Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 23, 2018, 08:49 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
2 years later and I'm still looking to play Dos games with modern VR hardware; not necessarily in true VR but stereo 3D mode.

Are there any improvements or advancements yet for the OP?
I think the likelihood of seeing old DOS games in VR is pretty slim. If it's going to happen I think it's more like a decade or so from now when VR is more ubiquitous. Right now the scene is too small, and there's just not enough interest in going to the effort to get such really old titles running in VR--if it's even possible.

Also, the experience of just hacking VR into a game isn't all that good. The id games converted to VR are good precisely because the engine is available to be directly modded.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2018, 08:51 PM   #32
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirium121 View Post
Doom BFG has it's own mod and supposed to be very good, although i still haven't gotten around to it

& the alien isolation mod just keeps getting better.
Doom BFG was sort of a mixed bag for me. It really is impressive "being there". On the other hand, I was faced by the problem of having already beaten that game multiple times.

Moving to VR doesn't change the plodding game play, or the fact that enemies are bullet sponges that just don't go down. On the one hand the slow paced game play is good, since in VR you can't strafe around as quickly, but in the end I still found myself getting bored of the experience.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2019, 09:04 PM   #33
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Since getting a HP Reverb and trying many games out, I'm pretty satisfied with what VorpX can accomplish with older games for $40.

Here's hoping some smart programmer can eventually get Dos games to somehow work.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 18, 2019, 01:22 AM   #34
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

I've tried Quake1 and Half-Life in VR. It's a fun novelty experience, but not something I would spend alot of time in... certainly not to finish the games to completion.

In the HL Test Chamber, for example, I really want to fully experience what it's like when the whole disaster happens. But when I'm up on the balcony, I really want to be able to lean over the fence and look down into the test chamber, but because of how the camera works, I can't. The game treats your body as a vertical column, so there's no such thing as leaning over something, and trying just makes me motion sick.

Besides, Quake & HL are practically perfect experiences with a mouse and keyboard, and there's just not much that can be done to improve them. Carmack talked once about how VR might let you play games as if it were on a tv screen, but it would be 3d and have parallax, like you're looking through a window. Maybe something like that would be more appropriate for these games?

It's unfortunate that fps games just don't translate well to VR. Everyone expected to be playing Quake3 and stuff in VR, and it just doesn't work that way.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2019, 05:34 PM   #35
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Since getting a HP Reverb and trying many games out, I'm pretty satisfied with what VorpX can accomplish with older games for $40.

Here's hoping some smart programmer can eventually get Dos games to somehow work.
no Dos one yet, but how about NES?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/954280/3dSen_VR/