Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 17, 2019, 02:21 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Would have been cheaper to move to Canada for a year and use their universal healthcare.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 02:23 PM   #92
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Would have been cheaper to move to Canada for a year and use their universal healthcare.
I hadn't considered that, but considering how time-sensitive cancer treatments are, I'm not sure that would've been a viable option.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 02:30 PM   #93
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Start a go-fund me page and all of Rage will contribute, I know I will.
Same here.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 17, 2019, 02:31 PM   #94
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That’s insane. My mother has stage4 breast cancer, lesions on breast, lung, and liver, significantly older, multiple swollen lymph nodes and has never had to stay at the hospital after receiving chemotherapy. That’s really strange. Not sure how to take that one ..

The issue is that because treatment needs to start so soon, second opinions are hard to get. Just keep in mind that certain doctors will try to force treatment that they have researched themselves on their patients. Second opinions are always a great idea.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 02:36 PM   #95
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
That’s insane. My mother has stage4 breast cancer, lesions on breast, lung, and liver, significantly older, multiple swollen lymph nodes and has never had to stay at the hospital after receiving chemotherapy. That’s really strange. Not sure how to take that one ..
Yeah, I've never heard of that either. What the oncologist told us is that they want him to be admitted because of his age and the intensity of the treatment. Apparently it is known to dehydrate and remove electrolytes, so he'll be getting those replaced via his IV. He won't feel well enough to drink enough to replace the salt and magnesium that is going to be lost. Apparently it's fairly common to admit pediatric cancer patients rather than treat them as out-patients.

That's what I'm told. All of this is supposedly coming from the Denver oncology board, not from our specific oncologist.

Right now I feel like I'm drinking through a fire hose. Way too much information and I'm not absorbing half of it. We have a case worker who is assigned to us, and my wife is on the phone with her almost constantly.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 02:43 PM   #96
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I hadn't considered that, but considering how time-sensitive cancer treatments are, I'm not sure that would've been a viable option.
I know man, wasn't being serious. Just trying to express how ridiculous I think the costs are.

Hang in there. Hopefully everything ends up going smoother than they're appearing to be.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 03:34 PM   #97
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Thanks again everyone. You guys are amazing.
We're all with you and your family.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2019, 05:06 PM   #98
methimpikehoses
transmigrator

methimpikehoses is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yeah, I've never heard of that either. What the oncologist told us is that they want him to be admitted because of his age and the intensity of the treatment. Apparently it is known to dehydrate and remove electrolytes, so he'll be getting those replaced via his IV. He won't feel well enough to drink enough to replace the salt and magnesium that is going to be lost. Apparently it's fairly common to admit pediatric cancer patients rather than treat them as out-patients.

That's what I'm told. All of this is supposedly coming from the Denver oncology board, not from our specific oncologist.

Right now I feel like I'm drinking through a fire hose. Way too much information and I'm not absorbing half of it. We have a case worker who is assigned to us, and my wife is on the phone with her almost constantly.
I remember that feeling. Hopefully the case worker can assist with getting some second opinions as to the best course of treatment. Also note there are clinical trials at various cancer centers around the country that may allow you to get treatment at greatly reduced rates (or free), although considering that your son's situation seems fairly well understood in terms of treatment, it may not be something you want to pursue.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 05:12 PM   #99
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:

Okay good, as long as you’re in touch with the cancer board and not just the specific doctor. My mom speaks with the Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in NYC about her treatment in order to get different opinions. They recommended an immunotherapy treatment to help her white blood cell count that the doctor didn’t think of apparently.

It’s a lot to take in. When my mom was diagnosed it was crushing .. but staying positive is the most important part. He’s going to be positive now, but chemo can go for years .. my mom has been getting it for 2 1/2 years, and she was super positive for about that first year. It gets a lot tougher as it goes on and wears you down. Focus on keeping it positive and not sinking into the “what if” scenarios.

Wishing you the best and I truly understand what you’re going through. If you ever want to talk feel free to reach out and send me a message, or if you’d like I can send you my phone#, I’m usually available. Message me if anything.

Keeping your son and family in my prayers brotha.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jan 17, 2019, 05:54 PM   #100
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

OMG, usually this is not a hugely threatening condition. I've known two people who've had this.

Best wishes, prayers, positive vibes . . .
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:05 PM   #101
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Sending my well-wishes for a speedy recovery to your son, Munkus. 17 is hell of an age for things to go wrong, and of all things, a testicle. Ouch.

Hope all goes well with the treatment.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2019, 08:31 AM   #102
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Update:
First day of chemo was well tolerated, as expected. By the end of the day he was exhausted and had a headache, but overall felt OK.

I bought him a ROG laptop from Costco to play games with his friends while he's stuck in bed. It's an i7 with 16Gb RAM, 4Gb 1050Ti, 1Tb HDD + 250Gb SSD, 17" 1080p. Sweet machine, but a bit heavy. He's been needing his own laptop for some time, so now's as good a time as any. What's another $900 compared to the $175K we'll owe after it's all done?

Today is going to be consumed by paperwork. I'll be filling out financial aid forms from the hospital, MedicAID, MEDS, and several other institutions I've never heard of but will want $$ from us. Good times.

Brave face:
Old Jan 19, 2019, 08:55 AM   #103
Android1
Radeon Tahiti PRO2

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

It looks as though your son is hanging in there. He will surely enjoy the laptop.

When you said MedicAID, were you referring to Medicaid (government insurance), or another similarly named program? Also, what is MEDS?
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2019, 09:02 AM   #104
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
It looks as though your son is hanging in there. He will surely enjoy the laptop.

When you said MedicAID, were you referring to Medicaid (government insurance), or another similarly named program? Also, what is MEDS?
Yes it's the government insurance program. We won't qualify because our income is too high, but we need to try. I'm not sure what MEDS stands for, but our case worker said it's a program that ignores your income when determining financial assistance approval.

We are in the worst possible situation right now. No insurance. Make too much to qualify for most subsidies. Make too little to afford insurance and pay the medical bills out of pocket. It's another sign of how current laws and the healthcare industry are killing the middle class.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 09:10 AM   #105
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

trying to send good vibes your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2019, 09:13 AM   #106
Android1
Radeon Tahiti PRO2

Android1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete strangerAndroid1 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Yes it's the government insurance program. We won't qualify because our income is too high, but we need to try. I'm not sure what MEDS stands for, but our case worker said it's a program that ignores your income when determining financial assistance approval.

We are in the worst possible situation right now. No insurance. Make too much to qualify for most subsidies. Make too little to afford insurance and pay the medical bills out of pocket. It's another sign of how current laws and the healthcare industry are killing the middle class.
Yep. It's a national disgrace.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 09:55 AM   #107
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
I bought him a ROG laptop from Costco to play games with his friends while he's stuck in bed. It's an i7 with 16Gb RAM, 4Gb 1050Ti, 1Tb HDD + 250Gb SSD, 17" 1080p. Sweet machine, but a bit heavy. He's been needing his own laptop for some time, so now's as good a time as any. What's another $900 compared to the $175K we'll owe after it's all done?
He looks awesome! Good call on the laptop, keep him positive as its a big part of the recovery.

yoz
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:46 AM   #108
kytprice
Autism Awareness

kytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshkytprice kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Back in the 90s when my son was diagnosed it was a completely different world concerning autism than it is today. We went to the best doctors available and tried experimental treatments. Even after having everything pre authorized it was all denied because of one word AUTISM. We found ourselves over one hundred thousand dollars in debt. We lost everything due to bankruptcy. We lived thru it now own our home outright. Made us stronger as a family and showed us what's really important. Munkus if worse comes to worse it's part of a bigger plan. It looks bad but whatever happens with the material possessions it'll work out. I'm praying for you guys and will help financially in any way I can.
kytprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:37 PM   #109
acroig
Master Troll

I think it's time for Rage to show support and help Munkus pay for that laptop for his son. Come on guys, let's all pitch in!

yoz
Old Jan 19, 2019, 01:18 PM   #110
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
I think it's time for Rage to show support and help Munkus pay for that laptop for his son. Come on guys, let's all pitch in!
Old Jan 19, 2019, 04:08 PM   #111
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Thumbs up

Quote:
Update:
First day of chemo was well tolerated, as expected. By the end of the day he was exhausted and had a headache, but overall felt OK.
Sending positive vibes your way!
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:27 AM   #112
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Bump. Show some love Rage!

yoz
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:41 AM   #113
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Bump. Show some love Rage!
Thanks so much acroig. We'll be putting up a GoFundMe soon, so if anyone else is moved to donate they'll be able to do it easily there.

Again, thank you everyone for the thoughts, wishes, prayers, and support.

Here he is playing PUBG on his laptop yesterday. He's pretty popular with the nurses.

Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:50 AM   #114
Android1
Radeon Tahiti PRO2

Are you and your family in Denver, or is your son being treated at a local hospital?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 01:29 PM   #115
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Here he is playing PUBG on his laptop yesterday. He's pretty popular with the nurses.
Gotta find him a good lap desk man, he won't be able to have a positive K : D with a setup like that!

Stay strong man.

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2019, 02:27 PM   #116
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay20016 View Post
Gotta find him a good lap desk man, he won't be able to have a positive K : D with a setup like that!

Stay strong man.
Awesome pic, tell him we're all with him. Good suggestion about the lap desk.

yoz
Old Jan 20, 2019, 05:45 PM   #117
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

A close friend of ours has set up a GoFundMe campaign. I'm not a big fan of asking anyone for anything, but I have to swallow my pride for my son. My wife and I appreciate any donation, no matter how small. If you can't donate, then your words of encouragement and prayers are needed as well.

Thanks again for the support, Rage.

https://www.gofundme.com/kp9bw-help-brendan-beat-cancer
Old Jan 20, 2019, 05:52 PM   #118
Jay20016
Truth Doesn't Make Fact

Jay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJay20016 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Awesome pic, tell him we're all with him. Good suggestion about the lap desk.
I actually stumbled upon one of them at our local Staples and found it awesome since most lap desks assume you're going to use the track pad and not an external mouse. Since I've never really used a laptop as a main machine, I find them to me more trouble than they're worth as I fight what I know should be a few clicks vs. the actual effort to do it. That and the little holder above the pad is a perfect holder for a phone.

On a side note though... if he's an avid gamer, does he have a twitch account? There may be an audience and market for a seemingly outgoing kid kicking ass in games while kicking cancer's ass...

"Don’t waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind. The race is long and, in the end, it’s only with yourself."
Jay20016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:01 AM   #119
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Every day we are bombarded by stories in the media of violence, debauchery, and general douchebaggery by people around the world. It can get pretty depressing if that's all you see. But then I look at the response that people have made to my son's situation. The outpouring of love, kind words, prayers, and donations is overwhelming. It's a good reminder of how awesome people can be.

Thank you again, guys. I don't care what KAC says about you, you're the best.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:05 AM   #120
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Currently saving up to get my own apartment and finally get out of the dorms, but gave what I can. Best wishes my brotha