Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Console King Moog or Pro-forged or ???

Just looking for opinions before ordering some tie rods for the RSX. I have to overhaul the steering system on my car, it's started to have some real issues, with the rack binding, loss of power assist at times, and the tie rods are factory looking, no play yet but the boots are starting to crumble.

So onto the difficult question stuff...

I've had some really bad luck with Moog problem solver bits in the past, but I have had some really good experiences with them too. Most recent experience was with an outer tie rod end, the slot in the 'gusher' bearing wasn't lined up with the zerk hole, so there was no greasing it. One was good, one was not, and I went through 6 or 7 new in box units until I found one that was properly assembled. So a 70% fail rate right out of the box.

I have had good results with MAS parts, except for a pair of sway bar links, that fell apart within a year. I bought all of them through RockAuto, but they don't carry anything MAS anynore. So either they just had pallets of product to unload, or they were horrible and I got lucky. The parts looked an awful lot like the Pro-Forged ones but were sealed for life. Mostly made in Taiwan and so I suspect they might have come from the same factory.

Pro-forged is all Taiwan, non of that assembled in the US using foreign materials rubbish... lifetime warranty, same price as Moog PS, but the parts look far more skookum. Like the inner tie rod ends for my RSX, the PF looks stouter, and it appears to be the double adjustable type.

Does anyone have any experience with Pro-forged parts?

Seems like Moog has kinda gone to garbage lately, lots of internet horror stories about the metal used being low quality and breaking, boots falling apart and low quality machining.

I don't know where to go or who to use anymore... lol

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Aug 14, 2019 at 10:52 AM.
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:01 AM   #2
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I pulled Moog end links from my ZO6 when I bought it a few years ago. They were rusty with boots that were falling apart. This was on a car with 47k miles, never saw snow/salt, and driven lightly. And they replaced OEM end links, so they couldn't have been on the car very long at all.

The only place Moog parts belong is a trash bin, as far as I'm concerned. No experience with the other company you mentioned or the car in general.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

You could go OEM but you are going to pay a lot more.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:26 PM   #4
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I think I'll scrub the Moog option.

Yeah, and up here Honda/Acura charge wild moneys for their bits.

Car has 300,000KM. It's not worth putting OEM on it, since I don't think it's got another 17 years in it. LoL

I've been looking for other options but most everything seems to be reboxes of cheap parts with bigger price tags.

Heatware
Old Aug 14, 2019, 04:22 PM   #5
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

TRW is my recommendation, if they have it...

It was a while back, but I put TRW tie rods on my 92 Corolla and they were spotless 80,000KM later when I sold it...

However, look into OEM also as sometimes, the prices are OK.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 08:41 AM   #6
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

What happened to the Swift?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2019, 05:03 PM   #7
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterGoa View Post
TRW is my recommendation, if they have it...

It was a while back, but I put TRW tie rods on my 92 Corolla and they were spotless 80,000KM later when I sold it...

However, look into OEM also as sometimes, the prices are OK.
I should look and see if there's any TRW available. They used to be 555 parts in the boxes. So basically the Japanese OEM bits.

Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to look around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
What happened to the Swift?
Bad things happened when I was out running some chubby midlife crisis domestic, apparently 25lbs of boost was enough to pull the engine mount captive nut through 2 or 3 layers of metal. It was a bit awkward to shift after that.

So it's down while I get better with a welder. The other Swift is boring NA, and it's needing me to actually finish tuning it. But it's more funny than fast, big lumpy cam, high compression, and maybe 65HP. I want to Dyno it just for giggles. Running E85 was too expensive, so it's less extreme than it's previous build.

So umm project car?

The RSX is the fat boring commuter. The wife's Subie is actually more exciting to drive.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Aug 15, 2019 at 05:09 PM.