Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:10 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You mean the 2mpixel pos its got?

I'm here with a somewhat nerdy friend of mine, he just showed me Minecraft magnets
Um, nobody brings an iPad around to a bar and takes a picture of their drink to post on a nerdy hardware forum.

LMAO, that made me chuckle.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:16 PM   #152
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Um, nobody brings an iPad around to a bar and takes a picture of their drink to post on a nerdy hardware forum.

i have a ipad2 and it 's camera is crap indoors, it's ok outside but not as goog as my transformer
just wish the ipad and transformer had a photo flash like the xoom
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:17 PM   #153
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33975662

14 pages of thread begs to differ.

This bar is special, over 300 beers available at any given time.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:18 PM   #154
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

I am drinking a cup of water. What part of this image is that bad that I can't get the message across?

Camera phones are just camera phones, they'll always be normal. You don't have zoom lenses or prime lenses for these things.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:19 PM   #155
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

The graph is for all mobile devices. Get it right.
I'm having a hard time reconciling this image against the info here:
http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os...-200812-201106

Is the Apple info U.S. only because I don't see Symbian on Apple's chart. Android's pink line is climbing while the iOS line is dropping.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:20 PM   #156
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33975662

14 pages of thread begs to differ.

This bar is special, over 300 beers available at any given time.
?? Those are taken by camera phones, and most of the posts are by you, so what's your point?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:23 PM   #157
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
?? Those are taken by camera phones, and most of the posts are by you, so what's your point?
People take pictures of alcoholic beverages and post them on nerd forums?? You just called my Xoom a 'cameraphone' and said that people don't do exactly what I'm doing so I must ask, wtf is your point? You're wrong, especially about the 'majority' being mine
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:32 PM   #158
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I'm having a hard time reconciling this image against the info here:

Is the Apple info U.S. only because I don't see Symbian on Apple's chart. Android's pink line is climbing while the iOS line is dropping.
I think thats US mobile OS overall (on phones and tablets).

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:37 PM   #159
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Even if you change the chart to reflect only USA products, that just makes it even less clear where Apple got their numbers. You still don't have Symbian on Apple's chart at all, Android and iOS show a near tie.

Actually I think it graph's an interesting trend if you go back to 2008...

"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:47 PM   #160
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Is symbian relevant in the us market today? They might be focusing on OSs/brands that are on phones AND tablets. I also dot know how reliable that website is for it's data.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:51 PM   #161
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
The pie chart is worldwide. iOS > Android in places such as Europe easily.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 06:54 PM   #162
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
I would expect Symbian or BB to still be more represented over there actually.

Seeing as Apple never properly sources these numbers, it's questionable as more than PR though...

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:00 PM   #163
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Okay so I watched the WWDC stuff and I'm curious about some of Apple's claims here.

For instance in this video:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios

I take issue with this...
Quote:
...with the iPad, we invented a whole new category.
Is Apple taking credit for inventing the "tablet" or are they just arguing that they've made it really popular? (which I don't disagree with)

They're adding notifications in a drop-down menu as seen on Android which I approve of, this is something the iPhone's been lacking for a bit. But the quote from the video is like "we've created a brand new way to handle this." Which uh... brand new to the iOS or to Androi... errr Smartphones in general? Hearing him describe how you can "swipe down" to see notifications as if this was the greatest thing ever was very meh. Does this mean Samsung gets to sue Apple for copying Touchwiz?

The rest of the stuff seems pretty par for the course. Things like Twitter being integrated into the OS are nice features that I'm glad to have on HTC Sense products and seeing Apple follow HTC & Samsung's lead in this is nice. Tabbed browsing has been here a while so it's good to see Apple catching up in this area. The same with using a physical key for camera shutter action.

The integrated split-key keyboards for tablets is awesome. I've played with a few on other devices but no other OS that I'm aware of does this yet, good move here and I hope other non-iOS OSes follow suit! AirPlay is also a cool feature and definitely user friendly. If AirPlay compatibility takes off, I'll be happy about this since it will prompt other companies to do this too.

Offering wireless activation, app purchases and installs is soooo 2010. Welcome to the game Apple. Seriously it's about damned time they severed that iTunes desktop sync umbilical. This I think was a huge WTF notion in my mind and really I can only say it's about damned time.

A lot of what I saw is very revolutionary but nothing evolutionary. I'm really glad Apple's made these changes as it steps up the iOS game and makes me really curious to see what Google comes back with. At the end of the day, it's really the consumers that benefit from this competition.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:01 PM   #164
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
That's the whole point, I'm assuming it IS including overseas data in which case excluding Symbian OS entirely from the chart makes no sense.

According to Wiki (and I'm not making a claim as to the exact accuracy of this data) we should see Symbian at least as a blip on the worldwide OS chart:
Quote:
Devices based on Symbian accounted for 29.2% of worldwide smartphone market share in 2011 Q1.[5] Some estimates indicate that the cumulative number of mobile devices shipped with the Symbian OS up to the end of Q2 2010 is 385 million.[6
Amusingly enough the Wiki article's source for the data comes from an Apple Insider article cited here. Which shows Apple as having a 5% market share.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by shrike126 : Jun 6, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:06 PM   #165
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Okay so I watched the WWDC stuff and I'm curious about some of Apple's claims here.

For instance in this video:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios

I take issue with this...

Is Apple taking credit for inventing the "tablet" or are they just arguing that they've made it really popular? (which I don't disagree with)
Show me a non-Apple product that does what the iPad does before the iPad was announced...

/awaits your link.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:12 PM   #166
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Seriously Apple I'm having a ****ing hard time finding ANYTHING that suggests a 44% share of the market in mobile OS.

28.6% market share as of Nov 2010
26% in US according to ComScore

I'm all for good PR in slides but I'm really having a hard time finding anything close to these numbers reported somewhere other than in Apple's marketing slides. Do they publish this same sort of "accurate" numbers in their financials?

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:18 PM   #167
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

The chart has been sourced by Apple using verfiable data from a well known stat company. Stop grabbing at straws.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:23 PM   #168
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Show me a non-Apple product that does what the iPad does before the iPad was announced...

/awaits your link.
Microsoft's offered a tablet PC OS for a while now. It just wasn't popularized until the iOS landed on the iPad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:23 PM   #169
Zero
Sass hole

The two links you provided are for hardware sales of mobile phones (dumb phone included). Apple is likely spinning it to be a comparison of mobile OS market share by devices (phones, tablets, PMPs) shared by a common brand/maker. In other words, you'd be looking at the entire market of mobile devices consisting of iphones, iPads, iPod touches, blackberries, playbooks, android phones and tablets.

Even still BB should be more represented than 19% imo.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:24 PM   #170
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
The chart has been sourced by Apple using verfiable data from a well known stat company. Stop grabbing at straws.
In that case I missed the source entirely while grabbing at the entire internet. I am absolutely curious where the data came from though, sincerely what was their source?

/awaits your link

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:27 PM   #171
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Microsoft's offered a tablet PC OS for a while now. It just wasn't popularized until the iOS landed on the iPad.

I think the claim is based on UX streamlining and ecosystem availability. WinXP tablet didn't run well from what I remembered, wasn't optimized for streamlined usage, and had inconsistent performance with available software because of hardware limitation and fragmentation.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:27 PM   #172
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
In that case I missed the source entirely while grabbing at the entire internet. I am absolutely curious where the data came from though, sincerely what was their source?

/awaits your link

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/w...ion-icloud-an/
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:30 PM   #173
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

Much like the iPhone. MS also had smartphones too, but they do so well with this stuff.

That Windows tablet you linked is nothing like the iPad. Touch, gestures, apps, connectivity?
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:30 PM   #174
Zero
Sass hole

http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...r_Market_Share

That's still phones only, and the numbers don't jive.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:33 PM   #175
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Here's a link to comScore's website, can you find those numbers?

I can't find those numbers anywhere, hence it wasn't sourced correctly or they just made stuff up. I'm sincerely still looking for something that reflects a 44% mobile OS market share anywhere.

/still awaiting a link

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:39 PM   #176
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Here's a link to comScore's website, can you find those numbers?

I can't find those numbers anywhere, hence it wasn't sourced correctly or they just made stuff up. I'm sincerely still looking for something that reflects a 44% mobile OS market share anywhere.

/still awaiting a link
You just linked me to tables that aren't in the graphic.

Your link shows:

1) Manufacture market share (people who make mobile phones)
2) Smartphone OS (yes, Google has a great % here in smartphones only)
3) Content usage (how users use their phones)

What you need is the table for mobile OS in aggregate, across all devices. Meaning iOS for both phone and tablet, and Android for both phone and tablet.

You can't find it because you're clearly looking at the wrong data types.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:47 PM   #177
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
You just linked me to tables that aren't in the graphic.

Your link shows:

1) Manufacture market share (people who make mobile phones)
2) Smartphone OS (yes, Google has a great % here in smartphones only)
3) Content usage (how users use their phones)

What you need is the table for mobile OS in aggregate, across all devices. Meaning iOS for both phone and tablet, and Android for both phone and tablet.

You can't find it because you're clearly looking at the wrong data types.
I agree that I'm not finding an aggregate number across all mobile types, phones and tablets. But I'm having a hard time reconciling the 44% even assuming there's a hidden mysterious tablet OS number in an unreleased comScore result that pushes Apple's iOS that high. If they do include tablet as a form factor, are they excluding laptops as not being mobile enough?

In my job I work in mobile OS space and I'm really curious if that 44% is valid for iOS but I'm not finding it anywhere or even a data set that is suggestive of their number without doing a lot of bad math and selective exclusion.

For instance in the OEM section, if they're counting ALL of Apple's products (i.e. phones and tablets) against all of Samsungs products (phones and tablets), Moto's products (phones and tablets)... I'm still not seeing the 44%.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:48 PM   #178
Zero
Sass hole

iOS doesn't run on laptops, so I would assume it's not included in their calculations.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:48 PM   #179
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I agree that I'm not finding an aggregate number across all mobile types, phones and tablets. But I'm having a hard time reconciling the 44% even assuming there's a hidden mysterious tablet OS number in an unreleased comScore result that pushes Apple's iOS that high. If they do include tablet as a form factor, are they excluding laptops as not being mobile enough?

In my job I work in mobile OS space and I'm really curious if that 44% is valid for iOS but I'm not finding it anywhere or even a data set that is suggestive of their number without doing a lot of bad math and selective exclusion.
I'm pretty sure it doens't include laptops. I'm sure it's just smartphones and tablets (and Apple's iPod Touch thrown in).
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:51 PM   #180
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

I assumed as much which is why I looked towards the OEM market results but that just confused me more since I figured total Samsung versus total Apple would be an Apples to Apples comparison (pun intended). I know the OEM is share of mobile subscribers, which I expect isn't counting WiFi only models of the iPad, Xoom or Galaxy Tab type products, but is that really enough to bump Apple from 8.3% to 44% aggregate across ALL mobile OS platforms?

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote: