Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 27, 2016, 01:18 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Default Older PC games with newest VR, how is it?

Games like System Shock 1, Doom, Outcast, Serious Sam 1, X-wing/Tie Fighter, Deus Ex, Crusader: No Remorse, Vampire- Masquerade, Red Alert, etc.

VR owners, have any of these been tested or tried?

If so, how are they in both shock/awe factor and usability (reading txt, UI, etc)?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 01:30 PM   #2
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Games like System Shock 1, Doom, Outcast, Serious Sam 1, X-wing/Tie Fighter, Deus Ex, Crusader: No Remorse, Vampire- Masquerade, Red Alert, etc.

If so, how are they in both shock/awe factor and usability (reading txt, UI, etc)?

Unfortunately a lot games dont work in VR. I dont know about any that you listed but Im pretty sure they dont work in VR
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2016, 02:20 PM   #3
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

There's a vr mod for doom, I can almost guarantee that the 2d games in that list currently have no vr mods though.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 27, 2016, 02:43 PM   #4
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yeah there are some games that are just not goingto get VR, especially ones like x-wing/tie fighter, those are impossible.

and Red Alert? wut

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Only game I would love to revisit in VR is WoW just to get a sense of the scale and world. It would be pretty great I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I would say the experience is pretty bad, even when the games work with something like VorpX (as others said, not all of the games you listed are probably supported). It's unfortunate because I had high expectations for this when I purchased my Vive, but at this point I consider normal 3D games basically unplayable.

Problem 1: Poor Head Tracking
The first problem is the head tracking doesn't really work right, since it just emulates the mouse. The way your viewpoint works in 3D games is basically just like a ball rotating in place, but that isn't exactly how we look around, we shift slightly side to side, or lean forward or back a bit. So, for example if you look down or left or right without keeping your body entirely still, then what you see doesn't match what you're body is doing, resulting in motion sickness (the rotational axis in game probably won't exactly match that of your head, so things will feel "off", regardless). It can be hard enough dealing with motion sickness in a seated VR game that is designed for it, let alone a game that is not!

Problem 2: Uncontrolled Movement (cut scenes, head bob)
Next problem is cut scenes taking control of your viewpoint, which is an absolutely terrible experience. Basically any time your viewpoint doesn't match what your body is physically doing, the result is bad. Things like head bob are also bad in this way. In all cases, the outcome is a vestibular mismatch and motion sickness.

Problem 3: Improper FOV/Resolution
Then there is the issue with FOV/resolution. The resolution in each eye of the HMD is closer to being a square (actually it's taller than it is wide). In a lot of games you can't set the resolution to be native to the Vive/Rift, so you get around it by basically zooming in on the screen. That means a bunch of stuff that is expected to be on the screen gets cut off. There are adjustments you can make for the hud, but usually the hud is basically useless. The cross hair is a 2D overlay, and either it doesn't converge at all, or depending on how far away your target is, the cross hair doesn't line up right.

It also means that things like your gun end up being way too close to your viewpoint. Like in L4D2 you have a huge pistol just hanging there at the edge of your vision. Up close objects like your gun in FPS games simply are not placed properly for when you're actually in that perspective (it's strange, but true). You can adjust the game's FOV sometimes, but when you do that so that your gun is right, it distorts things so that when you move you're like running at a hundred miles an hour (once again, moving extra fast means even worse motion sickness).

Problem 4: Poor VR Implementation
Finally, a lot of games don't look that great in VR. There are basically different methods of rendering the views for each eye. The fake ones (Z-3D) don't really give much 3D effect. It's not at all like being in a true VR experience, instead it's more like having a 2D monitor strapped to your face, with only limited 3D effect. Geometry 3D, when it's supported, works better (still not as good as native VR implementation IMO), but it's slow, meaning anything remotely modern is probably unplayable.

Concluding Remarks
Some people's bodies apparently don't have as much trouble dealing with this stuff, but don't count on being one of them! Honestly, when I heard these things going in, I basically just disregarded them because I am not one to suffer from motion sickness or sea sickness. It didn't matter at all. All of the complaints were 100% correct, and the result for me has been terrible!

However, native room scale VR games provide no issues at all, since what you see matches what your vestibular system expects. I haven't played many seated games yet, but House of the Dying Sun where you're in a space fighter doesn't cause me any problems (possibly because the fighter remains stable around you, providing a reference point). I'll try Project CARS out later today.

Bottom Line
  • It's possible that you will not be affected as much as I am, and will have a better experience. BUT I would not buy an HMD with the expectation of playing older games! If it works, consider it a bonus.
  • I would also strongly recommend the Vive over the Rift because the room scale experience is not as prone to motion sickness issues as the seated experience.
  • Lastly, don't assume that just because you don't experience motion sickness in real life that you're immune, I can tell you from personal experience that sim sickness is something entirely different.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2016, 07:40 PM   #7
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I would say the experience is pretty bad, even when the games work with something like VorpX (as others said, not all of the games you listed are probably supported). It's unfortunate because I had high expectations for this when I purchased my Vive, but at this point I consider normal 3D games basically unplayable.

Problem 1: Poor Head Tracking
The first problem is the head tracking doesn't really work right, since it just emulates the mouse. The way your viewpoint works in 3D games is basically just like a ball rotating in place, but that isn't exactly how we look around, we shift slightly side to side, or lean forward or back a bit. So, for example if you look down or left or right without keeping your body entirely still, then what you see doesn't match what you're body is doing, resulting in motion sickness (the rotational axis in game probably won't exactly match that of your head, so things will feel "off", regardless). It can be hard enough dealing with motion sickness in a seated VR game that is designed for it, let alone a game that is not!

Problem 2: Uncontrolled Movement (cut scenes, head bob)
Next problem is cut scenes taking control of your viewpoint, which is an absolutely terrible experience. Basically any time your viewpoint doesn't match what your body is physically doing, the result is bad. Things like head bob are also bad in this way. In all cases, the outcome is a vestibular mismatch and motion sickness.

Problem 3: Improper FOV/Resolution
Then there is the issue with FOV/resolution. The resolution in each eye of the HMD is closer to being a square (actually it's taller than it is wide). In a lot of games you can't set the resolution to be native to the Vive/Rift, so you get around it by basically zooming in on the screen. That means a bunch of stuff that is expected to be on the screen gets cut off. There are adjustments you can make for the hud, but usually the hud is basically useless. The cross hair is a 2D overlay, and either it doesn't converge at all, or depending on how far away your target is, the cross hair doesn't line up right.

It also means that things like your gun end up being way too close to your viewpoint. Like in L4D2 you have a huge pistol just hanging there at the edge of your vision. Up close objects like your gun in FPS games simply are not placed properly for when you're actually in that perspective (it's strange, but true). You can adjust the game's FOV sometimes, but when you do that so that your gun is right, it distorts things so that when you move you're like running at a hundred miles an hour (once again, moving extra fast means even worse motion sickness).

Problem 4: Poor VR Implementation
Finally, a lot of games don't look that great in VR. There are basically different methods of rendering the views for each eye. The fake ones (Z-3D) don't really give much 3D effect. It's not at all like being in a true VR experience, instead it's more like having a 2D monitor strapped to your face, with only limited 3D effect. Geometry 3D, when it's supported, works better (still not as good as native VR implementation IMO), but it's slow, meaning anything remotely modern is probably unplayable.

Concluding Remarks
Some people's bodies apparently don't have as much trouble dealing with this stuff, but don't count on being one of them! Honestly, when I heard these things going in, I basically just disregarded them because I am not one to suffer from motion sickness or sea sickness. It didn't matter at all. All of the complaints were 100% correct, and the result for me has been terrible!

However, native room scale VR games provide no issues at all, since what you see matches what your vestibular system expects. I haven't played many seated games yet, but House of the Dying Sun where you're in a space fighter doesn't cause me any problems (possibly because the fighter remains stable around you, providing a reference point). I'll try Project CARS out later today.
Mostly what he just said. If you have a game that you just have to play in VR, it can work and work well after a lot of tweaking depending on the game but if you want to just try out old games with something like VorpX, you will be disappointed.

Also, Project cars causes 0 motion sickness for me but I have only really experienced it two times. First was playing The Solus Project, I had the walking speed cranked up from default 40 to 70 and my knee started to bother me so I sat down. Second was The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, I sat down to see if lowering my perspective would help with the scale being off in that game and was running through a house with doors that warped you all over.

Quote:
Bottom Line
  • It's possible that you will not be affected as much as I am, and will have a better experience. BUT I would not buy an HMD with the expectation of playing older games! If it works, consider it a bonus.
  • I would also strongly recommend the Vive over the Rift because the room scale experience is not as prone to motion sickness issues as the seated experience.
  • Lastly, don't assume that just because you don't experience motion sickness in real life that you're immune, I can tell you from personal experience that sim sickness is something entirely different.
Hmm, lets try this one more time.

Yooouuuuu...caaaannn...sttaaaannnnd...uuup...aaaannnd....waaaallllk...aaarrrooouuunnnd...wwwiiiithhh h...aaaaa...Riiiiiifffft.

I don't know why you keep thinking or at least claiming that you can not but it works just fine. You are just limited to the 13.5' or so length of the cord. I play most of the first person games that way.
jimjobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post

Hmm, lets try this one more time.

Yooouuuuu...caaaannn...sttaaaannnnd...uuup...aaaannnd....waaaallllk...aaarrrooouuunnnd...wwwiiiithhh h...aaaaa...Riiiiiifffft.

I don't know why you keep thinking or at least claiming that you can not but it works just fine. You are just limited to the 13.5' or so length of the cord. I play most of the first person games that way.
Oculus officially discourages it though. The experience they are promoting is a seated experience, and that's definitely going to affect the type of games available for it, and how well they work. Whereas games made for the Vive mostly integrate room scale from the start. That's not counting the lack of official motion controllers for the Rift right now.

It's just my opinion, but for a room scale experience I would favor the Vive at this point. For primarily seated gaming, Rift could very well be a better experience than a Vive (reportedly lighter, the camera setup is less clunky than the lighthouses, etc).
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:34 PM   #9
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Oculus officially discourages it though. The experience they are promoting is a seated experience, and that's definitely going to affect the type of games available for it, and how well they work. Whereas games made for the Vive mostly integrate room scale from the start. That's not counting the lack of official motion controllers for the Rift right now.

It's just my opinion, but for a room scale experience I would favor the Vive at this point. For primarily seated gaming, Rift could very well be a better experience than a Vive (reportedly lighter, the camera setup is less clunky than the lighthouses, etc).
http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-...ey-works-fine/

it was discouraged with the DK's but with CV1 they just aren't pushing it on developers.

I get up and move around all the time and there are games that its pretty much required. Sometimes even for sitting games like Chronos I will get up and walk over to peek around a corner to see what I am about to walk into.

I don't have a Vive yet, so I can not compare the two experiences but to say Rift cant do it or it is discouraged is just false. From what I have seen, Vive encourages devs to use room scale and motion control witch is likely what is leading to all the games that look like Wii shovelware.

Have you had extensive time on both? Have you even tried a game that would benefit from getting up and moving around on the Rift? If the answer is no to either of those, please stop stating an ignorant and or biased opinion as fact.

EDIT: Right now, I think but am not sure, all Oculus games are available on the Vive and due to the lack of motion controllers, that is not true for the Rift. I have heard mention that the Oculus has a little better display but the specs are identical so if there is a difference its likely not much. Pretty much every review states that the Vive is heavy and clunky compared to the Rift. I generally do not mind wearing the Rift at all but there have been a couple days where it just wasn't comfortable at all for some reason so I do worry a little that when I get a Vive, I wont like wearing it. If the comfort level is that much different (I personally don't know) and that is a major factor in your decision, I guess Rift is the choice. If you can't wait for motion controls, Vive would be the way to go. Before the year is out, I don't imagine there will be much difference between the two.

And if you want to move around and you have a lot of dangerous stuff you can run into, Vive is your only choice. I have never run into any thing but I can't count how many times I have taken the headset off to find myself on the opposite side of the room or facing a completely different direction than I thought or both.

Last edited by jimjobob : Jun 27, 2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:43 PM   #10
Nagorak

Quote:
http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-...ey-works-fine/

it was discouraged with the DK's but with CV1 they just aren't pushing it on developers.

I get up and move around all the time and there are games that its pretty much required. Sometimes even for sitting games like Chronos I will get up and walk over to peek around a corner to see what I am about to walk into.

I don't have a Vive yet, so I can not compare the two experiences but to say Rift cant do it or it is discouraged is just false. From what I have seen, Vive encourages devs to use room scale and motion control witch is likely what is leading to all the games that look like Wii shovelware.

Have you had extensive time on both? Have you even tried a game that would benefit from getting up and moving around on the Rift? If the answer is no to either of those, please stop stating an ignorant and or biased opinion as fact.
With all due respect, you're doing something with your Rift that's not even officially supported and then saying it does it just as well as the Vive (which is not true, you don't even have motion controllers). You might have an argument if the touch controllers were out now, but they're not. For most (all?) room scale games the touch controllers are an integral part.

You're seriously telling me that if someone wanted to play Job Simulator or Fantastic Contraption or any other room scale game right now, that they should buy a Rift instead of a Vive? I'm talking about now, not in six months from now. In the future things could very well be different.

Oculus made it very clear they were focusing on a seated experience, at least at first, and that is reflected in the games that currently exist for it (it even says that in the article you linked). The quality of the Vive games is kind of beside the point. I won't argue that a lot of them are pretty lame.

Anyway, on the topic that was asked, I have no doubt a straight up seated VR game will still be a much better experience than trying to play old games with VorpX.

Last edited by Nagorak : Jun 27, 2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 11:01 PM   #11
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
With all due respect, you're doing something with your Rift that's not even officially supported and then saying it does it just as well as the Vive (which is not true, you don't even have motion controllers). You might have an argument if the touch controllers were out now, but they're not. For most (all?) room scale games the touch controllers are an integral part.

You're seriously telling me that if someone wanted to play Job Simulator or Fantastic Contraption or any other room scale game right now, that they should buy a Rift instead of a Vive? I'm talking about now, not in six months from now. In the future things could very well be different.

Oculus made it very clear they were focusing on a seated experience, at least at first, and that is reflected in the games that currently exist for it (it even says that in the article you linked). The quality of the Vive games is kind of beside the point. I won't argue that a lot of them are kind of lame.

Anyway, on the topic that was asked, I have no doubt a straight up seated VR game will still be a much better experience than trying to play old games with VorpX.
Never once did I say the Rift was as good as or better than Vive at room scale. Just that it is not a strictly seated VR experience. To state that if you want to get up and move around get a Vive because Oculus is strictly for seated gaming and standing is discouraged is just false. I am just asking that you strictly state your opinion as just that and stop giving false information.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 05:18 AM   #12
Nagorak

I tried Project CARS and the experience was pretty bad. I could tolerate it, but still feel nauseous after about an hour, so it's possible I am just very susceptible to sim sickness. That would mean my experience with VorpX is probably the worst case scenario, and you could do better. But, like I said, don't count on it before you try it.

Quote:
Never once did I say the Rift was as good as or better than Vive at room scale. Just that it is not a strictly seated VR experience. To state that if you want to get up and move around get a Vive because Oculus is strictly for seated gaming and standing is discouraged is just false. I am just asking that you strictly state your opinion as just that and stop giving false information.
OK, so your disagreement with what I'm saying is because with the Rift you can also stand in one spot, instead of sit? I have to be honest, I really don't understand where you're coming from. Oculus themselves have largely presented themselves as targeting a seated experience. If you google "Oculus seated experience" dozens of articles and quotes come up. I guess technically you may be correct that what's stated above is my opinion, but I don't feel like it's a very controversial one. I'm not even sure the guys at Oculus would disagree with it, since all the articles seem to suggest they hold a low opinion of room scale.

Also, just for the record, I hope the Rift works great in room scale, and that Oculus eventually walks back their opposition to it. If so, I might even eventually get a Rift with Touch controllers for my second HMD.

Last edited by Nagorak : Jun 28, 2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 07:48 AM   #13
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Well with this feedback my already low interest in VR is even lower.

If most older games are not compatible or can't even half work with VR, forget this.

This tech will die off like 3D TV; way to many caveats involved for the general public, including myself.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 08:34 AM   #14
Gregor976
Radeon R520

Gregor976 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGregor976 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

As per the other thread, I loved Quake on VR. It's the only old game I've played on it though. Head tracking was spot on. It was great. The FOV and scale was perfect. I played most of it, and that was without the new texture packs etc...

I haven't bought vorpx or tinkered with the free one (Vireio Perception). We've been too busy playing. I will no doubt play Skyrim on it eventually.

No way I would buy it just for old games though, because conversions or mods as good as Quake just might not... materialize.

We accidentally preordered 2 Oculus Rifts because the site went down just after he had put in the info the first time and we didn't get any confirmation so we did it a second time just to be sure and we didn't think a second one would go through because the site said "one per household". We didn't know it until we got the second tracking number and both were on the way. The UPS guy knew what they were and told us he changed his route so we would get them a lot earlier in the day. The plan was to get one Oculus Rift and one Vive, so we were just going to return one, but after unboxing one and taking turns playing with it for about 45 minutes that plan just evaporated.

3d will die off if humans eventually evolve into cyclopse, and VR in its present form will die off once holodecks become a thing, but then it will no longer be virtual, it will instead be quite tangible.

Some people still don't even have an online presence. There will always be people unwilling or unable to embrace new tech. That's just how it is. That's their prerogative.

https://www.evevalkyrie.com/ is no X-wing/Tie fighter/Viper, but it will do until we get those.

EDIT: I did finally experience a bit of VR motion sickness playing Dreadhalls, but that was because I just constantly kept looking behind me and looking at the map while moving. That's what gets me in cars too. I am so grateful to have voice nav. heh

Last edited by Gregor976 : Jun 28, 2016 at 08:41 AM.
Gregor976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2016, 09:26 AM   #15
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
OK, so your disagreement with what I'm saying is because with the Rift you can also stand in one spot, instead of sit? I have to be honest, I really don't understand where you're coming from. Oculus themselves have largely presented themselves as targeting a seated experience. If you google "Oculus seated experience" dozens of articles and quotes come up. I guess technically you may be correct that what's stated above is my opinion, but I don't feel like it's a very controversial one. I'm not even sure the guys at Oculus would disagree with it, since all the articles seem to suggest they hold a low opinion of room scale.

Also, just for the record, I hope the Rift works great in room scale, and that Oculus eventually walks back their opposition to it. If so, I might even eventually get a Rift with Touch controllers for my second HMD.
Oculus presents the rift as seated AND standing experiance because they want everyone to be able to play every singel game that is for the rift
It can do room scale with touch without problem as devs with touch have showed running vive games

But oculus doesnt push that so its up to the devs if they want to do it for their games. And as seen if they already did the game for the vive then they can simply just do it for the touch also if they want.

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:59 AM   #16
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

If most older games are not compatible or can't even half work with VR, forget this.

This tech will die off like 3D TV; way to many caveats involved for the general public, including myself.
but Red Alert, Tie Fighter etc? How do you even think those would work in the first place.

Gimmie that crack, because obviously it's amazing.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2016, 02:18 PM   #17
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
OK, so your disagreement with what I'm saying is because with the Rift you can also stand in one spot, instead of sit?
at this point I am pretty sure you are just failing at trolling because there is no way you could continually confuse walking around with standing still.

Quote:
Oculus themselves have largely presented themselves as targeting a seated experience. If you google "Oculus seated experience" dozens of articles and quotes come up. I guess technically you may be correct that what's stated above is my opinion, but I don't feel like it's a very controversial one. I'm not even sure the guys at Oculus would disagree with it, since all the articles seem to suggest they hold a low opinion of room scale.
Hmm starting to wonder...... detecting extreme fanboy blindness. You might wan to see someone about that.

For those of you that can comprehend what they read, the rift has been around for some time starting with DK1 so there is a lot of information out there that does not apply to the CV1. To be honest it can get tiresome when searching for things about it and constantly being flooded with articles and posts that are several years old. Nagarok just chooses to ignore this fact because it does not fit with his narative.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Oculus presents the rift as seated AND standing experiance because they want everyone to be able to play every singel game that is for the rift
It can do room scale with touch without problem as devs with touch have showed running vive games

But oculus doesnt push that so its up to the devs if they want to do it for their games. And as seen if they already did the game for the vive then they can simply just do it for the touch also if they want.

Nagarok, it's ok you still made a good purchase. It also doesn't matter what option others go with. As long as people are purchasing VR headsets and software it will continue to grow and every one wins.

For those of you looking into getting one or the other, best advice I can give is treat it like a TV purchase. Both do pretty much the same thing, with small sacrifices and small gains from either side. Do your own research and form your own opinions. Others opinions hold some value, especially if they have substantial experience with all options but you are going to run into a lot of the I own a ____ because there the best mentality.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 07:10 PM   #18
Nagorak

I think we just have totally different viewpoints, so we're not really getting anywhere. People can do their own research and come to their own opinions.

My basic viewpoint though is I'm not that impressed with VR with a controller. I think room scale with motion controllers provides a much more immersive experience. Anyone thinking of getting either the Vive or Rift should consider demoing them first, if at all possible, to see what each of them offer.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 03:23 PM   #19
soylent
Hufu

soylent is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Games not designed for VR are rarely usable in VR. The kind of games that would work with little adaption is 3D platformers, isometric games and racing games (just keep awkward spinning motion, weird acceleration and cut scenes with force perspective to a minimum).

Sim sickness for me is cold sweats and I have a pretty high treshold; I stop when it gets to this level and don't "push through it", which is supposedly a bad thing to do.

I can play TF2 in VR for about half an hour but not with the same amount of and rate of turning as on a 2D screen, and it won't feel too bad. I feel like if I really wanted to, I could get accustomed to playing this in VR for longer without cold sweats. But it will never feel natural or be all that interesting.

TF2 in VR is pretty interesting experience at first, but a bad gameplay experience. The lack of room scale and motion controler support is a big turn off; I'd rather be playing hover junkers or something designed for VR. Heavy has arms like f***ing tree trunks; you don't realize how weirdly proportioned these characters are until you see them in VR. The way mouse controls work in VR, to keep sim sickness down, is to have a "keyhole" where the crosshair moves independently of your view, until you reach the edge of the screen, where the crosshair moves the view as well.

There is a version of the dolphin emulator that supports VR. F-zero and zelda games work well; but most games aren't suitable for VR.

The Vireio perception guys are doing some interesting things; trying to hack in room scale and motion controler support in older games. Currently it just supports fallout 4 and I haven't tried it, but I'm keeping an eye on them.

The kinds of games that are only suitable on a 2D monitor you can play on a simulated 2D monitor. This doesn't make a whole lot of sense today; but it will in a couple of head set generations. Next gen VR headsets will use eye tracking and foveated rendering, which is a factor 50-100 performance savings because you can use a much lower resolution where you won't notice. At the fovea you can see ~60 pixels per degree; at 10 degrees out is only ~12 pixels per degree.

Currently, made for VR content is just so much better than nearly all legacy content.

Precautions:
Keep locked up. Do not ingest. Do not breathe dust. Avoid contact with eyes. Wear suitable protective clothing. If ingested,
seek medical advice immediately and show the container or the label. Keep away from incompatibles such as oxidizing
agents, acids.
soylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 03:38 PM   #20
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

you can also use Tridef and get 3D Vision gaming in the VR goggles. Just lower overall res of course.

but for the original post... wth . How the f are 20-25yo games gonna have VR

Quote:

Make sure to stay away from DX12 then. And no 21:9 monitors.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 08:07 PM   #21
soylent
Hufu

soylent is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by night View Post
but for the original post... wth . How the f are 20-25yo games gonna have VR
Modders. Richard burns rally is 12 years old and has VR support; the game isn't even for sale anywhere and hasn't been for years. This was an amazing game, and it still is.

There's a VR mod for one of the doom engine source ports that supports Doom 1, Doom 2 and Heretic. It's for Oculus CV1, but presumably works on vive with revive. (I really, really don't recommend trying Doom in VR; it sounds like a projectile vomit inducing experience)

Emulators. There's a VR version of the dolphin emulator which works rather well with suitable games (e.g. F-zero).

Precautions:
Keep locked up. Do not ingest. Do not breathe dust. Avoid contact with eyes. Wear suitable protective clothing. If ingested,
seek medical advice immediately and show the container or the label. Keep away from incompatibles such as oxidizing
agents, acids.
soylent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2016, 08:47 PM   #22
Nagorak

Theoretically any game that runs in DX9 can work with VorpX. So, you could possibly play the original Unreal and maybe Deus Ex if you download a DX9 renderer plug-in for them. No guarantees it will work, but it's possible.

Now, as to whether you'd want to, that's a different story. However, I should mention one thing I left out from my previous review: one thing you can do is run in virtual cinema in Vorpx. That way the game basically renders as if you're watching a 3D movie on a big screen. Head tracking just tracks you looking around the "theater", and you control in game with keyboard and mouse as normal (just controlling with keyboard and mouse is much better than having weird head tracking in my experience).

That mode is a little bit less bad than trying to play with straight up head tracking and an excessively zoomed in screen which doesn't work right. I managed to play about 10-15 minutes in Portal 2 instead of less than 1 minute with full head tracking. However, the feeling of nausea was still ultimately worse than the plus of playing with 3D vision.

With a game as dated as Deus Ex, I also think you need to ask whether it's really going to add much to the experience. Deus Ex wasn't amazing looking even when it came out. I'm not sure whether getting it into VR is going to be that impressive.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 09:19 PM   #23
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:

Sounds like what you need is a VFX-1!

Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2016, 09:56 PM   #24
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

What about Mechwarrior 2? I should think that should work and be awesome with VR.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:07 PM   #25
Nagorak

Quote:
What about Mechwarrior 2? I should think that should work and be awesome with VR.
Yeah, in theory the Mechwarriors would work well. Unfortunately, I think they're actually too old to work with VorpX (not sure about the other options). Games have to be at least DX9 to work, and even MW4 Mercs is only DX8.

You could probably play Mechwarrior Online though. (One of the greatest disappointments to me is that the only MW game that came out in recent memory is online only. )
Old Sep 22, 2018, 01:42 PM   #26
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

2 years later and I'm still looking to play Dos games with modern VR hardware; not necessarily in true VR but stereo 3D mode.

Are there any improvements or advancements yet for the OP?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 03:14 AM   #27
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'andino once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Nope.

VorpX is still around but it isn't all that grand.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2018, 08:14 AM   #28
Seyiji
Team 🌙 Moon

Seyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationSeyiji has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

-"---"-
Rage3D PC Gaming Hit-List
Official PC Gaming Deals Thread
Has the above thread been misplaced/renamed/merged/stickied/locked? Well then there's a doins transpirin! Find the tome and bring forth the sacrifice to restore peace and order.
"VIAGRA FALLS, slowly I turned, and step by step, inch by inch, I walked up to him, I smashed him, I hit him, I bonked him, I bopped him, I socked him and I mashed his face and I knocked him down."
Seyiji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2018, 01:45 PM   #29
JohnnyFlash
Radeon R520

JohnnyFlash is still being judged by the masses

I had an oculus DK for two weeks back in 2014: You can become very aware of the fact that anyone could stab you in the chest, and you would have zero idea it was going to happen.

Never interested after that experience.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 04:32 PM   #30
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Doom BFG has it's own mod and supposed to be very good, although i still haven't gotten around to it

& the alien isolation mod just keeps getting better.
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote