Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 24, 2021, 06:02 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Here's some photos from the Palo Alto store:

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580

Last edited by SubCog : Feb 27, 2021 at 11:54 AM.
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 03:14 PM   #32
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to-osQMHxpE

I like this guy's videos on company history, usually puts out stuff on Wednesdays but I guess he did a special for this one.

Didn't know Fry's started out as a grocery chain and that the change to electronics was from the founder's sons. Totally forgot about Incredible Universe which they bought out from Radio Shack which was based in TX. The video has some pictures of the locations I'll never get to see now.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 09:57 AM   #33
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I'm a bit sad to see them close, honestly. Since around 2010 or so their prices have been as good as online, especially because you could price match if necessary. It was nice having a place I could go to just grab components without having to wait for shipping. I tried to buy there whenever possible to keep them in business, but I guess no one else did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
They have been dead in the water for better part of a year now with basically nothing in stock. Went to one before the pandemic and they literally had nothing on the shelves.
I think it's been more like two years now, maybe even three. I bought a TV at Fry's in October of 2019 and the store shelves were almost all bare. However, that was not when I first became aware of the store being in that state, it was at least six months before. I think toward the end of 2018 things were still normal but then they just stopped restocking.

Anyway, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now. I'm actually surprised they lasted as long as they did.

Edit: I specifically remember buying some fans there around the end of November 2018, and at that time things were relatively normal, maybe some things out of stock but that's been normal over the years. So some time between holiday season of 2018 and early to mid 2019 my local store emptied out.

Last edited by Nagorak : Mar 1, 2021 at 06:24 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:03 AM   #34
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

The themed store thing was pretty cool, also. Unfortunately my local store theme was "empty warehouse".
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:19 AM   #35
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
The themed store thing was pretty cool, also. Unfortunately my local store theme was "empty warehouse".
LOL, same in ATL

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 02:41 PM   #36
Cyko
Your New Lord

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I was bummed at the news. Even before the pandemic my local one had the empty warehouse feel, but I still have memories as a teen of wandering through the aisles for an hour or two just checking out all the cool new tech. Built many of my pc’s using parts from there.

RIP.

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:46 PM   #37
ugly
Radeon R600

ugly is still being judged by the masses

I never went to a physical location. I think they are mostly in the southern part of the US.

I haven't bought anything from them for years, but I have a bit of a soft spot for them. I bought most of the gear for my first computer build from them. If I remember correctly, they had decent CPU+MB combos and I picked up a AMD3700+ combo for my first build.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:43 AM   #38
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

This made me check the ole H2o folder in my browser bookmarks. Many are gone, but FrozenCPU, Xoxide, Swiftech, and Directron are still up.
I visited the Directron store years ago when I was in Houston and it was more like an organized garage sale then a retail store, but it was packed.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 07:06 PM   #39
xCLAVEx
FCK Joebama/HeelsUpHarris

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
This made me check the ole H2o folder in my browser bookmarks. Many are gone, but FrozenCPU, Xoxide, Swiftech, and Directron are still up.
I visited the Directron store years ago when I was in Houston and it was more like an organized garage sale then a retail store, but it was packed.
Directron is still there, I live a block away from them.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 07:56 PM   #40
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Directron is still there, I live a block away from them.
Ever go in? Wonder what it's like.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 06:46 PM   #41
xCLAVEx

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
Ever go in? Wonder what it's like.
Haven't been inside in a loooooooooooooooong time. I checked their website and they seem to only be selling old stuff now, nothing current that I can see. To be honest, not sure how they are still in business.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 07:32 PM   #42
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Haven't been inside in a loooooooooooooooong time. I checked their website and they seem to only be selling old stuff now, nothing current that I can see. To be honest, not sure how they are still in business.
It's been I dunno 8 years since I was last there but their main business is actually service contracts to several TX ISD's. They're sorta like the HP or IBM service arm for schools. They take care of sticking those numerous asset tracking labels to computers, installing the approved disk images for the grade, handle RMA's/repairs, etc. They don't do the actual IT stuff for schools but lets school offload the ton of work every time whole classrooms if not whole buildings require upgrades.

Also since that's their real bread and butter they know better than to order a room full of identical looking computers with wireless mice/keyboard which some instructor did without going through them and quickly learned students would swap those around and the next class would spend minutes either figuring out which mice/keyboard went with which computer or otherwise going through the re-pairing procedure.
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2021, 08:48 PM   #43
KAC
:rolleyes:

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Guess they got Fry’ed.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:04 AM   #44
xCLAVEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
It's been I dunno 8 years since I was last there but their main business is actually service contracts to several TX ISD's. They're sorta like the HP or IBM service arm for schools. They take care of sticking those numerous asset tracking labels to computers, installing the approved disk images for the grade, handle RMA's/repairs, etc. They don't do the actual IT stuff for schools but lets school offload the ton of work every time whole classrooms if not whole buildings require upgrades.

Also since that's their real bread and butter they know better than to order a room full of identical looking computers with wireless mice/keyboard which some instructor did without going through them and quickly learned students would swap those around and the next class would spend minutes either figuring out which mice/keyboard went with which computer or otherwise going through the re-pairing procedure.
I remember about 20 years ago they were one of the places to go to get new stuff (before Fry's though Microcenter was around then too). They had new processors, graphics cards, stuff like that. I never bought from them though because their prices were always too high. I suppose they decided to take the route you said and go with school contracts and lower tech, though if it's profitable more power to them.