Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:16 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
FCK Joebama/HeelsUpHarris

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Fry's Electronics chain closes Nationwide.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sha...ht%3famphtml=1

A shame, I liked wandering their stores but I honestly haven't been to one since covid began.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:23 AM   #2
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah Ars Technica is reporting the same:

https://arstechnica.com/information-...ll-soon-close/

Last time I was there I bought an ASUS router. Pretty sure mom picked up her desktop there too. Appreciated the huge selection there as their stores were usually 2x the size of Best Buy or Microcenter (which I think are the only 2 left now?)
dodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:42 AM   #3
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

damn, I blame Amazon... and myself....
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 24, 2021, 09:01 AM   #4
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Have not set foot in 10 years or so.

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 09:17 AM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Used to love going there during my lunch hour when I worked in San Jose and Santa Clara. You had to know exactly what you were looking for and not need to ask for help, because there was never any help to be found.

The other problem with them is often the only items on the shelf were returns that had been repackaged, often with missing parts.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 09:19 AM   #6
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
The other problem with them is often the only items on the shelf were returns that had been repackaged, often with missing parts.
This, and sometimes defective items.

yoz
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:20 AM   #7
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
This, and sometimes defective items.
And then the lady with the inch-long nails tries to tell you that it must have been you that bent the pins on a processor someone else already messed up and returned....
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:11 AM   #8
KAC
:rolleyes:

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Been downhill as far as I can remember.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:11 AM   #9
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
That's terrible practice. Other stores do the same thing but they call it Open Box and sell it at a discount.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:13 AM   #10
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
That's terrible practice. Other stores do the same thing but they call it Open Box and sell it at a discount.
To be fair, Fry's did mark the item as a return and often sold it at a discount, but they rarely audited the contents of the box or confirmed that the item wasn't defective before putting it back on the shelf.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:46 AM   #11
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

They have been dead in the water for better part of a year now with basically nothing in stock. Went to one before the pandemic and they literally had nothing on the shelves.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:58 AM   #12
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
And then the lady with the inch-long nails tries to tell you that it must have been you that bent the pins on a processor someone else already messed up and returned....
, so true....

yoz
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:59 AM   #13
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
To be fair, Fry's did mark the item as a return and often sold it at a discount, but they rarely audited the contents of the box or confirmed that the item wasn't defective before putting it back on the shelf.
Yeah and that's all the stock they had so never went back. MicroCenter kicked their ass.

yoz
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:09 PM   #14
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Yeah and that's all the stock they had so never went back. MicroCenter kicked their ass.
I like MicroCenter but now they are so far away from me. Is just Best Buy now.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:11 PM   #15
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I'm spoiled as we have 2 in ATL.

yoz
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:30 PM   #16
xCLAVEx

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Microcenter isn't that far if you are in Houston. I live 20 miles from the one there and it's still within driving range for me.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:50 PM   #17
dodger
Doggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Microcenter isn't that far if you are in Houston. I live 20 miles from the one there and it's still within driving range for me.
I suppose if Microcenter has something really good going on I will make the drive down there but otherwise the Best Buy is a lot closer even if it's in a crappy corner of the shopping center here. I do hope MicroCenter isn't having any problems, haven't stepped foot inside in forever. Best Buy seems still do CC deals, got 5% cash back last quarter with Discover IT for in store purchase. Mom's Amex Plat still has a $50(x2) off til June but you have to order online and ship it, no in store delivery.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 01:02 PM   #18
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
I suppose if Microcenter has something really good going on I will make the drive down there but otherwise the Best Buy is a lot closer even if it's in a crappy corner of the shopping center here. I do hope MicroCenter isn't having any problems, haven't stepped foot inside in forever. Best Buy seems still do CC deals, got 5% cash back last quarter with Discover IT for in store purchase. Mom's Amex Plat still has a $50(x2) off til June but you have to order online and ship it, no in store delivery.
CPU - mobo combos nobody beats MC in price.

yoz
Old Feb 24, 2021, 01:16 PM   #19
xCLAVEx

Quote:
I go to microcenter frequently. It actually is on my way home from work if I take 610-59, drive right past it (though they are doing some construction right now and they make you have to skip two exits ). Everytime I go they are always super busy, especially on the weekends.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 01:21 PM   #20
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Wish we had a MC in Montana. Best we can do is a Best Buy in town, but even that is a small one.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 01:51 PM   #21
UberBeavis
This is SO much fun!!!!

UberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialUberBeavis is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I miss the wacky decor of the Burbank one (themed to 1950s Alien Invasion movies) and the Woodland Hills on (Alice in Wonderland)

I also miss running in to Ronnie James Dio at the Woodland Hills location now and then.

Last time I went in one, was the Woodland Hills one in 2018- and it looked like it was already shutting down. A LOT of empty shelves.

See more of my horrible photos, and a few good ones here.
UberBeavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 02:11 PM   #22
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

It shouldn't be surprising, as they've been closing stores for years, and they've been having difficulty keeping their stores stocked the last 2 years... lots of times I've gone in and shelves are mostly empty.

Too bad, 'cause I live in the Fry's capital of the world. Seriously, I'm in easy driving distance to like 5 of them. They're all themed too. There's a Mayan temple store, a Wild West story, an Egyption-themed store, etc. Super fun stuff.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 02:50 PM   #23
Koenig
He wo hitte

Koenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete stranger

I went to a Polynesian themed one either outside of San Deigo or in Los Angeles in summer of 2019 and it was 70-90% empty shelves.

Only other one I've been to is one in Houston several times. We never had any here in Florida.

屁をひつて尻窄め "Breaking wind, closing buttocks" - Japanese Proverb

www.angelman.org
www.cureangelman.org
Koenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 03:31 PM   #24
dodger
Doggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
It shouldn't be surprising, as they've been closing stores for years, and they've been having difficulty keeping their stores stocked the last 2 years... lots of times I've gone in and shelves are mostly empty.

Too bad, 'cause I live in the Fry's capital of the world. Seriously, I'm in easy driving distance to like 5 of them. They're all themed too. There's a Mayan temple store, a Wild West story, an Egyption-themed store, etc. Super fun stuff.
Wow, most of the ones in TX are un-themed and plain. When I was in the DFW area I did visit the cattle ranch themed one a few times before they opened plainer ones nearby (bought most of my anime DVD's there). Supposedly the Fry's near me was Houston themed but I never noticed anything other than maybe wallpapering. The cattle ranch one had life sized cow models overlooking the entrance. Yeah sorta sad to see them go under.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 03:51 PM   #25
xCLAVEx

Quote:
Wow, most of the ones in TX are un-themed and plain. When I was in the DFW area I did visit the cattle ranch themed one a few times before they opened plainer ones nearby (bought most of my anime DVD's there). Supposedly the Fry's near me was Houston themed but I never noticed anything other than maybe wallpapering. The cattle ranch one had life sized cow models overlooking the entrance. Yeah sorta sad to see them go under.
That's not true. The one at 59 was a houston history themed (though admittedly it was pretty lame). The other one near the airport had fake oil derriks and an oil pipeline going around the complex, so that was neat. But the best one I saw was in Clear Lake, that one was NASA themed and the whole building, even the outside, was set up like a space station. It had astronaughts, spaceshuttle mockups, even the snack bar was set up like walking into an airlock.

Will miss it.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 03:59 PM   #26
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

If I understand correctly, the reason why Fry's had bare shelves over the past couple of years is they started selling items on consignment from the manufacturer, rather than buying stock wholesale from the manufacturer. As you can imagine, many manufacturers didn't like doing business that way, so they refused to give Fry's their inventory.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 04:11 PM   #27
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So sounds like the writing has been on the wall for this for a long time. I guess I won't let it ruin my day now. Never been to a Fry's but remember that's how many of you guys got PC hardware and I was jealous because my CompUSA had just closed. Somehow didn't know about Microcenter until much later.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2021, 04:36 PM   #28
dodger
Doggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
So sounds like the writing has been on the wall for this for a long time. I guess I won't let it ruin my day now. Never been to a Fry's but remember that's how many of you guys got PC hardware and I was jealous because my CompUSA had just closed. Somehow didn't know about Microcenter until much later.
I remember CompUSA! Had one of those up in DFW before they closed up shop. Munkus is right, they went to the consignment model and started going down hill from there. What I liked about Fry's is they would have a wall full of motherboards so you can actually get a better gauge if that oversized cooler will fit over the CPU socket or like 4 rows of prebuilt PC's (about 20 units) with all sorts of monitors connected on display.

xCLAVEx, wish I'd known about the ClearLake store. I visited the Irving and Plano stores when I was up at DFW and they didn't seem to have any themes, only the cattle ranch store down near Garland stood out. Yeah the Houston themed store did not stand out in any way really.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 05:34 PM   #29
xCLAVEx

Some images of the NASA one;

Old Feb 24, 2021, 05:54 PM   #30
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

The worst thing is that Frys was the last brick-and-morter retailer that sold eletronic components, like capacitors, resisters, little switches and buttons, etc. Now I guess you have to buy them from Amazon. Sucks.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro