Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Default Denis Villeneuve officialy on to make Dune

http://www.space.ca/denis-villeneuve-directing-dune/

Heres hoping he manages to blend in both Lynchs film and Jodorowsky's insane vision.

Quote:
Canadian director Denis Villeneuve is on a major sci-fi kick. Following his Best Picture and Best Director Oscar nominations for Arrival and the recently released first look at his Blade Runner sequel, it’s been announced that the filmmaker will undertake a remake of a notoriously difficult project: an adaptation of author Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel, Dune.

David Lynch made the first film version in 1984 following an epic and legendary fail by director Alejandro Jodorowsky a decade earlier (the making of which spawned its own documentary, 2013’s Jodorowsky’s Dune, about the troubled and ambitious production).

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 18.12.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F24 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 18.12.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:54 PM   #2
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

As long as they bring Sting back, I'm totally in!

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:55 PM   #3
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

OK, I just saw the 2014 Dune trailer that wasn't a trailer...wtf was that about? I only know of the 1984 version.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 1, 2017, 06:36 PM   #4
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

There are some movies that should just be left alone... Dune is one of them...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2017, 06:52 PM   #5
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

They should do God Emperor of Dune. More relevant to this time.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:20 PM   #6
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird sings

Go play Emperor Battle for Dune

Harks

Atreides Michael Dorn!

Ordos
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:00 PM   #7
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
OK, I just saw the 2014 Dune trailer that wasn't a trailer...wtf was that about? I only know of the 1984 version.
The Jodoworsky's Dune thang, mebbe? It's a doc about this truly epic-failed attempt to make this outrageously lavish version of Dune in the 70's. Too much LSD (or not enough?)
Old Feb 2, 2017, 05:55 AM   #8
warmonger180
Zionist

warmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete strangerwarmonger180 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
There are some movies that should just be left alone... Dune is one of them...

rgr that.......

nothing in life is real. so, if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus RX580 OC; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; Corsair AX860i psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 10
warmonger180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2017, 07:59 AM   #9
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
The Jodoworsky's Dune thang, mebbe? It's a doc about this truly epic-failed attempt to make this outrageously lavish version of Dune in the 70's. Too much LSD (or not enough?)
I think you are right. It was labeled "Dune 2014 Trailer" yet only showed guys talking about how epic it will be and pictures of outlandish creatures, etc.

I want my 3 minutes back.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 04:11 PM   #10
DadsBestFriend
Radeon R100

DadsBestFriend is still being judged by the masses

So I understand they want to make it a film series, as opposed to a single film? That is the right move IMO, one of the reasons David Lynch's Dune was crap was there was too much material to properly adapt it into one film.
DadsBestFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2017, 04:26 PM   #11
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Hey, without David Lynch we wouldn't have this.

Hope something like that exists in the next.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 04:42 PM   #12
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird singspax knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsBestFriend View Post
So I understand they want to make it a film series, as opposed to a single film? That is the right move IMO, one of the reasons David Lynch's Dune was crap was there was too much material to properly adapt it into one film.
First book in two 3 hour movies but some of the books can be single... still would be better if a properly funded hbo series. But even some GOT shows seemed cheaply funded.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. Asus R290 DCUII Cats 18.12.1, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F24 bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 18.12.1. Soundblaster X Ae5 May 10th 2018 driver. 28" upstar 4k ips 60hz panel, Intel 600p NVME 512GB. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Feb 2, 2017, 06:10 PM   #13
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
First book in two 3 hour movies but some of the books can be single... still would be better if a properly funded hbo series. But even some GOT shows seemed cheaply funded.
I like the idea of an HBO series.

A few years ago "they" tried to make Ayn Rand's epic Atlas Shrugged into three separate full length movies and it didn't work very well. IIRC, they had major cast continuity problems. I'm not even sure they made the third part.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 04:23 AM   #14
Bitey
Radeon Northern Islands

Bitey is still being judged by the masses

Patrick Stewart can still play Gurney Halleck because he still looks exactly the same
Bitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:40 PM   #15
MasterGoa
Life is not a task.

MasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English ChannelMasterGoa once jumped the English Channel

Cast is shaping up pretty gewd!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160419/
MasterGoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 01:01 PM   #16
GTwannabe
Radeon Evergreen

GTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyGTwannabe can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Patrick Stewart can still play Gurney Halleck because he still looks exactly the same
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 01:29 PM   #17
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist is still being judged by the masses

Villeneuve has to be my favorite contemporary "AAA" director. Looking forward to this!
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 05:14 PM   #18
JZL
Starship Trooper

It occurs to me that Villeneuve is now rebooting his second movie that starred Sean Young.

Coincidence?

Is Stripes next?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 05:40 PM   #19
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
As long as they bring Sting back, I'm totally in!
give the harkonnen a walker
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:15 PM   #20
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Not so sure about some of that casting. Too many well known actors. They will sink their budget in A list actors. If the budget is too high for the BO we wont get a sequel. Like what happened to Blade Runner...

They need more talented unknowns like Lynch's Dune had at the time. Momoa should be Stilgar and not Javier Bardem. In anycase its gonna be hard to top the actors cast in the Lynch movie.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Feb 18, 2019, 04:00 AM   #21
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

I really loved the books, also the games and the first movie but i'm having a hard time getting my hopes high for this new one. I have a feeling they will completely ruin it.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2019, 04:14 AM   #22
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
I really loved the books, also the games and the first movie but i'm having a hard time getting my hopes high for this new one. I have a feeling they will completely ruin it.
Have you seen any sci-fi movie by Villeneuve? He cannot ruin sci-fi.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 04:23 AM   #23
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Have you seen any sci-fi movie by Villeneuve? He cannot ruin sci-fi.
yes, i have and well, let's just say our opinions may differ a ...bit... on that.

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Old Feb 18, 2019, 04:52 AM   #24
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
yes, i have and well, let's just say our opinions may differ a ...bit... on that.
You did not like e.g. Arrival? How can anyone not like that movie?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 06:15 AM   #25
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
You did not like e.g. Arrival? How can anyone not like that movie?
it had potential, but failed pretty hard. But hey, different blokes, right?

Old Feb 18, 2019, 09:10 AM   #26
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
it had potential, but failed pretty hard. But hey, different blokes, right?
I think he did what he wanted, I just personally did not like what he did. Kind of like Interstellar by Nolan. I love most Nolan movies but that one I just did not care for but he did what he has hoping to do.

Blade Runner 2049 on the other hand. I have watched that like 11 times now, maybe 12. 6 times in the Theater and 5 or 6 times on my 4k HDR big screen and I never get tired of it. Love it as much as the 1st one.

So back to Nolan, for me I am hoping Dune turns out to be more of an Inception and not so much an Interstellar.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 02:38 PM   #27
JZL
Starship Trooper

Quote:
Agreed. I never miss a chance to poop all over the sh1t-show furball that was Arrival. I did like the new BR, though. TBH it's equally likely that a person's opinions are opposite here, i.e., like Arrival but not BR 2049.