Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 16, 2004, 06:18 AM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Smart1
Self ******

Smart1 is still being judged by the masses

well, i've stopped playing and am awaiting a patch. thk god I don't have xbox
Old Jun 16, 2004, 08:54 AM   #242
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 09:32 AM   #243
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

that cracked me up for some time this morning
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 16, 2004, 11:44 AM   #244
The Red Eye
Radeon R200

The Red Eye is still being judged by the masses

I've seen some fun things happen, but i don't complain. This game rules! **** the ****ed up shadows, I don't care!
I caused a major fight between (SPOILER!!) Enforcers, City guards and Hammerites, in the end they all thought it was me who did all the killing ^^

"Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my mind the most."
The Red Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2004, 03:38 PM   #245
Smart1
Self ******

Smart1 is still being judged by the masses

now im really pissed and i want this damn patch
Old Jun 16, 2004, 08:40 PM   #246
optimummind
Radeon R420

optimummind is still being judged by the masses

I have the full retail game and this game is so fun. I think it's better than Splinter Cell too.

Just the atmosphere of the city and the locales feels...so right.

The voice acting is good and so are the cutscenes. Unique type of art direction.

I haven't gotten to the Cradle level yet that everyone is talking about but I'm looking forward to it.
=Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected]
=eVGA 8800GT [email protected]/1728/2000
=2x1GB DDR2-800, G.Skill
=NEC ND-3520A 16x DVD+/-R/RW DL
=Creative Audigy 2 ZS
=Antec NeoPower 480W
optimummind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 07:42 AM   #247
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Poor taste in games.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:32 PM   #248
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

TimothyB is still being judged by the masses

Check out my 8 1600*1200 screenshots and 10 more shrunk to 800*600 in the screenshots thread. Taken on an X800 Pro in the demo. I'm going to have to get this game. I can understand that comic above, lol.

http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.p...&pagenumber=32

EDIT, here they are instead of following that link:

Also, how does my performance look. It never really dropped below 28 except in a few odd places where it looked like it shouldn't. So overall it played smooth through the whole demo.

Taken at 1600*1200 NoAA 8xAF on an X800 Pro (540/570) (cats 4.6)
Game: Maxed everything

I shrunk these into 800*600 from the 1600*1200 to fit more:

Thermalright slk-800-u heatsink
Antec True 430watt
Leadtek 6800 128mb at 400/850
Compro Videomate TV/FM Gold Plus
Maxtor IDE pci card, Audigy 1
HDs WD, 3x80gig, 60gig, 30gig
http://www.toonguru.com/

Last edited by TimothyB : Jun 17, 2004 at 10:54 PM.
TimothyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 08:15 AM   #249
Radeonaries
Radeon R100

Radeonaries is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

i love this game!!,....anyone else gettin some whacked shadow rendering?.....other than that it runs silky smooth!!,.........
ati built radeon 9800pro
creative audigy 24-bit EAXHD
40GB seagate barracuda
Radeonaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 08:20 AM   #250
Frazas
Radeon R520

Frazas is still being judged by the masses

Use Cat's 4.4
Frazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 05:26 PM   #251
Judas
addicted to WoW :(

Judas is still being judged by the masses

The first patch is out. Get it here:

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/thief3/

or here:

http://support.eidosinteractive.com/...problemType=13

I'm quoting the release notes:

Thief: Deadly Shadows - Patch v1.1

1.1 Items Fixed

1. Difficulty Settings not working properly with the Save/Load system. This
patch fixes the problem the player has with the game resetting the difficulty
from Expert or Hard to Normal, or from Easy to Normal, when the game is
re-loaded in-mission or if the player transitions more than once in any
mission.

The patch is self extracting; simply download the patch to your desktop and
unzip it using Winzip. Double-click the file Thief Deadly Shadows Patch.exe to
install.

1.2 Known Issues

1. If the user has manually edited any of the configuration (.ini) files in
the Thiefeadly Shadows directory we strongly recommend that the user
uninstall and reinstall the retail version of the game, and then apply the
patch. Failure to do so will likely result in the patch being unable to install
correctly.

2. Pre-patched saved games should be 100% compatible with version 1.1

3. If the user chooses to restart a mission after loading a save game, the
user must select the appropriate level of difficulty from the Difficulty menu.

4. The game's version number changes from v1.0 to v1.1.

If you have any difficulty with installing the patch or with Thief: Deadly
Shadows after applying the patch, please contact customer support through the
link below:

http://www.eidos.com/

Athlon64 3000+
(Winchester) @ 240*9 = 2160 MHz Asus AN8-SLI Kingston DDR400 Asus V9999 Ultra Deluxe 435/1200 Forceware 77.13 WD2000JD LG L1750H Thermaltake 680W PSU Windows XP SP2

MSH - Jasef's band - Second demo is out, you should pay for the shipping & material costs and get the demo. I know I did.
Judas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 04:38 AM   #252
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I was reading the reader reviews of this game at Gamespot, and I came upon this little gem of a review. This review made me laugh. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/th...tml?id=1672228

If he knew about what the original games were like, what made him think that this game wouldn't be another heavy stealth game? He gave this game a bad review because other games had bad implentation of stealth . Why did he even buy this game in the first place? Heck, even the box had a quote from game pro- "More freedom than any other stealth game ."

Well anyways, I thought I would share a laughable review with everyone.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 04:55 AM   #253
TimothyB
Radeon Sea Islands

TimothyB is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by STS9
I was reading the reader reviews of this game at Gamespot, and I came upon this little gem of a review. This review made me laugh. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/th...tml?id=1672228

If he knew about what the original games were like, what made him think that this game wouldn't be another heavy stealth game? He gave this game a bad review because other games had bad implentation of stealth . Why did he even buy this game in the first place? Heck, even the box had a quote from game pro- "More freedom than any other stealth game ."

I think that review should be removed for being a so biased. If you hate something, you don't buy in it then say you hate as if it you didn't know. And if he can't see passed his own hate and see how others that like that type of game would like it to give a correct opinion of the quality of the game, he's an idiot.
Thermalright slk-800-u heatsink
Antec True 430watt
Leadtek 6800 128mb at 400/850
Compro Videomate TV/FM Gold Plus
Maxtor IDE pci card, Audigy 1
HDs WD, 3x80gig, 60gig, 30gig
http://www.toonguru.com/
TimothyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 08:27 AM   #254
Radeonaries
Radeon R100

Radeonaries is still being judged by the masses

what the hell was that guy even talkin about ,.."deus ex is a perfect example.."...yeah it is,...a perfect example of crap!!,......and he portrays a perfect example of a moron

hell thief III is about the only thing keeping me content for a month or so just in time for the games that ive been waiting quite a few years for
ati built radeon 9800pro
creative audigy 24-bit EAXHD
40GB seagate barracuda

Last edited by Radeonaries : Jun 19, 2004 at 08:30 AM.
Radeonaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 09:25 AM   #255
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I think he meant Deus Ex 1. In that game you could complete the game in many ways with stealth being one of them. The player wasn't forced to use stealth at all in that game.

I understand his complaint to a point. There have been games that have came out where they forced you to be stealthy in certain levels, it ended up being more frustrating then fun. These games usually didn't have a good stealth system and were only a small part of the game.

But what is laughable about his review is that he should have known that this game is a FPS(tealth) and not a FPS(hooter). Its almost like he expected the game to be just another shooter, where stealth was optional, which would get rid of the whole point of Thief and would ruin a great series.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 10:45 AM   #256
epsilon
Radeon R300

epsilon is still being judged by the masses

Just started this game yesterday... i am up to the part with the docks and the abysmal ship. The ship is so eery :P. I just figured out that the flash bombs kill the undead heheheh. This game is awesome, running at 10x7, 16af, multisample 2, looks awesome! The game has a great atmosphere, i wind up playing it for many hours without noticing time pass by. Cant wait to get farther and do expert mode.

A64 Winchester 3200+ (O/Ced) Idle 31c Load 38c
36.7gb 10k Western Digital Sata drive
(2) 120gb Seagate (gonna Raid-0)
Asus A8v Dlx
(2)Corsair XMS XL 512 @ D/C
Augidy 2 Plat ZS
Sapphire 9800 pro
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 09:54 AM   #257
Zephyr
Radeon R300

Zephyr is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: thief 3 - deadly shadow

Some people on the Eidos Thief forums got it working on win98

forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41019
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2004, 10:04 AM   #258
jws
Rage3D Veteran

jws is still being judged by the masses

fyi gogamer.com 48hr madness sale has Thief3 on sale for $28..
3000+ barton / Abit NF7-S 1.2 / 2x512 Corsair DDR3200 / ATI Radeon 9700pro / Catalyst 6.2 / DX9.0c / TurboLink 420W PSU / Maxtor 120gig Z01P120 HD / Verbatim (NEC ND-3540a) DVD+-RW/R writer / Verbatim 40/12/48 CDRW / Initio SCSI controller / Samsung 955df / Windows XP Pro w/SP2 / Bytecc ME320U2 external USB2 enclosure with Maxtor 120gig HD

~~~
Multitasking - screwing up several things at once.
jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:14 AM   #259
gnu_mutant
Radeon R300

gnu_mutant is still being judged by the masses

This game is great. My only issue with it is the funky lighting. I will go back to the 4.4 Cats tonight.

Not sure about the 'bloom incompatible with AA' comments. I am using both and it plays fine. I am running it a 10*7 2xAA 8xAF with all the in-game video options (there aren't many) maxed out. The Cats are set to highest quality (with the exception of the AA and AF levels).

I was a big fan of the original. This game is better in every way. I also think the graphics are among the best in any game right now.

Maybe I should run FRAPS or something, but this game plays as smooth as butter on my machine. I even think it would play very well on my secondary rig. This game is hardly as demanding as people are making it out to be.

Desktop 2: AthlonXP 2500+ (@3200+), Asus A7V600, 1x512MB of Kingmax PC3200, Asus V9480SE, Samsung 80gb HD, Win2K SP4

Laptop 1: Toshiba Portege R100 Centrino: P-M 900 ULV, Intel 802.11B, Trident CyberBlade XP4-32 32 mb, 768mb DDR RAM, 2.4lbs, 7hr battery life.
gnu_mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:38 AM   #260
systems
Radeon Northern Islands

systems is still being judged by the masses

Gamepad Re: thief 3 - deadly shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu_mutant
I was a big fan of the original. This game is better in every way. I also think the graphics are among the best in any game right now.
Better in every way? Graphics among the best? Come off it!

Look at everything in Thief 3 - absolutely everything is boxy and angular. The characters and objects have hardly any polygons and the textures are washed out and weak. This is why everyone is switching to the high res texures add-on. It's obviously that the limitations of the X-box have been imposed on this game.

The Havok physics engine is messed up too. People fall in the most stupid positions and it doesn't feel right. And why the daft neon blue glow on everything you highlight?

It's all so... "boxey". I don't know how else to say it. I love it though and aren't getting at you - but don't say it looks great because it doesn't. It looks "OK for an X-box on a TV".
systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:54 PM   #261
gnu_mutant
Radeon R300

gnu_mutant is still being judged by the masses

I wonder if we are playing the same game. Seriously. The characters have detailed textures and lots of bump mapping - as do the environments. The lighting is great, not as diffuse as SC - but better than most games.

As for washed our textures, what is a emerging industrial fictional civilization supposed to look like. Send us pictures from your next tour.

There is more to Havok than the rag doll effect.

Desktop 2: AthlonXP 2500+ (@3200+), Asus A7V600, 1x512MB of Kingmax PC3200, Asus V9480SE, Samsung 80gb HD, Win2K SP4

Laptop 1: Toshiba Portege R100 Centrino: P-M 900 ULV, Intel 802.11B, Trident CyberBlade XP4-32 32 mb, 768mb DDR RAM, 2.4lbs, 7hr battery life.
gnu_mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 04:05 AM   #262
systems
Radeon Northern Islands

systems is still being judged by the masses

Headphones Re: thief 3 - deadly shadow

Yes, there is more to Havok when done properly. But it isn't in Thief 3. And you have to admit that the people do fall over in funny positions. The textures aren't very detailed - they look to me about the same as in Morrowind and that must be 2 years old now.

Thief's not about the visuals though, it's the atmosphere. And it does have really great atmosphere and audio effects (I bought an Audigy 2 ZS just for this game and the EAX 4 HD effects). You really know when you're in a high-ceilinged room now when all the lights are out...

But still, I play it every day and can't get enough (I try not to backjack anyone if possible, to keep the levels well populated). I miss the rope arrows though.
systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 04:09 AM   #263
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Just started playing this game.. looks good thus far but the performance isnt as good as I wouldve liked so I am playing on 1024 w/ 4xAA and 8xAF.. bloom looks cool and all but I cant stand jaggies!
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 03:45 PM   #264
Ender666666
Radeon R420

Ender666666 is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Resolution

Anyone know if the shadows are fixed in Cat 4.7?
Radeon 9800 NP (R350, Samsung 8E-GC33) @ 479.25 Core/418.5 Mem
Windows XP Pro SP2 on 2x 74 GB Western Digital Raptors in Raid 0
3DMark01se: 21054
3DMark03: 7134
AquaMark3: 50910
PCMark04: 4666
Due to lack of funding, The light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off.
Ender666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 07:29 PM   #265
MoRTiZ
Hibernating

MoRTiZ is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender666666
Anyone know if the shadows are fixed in Cat 4.7?
No, it'll be fixed in 4.8 as it's only recently reported by Zardon over at Driverheaven.
Liteon 16x Dvdrom/52x CDR | Pioneer 107D 8x DVDR
Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers | Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech MX500 Mouse | Logitech Keyboard Elite
MoRTiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 08:09 PM   #266
Ender666666
Radeon R420

Ender666666 is still being judged by the masses

OK cool
Radeon 9800 NP (R350, Samsung 8E-GC33) @ 479.25 Core/418.5 Mem
Windows XP Pro SP2 on 2x 74 GB Western Digital Raptors in Raid 0
3DMark01se: 21054
3DMark03: 7134
AquaMark3: 50910
PCMark04: 4666
Due to lack of funding, The light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off.
Ender666666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 06:51 AM   #267
Nevermind
Rage3D Veteran

Nevermind is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRTiZ
No, it'll be fixed in 4.8 as it's only recently reported by Zardon over at Driverheaven.
I will probably have finished the game by then. Thanks alot ATI.

Cheers Nevermind
Nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 01:13 PM   #268
cheetahl
Rage3D Veteran

cheetahl is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST:DS9

Most of the reader reviews on gspot are from fanboys who never played the game. Sometimes I see crap reader reviews for games that aren't even out yet. You can't take those seriously.
cheetahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:06 PM   #269
Lotto
Certified Crunk

Lotto is still being judged by the masses

Well, I bought Thief 3 a few days ago and man this game is cool. Never played 1 or 2 but I can tell I have been missing out. This is a game I will defanitely try to finish and was worth the money spent. Game runs silky smooth on my PC as well.
Lotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:18 AM   #270
MoRTiZ
Hibernating

MoRTiZ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto
Well, I bought Thief 3 a few days ago and man this game is cool. Never played 1 or 2 but I can tell I have been missing out. This is a game I will defanitely try to finish and was worth the money spent. Game runs silky smooth on my PC as well.
Yup, its definitely an awesome game!
I've missed out on the first few series too and I'm just happy i decided to try Thief 3 out as I almost overlooked it for some other crappy games.
Liteon 16x Dvdrom/52x CDR | Pioneer 107D 8x DVDR
Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers | Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech MX500 Mouse | Logitech Keyboard Elite
MoRTiZ is offline   Reply With Quote