Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 22, 2021, 03:24 PM   #5221
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
He was talking about just the USA, not the world.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
Thank you
Java Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 05:34 PM   #5222
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

However, these comments got me thinking.

We do have to think about the world as a whole. We're all most worried about our immediate situations and for good reason. The immediate situation is what affects us day-to-day.

However, just because some areas are doing better than others (and are luckier due to wealth and vaccine availability), the health, well being, and vaccination status of all folks is still of pretty high importance as variants will keep coming from areas with rampant disease. So the folks doing well today may not be so lucky tomorrow and the next variant comes out that the vaccine maybe won't protect against.

So regardless of AstraZenca's vaccine not being as effective as Pfizer/Moderna (and J&J's vaccine still being under review), even a less effective vaccine is better than no vaccine so I hope they still push out the vaccine at a reasonable cost to areas who otherwise wouldn't have access to a vaccine.

It is pretty crap that different folks will get access to vaccines of different effectiveness, but any vaccine is better than no vaccine and the disparities that existed prior to the pandemic also exist now and will continue to exist so, at the very least, I'm hopeful that any vaccine reaches those areas (even if it's a Russian or Chinese vaccine), that do not have the ability to produce vaccines themselves.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Pr3tty F1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2021, 05:41 PM   #5223
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3tty F1y View Post
However, these comments got me thinking.

We do have to think about the world as a whole. We're all most worried about our immediate situations and for good reason. The immediate situation is what affects us day-to-day.

However, just because some areas are doing better than others (and are luckier due to wealth and vaccine availability), the health, well being, and vaccination status of all folks is still of pretty high importance as variants will keep coming from areas with rampant disease. So the folks doing well today may not be so lucky tomorrow and the next variant comes out that the vaccine maybe won't protect against.

So regardless of AstraZenca's vaccine not being as effective as Pfizer/Moderna (and J&J's vaccine still being under review), even a less effective vaccine is better than no vaccine so I hope they still push out the vaccine at a reasonable cost to areas who otherwise wouldn't have access to a vaccine.

It is pretty crap that different folks will get access to vaccines of different effectiveness, but any vaccine is better than no vaccine and the disparities that existed prior to the pandemic also exist now and will continue to exist so, at the very least, I'm hopeful that any vaccine reaches those areas (even if it's a Russian or Chinese vaccine), that do not have the ability to produce vaccines themselves.
I wonder if someone had to resort to getting a "less effective" vaccine (because that was all there was available) if they would be able to take a more effective version later? Could there be bad side effects of doing so or could they be perhaps denied because they were already vaccinated
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 22, 2021, 07:38 PM   #5224
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
I wonder if someone had to resort to getting a "less effective" vaccine (because that was all there was available) if they would be able to take a more effective version later? Could there be bad side effects of doing so or could they be perhaps denied because they were already vaccinated
There was worry at first between getting the 1st dose of Pfizer/Moderna and then swapping for a 2nd dose with explicit direction to NOT do that, but now they're actually studying that (which is a good thing).

However, the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are probably nearly identical as their based on the same underlying mRNA technology and verifying that they can be done interchangeably would be good for the supply chain.

But in all likelihood, yes, you can get a better vaccine later.

There are several flavors of Tentanus vaccine out there made my different manufacturers, and some are just tetanus/diphtheria (Td) and some are tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (Tdap). So beyond just those two basic types, there are different manufacturing processes whin those types that are not 100% equivalent and then there is the children's version (DTap) which is also different and folks can switch between these with out issues.

HPV got a revamped version to cover more strains and stepping up to the new vaccine was covered in the administration literature.

There's Pneumovax-23 that's been out for years for Pneumonia and then Prevnar-13 that more recently came out and while there is some overlap in the strains covered by one or the other, folks get both - just spaced out.

With influenza, currently there are so many different manufacturers and manufacturing processes that year-to-year, that you may be getting vaccines put together totally differently with each new year's version.

I would still say that researchers should test this stuff before OK'ing it, but if a vaccine is already proven safe and effective, it's unlikely to cause a bad reaction if given to a person who has received another similar vaccine. The only difference is that if there is sufficient overlap and the immunization is given within a relatively recent period, expect your immune system to be none too happy and make you feel like crap - just like the 2nd dose of the Moderna/Pfizer vaccines.

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Feb 23, 2021, 04:18 AM   #5225
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

we already have groups of people who deny getting vaccinated with AstraZenca because of the side effects. Talking about it on the radio sure "helped" a lot to minimize the panic..... Now even more people aren't willing to get that stuff, bravo.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You're only given a little spark of madness, you mustn't lose it" *Robin Williams*

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2021, 07:18 AM   #5226
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
we already have groups of people who deny getting vaccinated with AstraZenca because of the side effects. Talking about it on the radio sure "helped" a lot to minimize the panic..... Now even more people aren't willing to get that stuff, bravo.
The side effects of these vaccines are within reason. Of course someone will have a more severe, allergic reaction. That happens to everything.

Nuts, fruits, egg, milk (and not lactose intolerance - you can be allergic to milk proteins), and the list goes on and on. If you can be allergic to something "natural" you can be allergic to something manufactured. At the end of the day, they're all chemicals and everyone's immune system is different and sensitized towards different things.

However, the aches/pains/chills/mild fever of the COVID vaccines that most folks will get are easily dealt with and subside within a day or two. People are a bunch of weenies and can't bare a bit of discomfort for the physical and mental benefits of not getting the disease and not having to worry as much - like the dumbasses who don't get the flu vaccine because "it gives them the flu." But you're right, we give a loud speaker to these dumb dumbs and then other dumb dumbs that are on the fence listen to them (because of course we'll listen to dumb dumbs rather than, you know, well educated people who we're suspicious of....).

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
You suck at life.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER
Old Feb 23, 2021, 08:41 AM   #5227
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quite a few family members have had either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines and so far, no one is complaining. "It beats the hell out of COVID" is the standard response to sore arms and feeling ill/off for a day.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:51 AM   #5228
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

My wife received the first dose. She's a teacher in Ohio.
I'll wait my turn. I'm still in my 40s and in good health.

I encourage all front line people to get the vaccine. Some older, healthy people I know are waiting longer 1) to see which vaccine is best for them and 2) to allow more doses to be available for the the ill or front line workers.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:08 PM   #5229
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
My wife is a fking moron - and yes, I told her that verbatim.

She drove out to CO for the weekend with her mom and sister to scout homes/areas for us to move to. Cue today when I get the following 2 texts:

#1 - “ Sooo uncomfortable...we’re at church and I’m literally the only one wearing a mask.”

#2 - “ And everyone is staring at me“

So immediately I thought “what kind of an idiot goes to church in a pandemic” followed by “how much dumber do you have to be to look around at nobody wearing masks and not immediately get back in your car but rather you go sit amongst them.”

Told her to call me and when she did I told her she’s a fcking moron and to choose either the spare bedroom (which has a side entrance to the yard) or a hotel room to quarantine in until she gets 2 negative tests 24 hours apart.

What kind of dumb sh*t knowingly does something like that with an immunocompromised spouse at home?!?!? Jesus H. I’m LIVID.

Your better half went cray cray.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:45 PM   #5230
Jkmetal23
The NFL sucks

Jkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete strangerJkmetal23 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Cyko, I gave my GF a weekend to herself over something she did COVID protocol wise. Everything was alright in the end but.... I get it.
Jkmetal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 08:21 PM   #5231
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

My 16 yr old granddaughter "finally" got it.

I say "finally" only because she has already been quarantined four times-- including when her little brother had it-- without getting it.

Neither she nor her parents have any idea where she got it, as she'd been home from school quite a bit because of the winter storm. [shrugs]
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:48 PM   #5232
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post

I say "finally" only because she has already been quarantined four times-- including when her little brother had it-- without getting it.

Neither she nor her parents have any idea where she got it, as she'd been home from school quite a bit because of the winter storm. [shrugs]
She will probably shrug it off like a common cold. Now the better question for her parents is... she sneaking out at night?
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM   #5233
xCLAVEx
FCK Joebama/HeelsUpHarris

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post

She knows exactly how she got it or has a good idea, she just isn't saying.

"America is not divided by race. color, gender, or sexual orientation.
America is divided into wise people and fools.
And fools divide themselves by race, color, gender, or sexual orientation."
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #5234
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Payne3d once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

how is the j&j single shot vaccine compared to the other stuff? asking for an older family member.
not a fan of J&J because of this:
https://www.reuters.com/investigates...ohnson-cancer/
J&J didn’t tell the FDA that at least three tests by three different labs from 1972 to 1975 had found asbestos in its talc – in one case at levels reported as “rather high.”

"FDA approval" seems like it means nothing

Last edited by Payne3d : Yesterday at 12:04 PM.
Payne3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM   #5235
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
how is the j&j single shot vaccine compared to the other stuff? asking for an older family.

66%. High enough to probably get approved, but not as good. However, no deaths in their study... so if you got Covid, it wasn't life-threatening. As the second Pfizer/Moderna shot is the one that really seems to do a number on people, the single dose of J&J likely has milder side effects.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/24/...inst-covid-19/

Quote:
Overall in the study, the vaccine reduced cases of Covid-19 that were rated as moderate to severe by 66.1% when considering cases occurring at least 28 days after vaccination. There were 193 cases that occurred at least 28 days after vaccination in the placebo group and 66 in the vaccine group. As of Feb. 5, there were seven Covid-19 related deaths in the placebo group and none in the vaccine group.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote