Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Who is buying an iPad2 to make poorer appletards jelly?
This guy! 3 10.00%
That guy! 12 40.00%
I'm actually an appletard and I take offense but cannot resist the urge to vote. 1 3.33%
I can't. But make those appletards weep their bitter tears for those of us who can't. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:39 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
So the top paid apps are not the best apps, the best apps are the ones nobody buys. In the way of productivity Android offers far less options for document creation, along with Androids nonuniform copy and paste system, along with a gaming sections that really only includes angry birds, reckless racing and six emulators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Non-uniform copy and paste system? What? If you mean across devices, I can't figure out how that would affect the end user, who only has one device. Really, I don't see how it would affect anyone, end user or developer.
yeah, what do you mean by "nonuniform" copy and paste system?

last time i checked it's as simple as Microsoft Windows...

select your stuff... menu-c to copy, and menu-v to paste

or something
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:43 PM   #62
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
yeah, what do you mean by "nonuniform" copy and paste system?

last time i checked it's as simple as Microsoft Windows...

select your stuff... menu-c to copy, and menu-v to paste

or something
It's even easier on Honeycomb, when I copy/paste all I have to do is hold my finger over a word, then I can adjust left and right sliders and a copy/paste/selection menu appears up at the top of the screen, it's very well done. To paste, long press in a text field and 'Paste' appears right above the cursor.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:45 PM   #63
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Non-uniform copy and paste system? What? If you mean across devices, I can't figure out how that would affect the end user, who only has one device. Really, I don't see how it would affect anyone, end user or developer.
Across Android apps the copy paste system is completely different, some you can just hold screen others you have to go in to a selection mode. When bouncing between document creation and the internet it is a hassle not to have a singular system.

But I guess the argument for openness means it ban be quick and easy to use.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:55 PM   #64
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Across Android apps the copy paste system is completely different, some you can just hold screen others you have to go in to a selection mode. When bouncing between document creation and the internet it is a hassle not to have a singular system.

I've not noticed this inconsistency the entire time I've used Android, care to detail it further?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:58 PM   #65
erek
Banned

Quote:

take a look at the Android API for the Clipboard functionality of Android,
http://developer.android.com/referen.../ClipData.html

looks pretty uniform to me..., so what are you referring to?

seems like more of an individual's decision to parse certain content such as HTML...

or are you actually referring to the menu-c, menu-v commands?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:00 PM   #66
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
I've not noticed this inconsistency the entire time I've used Android, care to detail it further?
Between the stock browser and Documents to go, the copy paste system is different and is annoyingly so. The copy paste system in android Documents to Go is horrid on the brink of unusable. I don't care if it is a third party app, it is Androids only real document creation/edit program.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:00 PM   #67
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Between the stock browser and Documents to go, the copy paste system is different and is annoyingly so. The copy paste system in android Documents to Go is horrid on the brink of unusable. I don't care if it is a third party app, it is Androids only real document creation/edit program.
I've never used that, don't want to pay 14.99 to see what you're talking about either
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:04 PM   #68
erek
Banned

Quote:
could be just how they chose to implement copying and pasting
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:13 PM   #69
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
could be just how they chose to implement copying and pasting
Doesn't matter it is just shows where Android is limited compared to the Ipad. Documents to Go is just above barely functional on Android and you can't edit documents in Google Docs only view. So if you buy a Android tablet, you are going to have to buy a netbook to go with it, if you want to do work.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:14 PM   #70
erek
Banned

DocumentsToGo should take advantage of Clipboard Manager in Android: http://developer.android.com/referen...rdManager.html
("Interface to the clipboard service, for placing and retrieving text in the global clipboard.")

iOS uses something called UIPasteboard:

http://developer.apple.com/library/i...Reference.html

("The UIPasteboard class enables an application to share data within the application or with another application using system-wide or application-specific pasteboards.")

...its certainly not a shortcoming of Android because it offers similar functionality to iOS...

Last edited by erek : Mar 2, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:17 PM   #71
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Doesn't matter it is just shows where Android is limited compared to the Ipad. Documents to Go is just above barely functional on Android and you can't edit documents in Google Docs only view. So if you buy a Android tablet, you are going to have to buy a netbook to go with it, if you want to do work.
Why? I can use Google Docs in the browser right now, I just logged in, it's the full desktop version under Dolphin HD.

Another powerful option is OfficeSuite Pro, DocumentsToGo isn't your only choice.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:20 PM   #72
Elysian
SCAATSJW

There's an OfficeSuite Pro trial, so I'm giving it a try.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:25 PM   #73
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Yep, it's copy and paste is pretty much the same process as the rest of Android, long press then set your left and right sliders. It's not the stock Android version of it, but it works exactly the same way. After you've selected, long press and it gives you a ton of options for formatting or copying/cutting/pasting
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:26 PM   #74
erek
Banned

Question

why does everyone try to convince each other why one product is better than another to the point of bitterness?

perhaps we shouldn't knock each other's choices in a manner that gives rise to such debates...

can't we all just be secure in our own decisions without the bickering? i know that some might be wanting vindication, validation, and justification for their purchases amongst peers, but really this all seems a little irrational...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:27 PM   #75
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
why does everyone try to convince each other why one product is better than another to the point of bitterness?

perhaps we shouldn't knock each other's choices in a manner that gives rise to such debates...

can't we all just be secure in our own decisions without the bickering? i know that some might be wanting vindication, validation, and justification for their purchases amongst peers, but really this all seems a little irrational...
I seek to cure ignorance.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:28 PM   #76
erek
Banned

Quote:
Yep, it's copy and paste is pretty much the same process as the rest of Android, long press then set your left and right sliders. It's not the stock Android version of it, but it works exactly the same way. After you've selected, long press and it gives you a ton of options for formatting or copying/cutting/pasting
it makes sense because UIPasteboard and Clipboard Manager are the same general functionality for global copying and pasting, so there is definitely not a lacking in that regard in the Android operating system.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:29 PM   #77
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
It's even easier on Honeycomb, when I copy/paste all I have to do is hold my finger over a word, then I can adjust left and right sliders and a copy/paste/selection menu appears up at the top of the screen, it's very well done. To paste, long press in a text field and 'Paste' appears right above the cursor.

iOS is the same exact thing. I hold down on a word, the sentence is highlighted. Then you just drag the sliders on the right and left to specify what you want to highlight. I've never used Honeycomb, but what you just said is the exact same thing iOS does.

edit: I'm assuming you were referring to iOS. If not, disregard. It's nearly impossible to stay on track with you and everyone else's comparisons and bickering. :P

Last edited by OverclockN' : Mar 2, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:31 PM   #78
erek
Banned

Quote:
well at least it's a learning process toward knowing more even though this situation of arguing is backwards...

it's arguing in reverse before actually knowing... sort of based on the brand...

defending the brand... then doing the research to actually vindicate one's assertions... (sort of flimsy on all sides.. both the iOS users, and the Android users)...

beyond the experiential that is...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:31 PM   #79
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post

iOS is the same exact thing. I hold down on a word, the sentence is highlighted. Then you just drag the sliders on the right and left to specify what you want to highlight. I've never used Honeycomb, but what you just said is the exact same thing iOS does.
iOS every app that supports copy/paste uses the same function as you described, Android on the other had may or may not it is up to the developer. I would prefer systems like that to be uniform.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:32 PM   #80
erek
Banned

Quote:

makes sense since they both implement a global copy and paste system...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:33 PM   #81
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

edit: I'm assuming you were referring to iOS. If not, disregard. It's nearly impossible to stay on track with you and everyone else's comparisons and bickering. :P
No, it's easier than previous versions, I'm aware it kind of copies the iOS copy/paste.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:44 PM   #82
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
No, it's easier than previous versions, I'm aware it kind of copies the iOS copy/paste.
Previous versions of Honeycomb? This why I made my edit, I have no idea what you guys are going on about. You guys are far more hardcore about this stuff than I am.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:46 PM   #83
erek
Banned

heh, this is difficult to figure out (for me at least)

but both UIPasteboard and ClipboardManager seem to be system-wide copy and paste managers...

i am fairly confident in saying that the problems being observed are due to the developers preferences...

it would seem that iOS developers can chose to implement a copy and paste feature just as well as Android developers
Old Mar 2, 2011, 09:54 PM   #84
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Previous versions of Honeycomb? This why I made my edit, I have no idea what you guys are going on about. You guys are far more hardcore about this stuff than I am.
Previous version of Android, Honeycomb is just a code name for the latest version of Android, 3.0
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:00 PM   #85
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Previous version of Android, Honeycomb is just a code name for the latest version of Android, 3.0
I see, that makes more sense.

I just watched a few video reviews of the Xoom to check it out, since I've never seen it in action. Looks like a nice device to me, pretty smooth, nice amount of ports/options, and widescreen is nice.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:00 PM   #86
erek
Banned

here's the best explanation i can find for the so-called problems with copying and pasting

22:57 TEpic I have a feeling you can copy from any SDK default text field
22:57 *** skynets joined #android
22:58 TEpic non-default, unlikely, would probably have to implement clipboardmanager
22:58 erek what about like
22:58 erek DocumentsToGo
22:58 erek apparently they have a different way to copy/paste
22:58 TEpic they probably dont use SDK default controls
22:58 erek ah

,so basically this is as i have said before... a shortcoming of the developer... and not Android by default

Last edited by erek : Mar 2, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:09 PM   #87
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
There's that.

Plus what else would we talk about if we're not arguing to the death over trivialities??

It's what Al Gore invented the internet for!
jimmyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:39 PM   #88
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

****in' jelly...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 06:57 AM   #89
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
****in' jelly...
You know, the only place ive heard that stupid **** is on Rage3D. Ive never heard it in person, tv, pr anywhere else. Only this place with it's goofy ass people.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 07:14 AM   #90
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:

This.

Holy ****, erek posted something I agree with.
The Apocalypse is obviously upon us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote