Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Professional Graphics Discussion
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Professional Graphics Discussion Discussion and technical support forum for ATIs lineup of professional level graphics cards

Old Oct 1, 2003, 03:22 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Okio
leh ar~ cheap jing!

Okio is still being judged by the masses

Default Rage3d FireGl Users.

how many of the firegl users are there out who vist this board?
surely not that many.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 03:45 PM   #2
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

KingRoLo is still being judged by the masses

Thats true, i would assume that the vast majority have an ATI gaming card but i for one have an ATI gaming card at home and use a FireGL at work for my Studio Max work.

I can see alot of outsiders being able to use this forum for exactly the same purpose as me, trouble is weve got to get the word out so i would greatly appreciate everyone to spread the word because to be honest there isnt really a decent unified source for help with ATI workstation cards, and nV news's workstation forum seems to be quite popular so theres no reason this cant be the same.

RoLo
Old Oct 2, 2003, 01:51 AM   #3
infowar
Banned

infowar is still being judged by the masses

wowza, it's a real forum now!

good work, rolo.

i have a fire gl 4 but it is out of the computer and im about to get motivated enough to RMA it since i was getting artifacts. once i get it back i will frequent this forum. there is a serious lack of information on the internet about the firegl cards, 4 especially.
maybe someone can move my firegl4 mini-review thread here from non-ati forum (please)
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 3, 2003, 08:52 AM   #4
Dem
Radeon R520

Dem is still being judged by the masses

Default re: Fire GL

Hiya. Do any of the new Fire GL cards play games well, as well as 2D/3D graphic editing/CAD ? IF so can you recommend one?

Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:40 PM   #5
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

Hi Dem, my FireGL 8800 plays games very nicely, in fact i actually think its just a modified version of the Radeon 8500 but with driver support written specifically for desktop applications. I dont think its worth dropping that amount of cash unless you can see yourself doing content creation mostly and gaming as a part time thang.

RoLo
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:56 PM   #6
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

Heres a nice but fairly old comparison between the following cards:

NVIDIA Quadro DCC
NVIDIA Quadro 4 550 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro 4 900 XGL
NVIDIA Quadro 4 980 XGL
ATI FireGL 8800
ATI FireGL 8700
3Dlabs Wildcat VP870
Matrox Parhelia

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...2-3dsmax5.html

RoLo
Old Oct 3, 2003, 02:51 PM   #7
Dem
Radeon R520

Dem is still being judged by the masses

Default re:GL

Thanks for input . How does the 8800 compare to the 9800 Pro? Also I can't figure out why my Signature isn't showing up.

Old Oct 3, 2003, 03:59 PM   #8
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

Good point, im not actually sure, i would of thought that the 9800 Special Driver holds up fairer than the 9800 D3D driver with complex geometry.

and your sig appears to be fine m8

RoLo
Old Oct 3, 2003, 04:22 PM   #9
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Since fireGl is open gl based is there any performance increasements in games? Or is its sole person for apps that use opengl base?
Old Oct 3, 2003, 04:31 PM   #10
KingRoLo
Riddin Spinnaz

I thnk both and the normal and certified drivers will accelerate games as normal, my 8800 at work runs all games fine, though i dont know how any of the other better workstation cards perform in games. Though i would love to know if anyone has had experince with them.

Hope thats of some help.

RoLo
Old Oct 5, 2003, 12:12 PM   #11
Shloppy
ATI FanBoi

Shloppy is still being judged by the masses

The unified drivers for the FireGL line offer pretty great OpenGL performance. Compared to the Catalysts, games such as Q3 run faster, but Direct3D is slower. Compatibility wise, most games run fine using these drivers. On a sad note though, I have to say that the FireGL drivers are not as stable to that of the Catalyst and offer a paltry control panel for configuration.

However, using modified Catalyst 3.7's, OpenGL performance drops compared to the proper unified drivers, but Direct3D is faster. Using these modified 3.7's I've experienced great all round performance and compatibiltywise, no problems running the latest games whatsoever.

Last edited by Shloppy : Jan 21, 2004 at 06:24 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 12:21 PM   #12
Shloppy
ATI FanBoi

Shloppy is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Oh and it's great to see a section for FireGL
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:43 PM   #13
Akumajo
White Devil Bastard

Akumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete strangerAkumajo once held a door open for a complete stranger

Wow finally us Fire GL users have a board.

woo hoo

"Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
If anything there's just still too many guilible people in the fanbase willing to accept this garbage star wars disney/Kennedy edition."

Helghast... till the end of days!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruxcT6LEVzk Disney Star Wars SUCKS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESGXTFFZXM Kaz PTVD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogMXzbz9js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--rU3Wq3WU My Bugatti V
Old Oct 5, 2003, 11:42 PM   #14
infowar
Banned

infowar is still being judged by the masses

Lightbulb Re: re: Fire GL

Quote:
Originally posted by Dem
Hiya. Do any of the new Fire GL cards play games well, as well as 2D/3D graphic editing/CAD ? IF so can you recommend one?

for my sofar limited experience with my first and only firegl and running games on it see part 1 of my mini review here:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33708002

it is nowhere near professional or complete, but if it helps you out it could use a bump
from my experience with the ibm chipset based card and drivers it is good enough for me since i am doing alot more 3d building than gaming lately (trying to build my own little world. think like the guy's model town hobby in the beetlejuice film.) every opengl game i have tried has worked flawlessly with amazing rendering quality that knocked my socks off being used to quake 3 with the 8500. the 2d quality is also amazing. the components used were surely the best quality at the time. unfortunately most directx games have atleast some type of problem. with my favorate directx game, civ3 won't even start

PS: i just filled out the RMA form and am awaiting further instruction from ATI customer care. their support with my faulty product even tho it has been refurbished has been amazing to say the least. now everyone pray for me they are fresh out of firegl4 replacements and have to send me one of those sgi cards with 64 r300 chips
also, Okio i like the change to your sig, mate. figuring out how the world works now eh? good for you.

Last edited by infowar : Oct 6, 2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 03:38 AM   #15
R550?_G550!

R550?_G550! is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Actually, I bought a FireGL X1-128 half year ago, It cost me around $425 USD
Old Dec 24, 2003, 04:03 PM   #16
{Sniping}Waste
Most hated DOD player.

{Sniping}Waste is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Im using a Fire GL X1 hardware moded to a 9700 PRO and the cat will install after the hardware mod.
Old Jan 7, 2004, 06:20 PM   #17
Andy2000

Andy2000 is still being judged by the masses

well i've got a firegl 8800, but i am having some problems with some of the newer games such as call of duty, whenever it tries to do the graphics for a shellshock animation wher the screen goes all blury and stuff, it crashes to desktop, and also i have to start the game in safe mode before changing the graphics to what i want before the game will even run! i tried looking for some way to fix this, but i havent had much luck so far...
Old Jan 8, 2004, 03:36 PM   #18
theCADman

theCADman is still being judged by the masses

The new drivers were just posted a few days ago try that to fix the problem. Also i haven't noticed the D3D performance drop that everyone is saying. What direct x version is everyone using?
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:13 PM   #19
MercenaryForHir

MercenaryForHir is still being judged by the masses

Just thought I'd post a reply.

I've got a FireGL T2, and it's suffering the "pisspoor D3D" issue. I haven't managed to install Catalysts on it yet either.

Does anyone have the time/knowledge to write up a guide? I've seen some for older 3.x series, but why have a DX9 card if you can't have DX9 drivers?

- M4H
Old Aug 25, 2004, 10:49 AM   #20
billou2k
Radeon R200

billou2k is still being judged by the masses

I am interested too!
If someone can explain (even quickly) how to get the catalysts (modified?) installed on fireGL cards..
I've read about flashing bios etc... is that the only way? where can I find the tools and the bios for that?
Typically a firegL X1 could be turned into a 9700pro/ 9800 pro ?
Radeon8500LE
SB audigy player
Old Aug 29, 2004, 07:44 AM   #21
montivfx

montivfx is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation

I use a Fire GL X1-256 card and visit this site often...

One issue I have been havin as of late is Windows XP is locking up and crashing since I did a clean reinstall of XP and installed SP2 .... Sometimes the crash is the screen dumping down to 640x480 - 16 color --- and XP telling me the ATI driver crashed.... .So I am fairly sure that the driver is the issue hehe.... However I have no hopes of ATI getting around to putting an updated driver up anytime soon....