Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 28, 2004, 09:48 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
vitocorleone
Radeon Arctic Islands

vitocorleone is still being judged by the masses

Too bad I ordered the game before I knew the problem with Cat 4.5. See, I don't really have the choice to use Cat 4.4, so I have to wait until the next set of drivers come out to play it, apparently (I'm still going to give it a try).

Bloom and FSAA are incompatible. So choose cool lighting effects + jaggies, or nice lighting effects + no jaggies.

EDIT: Game should be delivered today - will let you know how it goes.

Last edited by vitocorleone : May 28, 2004 at 11:54 AM.
vitocorleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 10:44 AM   #32
Skinner
tweaking for life.

Skinner is still being judged by the masses

Whats the framerate with an X800 Pro?
Old May 28, 2004, 11:41 AM   #33
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Ooooohhhh, this game looks like it rocks the casba!!! No little snide asides by garret before each mission? That sucks. I'll have to deal I guess
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 28, 2004, 12:01 PM   #34
systems
Radeon Northern Islands

systems is still being judged by the masses

The demo is out right now, which will have to do for me as they UK gets it next month.

Last edited by systems : Jun 1, 2004 at 04:35 AM.
systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 12:02 PM   #35
Sideshow
Radeon R300

Sideshow is still being judged by the masses

Demo is up http://www.eidos.co.uk/downloads/demo.html, seems to be down atm though.
Sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 02:29 PM   #36
TB303
Radeon R420

TB303 is still being judged by the masses

Yeah, I too have SB LIve and can't use EAX?

Help would be appericiated.
TB303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 02:33 PM   #37
jws
Rage3D Veteran

jws is still being judged by the masses

I've been scouring the net and gathering links as the demo gets propogated.. here's the thread:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33761250
3000+ barton / Abit NF7-S 1.2 / 2x512 Corsair DDR3200 / ATI Radeon 9700pro / Catalyst 6.2 / DX9.0c / TurboLink 420W PSU / Maxtor 120gig Z01P120 HD / Verbatim (NEC ND-3540a) DVD+-RW/R writer / Verbatim 40/12/48 CDRW / Initio SCSI controller / Samsung 955df / Windows XP Pro w/SP2 / Bytecc ME320U2 external USB2 enclosure with Maxtor 120gig HD

~~~
Multitasking - screwing up several things at once.
jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 02:36 PM   #38
jws
Rage3D Veteran

jws is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by TB303
Yeah, I too have SB LIve and can't use EAX?

Help would be appericiated.
This is a load of crap (from UnstoppableX):

http://forums.ionstorm.com/index.php?showtopic=210541

Quote:
QUOTE (SquirrelKing @ May 26 2004, 09:27 PM)
Does anybody know if the game supports EAX for Nforce2 Soundstorm? I'm having no luck enabling it, which saddens me greatly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EAX is only supported on Creative® Audigy 1 and Audigy 2 sound cards.

If you have a motherboard audio controller, we recommend that you not enable Hardware Mixing (or any EAX options) as doing so may result in audio abnormalities. We only recommend Hardware Mixing and EAX for computers with compatible add-in audio cards.

From the readme quoted for ya. Got me a audigy 1 on ebay for 37$ you might want to check there.
3000+ barton / Abit NF7-S 1.2 / 2x512 Corsair DDR3200 / ATI Radeon 9700pro / Catalyst 6.2 / DX9.0c / TurboLink 420W PSU / Maxtor 120gig Z01P120 HD / Verbatim (NEC ND-3540a) DVD+-RW/R writer / Verbatim 40/12/48 CDRW / Initio SCSI controller / Samsung 955df / Windows XP Pro w/SP2 / Bytecc ME320U2 external USB2 enclosure with Maxtor 120gig HD

~~~
Multitasking - screwing up several things at once.

Last edited by jws : May 28, 2004 at 02:43 PM.
jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 03:04 PM   #39
Chiggs
Radeon R300

Chiggs is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuku2
I just wish the game ran better than it does. I am using a Radeon 9700 Pro, my computer stuff (no slouch) is in my sig which you might have turned off in your options.

I haven't played the game yet, just part of the training mission so I can't comment on the gameplay.

I'm not using bloom effects.

The brightness of my screenshots make the game look worse though, it does look ok when I'm playing.

Keep in mind, in Thief 3, the way the character moves may actually trick you into thinking you've got framerate problems - especially in first person (since there's a delay between hitting "w" on the keyboard and the character actually moving). There's many .ini editing tricks you can do to eliminate this problem (head bobbing, camera pitching, vibration effect, mouse lag, etc).

Read this thread for more details (it helped me!):

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83310

Last edited by Chiggs : May 28, 2004 at 03:06 PM.
Chiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 04:51 PM   #40
Guns4Hire
Whoring, Since 1970

Guns4Hire is still being judged by the masses

BY THE WAY: Do not use the Catalyst 4.5 drivers with this game. Downgrade to 4.4. Otherwise all the lighting effects and shadows are messed up. Can't fully blame IS for that though ... Thief 3 was finished before Cat 4.5 was available! Don't know if you can blame ATI either, as Cat 4.5 was done before Thief 3 was available! It does suck, but at least there's a solution.

---

Im using Cat 4.5 and I have no problems with the game. All eye candy turned up and running at 1280x1024 getting about 60fps. Thats with bloom on going to try turning it off and see what I get. Thats also with Vsync off as well. I had bloom on with AA on and I hear your not supposed to do that. So Ill try messing with the diff settings to see what I can get.
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra D - Athlon64 FX-60 @ 3.0GHz
Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX
2GB OCZ EL DDR PC-5000 (625MHz) Platinum
XFX Radeon 512MB HD4850 PCI-E
Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-Fi
Medusa 5.1 SS Headphones W/ Amp
74GB Western Digital Sata 10K Raptor
250GB Maxtor Sata 7K DiamondMax Plus 16MB Cache
LiteOn 16X Dual Layer DVDRW LH-20A1S
Microsoft Windows XP Pro - SP3
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 08:29 PM   #41
Neva
Same trite title: Bånned

Neva is still being judged by the masses

So far im enjoying this game, came to post since it CTD again . First of all it definatly feels like a thief game, even revisiting the hammer's church from the second game, that or it just looks alot like it. The only real few annoyences are the AI really is not better than the first two games, and im playing on the hardest difficulty on the missions too. Next the animations, like deus ex:IW, are pretty miserable. Finally having to zone between zones in levels just gets kinda annoying, especially since the loading screens do take a bit of time. All in all its good so far...
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 08:39 PM   #42
Mike89
Radeon R700

Location: United States California, where there's so much liberal BS in the air, it's hard to breathe sometimes.
Mike89 is still being judged by the masses

Played the demo. This game is junk.

Runs just like DX2 does. Same engine, same makers, same thing.

No one wonder a bunch of people got fired over this game and DX2. Someone there needs to learn how to code games properly. And get rid of the Unreal engine. I just don't care for it compared to other engines.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 09:07 PM   #43
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sMashPiranha is still being judged by the masses

Just my thoughts on all the people moaning 'thief 3 sucks!!!1'. I wonder how many of these people have even been using PC's long enough to have even played Thief 2. Hell I bet most of these people haven't even played the demo.
Quote:
sMashPiranha: haha, you probably just couldn't find the shadows
HI EVERY BODY: didnt need to i got to a locked door that looked like a cardboad box and said man this game is ****
This is what I'm talking about (this guy was talking about Thief 2 btw).
sMashPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 10:16 PM   #44
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiggs
Keep in mind, in Thief 3, the way the character moves may actually trick you into thinking you've got framerate problems - especially in first person (since there's a delay between hitting "w" on the keyboard and the character actually moving). There's many .ini editing tricks you can do to eliminate this problem (head bobbing, camera pitching, vibration effect, mouse lag, etc).

Read this thread for more details (it helped me!):

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83310
I was using Fraps so it told me the frames per second.

I reverted to the 4.4 Cats even though I never noticed any shadow problems. I am using no AA but 8x AF with full detail and Bloom on and I get 20-40 fps. It's very playable and the game does have good atmosphere. The graphics are good enough and the gameplay seems to be pretty good. Not a bad game so far even though I just completed just the training mission.
Old May 29, 2004, 12:18 AM   #45
Neva
Same trite title: Bånned

Neva is still being judged by the masses

I just beat the 3rd level and I must say I like how its making the game more open ended, giving you optional quests and such. Hopefully it continues that way. I really wish money was worth somthing, hopefully it will be later on too.

Also, anyone else like me on stealth games where you just dont want to kill or knockout plp if there is another way around. So far ive only killed 1 person(which you have to do to finish a quest) and knocked out mabey 10, just to mug them though.. =D
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 12:25 AM   #46
skizatch
Radeon R100

skizatch is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Neva
I just beat the 3rd level and I must say I like how its making the game more open ended, giving you optional quests and such. Hopefully it continues that way. I really wish money was worth somthing, hopefully it will be later on too.

Also, anyone else like me on stealth games where you just dont want to kill or knockout plp if there is another way around. So far ive only killed 1 person(which you have to do to finish a quest) and knocked out mabey 10, just to mug them though.. =D
I've been instinctively playing like that myself ... no knockouts if possible. Sometimes I'll be going about the City and get spotted, and I'll get impatient and try to kill everyone. Then I reprimand myself and reload I've barely blackjacked anyone in the whole game. I even sneaked past Lady Elizabeth and her thugs.

By the way, truly "ghosting" a level is called "Lytha style." There are some extra requirements as well, liking making sure you close all the treasure chests and put back any keys you used. That way it's like you were never even there ... Check out the TTLG forums for more info if you haven't (http://www.ttlg.com/forums). It's a crazy challenge, one I haven't attempted myself ... some people try to play without saving or loading too
skizatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 06:59 AM   #47
Frazas
Radeon R520

Frazas is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by sMashPiranha
Just my thoughts on all the people moaning 'thief 3 sucks!!!1'. I wonder how many of these people have even been using PC's long enough to have even played Thief 2. Hell I bet most of these people haven't even played the demo.

This is what I'm talking about (this guy was talking about Thief 2 btw).
I am not saying anything specific until I play the game but from what I've seen until now I am very afraid for a game that I've been wayting for so long.

And by the way, I've been playing computer games since the ZX Spectrum 48K. Does that qualify me for judging this particular game?...
Frazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 10:24 AM   #48
ArturNOW
GeForce 6600GT

ArturNOW is still being judged by the masses

EAX problem? Just read the readme file, there's the answer :-)
ArturNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 12:56 PM   #49
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

I just ran the tutorial of the demo, and I have to say, it runs like an arse (2400+/9700Pro/Omega4.4)... Need to tune it a bit maybe.
Anyway, here's my very quick impressions after playing just the tutorial (in other words, not very indepth):

Graphics:
The lighting and shadowing is quite nice, but its really sloooooooow... Textures are definetly subpar. Yes yes I know, people say "but theif games where always like this", but its no excuse for following the line of crappy graphics. Its Xbox graphics to the bone. I really hope a texture pack comes... That was the only thing making me able to crawl through DXIW. It will probably be the only thing making me crawl through T3. Polycounts and detail may not matter, but I think that textures do. Other things, like animation jittering, is REALLY annoying and should have kept the game from going gold. Seriously, that is nothing you leave in a final product. And it appear to be a global animation problem, even the bow jitters when you zoom.

Gameplay:
I love the body awareness thingie. And I absolutely adore the lockpick system (really needed in a game like this, heh). Sneaking is great... Actually I would say everything is great, except one thing: The bow. ARGH!!! I cannot even describe the feeling I got when I fired my first water arrow. Compared to Thief II (it was too long since I played Thief I, cant really remember and compare to that) the handling is PATHETIC.

Something that amazed me:
The readme file, which is just black text on an ugly single color blue background, is 164kb. Somehow I am not surprised over their games being incredibly bloated while maintaining crappy texture quality.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 03:44 PM   #50
skizatch
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally posted by dawdler
... even the bow jitters when you zoom.
I may be wrong but I think it's supposed to do that, as Garret doesn't have quite as steady a hand as he used to.
Old May 29, 2004, 10:10 PM   #51
TB303
Radeon R420

TB303 is still being judged by the masses

Hi people,

I play the game and so far it's very good, one question though:

Sometimes I pick up objects (loot, a "magic wand" etc) - and I can't seem to do anything with them except to throw them away... both mouse buttons throw the object away...

How can I take and use stuff?

Thanks... ;-))
TB303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 10:13 PM   #52
skizatch
Radeon R100

Quote:
Originally posted by TB303
Hi people,

I play the game and so far it's very good, one question though:

Sometimes I pick up objects (loot, a "magic wand" etc) - and I can't seem to do anything with them except to throw them away... both mouse buttons throw the object away...

How can I take and use stuff?

Thanks... ;-))
You can't, unfortunately. If it doesn't go "ding!" and show it on the left side of the screen with a number indicatings its value, then it wasn't loot. Yeah it'd be super sweet to pick-pocket a shaman's wand (later in the game anyway) and use it against him/her
Old May 29, 2004, 10:28 PM   #53
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Played the demo and my imprestions so far.

Its very well done for an "xbox" port.

its very easy to see it was made for the xbox then just added to the pc as seconded fidle.

SQUARE candles!?! I mean, theif 1 had square candles

textures aren't the best, head bobbing is annoying. I don't care for the feel of the movement either, nothing like the first two.

I guess im to much of a theif fan, becuase in all honesty, I don't like thief 3, it sucks as a "thief" game, and its "sub par" as a pc game (but good for an xbox)

sigh, you can really tell its the dues ex 2 engine, man why did they have to use that POS.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2004, 11:59 PM   #54
infin|ty
Radeon R300

infin|ty is still being judged by the masses

Just played the demo for about 45 seconds. I get about 10fps with my rig. Another IS **** up. GJ guys.
1GB PC-3200 DDR
2x120GB SATA Seagate Barracudas (Raid 0)
R9800PRO
SB Audigy 2
19" NEC MultiSync FE991SB

3DMark01 score: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6701014
infin|ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 12:09 AM   #55
ATMArage
Revulva

ATMArage is still being judged by the masses

I think I'm gonna try to pick this up later today. I finished the demo a little while ago and really loved it despite the subpar performance. Gameplay > *

"Ergo, buttplug = gay"
~Missus
ATMArage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 01:47 AM   #56
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by skizatch
I may be wrong but I think it's supposed to do that, as Garret doesn't have quite as steady a hand as he used to.
I know its supposed to move, but it jitters AND move at the same time. Typical animation error. Even Thief 1 beats it in terms of animations.

After the BFV fiasco, I am starting to think every developer hire the same beta tester: A deaf, blind and mute guy locked in the basement at the EA office.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 01:48 AM   #57
mpFLUX
Radeon R420

mpFLUX is still being judged by the masses

I could not believe what AF does for this games
graphics quality...

If you REALLY wanna see what this game should look
like this is your settings.

Bloom Off
2x MultiSampling
(AA set to App pref in control panel)
(forced 16x AF in control panel)
Shadows Maxed

The game looks AWESOME with the settings above.

Flux
1x WD360GD Raptor 36gb
NEC P1150 21" CRT
mpFLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 04:40 AM   #58
breez
Rage3D Veteran

breez is still being judged by the masses

Anyone know how to get 1280x960 resolution in the game? They always forget that...
Video card: Connect3D AIW Radeon 9800 SE @ Pro
Sound: EMU 0404
Operating system: XP SP2
breez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 05:57 AM   #59
vasileiou
Banned

vasileiou is still being judged by the masses

Hey

did anyone tried using TRUFORM with these game
vasileiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2004, 06:23 AM   #60
Dem2k
Radeon Sea Islands

Dem2k is still being judged by the masses

I want to see someone with an x800 say, "the performance is crappy, even on an x800pro! i get 9000+ 3d03 marks and this game is choking it!"

Warren is becoming a pretty good liar. I swear I heard him say that the engine was refined, and stuff like the xbox doesn't hamper the PC build, though he admited it is going on. Infact he was asked these questions at e3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0
King of LimboooO!
Dem2k is offline   Reply With Quote