Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:53 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

At least from the early reports, it was an accident caused in the construction being done to renovate it. I would not want to be that guy who knocked over the worklight or whatever and started it...

Also I'm really not sure why people seem so against its restoration being funded from somewhere outside of the Catholic church? It's been a primary icon of Paris and France for hundreds of years, it's a massive tourist draw, and it's just the right kind of place to catch some rich person's favor and get special treatment.

Maybe it's because there aren't comparable places in the US? If the pyramids got smashed up, the wailing wall got hit by a truck, Borobudur was in an earthquake, the Parthenon was in bad shape (oh wait it was and has been fixed with public money) - all ancient places of worship who's meaning and cultural value have transcended that - you'd expect public funding and private investors to come forward to restore and preserve them... just like with religious artifacts in museums, so why would an at least partially public funded restoration be such a sour note for people? It's exactly what I'd expect and is really par for the course for significant, historic, religious buildings of any sort.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:02 AM   #32
nrs421
Radeon Arctic Islands

nrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselnrs421 exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
At least from the early reports, it was an accident caused in the construction being done to renovate it. I would not want to be that guy who knocked over the worklight or whatever and started it...

Also I'm really not sure why people seem so against its restoration being funded from somewhere outside of the Catholic church? It's been a primary icon of Paris and France for hundreds of years, it's a massive tourist draw, and it's just the right kind of place to catch some rich person's favor and get special treatment.

Maybe it's because there aren't comparable places in the US? If the pyramids got smashed up, the wailing wall got hit by a truck, Borobudur was in an earthquake, the Parthenon was in bad shape (oh wait it was and has been fixed with public money) - all ancient places of worship who's meaning and cultural value have transcended that - you'd expect public funding and private investors to come forward to restore and preserve them... just like with religious artifacts in museums, so why would an at least partially public funded restoration be such a sour note for people? It's exactly what I'd expect and is really par for the course for significant, historic, religious buildings of any sort.
the catholic church can use it, but it's owned by the state.
nrs421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:59 AM   #33
Capt. Picard
Radeon Northern Islands

Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I think it's of value to all of mankind. Forget about the fact that it is a church. The bible says that were two people gather in the name of God, that's a church.

To me the sheer awesomeness of the building is enough for me to be mortified by the damage.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:02 PM   #34
Capt. Picard
Radeon Northern Islands

Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Capt. Picard once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Pardon me again with the funny.

The devastation of the Notre Dame is not funny (it's apocalyptically tragic) ... but this pic unfortunately is.

Old Apr 16, 2019, 01:35 PM   #35
Notbilly
Radeon R420

Notbilly is still being judged by the masses

It's a World Heritage Site, and should absolutely be restored to whatever extent is possible, with the world's appreciation to all involved in the effort.

Glad to hear that the damage was in some ways not as bad as initially feared.
Notbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 01:38 PM   #36
Capt. Picard
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbilly View Post
It's a World Heritage Site, and should absolutely be restored to whatever extent is possible, with the world's appreciation to all involved in the effort.

Glad to hear that the damage was in some ways not as bad as initially feared.
And also glad to hear that some French billionaires (and I hope some other billionaires across the world will later pitch in) already pledged some 400 million dollars for the reperations.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 01:41 PM   #37
Android1
Radeon Tahiti PRO2

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Picard View Post
I think it's of value to all of mankind. Forget about the fact that it is a church. The bible says that were two people gather in the name of God, that's a church.

To me the sheer awesomeness of the building is enough for me to be mortified by the damage.
That is basically how I feel about it, too. The building is priceless in terms of its architectural and historical value, and that is not even to speak of the works of art held inside that were likely lost.

It is also priceless to the people of Paris. The Notre Dame Cathedral is a Paris landmark, literally the center of the city, and a huge source of pride to Parisians, who are probably feeling as devastated as New Yorkers felt when the World Trade Center towers came down.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 02:12 PM   #38
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
It is also priceless to the people of Paris. The Notre Dame Cathedral is a Paris landmark, literally the center of the city, and a huge source of pride to Parisians, who are probably feeling as devastated as New Yorkers felt when the World Trade Center towers came down.
This.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 03:15 PM   #39
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmonger180 View Post
perhaps "some people did something"?
Keep the P&R nonsense where it belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmonger180
as for the loss, it's only in a historical sense, taking about 300yrs to huild. that knd of enginering was oikely unheard of at the time, when construction was started. yet it took only a few hrs to destroy. being that it's a church means absolutely nothing to me
It's much more than history, but since you see it as a church of an "apostate religion" I'm sure it's impossible for you to believe otherwise.

Come to think of it I'm tired of reading your BS replies everywhere. Welcome to the ignore list!

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 03:50 PM   #40
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 06:04 PM   #41
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

this has been making the rounds on reddit today.
https://i.imgur.com/fhQYRY3.mp4

considering how horrific that inferno looked, it's not too bad. the biggest loss seems to be the roof, which afaik was made from european old-growth hardwood which doesn't exist anymore. the wood in the roof was apparently also very dry, which fed the fire.
Too predictable.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 06:29 PM   #42
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
this has been making the rounds on reddit today.
https://i.imgur.com/fhQYRY3.mp4

considering how horrific that inferno looked, it's not too bad. the biggest loss seems to be the roof, which afaik was made from european old-growth hardwood which doesn't exist anymore. the wood in the roof was apparently also very dry, which fed the fire.
52 acres of trees

zero sprinklers
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 06:52 PM   #43
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
52 acres of trees

zero sprinklers
i remember walking around the roof, to the bells, etc, and thinking "holy **** these beams are massive". kindda makes sense how huge the fire was.
Too predictable.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 07:54 PM   #44
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
52 acres of trees

zero sprinklers

In retrospect, a retrofit probably was advised.... but it's tricky piping water up high into old structures, lots of engineering and analysis goes into just trying to figure out whether or not your change will make everything collapse, so they often try to minimize changes to an extreme degree.

Looks like, from the video, that the blaze was mostly in the upper levels, which probably explains the massive fireball you could see from the outside and the relatively low damage to a lot of the interior. Sure helps that the walls are stone too in containing the spread of it.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64

HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:28 PM   #45
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrs421 View Post
i don't think the church wealth is liquid. it also belong to the french state, but the church can use it in perpetuity. salma hayek's husband has pledged 100 million euro, although it will probably cost a billion or two.
... I don't know man. The church, assuming we mean the Catholic church as a whole, could probably sell one of the droves of solid gold "treasures" and art pieces they have to cover the cost of this at the drop of a hat. Not that I mind tons of rich people pouring money in to cover the cost. But the catholic church is hardly damn poor.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2019, 08:38 AM   #46
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
... I don't know man. The church, assuming we mean the Catholic church as a whole, could probably sell one of the droves of solid gold "treasures" and art pieces they have to cover the cost of this at the drop of a hat. Not that I mind tons of rich people pouring money in to cover the cost. But the catholic church is hardly damn poor.
Notre Dame does not belong to the Catholic Church, it's French State property.

"Under the 1905 law on the separation of Church and State, Notre-Dame de Paris is one of 70 churches in Paris built before that year which are owned by the French state. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-...aris#Ownership

yoz
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:12 AM   #47
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

An amazing building. I hope the rebuild brings it back to even better than original slender for the people. And the kids ^_-

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:35 AM   #48
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post

"Under the 1905 law on the separation of Church and State, Notre-Dame de Paris is one of 70 churches in Paris built before that year which are owned by the French state. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state."

And I consider myself owned lol

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:39 AM   #49
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
And I consider myself owned lol
Not at all, not exactly common knowledge, valid assumption.

yoz
Old Apr 17, 2019, 08:37 PM   #50
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

A lot of history there not just the cathedral itself, in the crypts below it there is a 2000 year old archaeological site.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/archaeolog...e-dame-1618626

Enjoyed my visit to Notre Dame and the archaeological site. It was quite fascinating even If I am a heathen atheist
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:44 PM   #51
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

Cynical me says that the Vatican has a metric ton of metric tons of liquid wealth. They're richer than the Rothchildes. It's a Catholic (ie-Vatican) church, regardless of which municipality claims it. The Vatican should pay for every cent of its restoration; not the people, who already pay more than they should for everything, anyway.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2019, 04:07 PM   #52
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
A man will be charged with attempted arson after he brought gas and lighters to St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/us/st...ers/index.html

Quote:
His father told the newspaper that his son is a “brilliant” professor and sounded normal on the phone just hours before the incident. “Extremely out of character. He’s a brilliant professor. His writings — other professors can’t even understand his writings.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/marc-lamparello/
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2019, 05:41 PM   #53
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
Cynical me says that the Vatican has a metric ton of metric tons of liquid wealth. They're richer than the Rothchildes. It's a Catholic (ie-Vatican) church, regardless of which municipality claims it. The Vatican should pay for every cent of its restoration; not the people, who already pay more than they should for everything, anyway.
Tell cynical you that the Vatican is not paying for it as they don't own it.

yoz
Old Apr 18, 2019, 06:05 PM   #54
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Tell cynical you that the Vatican is not paying for it as they don't own it.
They may not own it but it is the seat of the Archbishop, part of the archdiocese, which is part of the church, which is a segment of the Vatican in some way, shape, or form. They are sitting upon billions and billions of dollars in wealth, liquid or not. There is no reason the Vatican can not pay to rebuild Notre Dame .. I’d argue that a good reason for the Vatican to exist at all is to be of use in these types of situations.

It is what it is, I’m well aware that the Vatican won’t pay because there are suckers everywhere donating millions of dollars to repair the building; doesn’t change the fact that it does seem odd that we have so many world crisis and issues, yet there is no assistance to those causes. There is an entire organization that could fund the rebuild 10 times over and not blink an eye, yet they won’t raise a finger. Seems odd to me.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2019, 06:15 PM   #55
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
They may not own it but it is the seat of the Archbishop, part of the archdiocese, which is part of the church, which is a segment of the Vatican in some way, shape, or form. They are sitting upon billions and billions of dollars in wealth, liquid or not. There is no reason the Vatican can not pay to rebuild Notre Dame .. I’d argue that a good reason for the Vatican to exist at all is to be of use in these types of situations.

It is what it is, I’m well aware that the Vatican won’t pay because there are suckers everywhere donating millions of dollars to repair the building; doesn’t change the fact that it does seem odd that we have so many world crisis and issues, yet there is no assistance to those causes. There is an entire organization that could fund the rebuild 10 times over and not blink an eye, yet they won’t raise a finger. Seems odd to me.
The rich.... gon' rich.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 09:00 AM   #56
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

The Queen actually wanted the people to pay for her castle when it burnt.
The Gov had to intervene and make HER pay.
Those types of organizations still see regular people as peasants at their service.

Snavel fun Fact: Super religious aunt of mine actually went to the vatican.
When she say how it was run (They actually have funny dressed "guards" that
push back on poor people asking for help at the gates, with brooms so as not to touch them),
when she came back home, to totally removed all religious objects in her home
and became atheist. I wish I was joking.
There is nothing about the good of the people in the vatican.
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 02:59 PM   #57
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

"THE ROOF THE ROOF THE ROOF IS ON FIRE. WE DON'T NEED NO WATER LET THE MOTHER****ER BURN"

- Pope Francis