Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Oct 9, 2019, 03:01 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexion View Post
[b][size="3"][b]Tencent also holds only a 5% stake in Blizzard compared to Epic's 40%, which makes the Overwatch developer's decision even more peculiar)

It's not about ownership. It's about wanting access to all of the Chinese player base. The NBA isn't owned by the Chinese, but the NBA can be punished by being restricted access. Hollywood isn't owned by the Chinese (yet) but China can refuse to let films they dislike air in China.

If Epic stands up and says, "Fine... don't let Chinese players access our games" then I applaud them. Will they stick to it if it happens though? All well and good to make a statement when there's nothing on the line.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 03:02 PM   #32
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I don't really think this is that big of a deal. What did you think would happen when you violated tournament rules and professional conduct?

Blizzard did what pretty much any company would have done in that situation. Tournament rules violated, player was punished. There isn't more to it.

I think it's hilarious people are trying to delete their accounts clowns. Thanks for making the Classic WoW queue shorter on Faerlina though!!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 03:08 PM   #33
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I don't really think this is that big of a deal. What did you think would happen when you violated tournament rules and professional conduct?

Blizzard did what pretty much any company would have done in that situation. Tournament rules violated, player was punished. There isn't more to it.

I think it's hilarious people are trying to delete their accounts clowns. Thanks for making the Classic WoW queue shorter on Faerlina though!!
and both commentators also fired too?

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 9, 2019, 03:08 PM   #34
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete strangerkoralis once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

Really, how can ANYONE not fall afoul of this clause?

Quote:
Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms.
A portion of the public will be offended at anything you say, which brings it back to "in Blizzards sole discretion"... ie they get to pick and choose who they punish and can be completely and totally arbitrary about it.

Ie. They're assholes. Are they within their rights based on these ridiculous terms? Guess so. They made sure they can be assholes legally. Doesn't mean that they're not totally sucking up to Chinese censors though.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 03:11 PM   #35
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
just as the NBA's original Chinese Weibo statement was pretty harsh on Daryl Morey compared to the English statement, Blizzard's official Hearthstone Weibo post made an additional comment condemning blitzchung and defending 'the pride of China'
https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1181925730877345793
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 03:13 PM   #36
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Epic's lawyers or PR staff would have most likely advised the higher ups to release a statement asap to get ahead of the inevitable questions that would have headed their way, as Tencent owns 40% of their company.

Better to get the statement out now before accusations start, looks more like common sense rather than just an opportunity to get some positive press.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
I am sure Tencent isn't happy with that though. Time to find out how big Tim Sweeney's balls are.
This... I really want someone associated with Epic to put this to the test, but chances are there was an equally strong internal-memo reminding Epic staff to STFU and not engage in any political mumbo-jumbo.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 03:15 PM   #37
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
and both commentators also fired too?
You mean the ones that egged on the player to say something that would get him in trouble? Yep. Easily replaceable with people that have some form of professionalism. People want ESports to be taken seriously but then think **** like this is A-OK. It’s a double-edged sword.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Oct 9, 2019, 06:54 PM   #38
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

According to this "walkout" article it seems only about 12% of Blizzard's income comes from that region of the world. Not sure how accurate a figure it is, but they link to the earnings report as a source.

Blizzard Employees Staged a Walkout to Protest Ban of Pro-Hong Kong Gamer
"A small group of Activision Blizzard employees walked out of work Tuesday afternoon to protest the company’s actions against a gamer who expressed support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong during an official livestream."

"Blizzard’s actions inspired a negative reaction among lawmakers, who denounced the gaming giant. On Twitter, Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) said the company was willing to “humiliate itself” to please China. And Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) declared, “Implications of this will be felt long after everyone in U.S. politics today is gone.”"(source)
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 07:13 PM   #39
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Facts:

- A Hearthstone player was punished by Blizzard because he obviously broke one of their competition rules, governing the HS Grandmasters tourney (that I happen to folow), namely:

Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public, or otherwise damages Blizzard image will result in removal from Grandmasters and reduction of the player’s prize total to $0 USD, in addition to other remedies which may be provided for under the Handbook and Blizzard’s Website Terms.

- the casters doing the interview were fired too, as they obviously encouraged this player ("Just say the 8 words now!") and when he did they hid behind the desk and giggled.

You can check it out here:
https://youtu.be/X0EsfXd7ZbE?t=18

My personal opinion (tldr; contrarian):

Last night I almost cancelled my WoW Classic sub. But that’s just because in the heat of that moment I didn’t immediately realize that supporting China opression and banning a player for tournament rules violation are really two different things, no matter how much people's emotions and political views may incline them to conflate the two.

I asked myself this:

Had it been a Chinese player, voicing their support of the Chinese regime and calling for even harsher measures against the HK protests, would Blizzard have done the same?

I pondered this question and came to the conclusion that there is no rational (read: based on known facts) reason that I can see why they wouldn’t. And that I will only be rightfully offended, lose my trust and quit AFTER such an event actually transpires. Now sure you may hypothesize they wouldn't ban a China supporter because they are in business cahoots with China. But if they chose to do that and not ban such a person, that would mean a real cause for concern seeing as THAT would be them taking sides. And a third alternative, if they allowed everybody to say what they want, it would mean opening up their gaming platform to political views and then next season you may get not only a Pooh shoutout from China, but also a Greta shoutout/rant from Europe, followed by a Trump shoutout/rant from NA, and next thing you know you’re watching an open world politics forum instead of a game because “muh freedom of speech” and Blizz was too afraid to follow their own rules to set a precedent.

So I think it’s extremely unfortunate that people are misconstruing the ban as “Blizzard siding with China” just because the banned player happened to express his anti-China political views. Had Blizzaard not done anything, the message would have been “we set rules but you are free to just walk all over us if you think your opinion happens to side with the majority of viewers”. I mean had a player expressed a pro-Trump view in the same manner, I can even see the player base decrying Blizzard for not issuing a ban (I mention this regardless of my own personal opinion on Trump or China or any other political topic).

So to conclude, I think it's perfectly fine to be upset about a company choosing to remain apolitical on a hot issue - if people want to change the way companies like Blizzard operate in this regard, then more power to them (I personally don't think they will get far).

But what people are doing here instead is they are letting their emotions and assumptions get the better of them (hell I almost cancelled my sub too and I like to think of myself as rational) and are accusing this company of being political on this issue, which is not supported by actual facts. P.S. I'm not a native speaker but is it correct to use the term "shortcut thinking" here?
It sounds to me more like the ban is them being political. Also that verbiage being in there is total bullshit, and frankly a reason to boycott Blizzard in itself. It literally says they can void someone's winnings for any reason.That makes a joke about the whole thing. It's "get out of jail free" language in the contract that never should have been used in actuality.

What if a team won the NBA championship and their coach or star player said something unpopular and the championship was revoked? It would be total bullshit, just as it is in this case. People can say things, even unpopular things, or act in unacceptable ways, and that should be separate from whether or not they won a tournament.

If someone spouted off in praise of Trump after winning, I might think they're an idiot, but I wouldn't want them to be banned or forfeit their winnings. Over the years, athletes have said all kinds of stupid crap after winning, it doesn't mean I necessarily respect their intellect, but it also doesn't void their win. I mean, it's their right to say it, whether I agree or not.

I'd go so far as to say that if someone said something truly heinous after winning, I don't know, supporting the Holocaust or something, that still should not void their winning. Fine if they're not invited to further competition, but it should not retroactively cost them their winnings. In this case, the statement was far more innocuous and less offensive than that.

Last edited by Nagorak : Oct 9, 2019 at 07:19 PM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 08:17 PM   #40
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
In this case, the statement was far more innocuous and less offensive than that.
Not to communist china it wasn't.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 09:46 PM   #41
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

While Trumps trade war with China might hurt in the short term, it's in our best interest to see that through. We built this beast by sending all of our production there, and now we get to live with it.

Their people went from dirt poor to either rich or slightly above poor all while their government reaped all the benefits. They have no freedom, and as you can see here they're afraid of their government.

They steel all of our tech, treat their people like ****, and try to spread that bullshit via stuff like this.

If the world thinks the US is the bad guy, they have a HUGE "woke" moment coming if China keeps growing.

Last edited by Greasy : Oct 9, 2019 at 11:20 PM.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:04 PM   #42
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Bires once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I was able to get my delete battle.net ticket in before the server freeze.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:38 AM   #43
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:40 AM   #44
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Apple bowed to China by removing a Hong Kong protests map from its app store
https://qz.com/1725175/apple-removed...its-app-store/
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:43 AM   #45
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Apple doesn't really have a choice, as long as they feel like they need to manufacture iphones.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2019, 12:52 AM   #46
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Apple doesn't really have a choice, as long as they feel like they need to manufacture iphones.
and blizzard signed contracts with china

unless they want to pullout of china

I think they all should
Old Oct 10, 2019, 07:50 AM   #47
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I think it’s pretty crazy how the cold-war era line of thinking has carried forward generations
Old Oct 11, 2019, 03:23 AM   #48
MNB4800
Radeon Sea Islands

MNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird sings

I had Battle.net uninstalled for over a year now. Since they perma banned me for their own mysterious interpretation of "Abusive Chat" in Overwatch. The fact that they refused to give specifics on the matter and treated me really badly with their support tickets. Yes I do rage, no more than I did in WoW, Dota 2, SFV, CSGO and whatever other online game in which I was never ever was permanently banned.

Amazingly, after my ban, they got into so many shenanigans such as the Soldier 67 is gay, increased diversity pandering in OW, Diablo Mobile, Core members leaving, ...etc. They even have a tight grip on social media where they silent delete posts and threads on Reddit and youtube.

They have reached far and it just a continued downward trend and I really hope the decision makers in that organization get impacted.
Steam ID: Vayne4800, Origin: Vayne4800, Battletag: Vayne#2528
MNB4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2019, 03:30 AM   #49
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Well, out of the games you listed, OW is the only one where they are actively trying to counter toxic behavior.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2019, 04:03 AM   #50
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

This about sums this whole mess up:

Only thing the guy gets wrong is the extradition law he mentions was never passed and eventually scrapped by the HK government this summer, and so the HK protesters came up with other 4 demands. He's saying the protesters are still fighting this particular law while that's obviously not the case any more.

Last edited by globalist : Oct 11, 2019 at 04:11 AM.
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2019, 08:24 AM   #51
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
According to this "walkout" article it seems only about 12% of Blizzard's income comes from that region of the world. Not sure how accurate a figure it is, but they link to the earnings report as a source.

Blizzard Employees Staged a Walkout to Protest Ban of Pro-Hong Kong Gamer
"A small group of Activision Blizzard employees walked out of work Tuesday afternoon to protest the company’s actions against a gamer who expressed support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong during an official livestream."

"Blizzard’s actions inspired a negative reaction among lawmakers, who denounced the gaming giant. On Twitter, Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) said the company was willing to “humiliate itself” to please China. And Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) declared, “Implications of this will be felt long after everyone in U.S. politics today is gone.”"(source)
You dun goofed when both Republicans and Democrats are attacking you.

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2019, 01:18 PM   #52
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Oct 11, 2019, 01:23 PM   #53
Athena
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Blizzard and NBA should do a team up on this!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 01:40 PM   #54
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Blizzard and NBA should do a team up on this!
wonder how much unrest China would have if both fully pulled out of China

blizzard could turn off the China servers and none of the games would work in China

google is the worst in this and they are not getting heat like blizzard is
Old Oct 11, 2019, 02:59 PM   #55
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
wonder how much unrest China would have if both fully pulled out of China

blizzard could turn off the China servers and none of the games would work in China

google is the worst in this and they are not getting heat like blizzard is
It would be the same as it is now. Chinas government couldnt give any less ****s about its people playing Overwatch and watching the NBA. They might even pull the plugs themselves on both.

The fact of the matter is they both want that slice of the china market so in reality neither of them will do it.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2019, 03:20 PM   #56
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
It would be the same as it is now. Chinas government couldnt give any less ****s about its people playing Overwatch and watching the NBA. They might even pull the plugs themselves on both.

The fact of the matter is they both want that slice of the china market so in reality neither of them will do it.
China is so scary that if they decided the NBA no longer exists, they would wipe it off their Internet, news services, history books, etc. just like they did with South Park. Instead of giving their people freedom and democracy, risking they choose someone else to make political decisions, they rule by controlling information, removing choices and fear. I admit that it's not perfect anywhere and winners get to rewrite history the way they want, but to actively be able to wipe out something from a population's shared consciousness is unbelievable.

That said, if Overwatch was blackballed and disappeared from the Chinese market, it would ultimately hurt Blizzard which I guess is the point. It would be a proof of concept if anything.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2019, 03:50 PM   #57
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I wouldnt be surprised if they wiped Blizzard from its country just to make a statement. Absolute control like that is crazy

If they continue to go on like that I wonder what would be the straw that broke the camels back and creates a real revolt.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2019, 06:00 PM   #58
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
If they continue to go on like that I wonder what would be the straw that broke the camels back and creates a real revolt.

Honestly, it could be one of these. The mainland seems a lot more stable than some of its other, ahem, holdings, but China's been rapidly growing and rapidly moving towards non-communist ideals for a long time now. You cut off a significant source of entertainment for a long time (think of how big WC3 and stuff was, if they cut all of Blizz stuff from their internet there will be a huge shakeup in their games market), and that may be more than enough for the younger generation, raised under a largely capitalist status-quo over the official communist stance, to start really pushing for reform.

I guess we'll see, though. This is certainly enough of a fiasco to warrant an official response out of China, and it could even get worse if there are demonstrations and things at Blizzcon (in 3 weeks).
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2019, 06:34 PM   #59
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
Honestly, it could be one of these. The mainland seems a lot more stable than some of its other, ahem, holdings, but China's been rapidly growing and rapidly moving towards non-communist ideals for a long time now. You cut off a significant source of entertainment for a long time (think of how big WC3 and stuff was, if they cut all of Blizz stuff from their internet there will be a huge shakeup in their games market), and that may be more than enough for the younger generation, raised under a largely capitalist status-quo over the official communist stance, to start really pushing for reform.

I guess we'll see, though. This is certainly enough of a fiasco to warrant an official response out of China, and it could even get worse if there are demonstrations and things at Blizzcon (in 3 weeks).
Quote:
Gamers Are Organizing a Mass Protest at Blizzard's BlizzCon
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/m...zards-blizzcon

looks like it's going to be fun and games till someone loses a weiner
Old Oct 11, 2019, 09:20 PM   #60
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Well they released a statement. It's about in line with what I expected and while it sounds reasonable and plausible enough, do we think people will believe them when they say " our relationships in China had no influence on our decision."

My guess is no, and I think the haste at which they reacted to it is really plenty of evidence.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/bliz...ers-tournament
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote