Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Aug 16, 2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Upcoming surgery

Well, my left hand is still kind of stupid due to some ongoing nerve thing happening in my elbow, so what the doctors want to do is essentially move the nerve from the little trough in the bones at the elbow (you know, where you always smack when you bash your funny bone) over to the inside of my arm instead. Has anyone else here had this done?

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:25 AM   #2
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Nope. Isn't that pretty risky though?

Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:26 AM   #3
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

they will steal your organs while you are anesthetized
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 17, 2008, 07:23 AM   #4
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
Nope. Isn't that pretty risky though?

There's always a risk, but talking to the doctor it's a pretty routine thing. The big thing is really to keep the problem from getting worse while I still have some feeling and motor control in the affected parts of my hand. Of course, if they mess up then I'm really boned...

The alternative is to wear a brace that keeps my elbow straight...all the time.

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
Old Aug 17, 2008, 07:25 AM   #5
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
they will steal your organs while you are anesthetized
They'd have to be really good because I think it will be under local anesthetic.

Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:11 PM   #6
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsboyer View Post
They'd have to be really good because I think it will be under local anesthetic.
What if they are ninja surgeons eh?
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:39 PM   #7
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpyhed View Post
What if they are ninja surgeons eh?
Hah! Your ninja skills are no match for my <Snick!>...<thump>

Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:48 PM   #8
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Never had a nerve moved; but good luck to you if you get it done CB
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:38 AM   #9
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Even though it is just being moved, expect it to take several months for it to start feeling normal again. Repositioning a nerve often slightly damages it with the slight stretching that occurs. That said, in the hands of a good surgeon, it's a fairly straight forward procedure.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:59 AM   #10
Tork64
Radeon Arctic Islands

Tork64 is still being judged by the masses

out of curiosity, how much is this gonna cost you ? nothin right ?

oh yeah gluck with it man.
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 02:32 AM   #11
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Well, my left hand is still kind of stupid due to some ongoing nerve thing happening in my elbow, so what the doctors want to do is essentially move the nerve from the little trough in the bones at the elbow (you know, where you always smack when you bash your funny bone) over to the inside of my arm instead. Has anyone else here had this done?
I knew a kid who was a pitcher in Highschool who had this exact surgery. He had tons of pain for no reason in his arm before he got it and after it only burned a little after he threw a lot of pitches. It did result in a pretty big scar though, but medicine had gone far lately so maybe you won't get much of a scar. Good luck.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:13 AM   #12
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Thanks, guys. As for scarring, I really don't care if it gets my had back or at least keeps it from getting worse. It doesn't hurt, it's just half-numb all the time like when it goes to sleep when you lie on your arm or something. Sometimes it itches like mad.

And yes, it is covered by OHIP, so my cost is nothing but time off work and some discomfort.

Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:09 AM   #13
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Just an update - had it done Thursday the 28th. The bruising that I can see around the top of the cast is phenomenal (swollen and so dark purple it's almost black). Apparently I have a high pain threshold because more than one medical professional was surprised that I'm fine on one or two Tylenol-3 every four hours or so. I've had much worse pain than this before.

The itching is what is getting me. It is a tickling, prickly sort of itch all around the bruising and I can't do anything at all about it.

Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:35 AM   #14
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

All the best for a speedy recovery; hope it fixes the problem outright.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2008, 08:11 AM   #15
Zoolok
The Fly

Zoolok is still being judged by the masses

Hang in there, I hope it works out fine
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:17 AM   #16
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Just an update - had it done Thursday the 28th. The bruising that I can see around the top of the cast is phenomenal (swollen and so dark purple it's almost black). Apparently I have a high pain threshold because more than one medical professional was surprised that I'm fine on one or two Tylenol-3 every four hours or so. I've had much worse pain than this before.

The itching is what is getting me. It is a tickling, prickly sort of itch all around the bruising and I can't do anything at all about it.
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to ask for the most awesomest pain pills they can give you, you shouldn't have to feel any pain at all, not "I've had worse" pain.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:09 AM   #17
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to ask for the most awesomest pain pills they can give you, you shouldn't have to feel any pain at all, not "I've had worse" pain.

Actually, I haven't had to take anything since yesterday (yes it hurts, but the T3's don't really do that much and it's not that bad considering). My wife got so annoyed at me wandering around to keep my mind off the itchyness and such, she just poured me a shot of Johnny Walker to get me to sit down and shut up. Actually, it does more for the discomfort than the Tylenol 3's did

Old Sep 1, 2008, 11:36 AM   #18
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Take some

Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:57 PM   #19
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Well, it's Tuesday, the swelling is mostly down and it really, really ****ing hurts now. Back to the Tylenol 3's. Every time my arm shifts in the cast it feels like I banged my funnybone. And I thought I'd be back at work in a few days

The term for the procedure was "transposition of the ulnar nerve." For a little more info, wiki to the rescue. Here and here.

Old Sep 2, 2008, 09:29 PM   #20
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Hopefully it won't bother you for long as it heals.

I have something minor, but similar to what you describe. My left hand will go numb every now and then, and it'll tingle like I just smacked my funnybone. I talked to the doctor about it and he seemed to think that it was the increased muscle mass in my arm that might have put pressure on the nerve and as long as it didn't get any worse I should be alright. This happened right after I started putting some weight on.

It pretty much stayed the same all this time so I hope it remains that way.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:49 PM   #21
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I have had the same exact thing except in my right arm instead of my left. tell ppl you got in a knife fight or something >_>

did they measure your muscle atrophy in your hand and forearm?

as soon as the cast and or bandages is off GET INTO physical rehab TRUST ME it helps. If you had severe muscle loss (like I did) it is possible that you might get tremors in your forearm and hand regaining any muscle mass in those parts you can will help with that.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 05:55 AM   #22
Corum Jhaelen Irsei
Banned

Corum Jhaelen Irsei is still being judged by the masses

You both should have cut back on the stroking. We all know thats how you really hurt your arms.
Corum Jhaelen Irsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2008, 12:06 PM   #23
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalfthewhite View Post
I have had the same exact thing except in my right arm instead of my left. tell ppl you got in a knife fight or something >_>

did they measure your muscle atrophy in your hand and forearm?

as soon as the cast and or bandages is off GET INTO physical rehab TRUST ME it helps. If you had severe muscle loss (like I did) it is possible that you might get tremors in your forearm and hand regaining any muscle mass in those parts you can will help with that.
They didn't measure the loss, but it is certainly significant. The doctor didn't mention anything about rehab, but I'm sure it will be on the blocks as soon as we see how the nerve starts to recover.

Old Sep 3, 2008, 06:41 PM   #24
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

contact a physical therapist and talk to them about the injury and what you could do figure out when and how you should start trust me the sooner you do it the better off you will be.

the way I injured mine was that I was sparring with someone for their brown belt test (I was the only black belt that was his size that day) and he threw me wrong and I couldnt recover from it and landed directly on my elbow hyper compressed the nerve didnt realize it or get it looked at for 3 months.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2008, 07:47 PM   #25
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

Well, the cast is off , but it's still kind of painful. I still have to be super-careful and can't go back to work for another week because it is still "delicate". It seems that it isn't healing quite as quickly as hoped, so it's strapped together with tape and a bandage for now and I'm under strict orders not to lift or carry anything with it, move it around or even straighten my elbow for at least another week.

As for pics...as soon as the cast came off......not that bad, really.

When I get a cast on it always makes me think of the horror stories my grandmother sometimes talked about when we were up to something really stupid. She was a nurse for a while and had seen a few cases where the cast had some bad pressure points or was just a little too tight.