Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Who is buying an iPad2 to make poorer appletards jelly?
This guy! 3 10.00%
That guy! 12 40.00%
I'm actually an appletard and I take offense but cannot resist the urge to vote. 1 3.33%
I can't. But make those appletards weep their bitter tears for those of us who can't. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:47 AM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Maybe on an iPad, sure, but on a Xoom I'd easily rather have full 720p since the screen can output it and the aspect ratio is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Title
Who is buying the new iPad2 to make iPad1 owners jelly
_TiTaNiuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:16 AM   #152
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TiTaNiuM View Post
He's not only discussing the iPad though, hence.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 05:15 PM   #153
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
Unlike HDMI out which is standard on the Xoom and, I wager, will be pretty standard on all Android tablets. $40 proprietary cable because they couldn't put a standard HDMI port on the device, which takes the iPad 2 even closer to the Xoom - plus I've seen a report (unconfirmed) that Sams' Club is carrying Xoom wi-fi for $539 which seems like a good price for it to me (assuming the apps come, else forget about it).

I love how supposedly serious, knowledgeable companies are still saying that the Xoom costs more than a comparably spec'd iPad.... when there is no comparably spec'd iPad (yet). I understand simplifying for a general audience, but being outright misleading is just free advertising for Apple.
He never said anything about video out, just connectivity to his PC to transfer ripped files... which I was replying to.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:24 PM   #154
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
He never said anything about video out, just connectivity to his PC to transfer ripped files... which I was replying to.
I should've made it less a reply and more a statement to not confuse things. What I posted was related, but not directly. It also still stands as valid, but, you're right, it wasn't directly related to the USB-related posts.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:34 PM   #155
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
If the screen is only 1024x768 why would you waste all that bandwidth?
My current Viewsonic VPD400 does 720p. Whatever I replace it with, will at least do that (which apparently isn't going to be an iPad ).

As for the original discussion around USB, I think there is a misunderstanding from us non-Apple users. Myself, I think of USB just as an interface, not specifically a port type. When someone says "no USB", to me that means I cannot connect the device to my PC via USB port. If there is a converter to connect to a PC's USB port, then IMO the device "has USB" even if the device itself doesn't have a standard USB port. I would prefer a standard USB port as I have USB cables laying everywhere, rather that looking around for that "one special cable".

For myself, I just need some way of moving media between the tablet and a PC other than WiFi. Whether that is through a USB 'interface' or a memory card, either one would work for my use.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:16 PM   #156
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Questions: your viewsonic player is 8GB and 4ish"? Why the need for 720P then?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:25 PM   #157
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Questions: your viewsonic player is 8GB and 4ish"? Why the need for 720P then?
I also have a 16gb Micro SD card in addition to the internal 8gb. Last trip I had 7 movies and plenty of music (not sure how many MP3's). More than enough for a trip.

As for the 720p, it makes a difference to me when viewing. Just like some people can't stand joint stereo ripped music as opposed to stereo... Other can't tell a difference. It's a preference and there is a quality difference (audio and video) when using the other codecs which rip smaller.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 11:16 PM   #158
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Ah what the hell, the appletard option was looking lonely
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:39 PM   #159
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Funny story today with my friend who works at an Apple store.

I asked about the new iPads, how they are going to sell like hot cakes. He says he doesn't think so. Everyone who wanted one got one.

One thing he did tell me was funny though. Actually quite funny. He says people come in asking him to sell it to them. So, naturally he's like 'ok let's go check out'. He said they want him to sell it to them. I look at him and say 'you mean they actually want you to give them a reason to buy it?' He's like 'yup'.

I laughed. I can't imagine how many people walk through the door not knowing what they can use it for and just buy it. I thought it was funny. Dunno if people just think Apple makes stuff that is so good you just have to have it regardless of what it is, or that people really do get suckered into their commercials, or that people actually need this device.

Not sure if tablets are socially acceptable still either. Saw a guy use one while he was at lunch on a Sunday with his wife at Panera. His wife was glued to her iPhone while he was doing god knows what on that thing.

I have a 7" Tab and I use it a lot at home, but I'd never be caught dead with it in public. I love gadgets and stuff, but if I think it's awkward to use it out in public, I can only imagine what others think.

I think the tablet market is still very young, and the best has yet to come despite the fact that Apple has the market right now. Look at the latest smartphone subscribers list. I'd like to include others in this, but Android devices, despite the 'fragmentation' everyone likes to bitch about, has surpassed iOS. Blame buy one get one, blame OEM's for putting out many devices. Fact of the matter, OEM's were here prior to iPhone's and they put out just as many devices before as they do now. People seem to be just using that like a scapegoat.

Last edited by shoman24v : Mar 7, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:42 PM   #160
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Plenty of peeps use it here as e-readers, browsers, etc. I've used my tablet at a Starbucks, even got compliments on it. Not sure why it's socially unacceptable.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:52 PM   #161
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

I didn't say they were unacceptable. I can understand if you go out alone to starbucks and want to chill with a drink and surf the net. But to be out to lunch with your SO just didn't look right.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 11:57 PM   #162
Zero
Sass hole

Occasionally me and the SO will go out to eat and both pull out our phones to check email/texts or something on wikipedia. I've surfed rage when she was talking and I was bored as well. Who cares?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:31 AM   #163
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post

Occasionally me and the SO will go out to eat and both pull out our phones to check email/texts or something on wikipedia. I've surfed rage when she was talking and I was bored as well. Who cares?
I'm not talking about phones?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:06 AM   #164
Zero
Sass hole

Enh 7" tab isn't that much bigger than a phone, it's the same to me. I've used her iPad in public a few times too.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 8, 2011, 06:49 AM   #165
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
I have a 7" Tab and I use it a lot at home, but I'd never be caught dead with it in public. I love gadgets and stuff, but if I think it's awkward to use it out in public, I can only imagine what others think.
People don't care at all, it's in your head. I've traveled a lot and I've seen the devices everywhere. Especially in places where people have to wait for anything. Dentist and doctors office are a given, I see iPads every single time I go there. Always a couple people reading books on them and at least one person surfing the net. Airports...good god, it's the main form of entertainment. I don't go to parks and things like that, but I imagine there are folks doing that too.

I'm not sure why anyone would be worried about social acceptance. Most adults don't give a **** what you're doing. Sounds like a high school sort of mentality to me. They are perfectly acceptable anywhere that isn't actually rude to use them, which comes down to common sense.

**To save myself from the inevitable iPad comments...I said I saw iPads because that's what there mostly was the last year. It goes for ALL tablets.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:50 AM   #166
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh_TiTaNiuM kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
My current Viewsonic VPD400 does 720p. Whatever I replace it with, will at least do that (which apparently isn't going to be an iPad ).

As for the original discussion around USB, I think there is a misunderstanding from us non-Apple users. Myself, I think of USB just as an interface, not specifically a port type. When someone says "no USB", to me that means I cannot connect the device to my PC via USB port. If there is a converter to connect to a PC's USB port, then IMO the device "has USB" even if the device itself doesn't have a standard USB port. I would prefer a standard USB port as I have USB cables laying everywhere, rather that looking around for that "one special cable".

For myself, I just need some way of moving media between the tablet and a PC other than WiFi. Whether that is through a USB 'interface' or a memory card, either one would work for my use.
Then the iPad has USB. If you're jailbroken you can SSH the files wherever you want on the device.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:30 PM   #167
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

HAL10000 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Notifications not of the push sort. Proper, actual multitasking. Oh yeah, Flash.
Um, multitasking has been around since iOS 4.0 came out last year. On a device that doesn't do windowing, that nearly eliminates the need for "multitasking". As for backgrounding, there really isn't a big push for it from actual users. Few apps actually need it and those that do already have it.

Multitasking complaints are nearly entirely from people who don't have the machine and are obsessed with a list of tech specs. If these people knew what they were talking about, instead of spouting tech fanboism, they could legitimately complain about notification modals in iOS 4.0, but as I previously mentioned, that would require them actually knowing anything. This is why they stopped harping about the lack of Flash because their tablets are still waiting for Adobe to deploy a proper version there instead od the old holdever second-gen engine from the Macromedia buyout days.

The market can stay irrational longer than you can remain solvent.
HAL10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:41 PM   #168
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL10000 View Post
Um, multitasking has been around since iOS 4.0 came out last year. On a device that doesn't do windowing, that nearly eliminates the need for "multitasking". As for backgrounding, there really isn't a big push for it from actual users. Few apps actually need it and those that do already have it.

Multitasking complaints are nearly entirely from people who don't have the machine and are obsessed with a list of tech specs. If these people knew what they were talking about, instead of spouting tech fanboism, they could legitimately complain about notification modals in iOS 4.0, but as I previously mentioned, that would require them actually knowing anything. This is why they stopped harping about the lack of Flash because their tablets are still waiting for Adobe to deploy a proper version there instead od the old holdever second-gen engine from the Macromedia buyout days.
Anyone with a pair of eyes and any notion of what good notifications should be can legitimately complain about the notifications in iOS.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:35 PM   #169
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Anyone with a pair of eyes and any notion of what good notifications should be can legitimately complain about the notifications in iOS.
So why do people make big deals out of the things like multitasking? All they do is appear as fools/fanbois.

And what is the problem with the notifications on the iPad? Without Googling, do you even *know* the issue? What is the minor, easily correctible flaw? It's a problem I've encountered once or twice in a year and I own one.

Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:47 PM   #170
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

He iOS notifications are ****ing annoying as hell. I hate it. It doesn't just pop up and give you a message and go away. It stays right smack in the middle of the screen and stays there until you close or go to the application, and it pauses movies and games.

What it should do, like any proper notification system, is show up briefly in the bottom right corner and then disappear from view. All this happening without interrupting your current task. If you choose to acknowledge that message and respond to it, you should be able to tap on it when displayed and be carried over.

The iOS system is obtrusive and irritating.

Don't even get me started on the multitasking. It's there, but a lot of the applications aren't true multitasking.

Last edited by OverclockN' : Mar 8, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:48 PM   #171
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

Quote:
So why do people make big deals out of the things like multitasking? All they do is appear as fools/fanbois.

And what is the problem with the notifications on the iPad? Without Googling, do you even *know* the issue? What is the minor, easily correctible flaw? It's a problem I've encountered once or twice in a year and I own one.
The notifications kinda just blow up in your face and you're unable to dismiss them without quitting.

It's not so bad now that the device has multitasking but there should be a less obtrusive notification system. I don't mind it that much since I don't have many things blowing up in my face.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 02:10 PM   #172
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
He iOS notifications are ****ing annoying as hell.
What you are describing is personal preference. Myself, I like that things are paused when a notification comes up.

There is an even more annoying flaw to the notification system.

Old Mar 8, 2011, 02:16 PM   #173
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
What you are describing is personal preference. Myself, I like that things are paused when a notification comes up.

There is an even more annoying flaw to the notification system.
I guess. No other notification system HALTS productivity. Its stupid. If you have an IM app running in the background, you get stopped every ****ing 3sec when they say something. It should be an option then, pause the system or a brief notification. It's as stupid is the side switch they changed to a mute button. Only people bitched enough that they made an option for mute/orientation in upcoming software.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 02:21 PM   #174
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I guess. No other notification system HALTS productivity. Its stupid. If you have an IM app running in the background, you get stopped every ****ing 3sec when they say something. It should be an option then, pause the system or a brief notification. It's as stupid is the side switch they changed to a mute button. Only people bitched enough that they made an option for mute/orientation in upcoming software.
People like me bitched before 4.2 was released; the Apple Developer forum had a thread and few (if any) applauded the move to bring "consistency" to the iPhone4.

Modals do not halt the system, btw. It does play with the key window aspect, like other windowing operating systems do (i.e., when you try to click outside of a popup in Windows to the host application and you get the beep).

The major problem, and it's a biggie, is when multiple notifications comes in. The next in the queue overlays to the top making it impossible to roll back to the previous notification(s).

Old Mar 8, 2011, 02:58 PM   #175
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
If you're jailbroken you can SSH the files wherever you want on the device.
Yes, mentioned that a while back in a different thread:

http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showpost...4&postcount=30
Old Mar 8, 2011, 03:27 PM   #176
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I think the notification system will be addressed in iOS 5. It should be revealed next month (hopefully). I admit it's a bit annoying to be in the middle of a game or text or web surfing and that thing pops up. It should be in the background and the badge number should be updated with how many text, emails, facebooks, etc you have waiting to be attended to. Maybe the device vibrates as well. I'm sure if was a really important message you were waiting on (I'm willing to be that 99% it's not), you would just check the source anyway.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 04:44 PM   #177
HAL10000
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I think the notification system will be addressed in iOS 5. It should be revealed next month (hopefully). I admit it's a bit annoying to be in the middle of a game or text or web surfing and that thing pops up. It should be in the background and the badge number should be updated with how many text, emails, facebooks, etc you have waiting to be attended to. Maybe the device vibrates as well. I'm sure if was a really important message you were waiting on (I'm willing to be that 99% it's not), you would just check the source anyway.
What people have been also doing is confusing poor use of modals with the notification system. Some developers use/used the pop up modal because it's very easy to do (literally two or three lines of code plus whatever payload for each option). Using modals that way is poor design. Instead of the developer creating a new sheet, view and target actions they just use the modal. You don't see that as much now because Apple may have cracked down.

I used key window in previous post. Should be First Responder. Um, key window only works when an app has multiple windows. Oops.

I'm going out on a limb but thinking there won't be in iOS 5 this summer. What can you really add in? My guess is that there may not even be an iPhone5 but something like an LTE iPhone4 and they'll call it something like iPhone4G.

Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:36 PM   #178
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

iPad 2 didn't announce anything ground breaking with the OS, I really doubt they are saving the amazing notification system for the iPhone's OS in the next few months.

Last edited by shoman24v : Mar 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:26 AM   #179
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

So what the dealio mang? Best Buy says they won't sell them till 5PM, and Wal Mart won't have any for the foreseeable future. I wonder if I should go to Best Buy really early, like, now, to make sure I get one... Surely they'd have a ton of them to sell to pump up their release day numbers.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this . I hate ordering gadgets online, I need instant gratification and the ability to return to the store for a refund if I want to.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:34 AM   #180
_TiTaNiuM
"The Talent"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
So what the dealio mang? Best Buy says they won't sell them till 5PM, and Wal Mart won't have any for the foreseeable future. I wonder if I should go to Best Buy really early, like, now, to make sure I get one... Surely they'd have a ton of them to sell to pump up their release day numbers.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this . I hate ordering gadgets online, I need instant gratification and the ability to return to the store for a refund if I want to.
I walked into best buy on day one for the first iPad at 10am and there were plenty to be had.