Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 20, 2020, 06:56 PM   #421
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
the_sextein
Radeon Northern Islands

the_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird singsthe_sextein knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
So, turns out that ABL not being an issue on the CX is absolutely not true at all. It's still in full effect. :lol

Came across this video today, where he specifically takes the time to point it out as one of the things he didn't like at 6:57. You can see it turning on and off.

On older TV's you had ABL and it was annoying and you couldn't turn it off. The newer panels have ABL and ABSL. You can't turn off ABL but you can turn of ABSL. ABL by itself no longer causes that issue. Some people refer to the problem as ABL but it's now tied to ABSL. It's still a problem but I have it turned off on my TV which is why I no longer have that problem. It could be possible that the issue rears it's head more noticably if you have the OLED panel light pushed up really high. I'm in a dark, light controlled room with ABSL turned off and have zero issues.

Burn in is a concern and it boils down to what you do with your TV. I'm aware of the potential problem and have taken steps to insure it doesn't occur for 5 years or more. I don't watch cable TV and the content I watch is varied. I do have windows explorer on the screen alot but thankfully, white is a color that takes 5x longer to burn in than a color like red. All in all I think it's a great panel and have had no issues with it outside of color inaccuracy which can be fixed with calibration and ABSL which can be turned off in the service menu if you get an app for your phone to turn it off.

When I'm working on CGI with DAZ I enable all of the screen saving technologies in the TV's main menu before sitting down for a long session. No TV is perfect and I'm not trying to tell people what to buy, I was giving suggestions to help OLED owners work around the things that annoy them if possible. Getting into the service menu and disabling features that help protect the screen is a risk and I don't blame others for not doing it, especially if their panel use is more geared toward cable TV or they play the same online multiplayer game for hours every day for years on end.

Last edited by the_sextein : Sep 20, 2020 at 07:20 PM.
the_sextein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2020, 11:50 PM   #422
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Went to the mall and saw the G7 27" in action. Quite liked it and the curve seemed fine. Unfortunately they did not have the 32" in stock. Wondering if I should wait out for a 4K 144 Hz HDR IPS display for next year or go ahead with a 1440P 240 Hz HDR VA display. I think for a screen sitting so close to you 600 nits HDR should be fine. Given the LG OLED is like 750 nits and both TVs do HDR just fine.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2020, 07:57 AM   #423
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Given the LG OLED is like 750 nits and both TVs do HDR just fine.
The OLED's get away with it because of their range in contrast from true blacks, and HDR is more than just how bright it can get. I personally wouldn't get hung up on HDR for a PC monitor. Mine is HDR600, but I pretend like HDR isn't even there. Without the local dimming zones for a true HDR experience, it's all meh anyway. Just another label for marketing to slap on a box, like having no bezels.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
OverclockN' is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 22, 2020, 08:17 AM   #424
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

HDR still seems like a marketing gimmick for a PC monitor. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it doesn't seem like it's really garnered that much traction on PC, compared to consoles.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2020, 08:23 AM   #425
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
HDR still seems like a marketing gimmick for a PC monitor. Maybe I'm wrong here, but it doesn't seem like it's really garnered that much traction on PC, compared to consoles.
Agreed. It's all fluff. Hardly any games use it and it's of no use in Windows itself. I don't know why anyone would use it as a selling point or something they have to have if all the other specs are there.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Sep 22, 2020, 08:25 AM   #426
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I will say that HDR looks fantastic on console games though. Local dimming is pretty much essential for HDR as well, I agree with you there.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2020, 08:32 AM   #427
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Definitely. I liked how HDR looked in Uncharted and a handful of other games on PS4 Pro.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:18 AM   #428
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I have used HDR with OLED and it works just fine on PC games.
Agree with monitor based HDR as being not that good but it seems G7 and some of the LG monitors do it OK. OK as in better than non HDR in some situations.

Either way, I think my bigger issue is color reproduction without having over shoot or chromatic aberration effects and refresh rates over HDR. That is why am inclined to see the next crop of 4K 144 Hz monitors.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:54 AM   #429
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I have used HDR with OLED and it works just fine on PC games.
Nobody said it didn't. I only mentioned there weren't many games that use it.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Sep 22, 2020, 11:49 AM   #430
KAC
That postcount though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Nobody said it didn't. I only mentioned there weren't many games that use it.
Makes sense.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 07:02 PM   #431
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

X900H comes in tomorrow, But still wont get the 120HZ goodness until Sony drops the firmware update for HDMI 2.1.

Edit: So far so good, the X900H is appearing pretty good, Color is better then my KS8500, It isn't as bright as my KS8500. Black levels are better as its not edge lit, not OLED better though, DSE and banding appear minimal. And when Sony drops the HDMI 2.1 update my 3080 and PS5 will be set for 120hz. Hell Costco just dropped an ad starting Sept 30 for $969 with 3 year warranty. I just paid $1095 with only 1 year but that included tax. Cant beat it for the value.

Last edited by Nascar24 : Sep 24, 2020 at 10:21 AM.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2020, 02:36 AM   #432
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yeh obviously HDR on monitor is nothing compared to proper TV support, but I will say it does look noticeably better in several games. Doom eternal looks magnificent with only HDR400, not sure if it's due to the highlights or colour space, but it looks great, much better than SDR and with more detail. Gears 5 is another. RD2 looks like ass, and MSFS20 is about the same.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 07:03 PM   #433
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Dammit all! Dam Sony junk, Found out one of my HDMI 2.1 ports are dead. I need all my ports to work, Talked with Sony and they may just exchange the whole dam TV. Which in itself is a pain. Because Im sure I will have to pack this dam thing back up.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 08:37 PM   #434
KAC
That postcount though...

Welcome to Sony TV sets. I had one as well and hated it.

*Waits for OCN to come and tell us how good his Sony is.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:02 PM   #435
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

I bought it because it had 2 of the 2.1 ports which I need and 1 ends up dead. I have switcher boxes I need to use because I have so much hooked up, no way I can live with any dead ports.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:52 PM   #436
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Welcome to Sony TV sets. I had one as well and hated it.

*Waits for OCN to come and tell us how good his Sony is.

Is that the impression I gave everyone?

Yeah, it's a fine TV. As long as you don't mind the bloom around the edges of stuff and no 120Hz. It's far from perfect, and I recognize it's faults. I don't think I've misled anyone saying it was the best.

I just use it as a reference on an alternative to OLED, along with the excellent Samsung Q80/90's. Buddy of mine has one of those and it's fantastic. I'd sell my Sony for that if I wouldn't lose my ass on it.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Sony Bravia X900F 4K 49"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
LG Ultragear 38GN950-B
Old Yesterday, 12:19 AM   #437
KAC
That postcount though...

Samsung Q80T/Q90T are well recognized better products than Sony X900H series but I can see how the premium would people off from purchasing one.

Also my personal bias is that I hate the Android interface. Again it is personal preference.

I myself have the Q70R and it is awesome with little to no blooming (you have to change one setting) and great blacks for a FALD unit.

Anyways, do tell us Nascar24 how is the blooming on this TV? Did you play any games before returning it?
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM   #438
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

Quote:
Samsung Q80T/Q90T are well recognized better products than Sony X900H series but I can see how the premium would people off from purchasing one.

Also my personal bias is that I hate the Android interface. Again it is personal preference.

I myself have the Q70R and it is awesome with little to no blooming (you have to change one setting) and great blacks for a FALD unit.

Anyways, do tell us Nascar24 how is the blooming on this TV? Did you play any games before returning it?
I will have it until Sony comes out to swap it out, will be waiting for a call from them that is suppose to happen over the next 2 business days. I'm sure I will have this one for probably 2 to 3 weeks while they get the swap out worked out. Blooming is better then my Samsung KS8500 since those were edge lit. It definitely has pretty good black levels. But it is LCD so there will always be some blooming. The problem with the Q80T is the price and only 1 HDMI 2.1 port, Otherwise it looks like a better TV over all, but not for the extra $500 or more they want for it over the X900H. For the money the X900H is definitely the best in its class in this price range and now can be had even lower at only $969 for the 65. Everything about this one was good until I determined the dam port was dead. Now time to play the panel lottery again.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM   #439
KAC
That postcount though...

What about the normal TV operation. You like the colors and stuff? How is HDR?
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #440
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Vizio's new OLED is out. The price is right and bestbuy reviews look good so far, but I couldn't find it on rtings. 2.1 confirmed, 1300 bucks for the 55"

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM   #441
KAC
That postcount though...

Got LG CX for 1362. Now it is going for like 1275 locally. Why buy a Vizio?
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #442
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

Vizio for 2k is to much for a Vizio in my book (65"). They have terrible motion handling. If your going to spend 2k your much better off going with the LG. Same goes for the 55" pay a small amount more for the LG.
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM   #443
Nascar24
Future RTX 3080 Owner

Quote:
What about the normal TV operation. You like the colors and stuff? How is HDR?
Colors are good if you like a Calibrated picture, This is the strong suit of this TV, it has one of the best Pre-Calibrated pictures out of the box, I'm not sure yet, and I can change it, but I think I like the colors too bright like the Samsung gave me out of the box, I can change it to that if I dont want a calibrated picture. HDR looks good even though it isn't as bright as my Samsung. Reflections are definitely worse. Just got an email from Sony to send pictures and proof of purchase, probably just setting up the swap out.
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM   #444
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

edit: Nevermind. It was just a "hey new OLED released" post. I'm not recommending it to anyone.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote