Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default The Best Android Apps

I've just ordered an HTC Desire. I know there are some awesome Android apps out there but I've not looked at any for ages. If you have any recommendations (except spotify, that's a given ) please shout up.
kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:16 PM   #2
WPFP
i told u i was hardcore

WPFP is still being judged by the masses

JuicePlotter & JuiceDefender are really good battery monitoring/management apps.
WPFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 01:54 PM   #3
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

advanced task killer - a must have. kills applications running in the background so your battery lasts a whole lot longer
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Some cool ones I use:

Gmote- lets you control your the media playback on your PC, and even lets your phone act as a keyboard+mouse, you can control your whole PC from your phone.

Layar- You have to see it, I probably can't describe it well enough here. Basically overlays where stuff is around you on your phone display. It's just a neat version of a "what's near me" program.

Pandora- of course.

Rockplayer- little late on this one, the public beta expires tomorrow, but I'll pay for it when it's released. It's a media player for you phone that plays avi mkv rmvb flv mp4 3gp wmv mov asf , divx xvid h264 rv40 files. Really awesome little program. http://www.diffthink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4

PodKast- as the name implies it lets you find, download and stream podcasts. Probably better ones out there but this one works for me.

LauncherPro- Makes the UI better IMO. Gives you a dock at the bottom of the display and has a whole load of other features to tweak your phone.

Linda Manager- nice little file management program.

That's the best ones I've found so far, other than the obvious crap like the Facebook app, Google Maps etc.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:25 PM   #5
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Some cool ones I use:

Layar- You have to see it, I probably can't describe it well enough here. Basically overlays where stuff is around you on your phone display. It's just a neat version of a "what's near me" program.
Augmented Reality Apps are cool, but gimmicky IMO.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:04 PM   #6
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I use these among others...
  • LauncherPro as your home replacement for certain.
  • I like the "cubed" media player, search for "3" in the market. Mostly I like the widget it offers.
  • Robo Defense (because I love tower defense games)
  • Swype for all your on-screen touch keyboard needs.
  • Beautiful Widgets if you decide you want to replace the Sense UI weather/clock widget.
  • Mabilo Wallpapers for quick browsing and choosing of different wallpapers n' such, I just like their selection, there are others.
  • Google Voice for my voicemail, the transcribe feature isn't 100% but it helps and it manages to get phone numbers left for me pretty accurately.
  • Google Sky Map just because it's fun to use and show to people, it's nice when it's late at night.
That's what I'd recommend off the top of my head...
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Yceman
Radeon R600

Yceman is still being judged by the masses

Great tips. I'm about to buy a nexus one and this will come in handy
Yceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Kovster
SV650s

Kovster is still being judged by the masses

why would you get a nexus one? There are soooo many better options out there.
Kovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovster View Post
why would you get a nexus one? There are soooo many better options out there.
Because the Nexus one will always receive the newest Android features first. Other than screen size, front facing camera and wifi hotspot, the android is the same phone as many of the newer android phones.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 04:43 AM   #10
X-Reaper
A Work In Progress

X-Reaper is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debello View Post
Because the Nexus one will always receive the newest Android features first. Other than screen size, front facing camera and wifi hotspot, the android is the same phone as many of the newer android phones.
This is true pretty much! The Nexus One is Google's device they operate from. The Nexus One is the only phone that is officially running Android 2.2 Froyo(Which includes adobe Flash in the Market Place) I've been running Android 2.2 Froyo every since it was first leaked from Google.

The portable wifi hotspot is sweet and such a handy feature to have when laptops are around with no internet connection! free on T-mobile.

Adobe Flash can be set to On Demand, so you can view flash content anytime you want by pressing on the little arrow key.

Android 3.0 Gingerbread is supposed to get released by the end of the year as of now. And Nexus One owners will receive that update first! wooot.
X-Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:13 AM   #11
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it and I'll be sure to check them all out.

I think there's probably still a week to go til it arrives. It's the first time I've ever really been eager to get a phone.
kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 06:42 AM   #12
Sachankara
Rage3D Veteran

Sachankara is still being judged by the masses

Droid Comic Viewer
AK Notepad
Aldiko
APN OnOff
Astro file manager
AutoLock
Barcode Scanner
Bubble
Compass
ConnectBot
Facebook
FxCamera (or Vignette)
Last.fm
Mario Live Wallpaper
My Tracks
Pocket Empires
Replica Island
Sipdroid
SMS Backup & Restore
Urban Dictionary
WiFi OnOff
etc...
Sachankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 07:21 AM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

If you walk, run, or ride a bike, get SportsTracker, the free version is great.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:18 AM   #14
NYHecK
Bad motha-shut yo mouth!™

NYHecK is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

3banana for notes

ebuddy for all-in-one messaging

phonemypc is a cool remote desktop app. Meh over network connections, but great over wifi.

shootme for phone screenshots (need root)

any number of weather apps

sms autoreply. basically a away message for txt's

titanium backup (root also)
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:18 AM   #15
Sachankara
Rage3D Veteran

Sachankara is still being judged by the masses

"Setting Profiles" is also a cool and useful application.
Sachankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:18 AM   #16
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Processor The Android app thread***

I need to find some more cool apps for my Android phone. So cough it up... tell me about what you've found.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:32 AM   #17
Doozer
lollollollol

Doozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird sings

Nikon D7100,
Nikkor 16-35mf f4
Sigma 120-400mm
Nikon 18-55mm kit lens,
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro,
Nikkor 50mm f1.8,
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM,
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DG,
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 HSM,
Sigma x2 TC
Remote shutter release ,
Raynox D250 closeup/macro attachment,
Kenko extension tubes,
reverse lens adaptor,
Nikon SB800 flash,
Vivitar 285HV Flash unit,
Tripod (x2),
Monopod

Rage3d flickr Group
Doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:25 AM   #18
Badaro
Jack Frost!

Badaro is still being judged by the masses

Dolphin Browser
Dropbox
ES File Explorer
IMDB
NewsRob
Remote RDP Lite
Transdroid
Wapedia
Badaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:35 AM   #19
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

AIM for Android is probably the best designed IM app I've ever seen and I've seen quite a few. However, it's nowhere near the most stable, so while it's worth a look, unless you're hardcore into AIM (surely some people are), it isn't worth keeping unless and until it's fixed. It also sucks down battery pretty fast like most IM apps do - though I've read of a few that are better and drain it less speedily.

I used it more as a comparison to see just how suck the experience is on most other mobile IM apps. Though they don't force close as much!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:07 AM   #20
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ASTRO file manager --- manages files, install apk files, and includes a task manager.

Calorie counter

Queman --- for managing netflix

Budget droid

Official AIM app

IMDb app

Startup cleaner 2.0

All those are free

Last edited by Hidavi : Jul 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:03 PM   #21
Pepsin
bananed

Pepsin is still being judged by the masses

Good choice going with the HTC Desire.. Sense rocks

Some I use:
Mortplayer audiobooks
Call Meter NG
Dropbox
MSN Talk
aNotepad
Astro
AndroZip

Don't need much more, lots of great apps already come pre-installed with the phone, and the rest I do from the excellent built-in browser.

I don't bother with task killers or battery savers. They might increase the standby time slightly, but the problem with these phones isn't standby time, but the battery drain from web browsing or movie playback. Unless you only use it as a dumb phone, you're going to re-charge at least every other day anyway, so hundreds of hours of standby time becomes irrelevant. Android is great at multi tasking, why defeat it by constantly killing all your apps? It will do that for you if it runs out of RAM. http://android-developers.blogspot.c...droid-way.html

Last edited by Pepsin : Jul 23, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Pepsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:20 PM   #22
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I can't believe none of you mentioned Shop Savy. Its the best app out there, let's you bar scan stuff to price compare it to other stores near you and etailers.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:24 PM   #23
WPFP
i told u i was hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepsin View Post
Android is great at multi tasking, why defeat it by constantly killing all your apps? It will do that for you if it runs out of RAM.
I agree, but the Auto Memory Manager app is a great little way to be able to choose what gets canned and what doesn't when that happens.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:27 PM   #24
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

MSNdroid works pretty well, havent tried anything else though.
ScummVM is pretty neat, but very finicky to play point and click with your finger on a small.
Gameboid for gameboy emulation, has virtual d-pad and stuff, which I personally dont really like, but turnbased games could work.

As a general tips, I have the 3G/Mobile, and Wifi switch widgets (one square widgets on HTC sense atleast) on my first homescreen, and keep them disabled
I only enable one of them when I need them, to check e-mail or browse.
This saves massive amounts of battery.

Swedroid did a test and with 3g on they got 3 days of idle time, sitting on a table.
With it off, they got 5 hours shy of 10 days.
Wifi is much much worse I believe.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:30 PM   #25
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPFP View Post
I agree, but the Auto Memory Manager app is a great little way to be able to choose what gets canned and what doesn't when that happens.
Or you can run a properly made custom rom that's smart enough to keep free ram at all times, without having to load any app.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:52 PM   #26
WPFP
i told u i was hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Or you can run a properly made custom rom that's smart enough to keep free ram at all times, without having to load any app.
That's the plan. Unfortunately, my bastard carrier simlocks the phone if I upgrade my baseband or radio or whatever they call it too far. Apparently the phone's too new for all the cheap places I looked at to get it unlocked. And I'm cheap. So I'm going to wait a few weeks for them to get their IMEI databases updated so the fun can really start.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:43 PM   #27
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Don't mean to hijack this thread but trying to clear up a few things....

Some android phones can't run certain apps because the screen is the wrong size/resolution?

Most android apps will run on any android phone?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:56 PM   #28
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Don't mean to hijack this thread but trying to clear up a few things....

Some android phones can't run certain apps because the screen is the wrong size/resolution?

Most android apps will run on any android phone?
Apps are based off of the version of Android, as far as I know screen size isn't an issue. My 3.2" Moment will run the same games and apps as the 5" Dell Streak and 4.3" EVO, although the CPU makes a big difference in performance.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 05:35 AM   #29
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Don't listen to people recommending task killers. You don't need it.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:24 AM   #30
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah you do. Saves battery life dude.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote