Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Sep 21, 2004, 08:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
BroadbandGamer
Radeon R700

BroadbandGamer is still being judged by the masses

Default Any programs that work better then ATI Multimedia Center?

I'd like to find something that's a little more polished.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
A64 X2 4400+ | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | ATI X1900 XTX | 74GB Raptor | Antec TP-II 550 | Lian Li PC-65B Sony DRU-700A | TWINX2048-3200C2 | Dell 2005FPW | G5 |Audigy 2 ZS | Saitek Eclipse | Wingman Freedom 2.4
BroadbandGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 02:27 AM   #2
SciDoctor
Radeon Northern Islands

SciDoctor is still being judged by the masses

As of yet there isn't anything better.

Even with MMC's idiosyncrocies and bugs nothing comes close at the end of the day.

There are some alternatives but you may find that after the trial period you head back to MMC.

If ATI continue to pull their finger out in the respect of bug squashing and improvements in integration of the MMC then it will finaly live up to being THE industry standrd and benchmark.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 12:38 PM   #3
fanbanlo
Radeon Evergreen

fanbanlo is still being judged by the masses

Monitor

If your CPU is good enough, try www.snapstream.com
10 feet UI is on the way.

If you're into linux, try www.MythTV.org

Not sure if they work with all AIW, the should work with TVWonder no problem.

Still, the best HTPC should get a hardware accelerated tv card for best Instant Reply capibility.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 22, 2004, 03:31 PM   #4
BroadbandGamer
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbanlo
If your CPU is good enough, try www.snapstream.com
10 feet UI is on the way.

If you're into linux, try www.MythTV.org

Not sure if they work with all AIW, the should work with TVWonder no problem.

Still, the best HTPC should get a hardware accelerated tv card for best Instant Reply capibility.
I tried snapstream and it was real sluggish (TV Wonder Pro is in my sons 2.53GHz P4 system). I liked the TiVo like recording features but that's about it.

Is there anyway to get MMC to list channels and shows like BeyondTV 3?
A64 X2 4400+ | ASUS A8N-SLI Premium | ATI X1900 XTX | 74GB Raptor | Antec TP-II 550 | Lian Li PC-65B Sony DRU-700A | TWINX2048-3200C2 | Dell 2005FPW | G5 |Audigy 2 ZS | Saitek Eclipse | Wingman Freedom 2.4
Old Sep 22, 2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Agustus
Rage3D Veteran

Agustus is still being judged by the masses

I still like ATI’s MMC!

There, I said it,…..

I have tried Snapstream’s Beyond media but I didn’t like the constant disc activity and interface. Their upcoming multi tuner support does have me intrigued but it seems to take them forever to rollout any new software.

I have tried a few others as well but I always came back to MMC.

The one other solution that I really like is M$ WinXP MCE 2K4. I really like it a lot and it is a very, very, very polished solution but when you come up against the DRM beast its like hitting a brick wall,….

Now then, I take it that you are using a TV wonder of some sort because you have an X800 XT PE. Yes,…No,…!?!

Then I understand your need to look elsewhere because, AFAIK, MMC doesn’t have a 10 foot interface for those cards by default. In other words no Easylook!

***edit****************************************************
Actually, I guess EasyLook would work as long as you have an ATI video card

I say give InterVideo Home Theater 2 a spin. Kick the tires and see how you like it.

Last edited by Agustus : Sep 23, 2004 at 08:23 AM.
Agustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2004, 08:51 PM   #6
purephase
Radeon R200

purephase is still being judged by the masses

I've used DScaler in the past, and the latest version (4.1.11) has some nice improvements.

It's not perfect, but it's not bad either. I use it for console games, but MMC for regular TV viewing due to it's support for the Remote Wonder.

I've heard people have had success with Girder and DScaler (for remote support) but I haven't tried it myself.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:03 PM   #7
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

Monitor

You could give SageTV a spin if you like as well.

http://www.sage.tv/index.html

The nice thing about ATI AIW solutions is 3rdParty support is there if you want to use it.

I tried a number of players in the past and like many others I keep coming back to MMC. If you read the sticky HDTV forum you will see some of the testing I did with the MMC component. CPU usage with the ATI player is just hard to beat.

Greg
Old Sep 23, 2004, 08:16 AM   #8
Agustus
Rage3D Veteran

I’m still unclear as to what tuner BroadbandGamer is using as it is not in his sig but:

I was under the impression that the only ATI TV tuner that SageTV supported was the eHome Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.sage.tv/requirements.html?sageSub=tv

system requirements

TV Tuner Card: Installed TV Tuner/MPEG-2 Encoding Card or USB device

 Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250, WinTV-PVR-250MCE, WinTV-PVR-250BTV or WinTV-PVR-350

 Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2 Model 941 (with version 1.4 or later)

 Hauppauge Roslyn (Blackbird) card (SageTV V2 or later)

 AVerMedia M150 (Blackbird) card (SageTV V2 or later)

 Yuan MPG600 (SageTV V2 or later)

 Prolink Pixelview [email protected] (SageTV V2 or later)

ATI eHome Wonder (SageTV V2 or later)

 Adaptec VideOh! DVD Media Center Edition PCI (version 1.4 or later)

 Creative Labs Video Blaster Digital VCR - support for the DVCR is limited due to the discontinuation of the card by the manufacturer

 Provideo PV259, PV258 Series, PV256C or PV256T

 AVerMedia M179 (Discontinued OEM MCE Card)

 Other MPEG-2 encoding cards based on the Conexant IVAC-15, IVAC-16, CX23415, CX23416 or StreamMachine 2210 Codec should function correctly but may not have been tested.
I have an AIW 9800 Pro and a TV wonder VE, otherwise I would have tried it long ago. Is there a workaround to get SageTV to work on these ATI solutions?
Old Sep 23, 2004, 06:56 PM   #9
BroadbandGamer
Radeon R700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustus
I still like ATI’s MMC!

There, I said it,…..

I have tried Snapstream’s Beyond media but I didn’t like the constant disc activity and interface. Their upcoming multi tuner support does have me intrigued but it seems to take them forever to rollout any new software.

I have tried a few others as well but I always came back to MMC.

The one other solution that I really like is M$ WinXP MCE 2K4. I really like it a lot and it is a very, very, very polished solution but when you come up against the DRM beast its like hitting a brick wall,….

Now then, I take it that you are using a TV wonder of some sort because you have an X800 XT PE. Yes,…No,…!?!

Then I understand your need to look elsewhere because, AFAIK, MMC doesn’t have a 10 foot interface for those cards by default. In other words no Easylook!

***edit****************************************************
Actually, I guess EasyLook would work as long as you have an ATI video card

I say give InterVideo Home Theater 2 a spin. Kick the tires and see how you like it.
I have the TV Wonder Pro and it's in my kids computer not the computer in my sig.

Anyway, I'm going to give InterVideo Home Theater 2 a try. Do I need to uninstall MMC first?

Thanks,
Old Sep 23, 2004, 09:47 PM   #10
Agustus
Rage3D Veteran

No you do not need to uninstall ATI's MMC.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:41 PM   #11
Stemcell
ATI hoor

Stemcell is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
You could give SageTV a spin if you like as well.

http://www.sage.tv/index.html

The nice thing about ATI AIW solutions is 3rdParty support is there if you want to use it.

I tried a number of players in the past and like many others I keep coming back to MMC. If you read the sticky HDTV forum you will see some of the testing I did with the MMC component. CPU usage with the ATI player is just hard to beat.

Greg
Sage is wonderful but it doesn't work with AIW cards. I replaced my AIW 7500 in bedroom box with a Sage/Roslyn tuner card and the 9700 Pro I had in my old main box. Head over heels better better than the AIW 7500 it replaced or the 9700 AIW in my HTPC.

I just got my cable fixed with a new drop, I previously could not split my living room cable connection without losing On Demand or HD I so had cable connected to line-in only and wasn't using Guide +, now I can split the connection so I connected to the antenna-in, did a station scan and fired up Guide Plus.

Newest drivers and MMC and the disappearing cursor bug in Guide+ is still there. I have struggled with the cursor bug for 2 years, 4 system configs and an AIW 7500 and 9700, there is no fix that lasts. Oh, yeah got a nice sound stutter when trying to pause live TV, same as with my P4 2.4 and my current A64 3200+. I am not exactly inexperienced with configuring PCs and I have been struggling with AIW/Guide+/MMC issues for more than two years. No way could I recommend an AIW to anyone who isn't a PC enthusiast who also happens to love squashing bugs.

ATI has lost a customer for their multimedia products, with my SAGE/Roslyn unit, I installed, configured and it just works and the client software is also flawless for me. Too bad as there is much goodness about my AIW 9700 but I am tired of all the crap, tweaking and spending time configuring is part and parcel of any HTPC but struggling constantly with known issues shouldn't be. My next HTPC upgrade will definitely be a separate tuner card and it sure won't be an ATI.

If you are considering going for a tuner card stay away from Roslyn based cards, mine in fact works great but they are not as well supported for different software and may be a dead-end card. Sadly I didn't do enough research before I bought mine. I would recommend a PVR 250.
Opteron 165 @ 2.40, 2x 1024 MB G Skill PC4000 @ 267 / Asrock Dual SATA2 / Saphire X1800 XT 256MB / Audigy 2 / NEC 8X + Dual layer DVDRW, NEC 16X + Dual layer DVDRW / 2X Raptor 74GB RAID 0, WD 320Gb PATA, Seagate 200GB PATA / Viewsonic P22F 22" CRT / Stock AMD heatpipe cooler
Stemcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:57 PM   #12
sumrtym
Radeon R300

sumrtym is still being judged by the masses

And personally, I'd take the Sapphire card coming out with the 550 chip on it rather than the PVR 250.
sumrtym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:09 AM   #13
Agustus
Rage3D Veteran

Personally, I don’t think that there is an ideal card out there.

All cards that I have looked at, as well as combo cards like the AIW, have something left to be desired. That goes for the HDTV Wonder as well,…..IMO of course.

The issue I take with my AIW 9800 Pro is basically that lack of hardware encoding. ATI’s e-home wonder is the only card in the arsenal that has it in hardware,…AFAIK.

Now my relationship with MMC is basically Love/hate but,.....

I think it is important to note that the quality of the software shouldn’t be confused with that of the hardware. A software-based bug has little to do with the hardware unless it is driver based and thus should be put in the proper perspective.

MMC bugs are indeed plentiful and often persistent throughout revisions but one always has the option to use other software.

BTW, I would recommend the Hauppauge PVR250MCE over the PVR250 because it is cheaper and has more features. Oh and IMO, the Hauppauge Software is bloody awful and I wouldn’t touch it with a stick,...but thats just me,...

I cannot really comment on the Sapphire/550 card since I haven’t come across anything about it other then the Sapphire web page.