Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 4, 2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
x-voodoo
Radeon R700

x-voodoo is still being judged by the masses

Default Need a bigger SSD

My 500gb SSD I use for Windows and a few games is filling up (thanks to GTA5, RDR2, Forza 7, etc).

Picking up a 1TB Samsung, wondering if I should just add as a third hard drive (right now I have the 500gb SSD and a 3TB mechanical hard drive for other games and storage).

Or do I upgrade my current 500GB to the 1TB. Thanks!
x-voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2019, 05:46 PM   #2
DigitalDemon
Flaccid Flexor

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

500GB SSD: Continue to use as boot drive
1TB SSD: Use for SSD favorable games
3TB HDD: Continue to use for games/storage

You should commit to splitting games onto their own drives and using a dedicated boot drive. Ive had my Steam install on a separate drive since 2003. While I have migrated it to larger drives over time, the base install has not changed, and has survived multiple system and OS upgrades/overhauls.

Not sure about windows store installs, but Steam/Origin/Uplay installs all survive when the drive moves to a new system. Origin/Uplay may need a base re-install, but the games on the drive are picked up and ready to play.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDemon View Post
500GB SSD: Continue to use as boot drive
1TB SSD: Use for SSD favorable games
3TB HDD: Continue to use for games/storage

You should commit to splitting games onto their own drives and using a dedicated boot drive. Ive had my Steam install on a separate drive since 2003. While I have migrated it to larger drives over time, the base install has not changed, and has survived multiple system and OS upgrades/overhauls.

Not sure about windows store installs, but Steam/Origin/Uplay installs all survive when the drive moves to a new system. Origin/Uplay may need a base re-install, but the games on the drive are picked up and ready to play.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 6, 2019, 04:19 AM   #4
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

older intel nvme drives are quite cheap, got a 2tb and pce-ex adapter for my primary games. but I still have a 1tb sata ssd and 4gb hdd for the other games.
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2019, 06:19 AM   #5
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I picked up an Intel 660P 1 TB for 82 smacks.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote