Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Nov 4, 2002, 04:25 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zyphria
Radeon R600

Zyphria is still being judged by the masses

Default Try to setup your display adapter with standard VGA driver before running setup....

"Setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adapter with standard VGA driver before running setup."

I recently tried to install Windows XP SP1 and it just about forced me to format and reinstall, but I managed to get by with a reinstall.

Now under Device Manager I don't have ANY Display drivers and I can't install the drivers because of above message.

When I go into Display properties it looks to be running something called VGAsave which allows me to display okay, but it isn't a display driver.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 12:57 PM   #2
b-hup

b-hup is still being judged by the masses

Default Same problem

Video: Radeon 7000 AGP

I had some problems with Windows XP and did a repair from the Installation CD.

Upon bootup, the Radeon card was unaccelerated. It does not show up in the list of Display Adaptors. But Display Properties show 'vgasave' running. It does not give me the option to reinstall or roll back the drivers or select another driver.

Could not uninstall ATI drivers. Attempting to reinstall drivers resulted in the message: 'Try to setup your display adapter with standard VGA driver before running setup....' which is not possible.

I used the Foolproof Method of uninstalling ATI drivers outlined in this forum and wiped out every trace of ATI drivers from the Windows installation.

Rebooted.

On startup, the system did not ask for drivers for the video card. The same condition exists -- the card does not show up in Display Adaptors in the Device Mananger and Display Proerties still shows 'vgasave' but does not give me the option to do anything. Attempting to re-install ATI drivers gives the same error message: 'Try to setup your display adapter with standard VGA driver before running setup....'

Is there a way of somehow unlinking this 'vgasave' mode from the video card so that the system can recognize the card as freshly installed so that it will give me a chance to install the drivers???

B-HUP
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:27 AM   #3
wm_cheng
Radeon R100

wm_cheng is still being judged by the masses

Unhappy Please help, I have same problem

I have followed all the clean uninstall procedures and it still asks me to try again once I install standard VGA drivers which I cannot seem to do either. I have erase all traces of the ATI drivers 4 times now and I still get this message. I have F8 boot into "Enable VGA Mode" twice now and still the same. I had sucessfully installed the Catalyst 3 drivers last night, but had to uninstall them for debugging, now that my original problem is solved, I can't seem to reinstall them back. Do I have to do a repair from the WinXP CD?

Thanks,
William
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:47 AM   #4
wm_cheng
Radeon R100

wm_cheng is still being judged by the masses

Because it errored in the middle of the installation (asking me to try again with standard vga drivers installed) it leaves a entry in the add/remove software section that when I click to remove the drivers - it just gives me an error message