Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 26, 2017, 07:25 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Elysian - do you use a smartwatch/fitness tracker with your phone? My iphone is about belly up, but I won't buy another, so the watch goes with it and I'm thinking the Essential + a Garmin watch.

Any input? Thanks
Nope, sorry.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2017, 08:07 PM   #62
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Okay thanks
Old Nov 27, 2017, 09:13 PM   #63
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

399 with the camera on amazon today btw.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:31 PM   #64
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Erg. Android is so different from what I'm used to.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 07:51 AM   #65
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCI Blue View Post
You'll figure it out. It does things pretty well in my opinion.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 08:56 AM   #66
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I'm a bit concerned about this too. I've been dumbed down using an iphone for almost 3 years.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:01 AM   #67
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
You'll figure it out. It does things pretty well in my opinion.
It does do things well, which I remember from the past. The degree of software fragmentation however is a pain. Motorola for example used to use a proprietary message app, which did really weird stuff when you save texts to a PC to read later.

Quote:
I'm a bit concerned about this too. I've been dumbed down using an iphone for almost 3 years.
I'm used to things just working. Having gone from Windows Phone (where nothing worked) to iOS (where everything worked) this middle of the road part is annoying. I'm seeing the same issues Elysian did when connecting his phone to his stereo. It seems that in Android Bluetooth is just a communication protocol and in this case it carries just the music rather than giving the ability to access the playlist too.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:04 AM   #68
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

This is why I stay on iOS.

One thing I remember from my Android experience was all the "fiddling" with the phone.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:08 AM   #69
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

One thing I remember from my Android experience was all the "fiddling" with the phone.
I'm not fiddling with my Essential, it works great. Literally only thing I've done that isn't stock is the launcher and the camera app, and that doesn't take constant upkeep. I'm using my Essential Phone the same way I did my iPhone, and it's just better at that. As I've laid out in my other thread, iOS doesn't "just work" in a lot of ways.

Last edited by Elysian : Nov 28, 2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:14 AM   #70
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
It does do things well, which I remember from the past. The degree of software fragmentation however is a pain. Motorola for example used to use a proprietary message app, which did really weird stuff when you save texts to a PC to read later.

I'm used to things just working. Having gone from Windows Phone (where nothing worked) to iOS (where everything worked) this middle of the road part is annoying. I'm seeing the same issues Elysian did when connecting his phone to his stereo. It seems that in Android Bluetooth is just a communication protocol and in this case it carries just the music rather than giving the ability to access the playlist too.
The thought of paying for another iphone if mine dies hurts lol. Issues with BT would be a problem for me as well, albeit a small one. I'll have to read up on that before I choose a phone.
Quote:
I'm not fiddling with my Essential, it works great. Literally only thing I've done that isn't stock is the launcher, and that doesn't take constant upkeep. I'm using my Essential Phone the same way I did my iPhone, and it's just better at that.
I remember most of the fiddling I did with Android wasn't necessary - almost all of it was me trying some new trick or tip.

Overall the experience wasn't great, not horrible, just not great with the 3 Notes I had. But it's been a while and it sounds like Android has come a long way since then.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:16 AM   #71
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
The thought of paying for another iphone if mine dies hurts lol. Issues with BT would be a problem for me as well, albeit a small one. I'll have to read up on that before I choose a phone.

I remember most of the fiddling I did with Android wasn't necessary - almost all of it was me trying some new trick or tip.

Overall the experience wasn't great, not horrible, just not great with the 3 Notes I had. But it's been a while and it sounds like Android has come a long way since then.
I switched to iPhone two years ago after the Note 5, partially because I was tired of fiddling with crap. Android has come a long long way since then.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:20 AM   #72
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I switched to iPhone two years ago after the Note 5, partially because I was tired of fiddling with crap. Android has come a long long way since then.
I haven't sat down with a pure Android device...ever. I need to look my buddy up at BB and spend half an hour with an Essential or Pixel. It's a good possibility that a lot of the lag and issues I had were touchwiz (is that right?) related....
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:47 AM   #73
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
I haven't sat down with a pure Android device...ever. I need to look my buddy up at BB and spend half an hour with an Essential or Pixel. It's a good possibility that a lot of the lag and issues I had were touchwiz (is that right?) related....
I notice lag with pure Android as well, but honestly I think it's just the way Android loads apps vs iOS. With iOS the app window opens and then there's lag as content loads. With Android, the app window doesn't open until there's content. At least, that's my perception. I could be wrong though.

But yeah, Touchwiz is crap, IMO.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:02 AM   #74
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I notice lag with pure Android as well, but honestly I think it's just the way Android loads apps vs iOS. With iOS the app window opens and then there's lag as content loads. With Android, the app window doesn't open until there's content. At least, that's my perception. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure if that's the issue either. Just that it made for a less than pleasant experience.

Then there's the old boogeyman - security. I do everything from read to banking on my iphone. I've just spent the last 30 minutes reading up on it and it seems as if Apple has the edge now, as opposed to the back and forth we always see between rivals.

I'd hate to buy an Android device and always wonder if that latest app I used is vulnerable or not. I know neither are perfect, but fewer weak spots are fewer weak spots...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:04 AM   #75
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post

Note 8 with Touchwiz.
No Lag.
No BT Issues.
No fiddling.
Everything works, extremely well, and with buttery smoothness on top of that.

Any other phone on the market IMO is a compromise by comparison with any number of shortcomings relative to the Note8. This isn't to say that the Note8 is perfect, but it's the best phone money can buy right now.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:08 AM   #76
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I think a lot of that was related to the storage speed. The Essential Phone is UFS 2.1, which has a maximum theoretical bandwidth of 1200MB/s, it's been pretty good to me. Just ran Androbench to see what the storage speeds are like, screenshot:

I think that's not too shabby.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:20 AM   #77
Lazy8s
One day at a time

That's not too shabby at all Elysian
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:42 AM   #78
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I was also playing a podcast at the same time, so that might have taken up a hair of the speed
Old Nov 28, 2017, 12:07 PM   #79
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I was also playing a podcast at the same time, so that might have taken up a hair of the speed
LOL, that says a lot.

This is a harder decision than I thought it would be. I have a decent amount invested into iOS only apps too, which has been worth it. There are 'droid alternatives, but not quite as polished yet. Getting there though.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 02:41 PM   #80
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
LOL, that says a lot.

This is a harder decision than I thought it would be. I have a decent amount invested into iOS only apps too, which has been worth it. There are 'droid alternatives, but not quite as polished yet. Getting there though.

One thing I remember from my Android experience was the apps weren't very polished compared to their iOS versions. Most downright missing features or had completely different (ie old) UI.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 03:15 PM   #81
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Ha. People talking about Apple "it just works" makes me laugh. I remember the frustration of trying to do things with my wifes iphone 5s that was extremely frustrating because it was uninituitive and needlessly complex where as on the android it was intuitive and easy to do. Found the iphone to be garbage.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2017, 03:41 PM   #82
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post

One thing I remember from my Android experience was the apps weren't very polished compared to their iOS versions. Most downright missing features or had completely different (ie old) UI.
As I've said, Android has come a long way since then. Apple is no cakewalk either, there are some downright **** apps on iOS.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 05:58 PM   #83
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
Ha. People talking about Apple "it just works" makes me laugh. I remember the frustration of trying to do things with my wifes iphone 5s that was extremely frustrating because it was uninituitive and needlessly complex where as on the android it was intuitive and easy to do. Found the iphone to be garbage.
You're the only person I've ever heard say iOS is hard. It's comically simple and easy. The only thing frustrating about it is fending off Apples ridiculous pushes to use the cloud, and recovering your photos if you screw up and allow them to be uploaded. The hardware is as stout as any other phone out there as well.

There are huge differences though, that do leave a lot of room for personal tastes and preferences.

I think "garbage" is way too strong for any of the premium priced devices today, be they Android or iOS based.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 06:00 PM   #84
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
As I've said, Android has come a long way since then. Apple is no cakewalk either, there are some downright **** apps on iOS.
For sure. The app store may be a bit safer from malware than androids because of Apples stranglehold on it, but that doesn't mean the quality is always there. I have no idea how many apps I've tried and dumped.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:31 AM   #85
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

Found some interesting stuff, it seems it's not unusual for Android to not display audio information on car stereos. There's a bucketload of people from several manufacturers complaining about this happening over bluetooth and it seems to be in relation to avcrp. Tons of people had it working in 6.x and it went to **** in 7.

bounty hunter
Quote:
Old Nov 29, 2017, 03:22 AM   #86
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

My iPhone 8 Plus lags/stutters when scrolling (and unlocking) more often than my Oneplus One (2013 model?) ever did. And I've seen other iPhone 8/X-users reporting the same;

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...stutterjitter/

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comme...lus_sometimes/

I dont think iphones are the smoothest phones when it comes to GUI anymore.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2017, 08:52 AM   #87
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
My iPhone 8 Plus lags/stutters when scrolling (and unlocking) more often than my Oneplus One (2013 model?) ever did. And I've seen other iPhone 8/X-users reporting the same;

Almost everyone I know with an iphone said iOS11 has been nothing but trouble for them, myself included. I wish I never installed it.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 09:58 AM   #88
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post

iOS 11 is garbage.

I expect 11.2 to fix A LOT of stupidity. This OS was clearly rushed. Why? I'm not sure, because it's iOS and not much changed.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:11 AM   #89
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I think part of the problem with stuttering/lag on iOS devices is that the Plus models have a lower resolution screen than they're rendered at, so it's always scaling everything down, which is a damned stupid way to do things.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:17 PM   #90
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Elysian - do you use a smartwatch/fitness tracker with your phone? My iphone is about belly up, but I won't buy another, so the watch goes with it and I'm thinking the Essential + a Garmin watch.

Any input? Thanks
I've been using Garmin watches with Samsung phones for some years now. The Garmin app is not a battery drain and doesn't use much data in day-to-day use. This should be true for Essential also, unless there are bluetooth issues in it. The Garmin app has evolved quite a lot and is pretty good these days. It used to be pretty poor back in the early Vivoactive days.

One thing to consider is your use of a smartwatch. The Garmins don't do as much as proper smartwatches, but you get notifications from the phone, can do some music control etc, and the training tools of your chosen model. You also get significantly better battery life. The original Vivoactive needed charging perhaps once a week in my use, my current 935 goes 1.5 to 2 weeks on a single charge in mixed use. There are Android Wear devices that have wider app support than what Garmin's devices offer, but you lose the battery life etc.