Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mrpleeb
Radeon R700

Mrpleeb is still being judged by the masses

Default Consolization of pc games

This month has been a frustrating one for us pc gamers, with the release of Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 being dissapointments.But after buying Crysis 2 for pc yesterday it really frustrates me to see what developers are doing with the medium.This dumbing down of the product for mass market has got to stop, i want my games for pc like they used to be.To me it just reeks of a quick buck and lack of a real commitment to delivering a a + quality product that pc gamers really deserve.

p.s... arghh i miss the quick save feature {crysis 2}

Last edited by Mrpleeb : Mar 23, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Mrpleeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:18 PM   #2
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpleeb View Post
p.s... arghh i miss the quick save feature
You have it in Dragon Age 2. Don't use it though, it will invest your machine with consolitis, or something
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
This month has been a frustrating one for us pc gamers, with the release of Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 being dissapointments.But after buying Crysis 2 for pc yesterday it really frustrates me to see what developers are doing with the medium.This dumbing down of the product for mass market has got to stop, i want my games for pc like they used to be.To me it just reeks of a quick buck and lack of a real commitment to delivering a a + quality product that pc gamers really deserve.

you sound surprise.. consoles are the thorn in gaming. But you know what.. I haven't upgraded my graphics card (8800 gts) in 4 years . And I can still play games .
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:27 PM   #4
Debonair
Radeon Evergreen

Debonair is still being judged by the masses

yeah i'm on a 260 GT card and have no reason to upgrade just yet for PC gaming.

To be honest, i've not seen graphics on my PC like I have on my PS3. Graphically the PS3, some games, surpass the PC, a 4 year old system !

I'll probably upgrade for Skyrim and Guild Wars II and Rage. The future isnt bleak, you also have Homefront and Brink.

D
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:39 PM   #5
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Skyrim and BF3 will start turning the tide once again. Those glorified toaster ovens have had their day.
AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
Skyrim and BF3 will start turning the tide once again. Those glorified toaster ovens have had their day.
Isn't the xbox 360 the lead platform for skyrim?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:00 PM   #7
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Corsair MP510 480GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:00 PM   #8
AllexxisF1
I'm Back.

AllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersAllexxisF1 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Crap.

AllexxisF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:05 PM   #9
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:24 PM   #10
Scart
Radeon Northern Islands

Scart can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyScart can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Mods. Mods. And once more - mods.
Scart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:29 PM   #11
TheScott2K
I'M OUT OF ORDER?

TheScott2K is still being judged by the masses

Old Mar 23, 2011, 05:39 PM   #12
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
This dumbing down of the product for mass market has got to stop, i want my games for pc like they used to be.
well then buy 100,000 copies of each pc game instead of just buying 1 copy, so the developers won't dumb things down because of the console versions selling more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:14 PM   #13
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scart View Post
Mods. Mods. And once more - mods.
Can't fight it so, yeah mods are the only answer. Wait for tweaks and mods to turn most consolized games back to more proper PC standards.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:16 PM   #14
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Press "Start" to Enter
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 06:23 PM   #15
zodiak
YAWK YAWK YAWK

zodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Did you miss Oblivion?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:08 PM   #16
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
In the office (my day job is a graphics programmer) we've been kicking around some thoughts and we've come to the conclusion that unless MS do something the next generation of consoles will, if not kill out right, leave PC gaming for anything outside of MMO, RTS, TBS and 'facebook games' on life support.

Right now the PC has a Mhz and GPU advantage however is suffers from moving hardware targets and a high draw call overhead. The former makes it a pain to dev for (I've spent the last couple of weeks now working around hardware/driver bugs for our game) and the latter we have to soak up and just deal with due to the single thread Mhz advantage PCs still have.

Jump forward 3 years which is when most people seem to think the next consoles will hit/have it; consoles will have more and FASTER cores (and with the Mhz race over PCs wont be out pacing them), DX11+ GPUs as standard and the ability to construct draw lists over multiple threads thus making submission/draw faster meaning more draw calls and more stuff on screen and looking better.

Now, unless MS and the IHVs do something the PC is likely to still be restricted to single threaded draw calls (right now DX11's multi-threaded command list construction either slows things down on AMD hardware or effectively loses you a CPU core on NV hardware) and suddenly regardless of how fast your GPU is the consoles are blowing you out of the water draw call wise meaning the PC can't match a console in 'stuff on screen'.

We are already kinda at this point, the PC is only 'saved' by having the Mhz advantage but unless something changes that advantage will go away pretty quickly.

(Right now MS are blaming the IHVs and the IHVs are blaming MS and there is crazy talk about ditching DX and going 'to the metal' which I don't think anyone has really thought about as hard as they should have done. In short, it's a bit of a mess...)
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:24 PM   #17
TheScott2K
I'M OUT OF ORDER?

TheScott2K is still being judged by the masses

Wow, what an over-played, beaten-to-death, uninteresting topic with an OP completely devoid of insight or novel analysis.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:26 PM   #18
genci88
lololololol

genci88 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

You can't save in Crysis 2? I mean I knew the graphics are worse than Crysis 1 so that the XBox could handle them, but they're now catering to retards by removing the save anywhere feature?

But I guess that's to be expected, considering that it's an FPS made for gamepads...

- The hardest thing about getting a Mac is telling your parents that you're gay.

- If I had the choice between being gay and owning a Mac, I would rather be gay, because if I owned a Mac I would be both gay and own a horrible computer.

- Imagine a giant cock flying towards your mouth, and there's nothing you can do about it. And you're like "Oh man, I'm gonna have to suck this thing", and you brace yourself to suck this giant cock. But then, at the last moment, it changes trajectory and hits you in the eye. You think to yourself "Well, at least I got that out of the way", but then the giant cock rears back and stabs your eye again, and again, and again. Eventually, this giant cock is penetrating your gray matter, and you begin to lose control of your motor skills. That's when the giant cock slaps you across the cheek, causing you to fall out of your chair. Unable to move and at your most vulnerable, the giant cock finally lodges itself in your anus, where it rests comfortably for 4, maybe 5 hours. That's what using Mac OSX is like.
genci88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:42 PM   #19
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

hordaktheman is still being judged by the masses

^ You mean like Far Cry? The (initial) lack of quick saves was the only thing that made it difficult so I don't know how quick saves would make a game more 'hardcore'.

Crysis also had gamepad support and Crysis 2 has the exact same controls.
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 07:49 PM   #20
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Kinda makes you wish Microsoft had waited/delayed the XBox 360 to 2008 so it could have had a Radeon 3870 or 4870/90 GPU instead so that the minimum requirements would have been, well much higher doesn't it?

PS word is Microsoft is waiting until 2015 for the next gen...

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Akumajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:32 PM   #21
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yes consolity and simplicity is strong on the AAA PC game market now, but theres always the indie game developers to make me have hope on PC gaming.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:03 AM   #22
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i bought my self a 480 gtx 3 months ago at 500 bucks US.

i feel kinda lame to do this upgrade, solding the 4890 for the 480 gtx , which cost me about 500 bucks.

amazing i have a 480gtx just for PHotoshop, Web browsing. And really 0 hours of gaming since i bought it.

so in my opinion, it is kinda a waste to do any upgrade to the pc nowaday, Your dont' need anything above a 8800gtx and a core2dual setup, since game itself is really not that interesting anymore.
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png

Last edited by wc326 : Mar 24, 2011 at 12:08 AM.
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:00 AM   #23
abtomat74
Radeon R300

abtomat74 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argoon1981 View Post
Yes consolity and simplicity is strong on the AAA PC game market now, but theres always the indie game developers to make me have hope on PC gaming.
Right, you mean like Crytek?
abtomat74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 03:02 AM   #24
Chuck
How's the flow tonight?

Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Chuck once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc326 View Post
i bought my self a 480 gtx 3 months ago at 500 bucks US.

i feel kinda lame to do this upgrade, solding the 4890 for the 480 gtx , which cost me about 500 bucks.

amazing i have a 480gtx just for PHotoshop, Web browsing. And really 0 hours of gaming since i bought it.

so in my opinion, it is kinda a waste to do any upgrade to the pc nowaday, Your dont' need anything above a 8800gtx and a core2dual setup, since game itself is really not that interesting anymore.
Very true, I would've never considered getting a new computer if my desktop wasn't beginning to get screwy on me. Radeon 4850 512MB runs every game I throw at it perfectly at 1080p.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:56 AM   #25
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

DICE. BF3. PC gaming rebirth.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:17 AM   #26
Nerdd
Radeon R700

Nerdd is still being judged by the masses

I r PC gamer. I iz smart?

Dumbing down is not equal to consolization. It's just dumbing down for the ADD generation. That's it. WoW has been dumbed down and it's a PC title.
Nerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:33 AM   #27
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

is this supposed to be the best looking game on PC todate?? IMO even COD, looks tons better
THis is from PC version

CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:34 AM   #28
acidosmosis
Mispacio Rodriguez

acidosmosis is still being judged by the masses

Don't buy games that are console ports. Pirate them.

It's what they deserve.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:45 AM   #29
friskyolive
Looking down on you!

friskyolive is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidosmosis View Post
Don't buy games that are console ports. Pirate them.

It's what they deserve.
Thank goodness for pirates..........I've understood/endorsed this for awhile now. Spending thousands on uber componants to play games and/or in combination with photo suite and other applications, really puts us in this position where one feels cornered to commit crime..It goes hand in hand, no? But, playing it safe, is where one needs to accept the corrupt world of humanity.............get your hotdogs HERE. only here

[CPU]: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM [MOBO]: ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard[GPU]: Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 In Crossfire [SOUND]: Corsair Gaming Audio Series CA-HS1A Headset 50MM Drivers Circumaural Earcups and the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI TITANIUM Fatality PRO with Yamaha 5590 Receiver[MEMORY]: OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV4GK) DDR3 1600MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [MONITOR]: DELL U2410, 24W, OPT/FPWS,CUS [HD]: Western Digital 320GB and 1 TB Black Edition [Optical Drives]: LG GSA-4167B Dual Layer DVD±R/RW Drive [PSU]: Corsair HX 1000 watt [OS]: Win7 64-bit Professional On a Antec 1200 Full Tower Case.
friskyolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:13 AM   #30
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtomat74 View Post
Right, you mean like Crytek?
No, i have a different concept about indie developers them you, to me even if Crytek is a independent developer imo it is not a indie developer the same with Valve, to me indie teams are ones with small teams and budgets, teams like Zero Point Software, Wolfire Games, Frictional Games, Unknown Worlds, etc.

It should exist a distinction, because is not fair for the small teams to have a giant AAA developer being called indie.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote