Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:04 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

I was thinking it might have something to do with Android being open source.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:19 PM   #62
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
Thank you good sir
You gonna pay the $40 sub?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:22 PM   #63
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
It is free for 14 days, so not so bad.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 18, 2011, 07:14 AM   #64
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Dunno. Gonna try it first.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:40 AM   #65
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Looks like its going to happen soon. App leaked, although it gives an error when you go to try and play a vid, for now:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/03...-anything-yet/
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:24 AM   #66
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Did you end up paying the 40 sub?

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:40 AM   #67
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

The official interface look great on the Xoom, seriously digging it... wish it could stream but it's a cool view of what's to come.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 03:16 PM   #68
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The official interface look great on the Xoom, seriously digging it... wish it could stream but it's a cool view of what's to come.
Sweet, I hope you guys get the working version soon.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2011, 04:55 PM   #69
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Did you end up paying the 40 sub?
nah, I haven't had a chance to try it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
Sweet, I hope you guys get the working version soon.
thanks
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:35 PM   #70
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiro View Post
I dont understand the deal with "fragmentation". If your phone is older and unable to run the newer OS thus not being able to run newer apps... upgrade?

That would be like people with win 98 / 486 machines complaining they cant run vista and play CoD.

Release the app with the requirements needed to use it, sooner or later those people that can't use it are going to upgrade their phone.
The problem is that the phones are old 4 months after release these days and with the antiquated policies of the wireless vendors having multi year contracts one would be paying full price to get the latest and greates phones.

Wireless vendors want people to upgrade more frequently as they make more money.

With android there is too many versions of the OS floating around even on newer handsets. Google needs to place some pressure on the vendors to somewhat standardize or be lost in versioning hell. But vendors won't push the update to get people to upgrade before contracts are expired and pay more money.

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2011, 01:45 PM   #71
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

I find it funny that you need some "special chipset" for either DRM or hardware acceleration. Most windows phone 7 phones use OLDER qualcomm chipsets...
Old Mar 21, 2011, 02:05 PM   #72
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PyroPath View Post
I find it funny that you need some "special chipset" for either DRM or hardware acceleration. Most windows phone 7 phones use OLDER qualcomm chipsets...
And the iPhone doesnt have this special DRM chip either.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:21 PM   #73
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

well, it could be that they've decided to chose Android as the platform with which to introduce this hardware DRM business...

or it could all be bull****
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:48 PM   #74
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
And the iPhone doesnt have this special DRM chip either.
Windows Phone 7 and iOS are also not open source. Android also (at least up until Gingerbread), didn't provide the DRM mechanisms to protect its content. I'd imagine it would be pretty easy for someone rip copyrighted content from Netflix if they made a regular APK available.

Straight from the Netflix blog:

Quote:
We regard Android as an exciting technology that drives a range of great devices that our members could use to instantly watch TV shows and movies from Netflix. We are eager to launch on these devices and are disappointed that we haven’t been able to do so already. The hurdle has been the lack of a generic and complete platform security and content protection mechanism available for Android. The same security issues that have led to piracy concerns on the Android platform have made it difficult for us to secure a common Digital Rights Management (DRM) system on these devices. Setting aside the debate around the value of content protection and DRM, they are requirements we must fulfill in order to obtain content from major studios for our subscribers to enjoy. Although we don’t have a common platform security mechanism and DRM, we are able to work with individual handset manufacturers to add content protection to their devices. Unfortunately, this is a much slower approach and leads to a fragmented experience on Android, in which some handsets will have access to Netflix and others won’t. This clearly is not the preferred solution, and we regret the confusion it might create for consumers. However, we believe that providing the service for some Android device owners is better than denying it to everyone.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:58 PM   #75
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMunEeE View Post
Windows Phone 7 and iOS are also not open source. Android also (at least up until Gingerbread), didn't provide the DRM mechanisms to protect its content. I'd imagine it would be pretty easy for someone rip copyrighted content from Netflix if they made a regular APK available.

Straight from the Netflix blog:
And it wouldnt be equally as easy on a jailbroken iOS device? Its a straw man. WP7 can be unlocked too.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:25 PM   #76
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Streaming is reportedly working on the Evo and the G2 with this version:

http://www.4shared.com/file/rf01MUIH...aclient-2.html
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:00 PM   #77
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Streaming is reportedly working on the Evo and the G2 with this version:

http://www.4shared.com/file/rf01MUIH...aclient-2.html
Downloading straight to evo now, thanks!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:11 PM   #78
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

doesn't seem to work for me...
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:30 PM   #79
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
doesn't seem to work for me...
Weird, lots on XDA say it works for them
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:42 PM   #80
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Weird, lots on XDA say it works for them
I see. Just checked a thread there and apparently, it was working for a few hours and then Netflix blocked it...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:38 AM   #81
mabran
Wrigley Field Is A Pit

mabran is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
And it wouldnt be equally as easy on a jailbroken iOS device? Its a straw man. WP7 can be unlocked too.
However it is the content providers that like the closed system. They are the ones who decide what platform they put their product on. even if the phone is unlocked, the DRM portion stays the same.

Apple and MS appease the content providers so they meet the DRM requirements imposed by the distributor ( in this case Netflix)

system spec: HYPER-V
Phenom II 1090T , 8GB X4 Crucial 1666, Samsung SATA Dual Layer Burner, 5x 1TB Samsung HE103UJ SATA HD's, Windows Server 2008 R2
mabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:37 PM   #82
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I actually prefer the screen as it cuts down on looky-loos in public places like at school.
I know exactly what you mean. I was watching my ipad (Ironman 2) at the doc office. Waiting for my wife to finish, I had this lady on my left ask me if I could restart the movie so she could see it from the beginning. Granted, if she had been hawt I would probably have complied but she was not so I didn't
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 03:14 PM   #83
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Netflix was launched today Hidavi, Nexus S and a bunch of HTC phones(including your EVO 4G) are supported.
Old May 13, 2011, 11:24 PM   #84
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 12:54 AM   #85
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
Nope, but I tried it on my Xoom, nocando
Old May 14, 2011, 02:32 AM   #86
Uber_Tiny

Uber_Tiny is still being judged by the masses

Why not just get Playon? Get to play local media as well.
Uber_Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 10:49 AM   #87
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Netflix was launched today Hidavi, Nexus S and a bunch of HTC phones(including your EVO 4G) are supported.
Tried it on my T-mobile Nexus S and it seems to work pretty well. I thought I saw a couple different workarounds for other platforms so if one doesn't work I would try looking for another. I would not be that keen on changing my hardware identification. I imagine it could easily screw up other stuff.

Last edited by aviphysics : May 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 10:56 AM   #88
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Tiny View Post
Why not just get Playon? Get to play local media as well.
Cause then you have to leave your computer on all the time which some people don't want to do. It also is gonna rely on your upstream bandwidth at home which is pretty pathetic for some of us. Also, I don't know how good playon is, but netflix has a really robust player even with relatively low bandwidth.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:04 AM   #89
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
Tried it on my T-mobile Nexus S and it seems to work pretty well. I thought I saw a couple different workarounds for other platforms so if one doesn't work I would try looking for another. I would not be that keen on changing my hardware identification. I imagine it could easily screw up other stuff.
I saved a copy of my build.prop to build.bak before I edited. It didn't affect anything anyways though, just changed what was listed in About....
Old May 14, 2011, 01:03 PM   #90
WarlorD721
Jizzlobber

WarlorD721 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I saved a copy of my build.prop to build.bak before I edited. It didn't affect anything anyways though, just changed what was listed in About....
I have an Optimus S, but may work for others too....

http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...optimus-s.html