Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 15, 2019, 01:27 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Default Sennheiser headphones

I have a set of HD598SE that are several years old and getting worn out. I am looking to replaced them with another set off Sennheiser, and no sure what to chose. I am trying to stay under $300, and I see that HD598SE are no longer made, but there are HD598, HD598SC, HD598SR and HD599. The website doesn't explain what the hell is the difference between these, and which ones are best. Going to be using them with Soundblaster ZxR.
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 06:30 AM   #2
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Isn’t the SE just the black version of the regular hd598?

So buy the beige 598 if you want something that will sound exactly the same as your SE.

Last edited by Mangler : Feb 15, 2019 at 09:34 AM.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 02:51 PM   #3
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

HD598 - Original Beige
HD598SE - Original in black
HD598CS - Closed back version
HD598SR - Updated headband with inline remote and mic cable

You can also buy the new remote/mic cable separately and use them on any of the HD598 line.

HD599 seems to be a HD598 facelift, maybe with double binned drivers.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 15, 2019, 04:26 PM   #4
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I have the sens hd650s. You can get the mass drop version for 200 if you really want the best you can get for 200.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Och
ATI Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I have the sens hd650s. You can get the mass drop version for 200 if you really want the best you can get for 200.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx
Damn, thats a steal, just ordered two pairs.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 06:01 PM   #6
bob saget
Stage 5 ultra-athiest

bob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputationbob saget has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I got the 598 CS ones. They're pretty great. The ear pads do get worn out after years of use and my ears/hair is pretty oily and gross. I've started wearing them over hoods or toques and so far it's looking so much better
Too predictable.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 08:50 PM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

HD 600 /thread.

There's a reason it's been in production, unchanged for 15 years.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 09:28 PM   #8
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

They are also quite expensive and typically over the $300 price point the OP mentioned.

For under $300, the HD 300 Pro is a good option:

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-300-pro
Mahjik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:06 PM   #9
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
They are also quite expensive and typically over the $300 price point the OP mentioned.

For under $300, the HD 300 Pro is a good option:

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-300-pro
Shipped and sold by from amazon $299. They've been easy to get under $300 for about a year~ now.

https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Op.../dp/B00004SY4H
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:44 PM   #10
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

I am aware they're on sale on Amazon at the moment. That is why I said "typically", i.e. not always guaranteed.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 09:16 AM   #11
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I briefly owned a pair of HD300 pros because of the neutrality claims. I was not a fan, and replaced them with the Audio Technica R70x. Would choose the HD650 over the HD600. The HD599 are also a good buy.

In my opinion the 650 and 599 are much better than the HD800s. Those things have an annoying 2K-4K Hz spike (i.e. the frequencies our ears are most sensitive to). The R70x are leagues better than the HD800s simply because they don't modify their input signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:

Last edited by metroidfox : Feb 17, 2019 at 09:22 AM.
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2019, 09:45 AM   #12
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
I briefly owned a pair of HD300 pros because of the neutrality claims. I was not a fan, and replaced them with the Audio Technica R70x.
Those really aren't even in the same class of headphones. The R70x would be more comparable to the HD600's.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:01 AM   #13
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Price-wise, yes. However, the marketing material said they were based on the signature of the HD 250 Linear--one of their old flagship monitoring headphones.

In reality, the driver housing seemed to be the thing that let them down. Definitely not suitable for monitoring.
Quote:
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:09 AM   #14
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Price-wise, yes. However, the marketing material said they were based on the signature of the HD 250 Linear--one of their old flagship monitoring headphones.

In reality, the driver housing seemed to be the thing that let them down. Definitely not suitable for monitoring.
Even spec wise, they aren't close. Granted, a majority of it will depend on what is delivering the sound but the HD300 Pro and R70x are different levels of hardware price and spec-wise. I'm not saying they shouldn't be suggested, but I am suggesting the result of the comparison between the two should be expected.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:43 PM   #15
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Even spec wise, they aren't close. Granted, a majority of it will depend on what is delivering the sound but the HD300 Pro and R70x are different levels of hardware price and spec-wise. I'm not saying they shouldn't be suggested, but I am suggesting the result of the comparison between the two should be expected.

Yeah. Was hoping otherwise, but lesson learned I guess.
Quote:
Quote:
Old Feb 18, 2019, 03:05 AM   #16
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Not particularly interested in Sennheiser, but didn't want to start another thread. What are your thoughts on these:

Keep in mind these are dollarydoos, not USD.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/...67-ATH-MSR7-BK

or

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/...3238-ATH-A990Z

I have the predecessor to these ^ and they're good, but I've heard good thing about MSR7's for the money (and they're cheaper). Or should I just grab Sennheiser?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 08:51 AM   #17
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I have the predecessor to these ^ and they're good, but I've heard good thing about MSR7's for the money (and they're cheaper). Or should I just grab Sennheiser?
The specs between the two are pretty close. The latter will be able to take more power driving them without distorting. If you are just using a sound card to drive them, you likely won't notice the difference between them. MSR7 is a little lighter as well.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 08:01 PM   #18
Och
ATI Champion

Speaking of all the headphones, isn't it weird how windows doesn't even let you chose headphones when configuring sound devices - different speaker setups. They even have Dolby Atmos and Windows Sonic for headphones, but no way to explicitly select headphones.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 07:32 PM   #19
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

A good video for those looking to pick up some new headphones and aren't sure of the various options out there.