Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 13, 2003, 07:35 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

KingRoLo is still being judged by the masses

Default Would buying a 333 Athlon make my FSB 166?

Ive got an Abit KX333 Raid mobo and have recently purchased some OCZ 333 ram. SO i crack open my BIOS and sure enough my Dram clock is at 166. However it says my System FSB is still only at 133 and i cant seem to change it.

MY question is, if i was to purchase one of those new 333 Athlons, would my 'System' FSB then automatically increase to 166?

Or have i got the whole 133/166 thing wrong??

Cheers

RoLo
Old Apr 13, 2003, 07:42 AM   #2
mAcOdIn
Radeon Evergreen

mAcOdIn is still being judged by the masses

If you're motherboard supports the 166 FSB then yes.

To run a 166mhz FSB you have to meet three criteria.

166mhz FSB capable motherboard

166mhz FSB capable processor

166mhz FSB cabaple Ram.

But alot of the kt333 mobo's don't support a true 166mhz fsb, you'll have to check.
mAcOdIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 07:59 AM   #3
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

When you say "alot of the kt333 mobo's don't support a true 166mhz fsb", this makes me concerned. In the manual, Abit boast that its a 333 motheroard and it even says in the manual that the KX7333 uses the Via KT333 and VT8233A chipset for up to 2700 speed of Ram, "increasing system buses from 100 to 166".

So i thought great so it can do a system FSB of 166.

But then i read further down the page and it says that the key functions of the KT333 system controller include the 266 Athlon system bus, the 333 DDR memory subsystem and the 4x AGP interface.

So 2 b honest im still ver confused as to whether i can achieve a system 166 FSB while maintaining the 266 Athlon system bus.

RoLo
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:17 AM   #4
mAcOdIn
Radeon Evergreen

You should be wary.

To be honest I don't have an answer for ya.

First take a stock kt333 chipset. Almost all of them can reach a 166mhz fsb if you were to overclock, just like almost all kt400 mobo's can. So right off the bat you'd think it could do it.

But not all of them can without voltage mods, or crap like that, so first of all not all the boards even follow spec.

Second after the kt333 came out the TBred core came out from AMD. This prompted alot of new revision for most motherboards, so kt333 boards released before the TBred core might not even be able to run a TBred, which of course means it couldn't even touch a barton or a 166 Tbred.

And to further confuse matters, motherboard makers don't clarify what revision you need to have to run a processor.

For example I had an Abit AT7 Max kt333 board. This board came out right before the TB core athlon XP's. Eventually Abit released a bios update that was supposed to allow the AT7 Max to run the newer athlons. But they left out the part where you needed a newer revision of the AT7 Max to actually get it to run, and to get that you had to RMA the motherboard.

I can't answer if yours will work or not. I'd look on the motherboard and see what revision it is, and check the vendors site to see if they have an email and give them all your info and ask them whats up.

But officially most KT333 boards do not have 166mhz FSB capability.

You also might try asking in the http://www.abit-usa.com forums and see if any users over there are running a setup like that.

Last edited by mAcOdIn : Apr 13, 2003 at 08:25 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:33 AM   #5
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

wow i didnt know i might actually need the a newer motherboard revision as well, but your right about the BIOS update which 'supposidly' allows Tbred cores to be used, i just checked mine here:

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs..._NAME=KX7-333R

What a FARSE!

cheers

RoLo
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:47 AM   #6
Wolf
The Man Who Wouldnt Be

Wolf is still being judged by the masses

its not really a farse, the 333 ram came out before the 333 cpus, they made lots of boards that supported running the ram faster
it wasnt to scam you or anything...they did the same thing when 133mhz ram came out.
its just the way the releases worked out.
Wolf
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:48 AM   #7
mAcOdIn
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally posted by KingRoLo
wow i didnt know i might actually need the a newer motherboard revision as well, but your right about the BIOS update which 'supposidly' allows Tbred cores to be used, i just checked mine here:

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs..._NAME=KX7-333R

What a FARSE!

cheers

RoLo
It may actually work for you. Like I said I had a AT7 Max, yours is different. The main point I'm trying to get across though is you cant trust what they say on the site(which is sad). Your gonna have to find out from real people if there was a silent board revision, and if your mobo can really handle the new cores. The kt333 chipset itself is capable, wether Abit cut corners or had a bug, is the real question, you'll have to find out.

I really hate that side of the PC industry. Already the NF7-S mobo(what I have now) is on it's 4th revision. 4th and it's been out for like a couple of months! 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0 yeah 4 revisions. And they never really bring it up because if a user never finds out he has a faulty board, he won't RMA it, which saves them money. So you might think your boards fine then a year down the road wanna do something that is supposedly in spec of the board and you can't. Of course by then any kind of warranty you may have had has ended so your screwed.

I'd really try thier forums though they got alot of users there. If anyone's running a new 166mhz Athlon in a KX7-333 it'll be one of those guys. But you can't trust the web site.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 08:57 AM   #8
mAcOdIn
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolf
its not really a farse, the 333 ram came out before the 333 cpus, they made lots of boards that supported running the ram faster
it wasnt to scam you or anything...they did the same thing when 133mhz ram came out.
its just the way the releases worked out.
Wolf
No the farse part is when Abit said the bios update alone is all you needed to run a TB core Athlon XP, when in reality thier were some of the only boards incapable of running the TB core XP's.

If you look in the ABIT AT7 Max bios section you'll see there's a bios that specifically adds support for the new core, what it doesn't say is that the board, if a version 1 board, has to be sent into Abit to be modified to actually be able to run a TB core XP.

Thats the farse.

More info on the AT7-Max, and a do it yourself mod you could do:
http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=14&fcid=16

Last edited by mAcOdIn : Apr 13, 2003 at 09:00 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:01 AM   #9
Wolf
The Man Who Wouldnt Be

I do agree that a problem that requires new revisions should mean a recall of ALL boards of that make and model, just like it would if it was a car with a flaw.
I'm just saying natively alot of boards came out that dont spport 333bus and if you expect them to even with a bios update, your kidding yourself as bios updates are after market modifcations whether by the company or not and are used at your own risk.
Wolf
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:13 AM   #10
mAcOdIn
Radeon Evergreen

No I agree there. I don't expect them to support a product forever, nor could it be done if they wanted too.

I'm just saying the answer for him will be hard to find, because of how Abit handles revisions, it's a kt333 chipset which should be able to run one, but never officially got the 333mhz moniker.

it's just a hard question thats all.

Kinda like my N-force2 that I have now. Nvidia just released a new stepping of the chipset that officially adds 400mhz fsb support. 95% of NF-2 boards can do this anyways though, so a year from now when I get my 200mhz Barton I *should* be able to run it, but there's no telling.

It's just confusing how they do it.

As much as I think Asus is they same way, if you check out thier A7n8X bios page they acknowledge the different revisions right thier so a user has some way of knowing if something may be up.

Abit's just sneaky. Don't know why I keep buying 'em lol.

KingRolo Not looking good though bud. I've seen one guy claiming to run a 166mhz proc on his board but he had to up the voltage to get there.

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/faq/qa/2002/2002112801.htm
Old Apr 13, 2003, 09:15 AM   #11
Wolf
The Man Who Wouldnt Be

I wasnt aware that Abit did this, maybe its not an intentional thing?
I'm an Abit fan too they're boards are awesome, I have an Asus right now but only because I got it EXTREMELY cheap, or I would likely have the abit version, and if someone wanted to trade for an equiv abit I'd be all over it.
so its a headsup for me too thanx
Wolf
Old Apr 13, 2003, 02:03 PM   #12
Johnny Chimpo
Rage3D Veteran

Johnny Chimpo is still being judged by the masses

Via has a chip, the kt333cf, that supports a 333fsb.
The soyo kt333 DRAGON plus supports a 333fsb.
I've read the only real diff between the kt400 and kt333cf is no 8x agp on the kt333cf
Sapphire Vapor-x HD 4890
Johnny Chimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2003, 02:12 PM   #13
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete strangerCrawdaddy79 once held a door open for a complete stranger

My motherboard is a KT333 chipset, and the FSB goes all the way up to 200!

But on the site, it says I can't put a Barton 3000+ in it, because it's not an Ultra 2.. It's just an Ultra... (?)
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote