Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

View Poll Results: Who is buying an iPad2 to make poorer appletards jelly?
This guy! 3 10.00%
That guy! 12 40.00%
I'm actually an appletard and I take offense but cannot resist the urge to vote. 1 3.33%
I can't. But make those appletards weep their bitter tears for those of us who can't. 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:02 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post

If it had a higher rez screen, I'd buy it.
You'd buy it for just a higher rez screen? Seriously??? That's all you want to have? I want to have more than just a higher rez screen.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:04 PM   #32
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
So clueless. Move along, you're out of your league here.
As someone who's about to own an android tab, I'd be interested in knowing what apps on the android side compare to what he mentioned.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:08 PM   #33
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
As someone who's about to own an android tab, I'd be interested in knowing what apps on the android side compare to what he mentioned.
DocumentsToGo
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:09 PM   #34
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
So clueless. Move along, you're out of your league here.
I love when you post comments like this. It just means you can't match it. Period. The software available on iOS is just hands above Android. No question.

You are the one that's out of his league.

Mention some apps that are as robust and functional as the few I mentioned. The iWork suite is just as robust as it is on the desktop. Otherwise, your just a hardware spec whore. When your software catches up to your hardware, we'll talk some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
DocumentsToGo
lol. iOS has that. Care to mention anything that's original that can't be matched on iOS?

Last edited by Razeus : Mar 2, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:10 PM   #35
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
DocumentsToGo
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:11 PM   #36
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I love when you post comments like this. It just means you can't match it. Period. The software available on iOS is just hands above Android. No question.

Mention some apps that are as robust and functional as the few I mentioned. Otherwise, your just a hardware spec whore. When your software catches up to your hardware, we'll talk some more.

lol. iOS has that. Care to mention anything that's original that can't be matched on iOS?
Your whole argument is that the Xoom and Android suck because you think it can't do that when it can. Get over it.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:12 PM   #37
erek
Banned

Quote:

Mention some apps that are as robust and functional as the few I mentioned. The iWork suite is just as robust as it is on the desktop. Otherwise, your just a hardware spec whore. When your software catches up to your hardware, we'll talk some more.

Multi-tasking
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:12 PM   #38
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

Notifications not of the push sort. Proper, actual multitasking. Oh yeah, Flash.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:15 PM   #39
erek
Banned

not to derail the thread, but this should be in the Smart phone section, IMHO
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:16 PM   #40
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
DocumentsToGo
Ipad Documents to go can access documents in your Dropbox and Google docs account. The Android version can only access documents in Google Docs. So on android to open a word document that has been saved in my Dropbox, I have to open the Dropbox app, download it then open it in Documents to Go.

Last edited by Debello : Mar 2, 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Debello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:18 PM   #41
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Your whole argument is that the Xoom and Android suck because you think it can't do that when it can. Get over it.
Slow down cowboy. I never said Xoom sucked nor Android. I said that iPad is the better solution given the user base, availability of apps. Yes, the Xoom CAN do what iPad does...IF it had the quality apps to do so.

I can't honestly recommend a Xoom or Tab (especially for the price) to someone who wants to do writing (Pages), make presentations (KeyNote), create and update spreadsheets (Numbers), note taking (various apps for scribbling ideas, etc), play the most beautiful mobile games (take your pick), general email/web surfing, iPod, photos. All do all this on my iPad daily. It's worth every penny because I use it to death, not tweak it to death.

Show me actual USEABLE apps that allow me be productive on Android and have fun with excellent games.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:20 PM   #42
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Notifications not of the push sort. Proper, actual multitasking. Oh yeah, Flash.
No one in iOS world as a problem multi-tasking. You still haven't mentioned apps. You're talking about specific operating system things that YOU personally don't care for. Lack of Flash is a non-issue. You'd be surprised the amount of website that have fully catered to the iOS environment. In other words, I've got the "full internet". Never had an issue because my iPad doesn't do Flash. Mute point.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:23 PM   #43
erek
Banned

Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:23 PM   #44
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
Slow down cowboy. I never said Xoom sucked nor Android. I said that iPad is the better solution given the user base, availability of apps. Yes, the Xoom CAN do what iPad does...IF it had the quality apps to do so.

I can't honestly recommend a Xoom or Tab (especially for the price) to someone who wants to do writing (Pages), make presentations (KeyNote), create and update spreadsheets (Numbers), note taking (various apps for scribbling ideas, etc), play the most beautiful mobile games (take your pick), general email/web surfing, iPod, photos. All do all this on my iPad daily. It's worth every penny because I use it to death, not tweak it to death.

Show me actual USEABLE apps that allow me be productive on Android and have fun with excellent games.
Android marketplace top lists in both games and applications is pretty pathetic compared to the apps that are available for the Ipad. When most of the top selling applications are launchers, root management and are for over clocking, there is an issue.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:23 PM   #45
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

Games are easy thanks to nVidia's involvement.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-zone.html

With many more than just that on the way. Even Minecraft will be coming to Android very soon(and yes, I'm aware it's also going to iOS). I own all of the Tegra Zone games besides the football one, they're all top notch and great fun. Productivity apps, I couldn't tell you, besides DocumentsToGo, because I don't do much that's considered 'productive' on my Xoom, that's why I have a PC.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:24 PM   #46
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
Android marketplace top lists in both games and applications is pretty pathetic compared to the apps that are available for the Ipad. When most of the top selling applications are launchers, root management and are for over clocking, there is an issue.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:24 PM   #47
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
No one in iOS world as a problem multi-tasking. You still haven't mentioned apps. You're talking about specific operating system things that YOU personally don't care for. Lack of Flash is a non-issue. You'd be surprised the amount of website that have fully catered to the iOS environment. In other words, I've got the "full internet". Never had an issue because my iPad doesn't do Flash. Mute point.
Pretty sure the word you were looking for was moot.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:25 PM   #48
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Damn you iOS auto correct!!!!!!!11
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:25 PM   #49
erek
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

(sorry)
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:25 PM   #50
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Damn you iOS auto correct!!!!!!!11
I'd say Honeycomb's was better... but it's not
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:26 PM   #51
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Is it an issue though? Does that not speak to the openness of modifying Android, the fact that Google even allows those in the Market? Just because they're the 'top' apps doesn't mean they're the best apps, means they're the most sought after.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:27 PM   #52
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
Games are easy thanks to nVidia's involvement.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-zone.html

With many more than just that on the way. Even Minecraft will be coming to Android very soon(and yes, I'm aware it's also going to iOS). I own all of the Tegra Zone games besides the football one, they're all top notch and great fun. Productivity apps, I couldn't tell you, besides DocumentsToGo, because I don't do much that's considered 'productive' on my Xoom, that's why I have a PC.
Most if not all of those apps listed on the front page are already on the Ipad, and you do not need a Tegra 2 chip for Fruit Ninja HD or Backbreaker HD
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:28 PM   #53
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Most if not all of those apps listed on the front page are already on the Ipad, and you do not need a Tegra 2 chip for Fruit Ninja HD or Backbreaker HD
Guarantee you they're prettier on the Xoom than the original iPad That's the point of the Tegra HD program. 1280x800 helps in that regard too.

Also, if Android has the same apps/games, so what? Does that make it inherently negative?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:30 PM   #54
erek
Banned

Quote:
Guarantee you they're prettier on the Xoom than the original iPad That's the point of the Tegra HD program. 1280x800 helps in that regard too.
i'm hearing not-so-great things about Super AMOLED screens... but Super AMOLED Plus seems to be quite better...

what's the actual difference in the screen types between the iPad 2 and the Xoom?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:31 PM   #55
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
i'm hearing not-so-great things about Super AMOLED screens... but Super AMOLED Plus seems to be quite better...

what's the actual difference in the screen types between the iPad 2 and the Xoom?
Xoom is a TFT, I believe it's a TN type panel. iPad is IPS. Dunno technical differences but I can tell you the Xoom is absurdly bright and the viewing angles are almost 180 degrees. I only run my Xoom at around 15% brightness usually.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:33 PM   #56
erek
Banned

Quote:
Xoom is a TFT, I believe it's a TN type panel. iPad is IPS. Dunno technical differences but I can tell you the Xoom is absurdly bright and the viewing angles are almost 180 degrees. I only run my Xoom at around 15% brightness usually.
well the unpleasant reality is that TN is 6-bit dithered to 8-bit... so the IPS has true 8-bit (at least)

TN is much more suited for fast paced gaming...

anyways
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:33 PM   #57
erek
Banned

yO, Razeus,

Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:35 PM   #58
Debello
Not built for speed

Quote:
Is it an issue though? Does that not speak to the openness of modifying Android, the fact that Google even allows those in the Market? Just because they're the 'top' apps doesn't mean they're the best apps, means they're the most sought after.
So the top paid apps are not the best apps, the best apps are the ones nobody buys. In the way of productivity Android offers far less options for document creation, along with Androids nonuniform copy and paste system, along with a gaming sections that really only includes angry birds, reckless racing and six emulators.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:35 PM   #59
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
well the unpleasant reality is that TN is 6-bit dithered to 8-bit... so the IPS has true 8-bit (at least)

TN is much more suited for fast paced gaming...

anyways
I'm really not sure if it's a TN or not, can't find anywhere that says whether it is or isn't.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 08:37 PM   #60
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
So the top paid apps are not the best apps, the best apps are the ones nobody buys. In the way of productivity Android offers far less options for document creation, along with Androids nonuniform copy and paste system, along with a gaming sections that really only includes angry birds, reckless racing and six emulators.
Non-uniform copy and paste system? What? If you mean across devices, I can't figure out how that would affect the end user, who only has one device. Really, I don't see how it would affect anyone, end user or developer.