Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Who is buying an iPad2 to make poorer appletards jelly?
This guy! 3 10.00%
That guy! 12 40.00%
I'm actually an appletard and I take offense but cannot resist the urge to vote. 1 3.33%
I can't. But make those appletards weep their bitter tears for those of us who can't. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 3, 2011, 07:23 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Begone foul thread!
kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 07:26 AM   #92
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I seek to cure ignorance.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:50 AM   #93
xNaquada
/u/xnaquada

xNaquada is still being judged by the masses

Who are these people that argue that NO USB (the ****ing defacto standard for over a decade!) or SD slots=improved functionality and ease of use? The same people that use the word jelly.
itards

Enjoy the shiny plastic, just dont try and flaunt it, because its an overpriced piece of complete junk lmao.

Im sure if apple made a new macbook that was missing the shift keys, people would say its the greatest thing ever and never needed it.
Hey it happened with no USB ports on the ****ing ipad, this is along the same level of stupidity.
Seems everytime Apple dumbs something down....sorry.... "innovates" for the masses its just a statistical test of how stupid the general population is. (Another example, Macbook air with no optical drive lmao)

truth hurts. gg
/thread

Last edited by xNaquada : Mar 3, 2011 at 09:00 AM.
xNaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:12 AM   #94
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

This is great timing for me, my wife's been bugging me for an ipad ever since I got mine last year. Now I can give her this one, buy an ipad 2 for myself with my income tax return I'm getting next week. Then I can make my wife jealous with my sweet cameraz .
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:42 AM   #95
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNaquada View Post
Who are these people that argue that NO USB (the ****ing defacto standard for over a decade!) or SD slots=improved functionality and ease of use? The same people that use the word jelly.
itards

Enjoy the shiny plastic, just dont try and flaunt it, because its an overpriced piece of complete junk lmao.

Im sure if apple made a new macbook that was missing the shift keys, people would say its the greatest thing ever and never needed it.
Hey it happened with no USB ports on the ****ing ipad, this is along the same level of stupidity.
Seems everytime Apple dumbs something down....sorry.... "innovates" for the masses its just a statistical test of how stupid the general population is. (Another example, Macbook air with no optical drive lmao)

truth hurts. gg
/thread
What are USB ports used for on tabs that do have them?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:33 AM   #96
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
What are USB ports used for on tabs that do have them?
Tethering.

xNaquada made me cry for making fun of me so directly. I want this thread deleted now.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:54 AM   #97
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

I'm looking at a Xoom and an iPad 1 on the desk in front of me. I don't own either, and I use both.

The biggest - and I mean this is really big and bad - problem with Android 3.0 is the sheer lack of apps made for it. This is Google's fault. Released the emulator late and it runs like arse. The lack of tablet apps alone would keep me as a potential buyer away from the Xoom for quite some time.

The iPad 1 is too heavy IMHO. The Xoom is even heavier. This is why I am not buying either of them (even if there were more apps for Android 3.0). The iPad 2 might do it for me as being close enough. I'm also planning on buying the Kindle 4 or whatever it's called whenever it comes out (no idea when).

The overall hardware design - I prefer the Xoom to the iPad 1. I suspect I'll much prefer the iPad 2 to the Xoom.

Screen - have to give the nod to the Xoom here. Apple's stringent adherence to avoiding "fragmentation" is really biting it in the arse here, I think. To stay competitive, they really need to suck it up and "fragment" to have a widescreen. This is more important than stupid marketing tricks... er... "retina display". I don't find any viewing angle problems with the Xoom. One thing I haven't tested is using both outside in different conditions.

Overall user experience - this is a tough one. iOS4 provides a seriously-dated, designed-for-small-screens-yet-still-impressive-enough-on-large, experience. Android 3.0 really is better in a lot of ways as I think it's much more of a redesigned experience for tablets - you really have to try it to understand. Yet, the iOS overall experience hangs together better in a more consistent, pleasing, subtle way. Strident Apple fans really need to take the blinders off and see that the competition is not only closing in on Apple, but beating it in some ways, despite the "magic". So, for me, iOS edges out Android 3.0 in this regard. iOS5 better be more for tablets, and Android 3.x better go even further to making it a more coherent experience.

RTM (release to market) - Google sucks a this, because their vendors suck at this. Google+mobile = new to consumers. Apple is king at marketing consumer electronics. Apple+mobile = "normal" to consumers. This is really the biggest challenge ahead for Google - mind share, not just market share; Apple has the crown in this regard and many people settle for Android because it's cheaper. If Apple comes out with a rumored less-expensive phone, it really could put the hurt on the rest of the market and slow or stop the shift in market share.

All this is my personal opinion, of course.

EDIT: One other thing that Android 3.x destroys the iPad1 (and 2, for now) on - being more of a "post pc"... iOS is ridiculously tethered to iTunes... I watched someone I know log into the Xoom as they set it up and it automatically installed all of their Android apps (from their Android phone) from the cloud - no cables required. This is a much more usable, much more mobile, much more "post pc" experience than Apple currently provides. Again, Apple talks big here, but in reality has fallen behind the competition. For now.

Last edited by vitocorleone : Mar 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
vitocorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:58 AM   #98
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I don't mind the 11" model missing an optical drive, and I don't think the 13" model missing a drive is retarded. It's a compromise for their intended hardware design. Same can be said for netbooks.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:00 PM   #99
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
itards

truth hurts. gg
/thread
I find it far more amusing that you're so offended by it. Why do you care so much what other people like?

You think I'm an idiot because I'm ok with the ipad not having USB? I've had the ipad for over 6 months, I've never needed one. If Ive never needed one, and probably won't for as long as I own it, why should I care that's it's not there? People are ok with it because it's not a dire necessity for "the masses". It's not "dumbing it down", it's omitting something that, apparently, not many people give a **** about in the first place.

All people like you have to do is simply buy something else, I'll never understand why folks go on some aimless rampage against a product or the group of people who purchase that product. What a silly waste of time.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:02 PM   #100
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I'll probably end up getting a iPad 2. All I ever do is game and surf the web and watch movies on the iPad.

Android tablets just don't offer much when it comes to a gaming selection at all. Maybe that will change, but right now iOS is simply the best handheld gaming experience currently available.
t0adp1p3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:05 PM   #101
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
The iPad 1 is too heavy IMHO. The Xoom is even heavier
You keep saying this. The ipad is NOT heavy. Good god man, your average hardcover book weighs more than that thing. If you have trouble lifting/using an ipad, you really ought to consider a bit of weight training. Christ, my 10yr old nephew held it for hours and his complaint was the battery going dead.

The new iPad is 1.3lbs, is that light for you? How light are these 11" or whatever sized tablets need to be? Man up dude, FFS.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:09 PM   #102
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
Tethering.

xNaquada made me cry for making fun of me so directly. I want this thread deleted now.
Like phone tethering? Why not use wireless tether?

Really, the only use USB has on a tablet imo is for mass storage connection or for plugging in USB keys. Since the experience is designed to be wireless (hell the whole tech industry is going that way in the long run), I don't see what the big deal is.

SD slot I can agree with, always nice to be able to add your own expansion. but USB, I just don't get why it's such a big deal that always comes up in anti-iDevice arguments.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:09 PM   #103
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone View Post
I'm looking at a Xoom and an iPad 1 on the desk in front of me. I don't own either, and I use both.

The biggest - and I mean this is really big and bad - problem with Android 3.0 is the sheer lack of apps made for it. This is Google's fault. Released the emulator late and it runs like arse. The lack of tablet apps alone would keep me as a potential buyer away from the Xoom for quite some time.

The iPad 1 is too heavy IMHO. The Xoom is even heavier. This is why I am not buying either of them (even if there were more apps for Android 3.0). The iPad 2 might do it for me as being close enough. I'm also planning on buying the Kindle 4 or whatever it's called whenever it comes out (no idea when).

The overall hardware design - I prefer the Xoom to the iPad 1. I suspect I'll much prefer the iPad 2 to the Xoom.

Screen - have to give the nod to the Xoom here. Apple's stringent adherence to avoiding "fragmentation" is really biting it in the arse here, I think. To stay competitive, they really need to suck it up and "fragment" to have a widescreen. This is more important than stupid marketing tricks... er... "retina display". I don't find any viewing angle problems with the Xoom. One thing I haven't tested is using both outside in different conditions.

Overall user experience - this is a tough one. iOS4 provides a seriously-dated, designed-for-small-screens-yet-still-impressive-enough-on-large, experience. Android 3.0 really is better in a lot of ways as I think it's much more of a redesigned experience for tablets - you really have to try it to understand. Yet, the iOS overall experience hangs together better in a more consistent, pleasing, subtle way. Strident Apple fans really need to take the blinders off and see that the competition is not only closing in on Apple, but beating it in some ways, despite the "magic". So, for me, iOS edges out Android 3.0 in this regard. iOS5 better be more for tablets, and Android 3.x better go even further to making it a more coherent experience.

RTM (release to market) - Google sucks a this, because their vendors suck at this. Google+mobile = new to consumers. Apple is king at marketing consumer electronics. Apple+mobile = "normal" to consumers. This is really the biggest challenge ahead for Google - mind share, not just market share; Apple has the crown in this regard and many people settle for Android because it's cheaper. If Apple comes out with a rumored less-expensive phone, it really could put the hurt on the rest of the market and slow or stop the shift in market share.

All this is my personal opinion, of course.

EDIT: One other thing that Android 3.x destroys the iPad1 (and 2, for now) on - being more of a "post pc"... iOS is ridiculously tethered to iTunes... I watched someone I know log into the Xoom as they set it up and it automatically installed all of their Android apps (from their Android phone) from the cloud - no cables required. This is a much more usable, much more mobile, much more "post pc" experience than Apple currently provides. Again, Apple talks big here, but in reality has fallen behind the competition. For now.
I was talking with _tit about this subject, I think the reason I prefer the Xoom is familiarity, and not the obvious that im an Android user... Honeycomb actually feels more like Windows to me, the bar at the bottom, where notifications appear(same place I have them appear on Windows), multitasking preview, notification icons, I feel like they've actually sort of worked to bridge the user experience gap between pc and mobile with Honeycomb. Could it be better? Of course, its not without its flaws, but overall I am very happy with my purchase. Also, 1.5 or whatever pounds of tablet don't bother me
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:10 PM   #104
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0adp1p3 View Post
I'll probably end up getting a iPad 2. All I ever do is game and surf the web and watch movies on the iPad.

Android tablets just don't offer much when it comes to a gaming selection at all. Maybe that will change, but right now iOS is simply the best handheld gaming experience currently available.
Its already changing with Tegra HD google it, the gaming selection is getting much better. Love all the Tegra HD games I bought.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:11 PM   #105
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Like phone tethering? Why not use wireless tether?

Really, the only use USB has on a tablet imo is for mass storage connection or for plugging in USB keys. Since the experience is designed to be wireless (hell the whole tech industry is going that way in the long run), I don't see what the big deal is.

SD slot I can agree with, always nice to be able to add your own expansion. but USB, I just don't get why it's such a big deal that always comes up in anti-iDevice arguments.
I dont get it either, I've never once wanted a usb port on my phone or tablet...
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:13 PM   #106
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

t0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresht0adp1p3 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Did it change since last week, because the selection was awful last week.oh well I,ll check right before I go to make my purchase if it looks as awesome as the iPad selection I might change my mind.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:14 PM   #107
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
You keep saying this. The ipad is NOT heavy. Good god man, your average hardcover book weighs more than that thing. If you have trouble lifting/using an ipad, you really ought to consider a bit of weight training. Christ, my 10yr old nephew held it for hours and his complaint was the battery going dead.

The new iPad is 1.3lbs, is that light for you? How light are these 11" or whatever sized tablets need to be? Man up dude, FFS.
Har har har.

It's too heavy. A truly usable tablet will be a ~10" wide screen and < 1lb. Until then these are definitely early-adopter devices. I'm not the only one that believes the current tablets are "too heavy".

Just because you (and your nephew) can make due with the current hardware doesn't mean that it's the best design. I mean, I know you love holding awkward things in your hands, but that doesn't make it right And, yes, I understand the current limitations due primarily to the lack of innovation in batteries. I think Apple should invest in this area.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:16 PM   #108
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Did it change since last week, because the selection was awful last week.oh well I,ll check right before I go to make my purchase if it looks as awesome as the iPad selection I might change my mind.
There are already a lot of games in the Tegra HD pipeline, where did you look last week? Tegra hd just launched the other day, they're all high quality games, those are the ones that matter, IMO. I've got more games on this than I even have time to play now.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:22 PM   #109
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Har har har.

It's too heavy. A truly usable tablet will be a ~10" wide screen and < 1lb. Until then these are definitely early-adopter devices. I'm not the only one that believes the current tablets are "too heavy".
IMO it's not the weight, it's the density. A lb is nothing if you think about, it's about the weight of a football, which I bet you could hold all day long. It's the fact that the device's form factor makes you think it should be lighter and the actual weight just feels off and/or is unwieldy due to the slim profile.

My iPhone is kinda like that. It's pretty small but it feels really dense (shut up haters). Didn't take too long to get used to it though.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:30 PM   #110
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Har har har.

Just because you (and your nephew) can make due with the current hardware doesn't mean that it's the best design. I mean, I know you love holding awkward things in your hands, but that doesn't make it right And, yes, I understand the current limitations due primarily to the lack of innovation in batteries. I think Apple should invest in this area.
We both know how many of these things have been sold. That in mind, saying the amount of people comfortable with the weight obviously goes beyond my nephew and I. To be clear, I'm not speaking just about the ipad. The Xoom and whatever other tablets are included with this too.

Sure, being even lighter would be great and everyone would like that. But to say the current tablets are too heavy to use is a gross exagguration.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:32 PM   #111
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Just checked it out, looks like it offers a handful of games that have been on iOS for awhile. Still a very limited selection, I game a lot on the iPad, so unless that gets a lot bigger i' ll stick with the ipad2for now, and hopefully that gains some momentum, cuz I would like t o have an alternative.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:37 PM   #112
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
We both know how many of these things have been sold. That in mind, saying the amount of people comfortable with the weight obviously goes beyond my nephew and I. To be clear, I'm not speaking just about the ipad. The Xoom and whatever other tablets are included with this too.

Sure, being even lighter would be great and everyone would like that. But to say the current tablets are too heavy to use is a gross exagguration.
It's not an exaggeration if it's true. To each their own. I want my mobile devices to be truly "mobile".

I have high standards. I am not "everyone" (though I'd wager I've read many an article also stating the tablets are too heavy). I know "mobile" devices - it's my career. As part of my profession and experience I see flaws where others see none (at least not at first), and I have a good idea of what makes a mobile product "usable" as well as "mobile". Me saying something is too heavy does not mean it can't be successful, just that it will not be as successful as it could be if it were the weight it ought to be. Maybe I'm just failing at explaining. I should probably be getting back to work!

Again, I'll likely be buying an iPad2 (for the wife). And I wager I'll still find it too heavy. And no, I'm not some scrawny dude, either
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:37 PM   #113
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Just checked it out, looks like it offers a handful of games that have been on iOS for awhile. Still a very limited selection, I game a lot on the iPad, so unless that gets a lot bigger i' ll stick with the ipad2for now, and hopefully that gains some momentum, cuz I would like t o have an alternative.
It'll expand but like any basically 1.0 device its going to take time. I bet this time next year you won't know which ine to choose I chose Xoom because I don't like iOS, it doesnt do it for me. Also, those titles are optimized the Tegra 2, I wouldnt doubt they look and perform better though I've not sen them myself on iOS, just know that I love how they look and run
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:45 PM   #114
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Yeah no kidding elysian, heres hopin to next year having a plethora of choices. I'd love to have a android device with a huge selection of games and awesome screen.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 02:15 PM   #115
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
It's not an exaggeration if it's true. To each their own. I want my mobile devices to be truly "mobile".

I have high standards. I am not "everyone" (though I'd wager I've read many an article also stating the tablets are too heavy). I know "mobile" devices - it's my career. As part of my profession and experience I see flaws where others see none (at least not at first), and I have a good idea of what makes a mobile product "usable" as well as "mobile". Me saying something is too heavy does not mean it can't be successful, just that it will not be as successful as it could be if it were the weight it ought to be. Maybe I'm just failing at explaining. I should probably be getting back to work!

Again, I'll likely be buying an iPad2 (for the wife). And I wager I'll still find it too heavy. And no, I'm not some scrawny dude, either
Yeah, but it's not like they made it heavy on purpose; not just the Ipad, but the Xoom too.
There's a compromise somewhere; maybe 100 grams less heavy would have meant 3 hours less battery, or some module not fitting in, etc.
Myself, after playing with an Ipad, I don't find it heavy at all, but then again I do understand that it's not what it looks like; when you look at it standing on a table, see the thinness and you pick it up for the first you expect it to be light as a feather, because visually that's the impression you're getting, and instead it's not.
Maybe that's the reason some people are commenting on it being too heavy.

The Xoom on the other hand looks like a more "serious", bulkier and weightier device, although it's not the case.

I'd also like to make an Apple Hater comment, and point out that it could have weighed 25 kilograms and it still would have sold like hotcakes, because it's magical and revolutionary
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 02:57 PM   #116
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
No confirmation on ram yet. But you're right about the multitasking, iOS's half-assed backgrounding doesn't even come close to the full multitasking on the Xoom.
Like anyone really cares about that? Mr Jobs said it the best. These are post PC products. People who I know use them are the liberal arts people, not the techies. They couldn't care less about ram / processing power, only to know that they are faster. They care more about form factor (it's now thinner than an iphone 4, that's pretty much makes it paper like) and ease of use to these people. Android doesn't have that still, and it does lag, I don't care what people say, I've used an android tablet vs a iPad, the android tablet doesn't have the same snappiness of the iPad and has some animation quirks that kill the experience.

It's ironic that some of you even have these devices, I can't fathom any use of spending 499 on a device that I'll probably use just to surf internet or play some games before going to sleep.

I'd get this for my mom or something.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 03:51 PM   #117
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Like anyone really cares about that? Mr Jobs said it the best. These are post PC products. People who I know use them are the liberal arts people, not the techies. They couldn't care less about ram / processing power, only to know that they are faster. They care more about form factor (it's now thinner than an iphone 4, that's pretty much makes it paper like) and ease of use to these people. Android doesn't have that still, and it does lag, I don't care what people say, I've used an android tablet vs a iPad, the android tablet doesn't have the same snappiness of the iPad and has some animation quirks that kill the experience.

It's ironic that some of you even have these devices, I can't fathom any use of spending 499 on a device that I'll probably use just to surf internet or play some games before going to sleep.

My Xoom handily replaced my laptop. The only thing I don't use it for now is my Java homework, which I do on my desktop. Post-PC needs to still have some of the familiarity of the PC, otherwise it's never going to take off, hence why I like my Xoom, which I already explained earlier in this thread. iOS is still very much a mobile phone feeling OS, it's not going to last long, 'post-PC' unless it adapts to do more and do it better. Maybe you don't see the purpose of such devices but I barely put my Xoom down, I very much appreciate it and the $500 I spent on it was WELL worth it. Also, using 'post-PC' is a bit premature considering the PC market share is NOT dwindling, it's only growing all the time. Glad you picked up on the Apple marketing term again, hook, line and sinker though.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 04:17 PM   #118
t0adp1p3
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post

Well a handheld like a psp or ds is $200 and games are $30 to $50. the newer versions are even more.

Games on the ipad are 99 cents to 10 dollars, plus you can watch movies surf the net etc.. plus I actually enjoy the touch gaming.

So i guess, that seems like value to me, can totally see why it's of no use to alot of people though.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 04:17 PM   #119
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Well a handheld like a psp or ds is $200 and games are $30 to $50. the newer versions are even more.

Games on the ipad are 99 cents to 10 dollars, plus you can watch movies surf the net etc.. plus I actually enjoy the touch gaming.

So i guess, that seems like value to me, can totally see why it's of no use to alot of people though.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 05:02 PM   #120
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
My Xoom handily replaced my laptop. The only thing I don't use it for now is my Java homework, which I do on my desktop. Post-PC needs to still have some of the familiarity of the PC, otherwise it's never going to take off, hence why I like my Xoom, which I already explained earlier in this thread. iOS is still very much a mobile phone feeling OS, it's not going to last long, 'post-PC' unless it adapts to do more and do it better. Maybe you don't see the purpose of such devices but I barely put my Xoom down, I very much appreciate it and the $500 I spent on it was WELL worth it. Also, using 'post-PC' is a bit premature considering the PC market share is NOT dwindling, it's only growing all the time. Glad you picked up on the Apple marketing term again, hook, line and sinker though.
I don't think anyone really knows exactly what Jobs meant by post-pc, even when he used it originally last year. It implies a certain direction in computing which I read as more mobile and streamlined, and as someone who just said they replaced their laptop with their xoom, you might agree with. Jobs also stated that the PC wasn't going anywhere but that its role as the primary computing platform would diminish.

I also recall reading somewhere that laptop ownership is eclipsing desktop ownership, especially in the 18-34 demographic. Many analysts see this as a growing trend in mobilization of social technology. And as tabs are a natural evolution of the laptop, as many of us are experiencing now, the way they will evolve will likely become a cornerstone of future IT reality. So yeah, in that sense, we're entering the post-pc era.

I can see this pretty clearly in my own usage, going from all computing done on desktops until I bought a laptop, transitioning from laptop to smartphone a few years back, and now to tablet.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"