Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 4, 2012, 04:18 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Heh I was thinking you were talking about the S2 the whole time. The Galaxy S is a single core phone released way back in 2010.
That is kind of my point. Year old hardware is what decides what we will see from developers. 2012 is when we will really see what 2011 hardware can do.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 04:37 PM   #152
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

So quad core SoCs will still be underutilized until 2013 then?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 04:41 PM   #153
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

yep
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 4, 2012, 04:43 PM   #154
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
So quad core SoCs will still be underutilized until 2013 then?
Talk about shelf life!
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 04:51 PM   #155
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Talk about crappy for early adopters.

My own theory is that we won't see quad core take off for a while yet. Gaming on dual core SoCs hasn't even started to take off. Multithreaded development will still run into the same issues of complexity. And the casual market is still what draws in the big bucks (not to mention works with a wider older tech install base).

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 4, 2012, 05:14 PM   #156
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Talk about crappy for early adopters.

My own theory is that we won't see quad core take off for a while yet. Gaming on dual core SoCs hasn't even started to take off. Multithreaded development will still run into the same issues of complexity. And the casual market is still what draws in the big bucks (not to mention works with a wider older tech install base).
Funny, I'm an early adopter of dual core and not once have I felt it was 'crappy'
Old Jan 4, 2012, 07:28 PM   #157
Zero
Sass hole

Of course not, you love you some specs.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:08 PM   #158
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Of course not, you love you some specs.
I also love a smooth user experience, which the dual core tablets definitely evolved to, further boosting the value
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:20 PM   #159
Zero
Sass hole

Smooth user experience on an OS notorious for its lag issue? Heh.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:28 PM   #160
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Smooth user experience on an OS notorious for its lag issue? Heh.
I was being facetious though 3.2 and ICS on the Xoom were super smooth. Xyboard with 3.2 is even smoother than either, perhaps due to the NEON support.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:49 PM   #161
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

I thought it's pretty obvious Android gaming has improved substantially over the past year.

And yes, superior hardware did bring better games. Android has games with graphical parity with iOS's best, which wasn't the case a year ago. The only big disappointments were Sony's piss poor handling of Xperia play and the Tegra 3 delay. The market is catching up, obviously it didn't take only a year for Android to surpass iOS and the same holds true for gaming.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:36 PM   #162
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
And yes, superior hardware did bring better games.
Proof required.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:45 PM   #163
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Proof required.
from my experience, tegra zone games has bought graphic setting into android gaming

let me explain more

some games allow you to set shadow, texture quality, etc.

so this is a good start for gaming, just liek pc. if you have high end nvidia gpu phone. you can porbably turn the game graphic all the way up.

i am not sure if this is the norm yet. but i have seen the graphic setting on some of the tegra zone game.

so nvidia is working with game developer that is a sure thing.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:50 PM   #164
Zero
Sass hole

The tegra zone game selection is pretty slim, not to mention a lot of titles are just regular games in HD like fruit ninja. None of the tegra zone games are what I would consider a graphical tour de force either. I mean having more graphical options is nice, it just hasn't translated into any significant impact on making better games imo.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:25 AM   #165
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
The tegra zone game selection is pretty slim, not to mention a lot of titles are just regular games in HD like fruit ninja. None of the tegra zone games are what I would consider a graphical tour de force either. I mean having more graphical options is nice, it just hasn't translated into any significant impact on making better games imo.
i think at this time, there are only 2 company that is pushing the mobile gaming on android.

1= nivida
2= SOny xperia play.

i think sony is doing what they can with its outdated xperia play hardware. ps1 port is as good as what you can get with great pyshical control on the xperia play. i am not sure if sony is going to release xperia play 2, when there is a sony vita true gaming machine.

Nvidia is also working hard on bringing games to android platform, there are a few THD game that is not yet on IOS to be honest. but are they really a showcase of the hardware. i probably think not. since tegra 3 is not yet out on the market for most country. and most tegra game is still using tegra 2 as a whole.

If you consider emulator is another gaming platform on mobile, then there are more than a handful of games you might want to play on the go.

i highly doubt there will be many tegra 3 exclusive game, think about it.
What tegra 3 can be done, can also be done on IOS.
i dont' think anyone will be lame enough to make a game for tegra 3 only, when there are no tegra 3 device besides the asus prime.

Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:33 AM   #166
Zero
Sass hole

You don't need to go SoC-exclusive to benefit from dual core technology. Very few games even do that though.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:35 AM   #167
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
You don't need to go SoC-exclusive to benefit from dual core technology. Very few games even do that though.
here is an example on cool graphic on tegra 3, althosoem of them is also on ios, not sure if quality are the same, better or worse
i must say, you can only get good graphic on mobile. the graphic is always amazing, ,but the gameplay is a different story.

Last edited by wc326 : Jan 6, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 03:49 PM   #168
Thr0tt
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Thr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyThr0tt can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Great RipTide goes all blurry when you go faster, awesome. :|

Gfx still look :meh: if you ask me but for a mobile device thats not just a gaming console I suppose its ok but soon im going to need to carry my tablet, ps vita, phone, laptop etc just to be 'complete' as none do everything very well but some things better than others.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:08 AM   #169
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i think sony is doing what they can with its outdated xperia play hardware. ps1 port is as good as what you can get with great pyshical control on the xperia play.
GTA III is Playstation 2 port.

Xperia along with any phone that has Galaxy S level hardware or better does a fine job of running PS1 games in emmulation. I believe this is how most of the Xperia PS1 games work. With an actual port they can clearly do even better.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:36 AM   #170
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr0tt View Post
Great RipTide goes all blurry when you go faster, awesome. :|

Gfx still look :meh: if you ask me but for a mobile device thats not just a gaming console I suppose its ok but soon im going to need to carry my tablet, ps vita, phone, laptop etc just to be 'complete' as none do everything very well but some things better than others.
Gee, how many PC/console games have been doing that for years?