Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Aug 5, 2011, 07:41 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Touchpad on sale [merged multiple threads]

http://gizmodo.com/5827927/snag-a-to...d?tag=touchpad

http://gizmodo.com/5828005/hp-touchp...y?tag=touchpad

I played with it yesterday. It's too sluggish for my tastes. I tap on an app and there's a noticeable freeze before it does what I told it to do. HP is close, but so far away from a great tablet. Great alternative if you don't want iOS or Android though.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:48 AM   #2
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Beat me to it....

After a little bit of comparison, between all the things I want to spend $400-$600 on tablets pretty much came in at the bottom of my list. For the time being they are all on the back burner of my heart.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Great design, terrible product. Played with it at Staples the other day and I have to agree with Raz, it's unacceptably slow. I stood around for a minute waiting for it to open up OpenOffice, thought it was wonky so I rebooted it, took like 5 minutes to do that, no change. Even general use of the interface is slow as molasses.

It's got a decent amount of RAM and a good enough CPU, I can only lay the blame on webOS. If they optimize performance in the next update, I might consider it.

I really like the OSD too, one of the best ones I've used on a touch interface.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Aug 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Great design, terrible product. Played with it at Staples the other day and I have to agree with Raz, it's unacceptably slow. I stood around for a minute waiting for it to open up OpenOffice, thought it was wonky so I rebooted it, took like 5 minutes to do that, no change. Even general use of the interface is slow as molasses.

It's got a decent amount of RAM and a good enough CPU, I can only lay the blame on webOS. If they optimize performance in the next update, I might consider it.

I really like the OSD too, one of the best ones I've used on a touch interface.
That was the same issue the Pre had at launch, the OS wasn't optimized at all.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

A shame they didn't learn their lesson then.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

And that's sad, they have total control over the software and hardware. Now I can see why they brought someone else in to head up WebOS.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
And that's sad, they have total control over the software and hardware. Now I can see why they brought someone else in to head up WebOS.
And how it's obviously paying off
Old Aug 5, 2011, 04:27 PM   #9
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

also,

edit: don't forget that officemax/office depot honors the coupons. and staples has free shipping. just walk in, show them this coupon, tell them to **** their warranties, and order it online and ship it to your home for free

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Even with a price cut, this thing still didn't move.

http://allthingsd.com/20110816/ouchp...ld-hp-tablets/

Quote:
According to one source who has seen internal HP reports, Best Buy has taken delivery of 270,000 TouchPads and has so far managed to sell only 25,000, or less than 10 percent of the units in its inventory.
A second person who has seen Best Buy’s TouchPad sales figures confirmed the results as “consistent with what I’ve seen,” and went so far as to say that 25,000 sold might be “charitable.” This source suggested that the 25,000-unit sales number may not account for units that consumers return to stores for a refund.
Even when I see their commercials (even the Android ones), all I hear are them touting hardware specs. It's not about the hardware folks. Why do you think Apple commercials are always about a few apps and what you can do with them?

Last edited by Razeus : Aug 17, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:46 PM   #11
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

You know I would buy one at 170 or so and use it as a digital picture frame. I am serious about that too lol.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:48 PM   #12
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Even when I see their commercials (even the Android ones), all I hear are them touting hardware specs. It's not about the hardware folks. Why do you think Apple commercials are always about a few apps and what you can do with them?
what touchpad commercials have you seen that say a damn thing about hardware specs?

all i've seen are commercials with celebrities either checking to see if they've been knighted or watching the wizard of oz

seriously DOES EVERY THREAD YOU POST IN HAVE TO BE ABOUT APPLE?
Old Aug 18, 2011, 01:10 AM   #13
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I'd pay $300. No more. Taxes included. Free shipping. And it better come with some sweet mobile graphics power.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:12 AM   #14
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropimp View Post
what touchpad commercials have you seen that say a damn thing about hardware specs?

all i've seen are commercials with celebrities either checking to see if they've been knighted or watching the wizard of oz

every thread? really? i think you're seeing what you want to see.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:18 AM   #15
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
every thread? really? i think you're seeing what you want to see.
all I saw was this

Quote:
all iEverything
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:12 PM   #16
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

Firesale on touchpads is happening right now. Multiple outlets (including HPs own site) are selling the base model for $99.
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:17 PM   #17
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropimp View Post

Nah, he is usually invisible when it comes to things like Apple manipulating photo's in their lawsuits in Europe (Germany and Holland) regarding Samsung's products in comparisons.

The distortion field is strong in this one
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:32 PM   #18
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

if I already didn't have a galaxy tab 10.1, the touchpad for $99 is a no brainer
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:55 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMunEeE View Post
if I already didn't have a galaxy tab 10.1, the touchpad for $99 is a no brainer
Except for the fact it will lose support almost immediately. No developer is going to step up now that HP is dropping WebOS, the ecosystem might as well be considered dead already.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:27 PM   #20
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I'm not seeing the Touchpad listed anywhere for $99, HP's website appears to show it listed at $399 and it's apparently "Out of stock" or something.

Edit: Never mind I see the articles mention they're going on sale like this tomorrow it looks like. Interesting. I wonder if you could slide a Honeycomb OS build on to that 1.2Ghz dual core machine.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)

Last edited by shrike126 : Aug 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:57 PM   #21
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

You know... For a 10" tablet that has Amazon's Kindle app, offers web browsing and email, for $99... That's not a bad bargain.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:17 PM   #22
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Except that it runs like a bag of ass and won't be supported... And Honeycomb? Doubt that would ever happen.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:38 PM   #23
Ciera
Bueno

Ciera is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I wonder if you could slide a Honeycomb OS build on to that 1.2Ghz dual core machine.
i'm picking one up just for this very reason. it may take a while but android roms for this should pop up sooner or later. until then, this should make a cheap skype video terminal.
Ciera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:47 PM   #24
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Default HP TOUCH PAD 32gb 149.99 16gb 99.99

Still available at HP website.

Use SAVE30HP to save another 30 off the 32gb

USE SAVE15HP to save 15 off the 16gb

Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:38 AM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

It's still $399 on the HP site... Supposedly going to be marked down on the US sites in the morning. Also out of stock...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:40 AM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I think I may get one for my mom, she's not a techie.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:09 AM   #27
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Yea it went out of stock. I did order mine going thru EPP part of the site at 12:20ish am EST as per my screenshot.

Old Aug 20, 2011, 02:25 AM   #28
Zero
Sass hole

I can' believe you guys would actually consider buying these. They're dead products for a reason, y'know... Android support on these will take a while if it ever happens at all. And it's not like the hardware is anything special. Seems like a waste of money to me...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 20, 2011, 05:26 AM   #29
necropimp
666 Flavors

necropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird singsnecropimp knows why the caged bird sings

dead products are no less fun to dick about with
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:24 AM   #30
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPr3tty F1y can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Purchased a 32gb model on MicroCenter.

Still no confirmation e-mail so this probably won't end well.

But this will be a good toy. I'm shipping off my Sylvania G-Netbook (1.2ghz Via C7-M) to my brother as a backup in case his PC goes tits up. It was a fun little project for loading WinXP on to it, despite the amazing slowness of the 3600rpm HDD.

The HP TouchPad will be another fun toy. I'm just hoping that I'll actually get it.

Edit: w00t! Order confirmed.

Even if I can never do anything with it beyond what the machine comes with, it's still a fantastic deal.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER

Last edited by Pr3tty F1y : Aug 20, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote