downed version of Android, trying to be like Apple iOS. It makes complete sense to me why HP just gave up. I'm already kinda bored with it, and eager to install Android.

The TouchPad itself is VERY heavy compared to my wife's iPad2 and my NookColor. It's also much thicker. The body is WAY too smooth too, I feel like it might slip out of my hands if I don't find a rubber skin for it. The screen is pretty responsive though, far more so than my NookColor.

For $100 I have no regrets, and I'm sure I'll like it a lot more than my NookColor once I remove this pesky WebOS.

What I do like about WebOS is the Facebook app. They should make an iPad and Android version just like it.
That's how I feel about webOS as well, which is why it's funny to me when Apple lovers try to claim webOS is better than Android. Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess. You sure the Facebook app isn't made by HP? Facebook said when the Pre was new that they weren't going to make an app for it until the market was there, which it never was.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:33 AM   #176
drspangle
Radeon Arctic Islands

drspangle is still being judged by the masses

There are lots available in NZ - I ordered one today for $300 (~US$250 - Ipads start at NZ$750). Won't ship for a bit. What exciting things to I have to look forward to (besides installing Android)?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:56 AM   #177
Gator
Unreal Android

Subscriber

Quote:
That's how I feel about webOS as well, which is why it's funny to me when Apple lovers try to claim webOS is better than Android. Whatever helps them sleep at night I guess. You sure the Facebook app isn't made by HP? Facebook said when the Pre was new that they weren't going to make an app for it until the market was there, which it never was.
WebOS feels more like iOS than Android because it's very simplified like iOS. When I finally put my Touchpad down last night and went to check my Android phone for messages, I remembered why I like Android so much more. I love my widgets, tweaks, customizations, complexity, etc, etc. Android is not for everyone, but it is definitely for me.

I think you're right, on the WebOS catalog (App store) it does list the Facebook application author as HP. Kudos to HP then, they make a nice Facebook app. It's literally the best app I've seen so far on WebOS... how sad is that?! Angry Birds HD is pretty good too, but how do you screw that up anyway? I've decided I'm not buying a single app for this thing though, just wait for Android now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drspangle View Post
There are lots available in NZ - I ordered one today for $300 (~US$250 - Ipads start at NZ$750). Won't ship for a bit. What exciting things to I have to look forward to (besides installing Android)?
Absolutely nothing to look forward to on this Touchpad besides Android. The way I see it, I paid a mere $100 for a dual core ~10" tablet with 1GB RAM and 16GB flash. Not bad in that regard, just gotta be patient.

Last edited by Gator : Aug 26, 2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:59 AM   #178
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

In the meantime, have you tried tweaking it up? There's a very concise and straightforward guide on the link I posted a couple days ago. Really speeds this thing up and gives you access to a bunch of homebrew stuff through their app.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:05 AM   #179
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by efin View Post
In the meantime, have you tried tweaking it up? There's a very concise and straightforward guide on the link I posted a couple days ago. Really speeds this thing up and gives you access to a bunch of homebrew stuff through their app.
I thought I saw someone had already gotten android on the Touchpad?
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:10 AM   #180
efin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofslackerz View Post
I thought I saw someone had already gotten android on the Touchpad?
I thought it wasn't out yet - just someone had successfully done it.