Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
:rolleyes:

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default Is custom water cooling a one time expense?

I was thinking about delving into full custom loop cooling and wanted to figure out if it is a one time expense or does it require frequent investments.

Just for context, I usually keep my CPU for 3-5 years. 8086K was the only one that I kept only for 2 years and some change. I bought a 12 core CPU which I believe should last easily 3 years and then some (2021/2022 seem like guaranteed).

Having said that is it worth building a water loop setup. What are some of the options. I don't want to do a hard tube build because I simply don't have the time or patience for it. However, been watching a lot of PC builds lately and soft tubing seems like an easy enough endeavor.

I was looking at the EK kit w/ 2 360 radiators. Total is coming around 800 shipped to my door. I am not looking for any graphics card cooling because that is one component that I change a lot.

Would be helpful if someone can help me pick out the parts. Was thinking of:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum...kit-d-rgb-p360

and this extra radiator:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum...kit-d-rgb-p360

and this bracket:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-uni-pum...m-fan-vertical

and these fittings for the extra rad:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum...tc-10-16-black

and these rings:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-torque-...ack-blue-10pcs

Total is about:
Subtotal (Excl. Tax) $693.92
Subtotal (Incl. Tax) $693.92
Shipping (DHL Express with tracking) $116.87
Grand Total $810.79

Wdygt?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:07 AM   #2
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

For the most part yes. You'll have to get new GPU blocks when you swap those out, and occasionally a new cpu block.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:51 PM   #3
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

entirely depends. If you are watercooling your GPU you need to drop the money for a gpu block everytime. As you go along you will likely want to alter your fitting setup for various reasons. Also if you switch up cases often you might find needing to change radiators for size constraints. Honestly you would be better off going dual 240 rads over dual 360s just to give you more case flexibility in the long term.

If you are just watercooling your CPU it is entirely not worth the investment.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum...kit-d-rgb-p240
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-pe-240-dual

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 21, 2021, 01:32 PM   #4
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yes I am only water cooling the CPU. No intention for the GPU in the near term (next 2-3 years).
I also don’t change cases often. Typically something has to go absolutely wrong for me to change a case.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 03:14 PM   #5
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

There is extra maintenance as well. You will have to change out the liquid, top it up and refill it. You will likely need to clean the system every once in awhile as well. If your just cooling the CPU... your not going to gain anything vs an AIO really. Other than it being higher maintenance and being expandable in the future if you want to liquid cool more of your system.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 05:11 PM   #6
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

The plus side of all of that is that if you do go with a GPU water block your machine is dead quiet. The loudest thing on my computer is the keyboard and the mouse.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 05:34 PM   #7
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
entirely depends. If you are watercooling your GPU you need to drop the money for a gpu block everytime. As you go along you will likely want to alter your fitting setup for various reasons. Also if you switch up cases often you might find needing to change radiators for size constraints. Honestly you would be better off going dual 240 rads over dual 360s just to give you more case flexibility in the long term.

If you are just watercooling your CPU it is entirely not worth the investment.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum...kit-d-rgb-p240
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-pe-240-dual

Seconding the 240 rad. Go thin. D5 pump is preferred as they last longer.

Use EK's concentrate mix. It'll save your ass in the long run.

If cooling just your CPU for a mainstream desktop build (AM4 etc..) I'd just stick with AIO. Its not worth just cooling your CPU unless you plan on going custom GPU waterblock down the line.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 05:35 PM   #8
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

My current system was built to cool the GPU and CPU. Still no GPU block, so right now I've got 640mm of rad space cooling my CPU.

Only go with a DDC pump if you're forced to. Mine that came with the distro plate died already. I now have two DDC 3.2 spares. I've been doing this for years, and I've yet to have a D5 fail.

I've always had a spare pump on hand, and never had to use it with the D5 until I decided to build a new rig that was water cooled. This DDC made me decide to buy two spares. I don't want to have to rip the cooling out of my rig because the pump died, and I have to wait two weeks to get a new one.

Last edited by Greasy : Jan 21, 2021 at 05:43 PM.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 06:40 PM   #9
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
My current system was built to cool the GPU and CPU. Still no GPU block, so right now I've got 640mm of rad space cooling my CPU.

Only go with a DDC pump if you're forced to. Mine that came with the distro plate died already. I now have two DDC 3.2 spares. I've been doing this for years, and I've yet to have a D5 fail.

I've always had a spare pump on hand, and never had to use it with the D5 until I decided to build a new rig that was water cooled. This DDC made me decide to buy two spares. I don't want to have to rip the cooling out of my rig because the pump died, and I have to wait two weeks to get a new one.

my system was built to cool the 4 GPU's and two CPU's
so now i got two Monsta 560mm x 140mm x 86mm radiators and 16 140mm fans at 600 RPM cooling just CPU's a 1900x & a 3800x

and don't worry about D5 pumps my two have been going for 12+ years non stop in 4 builds
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2021, 08:18 PM   #10
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

The EK configurator is a good place to start. I found it useful.

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/
Old Jan 21, 2021, 09:42 PM   #11
KAC

The kit I posted has a D5 pump. Isn’t that a good kit for the price?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 09:47 PM   #12
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

You have the kit listed again under the extra rad.

Other than that, looks like a nice kit.

Make sure to get the water treatment. https://www.ekwb.com/shop/accessorie...l-concentrates

Also, getting a filling bottle will save you a lot of headache.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 09:57 PM   #13
KAC

Not sure what you mean by water treatment. It comes with a filling bottle, some dyes and clear cryo fuel concentrate.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 04:34 AM   #14
KAC

So I am almost over the idea of water cooling. The cost, maintenance and potential damage to equipment (having never done this before) means that I don’t want to dabble in it.

I was, however, thinking if it makes sense to put the AIO radiator in a water bucket next to the computer rather than mounting it on the top w/ fans. This is actually achievable in my case as it has a back panel supposed to be used for adding a second system. I can simply remove that cover and take the radiator out and dip it in a bucket of water. Do you gays think it will keep temps cooler than mounting?

Btw my RGB won’t be affected since all fans and everything will be working as before. Only the tubes will go out the back and rad will sit in a bucket of room temp water.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 04:31 PM   #15
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

The chance of you screwing up a custom loop is less than a AIO screwing up your system. They kind of make them idiot proof these days.

Plus, if you do it right, you run the loop for a full 24 hours looking for leaks before you supply power to your system.

I hesitated going full custom loop. Now, I wish I hadn't waited so long. It's great cooling and very quite. IMO, it's worth the money.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 08:23 PM   #16
KAC

Let me try these Noctuas and if that doesn’t work custom water might be my next experiment. Most gays were saying that custom water in similar ambient than mine will only yield about 5C temp drop with a single rad setup. Honestly not worth 650 bones.

I can undervolt and achieve the same result.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 02:14 PM   #17
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thumbs up

Cool you're exploring this !

For me it's always been about consistent silence. Radiators can be a huge "thermal mass", takes time to heat up. First time I fired up a game or did renders on the AMD 2xMP2200 with an InnovaTek kit and fan speed remained unchanged (sufficient cooling) was a revelation so to speak. Now I just have a bigass standing external beast outside the case, can almost game passively cooled.

Interesting when a good watercooling kit is compared to the largest Noctua coolers (love them!). Sure the Noctua might cool better, but take time into consideration and.. well

I'm actually making a 16x16 fan+temp controller now. Gonne be wild, its own LCD at a massive 2", Wifiits own webserver, independent PSU/brick, none of that RPM speed setting reset / unreliable MB ****
Old Jan 28, 2021, 03:21 PM   #18
Waqas
lurker

Waqas is still being judged by the masses

Get a car radiator and run it with no fans
Waqas is offline   Reply With Quote