Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:01 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Awesome iOS and cloud update! I really can't come up with anymore things that I need on my iPhone. It's complete now

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:01 PM   #92
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
How does it not matter? They are condoning piracy here.
If I had to geuss, because you being charged a flat fee anyway.

*edit* DigitalDemon got it

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:02 PM   #93
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
How much money do they get from pirates in the first place? $0

How much money do they get from pirates using iTunes Match? $25yr times the number of accounts that sign up, which is gonna be huge.
Not nearly as huge as people who purchase legitimitely.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:02 PM   #94
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

What about music that's not in the library?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:02 PM   #95
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
How much money do they get from pirates in the first place? $0

How much money do they get from pirates using iTunes Match? $25yr times the number of accounts that sign up, which is gonna be huge.
Exactly. Looks like the industry finally realized they can't beat piracy. So iTunes thinks of a service like this and they can get a cut of the pie this way.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:03 PM   #96
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
What about music that's not in the library?
If it can be match to iTunes, even if you didn't buy it in iTunes, it's available. But I'm sure there are legions of obscure titles and indie music out there that's not available.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:04 PM   #97
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Now we have to wait until September. Possibly the end of November. Sigh...

I wonder how they plan to pay for iCloud since it's free. It doesn't have ad services...
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:07 PM   #98
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
How does it not matter? They are condoning piracy here.
How the hell are they condoning piracy because you can upload songs!?! So google is condoning piracy because they have links to piratebay?

It's a service, what you do with it is not their problem

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:08 PM   #99
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How the hell are they condoning piracy because you can upload songs!?! So google is condoning piracy because they have links to piratebay?
You need to understand how Elysian works...
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:09 PM   #100
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
You need to understand how Elysian works...
Logically? They're replacing music you stole with shiny new high quality mp3's, and I'm the one who's crazy?

Not to mention Raz, you're the one who thinks uploads take 'weeks' like Apple says. Hilarity ensues.

Last edited by Elysian : Jun 6, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:10 PM   #101
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Logically? They're replacing music you stole with shiny new high quality mp3's, and I'm the one who's crazy?
I'm no. They aren't replacing anything. They are making them available to you with 256k quality. They aren't giving them to you. So if you happen to have a 128k mp3, it'll stream in 256k quality, but you don't get the 256k file.

Edit:
Quote:
If any songs don't match they'll be uploaded for you. Anything that's matched is upgraded to 256Kbps AAC, without DRM
I'll need to look into this. It seems even if they can't find a match, they'll upload the song for you to the cloud.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:11 PM   #102
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I'm no. They aren't replacing anything. They are making them available to you with 256k quality. They aren't giving them to you. So if you happen to have a 128k mp3, it'll stream in 256k quality, but you don't get the 256k file.
And that's not giving it to you? Available any time? Your logic is flawed.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:14 PM   #103
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
And that's not giving it to you? Available any time? Your logic is flawed.
In other words, it won't be on your hard drive. Are you that dense? You won't have the physical file to put on your Zune or Android device for example (unless you buy it for $1.29 of course).
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:19 PM   #104
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

iTunes beta with iCloud in the Mac software update now.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:32 PM   #105
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Apple.com is updated.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

Quote:
If you want all the benefits of iTunes in the Cloud for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution. It lets you store your entire collection, including music you’ve ripped from CDs or purchased somewhere other than iTunes. For just $24.99 a year.

Here’s how it works: iTunes determines which songs in your collection are available in the iTunes Store. Any music with a match is automatically added to your iCloud library for you to listen to anytime, on any device. Since there are more than 18 million songs in the iTunes Store, most of your music is probably already in iCloud. All you have to upload is what iTunes can’t match. Which is much faster than starting from scratch. And all the music iTunes matches plays back at 256-Kbps iTunes Plus quality — even if your original copy was of lower quality.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:44 PM   #106
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
I wonder if Amazon and Google will simply match the price. It's not like they can't or don't have the infrastructure to do so. Just hits the margins, I'm sure.
Interestingly, Apple lied about how much it'd cost on Amazon, according to the WSJ. Apple said 20k songs would cost $200/yr on Amazon, when it'd actually cost $100/yr at the current price. Still not $25/yr, but also it'd be nice if Steve Jobs didn't say these kinds of things. Right?

Last edited by vitocorleone : Jun 6, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
vitocorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:50 PM   #107
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Awesome iOS and cloud update! I really can't come up with anymore things that I need on my iPhone. It's complete now
I'd go even farther and say this basically eliminates all my needs for a jailbreak. I've always said "Apple gimme a Lockinfo lockscreen and I promise I won't jailbreak again."

Also, I wonder how the iTunes Match actually works - is it by the id3 tag or rather by the audio data of a song (kinda lika Shazam)? Upon further thinking this through it wouldn't make sense for it to be tag based- that way you'd just edit any tag to anything you'd wish to "get for free" from the icloud.

Last edited by globalist : Jun 6, 2011 at 03:14 PM.
globalist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:53 PM   #108
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I do believe Apple understand the cloud concept and what people want from a music service. It's a shame all the cellular networks and most of the broadband providers are now bandwidth capped with overage fees.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 02:55 PM   #109
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Not to mention Raz, you're the one who thinks uploads take 'weeks' like Apple says. Hilarity ensues.
Side note on 'weeks'

It would take a 44 days minimum of continuous MANUAL uploading of my music to somewhere like Amazon cloud storage, plus the $500 a year to store it at Amazon.

Apple's solution makes sense.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:00 PM   #110
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

as much as i am a fan of apple hate, the icloud services is pretty good, especially with those bandwidth caps in place.

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:11 PM   #111
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:

My collection would take weeks. I have 250GB in music files alone. Don't get me started on the cost. So now I'll have my ENTIRE catalog in the cloud for only $25 a year for UNLIMITED space. Amazon/Google just got TKO'd. I'll be taking off the Pandora app soon.

edit: It appears via rumors that there's a cap of 20,000 songs as per my graphic above. Can't confirm this number though as I can't tell if it's an example (to take a shot at Google) or actual cap.

Last edited by Razeus : Jun 6, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:36 PM   #112
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
Uh... so... so far I'm completely underwhelmed by anything announced for iOS5 and iCloud. Hmm.

I think it's a combo of my jadedness plus a disappointing (to me) roll-out of little features rather than an updated experience. On the plus side, as Jobs said, I have no doubt that "it'll just work".
Underwhelmed!??!?!

They're giving you pretty much FREE songs (25 a YEAR? I spend more on food a day than that) on iTunes to match your entire music library, there's a FREE cloud service and their next gen OS is 30 bucks, that's half the price of an AAA grade game.

What more do you want?
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:38 PM   #113
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
In other words, great way for the RIAA to track those pirates down!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:42 PM   #114
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Underwhelmed!??!?!

They're giving you pretty much FREE songs (25 a YEAR? I spend more on food a day than that) on iTunes to match your entire music library, there's a FREE cloud service and their next gen OS is 30 bucks, that's half the price of an AAA grade game.

What more do you want?
I think iOS 5 will be a fully complete mobile OS, finally. There's not much more I can think of to add or enhance. They took cues from Android and Palm, and the right cues. Notifications, info on the lock-screen, wi-fi sync, camera available from the lock screen (hopefully can be mapped to a different camera app) and OTA updates were my top requests. The iCloud just makes things even better and seems all my gear will function as one with it.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:44 PM   #115
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
In other words, great way for the RIAA to track those pirates down!
going to have to read that EULA carefully...

I wonder how this will affect future capacities of iDevices. Was hoping for a 128GB iPhone soon...
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:09 PM   #116
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Videos up, for people like me who didnt care to watch and follow on blogs:

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...iqubf06/event/

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios5/gallery.html#video-ios

Last edited by logical : Jun 6, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:17 PM   #117
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
It appears via rumors that there's a cap of 20,000 songs as per my graphic above. Can't confirm this number though as I can't tell if it's an example (to take a shot at Google) or actual cap.
I really want to know what the cap is. Somehow I don't see Apple offering unlimited cloud storage for $25/yr.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:18 PM   #118
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I like this system of scanning for music you already have ripped. I have a huge collection of music (legit) and wouldn't want to upload it to something like amazon. Also saves me a couple TBs on my home server so I'd be VERY happy to see it show up in Canada.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:21 PM   #119
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Still jailbreaking. Hopefully jailbreaking is available as soon as the next day when this iteration of iOS goes live.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:22 PM   #120
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I really want to know what the cap is. Somehow I don't see Apple offering unlimited cloud storage for $25/yr.
That's what the Apple tax lets them do. You don't pay 300 dollars extra for a laptop for nothing. It's great marketing.