Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Dec 24, 2015, 09:45 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
help, can't play anymore, get uber-bored after 10 minutes!
Um.. what? its a space sim, did you not understand what you were getting into? Also, how do you get bored after ten minutes... you probably hadnt even complete a mission or even got into a fight by then...
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:11 AM   #92
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

been playing since release. I guess I've exploited the game's mechanics enough, nothing gets me going anymore. all of a sudden I find myself agreeing with the negative comments on Steam, all I see is endless grinding going from A to B or A to infinite.
I hate it when a game dies on you like that, especially since I loved this one quite a bit
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:28 AM   #93
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
been playing since release. I guess I've exploited the game's mechanics enough, nothing gets me going anymore. all of a sudden I find myself agreeing with the negative comments on Steam, all I see is endless grinding going from A to B or A to infinite.
I hate it when a game dies on you like that, especially since I loved this one quite a bit
It's a space sim without a story to progress... what were you expecting? Go play rebel galaxy, it's a goode 40 hour romp and the combat is different, plus to get to fly around in capitol ships... just remeber its a space sim LITE.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 24, 2015, 04:24 PM   #94
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

what's the next major update adding?

Quote:
I cannot but conclude that the Bulk of your Natives, to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 04:53 PM   #95
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I bought Elite: Dangerous in the Steam sales. I've got an Xbox 360 gamepad, but the default control scheme isn't particularly pleasing. I'm a bit overwhelmed to be honest, the game really doesn't do a lot of handholding at the beginning!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 06:50 PM   #96
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

just so you are warned, the game doesn't do any hand holding whatsoever period!
Also plan on getting a joystick.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 07:42 PM   #97
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

The t-16000 is a dirt cheap stick, like 40 bucks usd, and it does the job perfectly for ed.

I have one laying around somewhere that I used for no more than month before upgrading to the x55. so if you want it and can paypal the shipping charges I'll send it out.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2015, 07:45 PM   #98
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
what's the next major update adding?
They were showing character creation earlier so probably that.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:49 AM   #99
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuryX View Post
I bought Elite: Dangerous in the Steam sales. I've got an Xbox 360 gamepad, but the default control scheme isn't particularly pleasing. I'm a bit overwhelmed to be honest, the game really doesn't do a lot of handholding at the beginning!
Don't even bother with a game pad. It does not have enough buttons for everything you need. Either use a joystick cause flying with them is fun, or use the keyboard and mouse.

Also, in a few minutes i'll post in this post a few tips that i didnt know when i started a couple weeks ago that would have helped a LOT, cause there is almost NO training in the game. Definitely do the training missions, even though they are almost useless, they do help a little.

EDIT: ok. tips to start. Dont do any combat missions in stations unless you specifically want to like i do, at least not until you are comfortable in the game.

First thing you should do, is look at your ships panels. I think if you press or hold T (i made mine middle mouse) you can free look around your ship, and when you look at certain things the menu's will pop up. Read them all, even the ones you dont understand yet, there is a lot of really important info there. Especially on the right hand side menu. You can also access the menu's by pressing 1 2 3 and 4 i think.

Power. The arrow keys move power from equal split (down) to the different section of the ship. Left is Sys, which is shields and things, up is engine and right is weapons. When not in combat you can take all the power out of weapons, just remember to hit down arrow if a fight starts.

ok, so ship gear, when you buy stuff you always trade it in and your old gear price gets taking off the new gear price. so if your shields cost 10k and you want to upgrade to the 50k credits one, it will cost you 40k not 50k.

There are a couple other things that are not obvious, but hell if i can remember them right now. :/ Anyone got anythig they want to add?

Last edited by theshadowcult : Dec 25, 2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 01:54 AM   #100
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So it turns out I was gifted Elite Dangerous on Steam as an Xmas present

Works fine with the Warthog HOTAS - enough buttons for everything
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2015, 03:29 AM   #101
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

Welcome CMDR

o7

(that's the official salute emoticon and yes I feel like a dork for using it)

Last edited by ThirdEye : Dec 25, 2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 04:26 AM   #102
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
So it turns out I was gifted Elite Dangerous on Steam as an Xmas present

Works fine with the Warthog HOTAS - enough buttons for everything
Are you offering to buy it for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Welcome CMDR

o7

(that's the official salute emoticon and yes I feel like a dork for using it)

Also, third eye, did you make that private group for rage, or should i do it? Cause i have no idea how the servers work, i think and american should do it. (as in, neither of us)
Old Dec 25, 2015, 05:43 AM   #103
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post

Also, third eye, did you make that private group for rage, or should i do it? Cause i have no idea how the servers work, i think and american should do it. (as in, neither of us)
I've never tried making a private group, but I'll look into it.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 08:47 PM   #104
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

don't mean to be trolling, but my boredom led me to open an account with Eve online and go on a 14 day free trial. I pulled an all-nighter - haven't been doing that for a while - to grasp a minimal fraction of what the game is.
Right now I'm totally blast away by the depth of its structure.

Might turn Elite into something to go back to every once in a while for a little arcade gameplay
Old Dec 25, 2015, 08:53 PM   #105
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Trolling would be going into an eve thread suggesting MS Excel as an viable alternative to that game.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2015, 09:03 PM   #106
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

lol

really loving the Eve Excel Spreadsheet so far. The universe feels much more alive and interactive to me, and character creation together with station disembark (although in the confined space of your quarters), makes it so much more believable.
Unfortunately Elite feels extremely dumbed down in comparison, I'd be curious to know what people that played both games think.

So far I'm seeing all of Elite elements being present in Eve, except they are multiplied to the nth power (besides cockpit flying).

Mind me, don't want to open an Elite vs Eve discussion, just thought I'd share a few considerations.

Last edited by Lurk : Dec 25, 2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:45 PM   #107
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

here's how the game looks. SMAA through Reshade won't show in the pics.

Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:17 AM   #108
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

It's an actual mmo with a subscription base. of course it' s going to have better polish. On a side note... **** elite combat against ai sometimes... i can solo a deadly python, and usually beat a deadly assault ship, but a harmless cobra mk4 out maneuvers my viper effortlessly wtf? Also... another odd death, i was fighting an assault ship and had him dead to rights no problem, fight was easy till he hit 20% hull, then he just smashed me out of the blue, nothing i could do would get him off my tail even rlolling around with flight assist off to change direction, he'd just be on me. Is that because he had turrets? Do turrets just keep targetting you even if you are out of view, or behind them?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:29 AM   #109
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
It's an actual mmo with a subscription base. of course it' s going to have better polish. On a side note... **** elite combat against ai sometimes... i can solo a deadly python, and usually beat a deadly assault ship, but a harmless cobra mk4 out maneuvers my viper effortlessly wtf? Also... another odd death, i was fighting an assault ship and had him dead to rights no problem, fight was easy till he hit 20% hull, then he just smashed me out of the blue, nothing i could do would get him off my tail even rlolling around with flight assist off to change direction, he'd just be on me. Is that because he had turrets? Do turrets just keep targetting you even if you are out of view, or behind them?
There is something odd with the ai. Sometimes they don't attack at all for quite a while, get the same with elite condas. Some times they just sit there while you wail on them, then you stop to recharge and they take off.

If you're in a viper you will be out matched by any reasonable assault ship. Get chaff and switch to silent running, gimbled and turreted weapons can't track you when silent running and you will drop off their radar.

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2015, 01:09 AM   #110
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
There is something odd with the ai. Sometimes they don't attack at all for quite a while, get the same with elite condas. Some times they just sit there while you wail on them, then you stop to recharge and they take off.

If you're in a viper you will be out matched by any reasonable assault ship. Get chaff and switch to silent running, gimbled and turreted weapons can't track you when silent running and you will drop off their radar.
Nah, they were all fighting back the whole time. I did see the spinning thing a couple times at nav beacons though. Silent running stops turrets and gimballed guns? god damn, i wish i'd know that, that would literally have saved me half of my deaths
As for chaff, yeah i plan on it next, just got a DB Explorer so now i have room for chaff.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 03:40 AM   #111
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Unfortunately Elite feels extremely dumbed down in comparison, I'd be curious to know what people that played both games think.
Take it from someone who played Eve for several years - it isn't. Eve may look complicated when you first look at it but in reality it's extremely simplistic in its game mechanics and the worst offender you'll find is space combat which is, especially PVE, completely ****.

The second thing you'll hate is you will, literally, have to wait months before you can do anything reasonable and _years_ before you can pilot anything large effectively. It took me a good year (a year after I got my mining and production on level to make enough ISK to pay the subs) to get the skills on the level that I could pilot my Amarr dreadnought effectively.

Eve = you pay to wait.

I could go on a massive rant about the failings of Eve but this isn't the place for it.

Last edited by daPhoenix : Dec 26, 2015 at 04:40 AM.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2015, 04:29 AM   #112
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Does anyone here know how the servers work? Can someone on the west coast of the usa make a Rage3d private group please?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 06:02 AM   #113
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Nah, they were all fighting back the whole time. I did see the spinning thing a couple times at nav beacons though. Silent running stops turrets and gimballed guns? god damn, i wish i'd know that, that would literally have saved me half of my deaths
As for chaff, yeah i plan on it next, just got a DB Explorer so now i have room for chaff.
Turrets and gimbals still fire directly ahead without a selected target, so if they can see you, they can still shoot at you.

Just try and remember to take evasive, you will drop off the radar so if you are up against a slow turning ship zip right by them, drop chaff, wait for it to finish and hit silent running. If you can hide, e.g. at a ring, head for the other side of the ring. You can also turn off flight assist and just drift, then you can't be spotted from your engines either.

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2015, 06:19 AM   #114
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
Turrets and gimbals still fire directly ahead without a selected target, so if they can see you, they can still shoot at you.

Just try and remember to take evasive, you will drop off the radar so if you are up against a slow turning ship zip right by them, drop chaff, wait for it to finish and hit silent running. If you can hide, e.g. at a ring, head for the other side of the ring. You can also turn off flight assist and just drift, then you can't be spotted from your engines either.
If i could fly right by them i could kill them. It just happened again. fourth time in a row now for my deaths. I'm in complete control of the fight, i take some hits, but nothing troubling, i get them down to about 30% to 20% hull, and them bamn, im just dead. This time it was a db scout, my fight all the way, and then last second he somehow gets behind me and im toast, no matter what i do, even a full reverse or a 180 in non combat assist, and all of a sudden he can just turn on a dime and stay behind me no matter what. It's not a problem with the db, cause it was happening in the viper too.

I think the ai cheats sometimes and its a bug or something, cause when i was in the viper, i'd boost to 400 plus and watch the distance meter, and they would catch me.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 08:02 AM   #115
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

You can't name private groups, I made. One called SirBaron as it's my username. Has a few people in it.

There's no separate servers, so it doesn't matter which group you join

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2015, 08:54 AM   #116
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Take it from someone who played Eve for several years - it isn't. Eve may look complicated when you first look at it but in reality it's extremely simplistic in its game mechanics and the worst offender you'll find is space combat which is, especially PVE, completely ****.

The second thing you'll hate is you will, literally, have to wait months before you can do anything reasonable and _years_ before you can pilot anything large effectively. It took me a good year (a year after I got my mining and production on level to make enough ISK to pay the subs) to get the skills on the level that I could pilot my Amarr dreadnought effectively.

Eve = you pay to wait.

I could go on a massive rant about the failings of Eve but this isn't the place for it.
I'm absolutely positively sure I will end up agreeing with you, but in the mean time it is a fresh change from staring at your cockpit dashboard all the frigging time.
Mechanics tend to become boring and repetitive anyway, that's my biggest gripe with open-world games nowadays.

For the time being, I can tell you I've played two nights in a row and already have three ships in my hangar, two of which were given to me by an Agent for which I completed a 5-step Explorer training mission.
And all I can tell is that being able to leave your ship makes a huge difference, not to mention character customization which is actually quite fun and well thought out.
I'm purely having fun interacting with windows spanned across the three monitors, I must say the game seems built for Eyefinity.

But as I said, it will probably last so long.
In the meantime I find it a nice diversion from Elite, it's interesting to see each developers' point of view on similar games.

Ok, back to thread, happy gaming everyone

Last edited by Lurk : Dec 26, 2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:15 AM   #117
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
You can't name private groups, I made. One called SirBaron as it's my username. Has a few people in it.

There's no separate servers, so it doesn't matter which group you join
There are separate servers... the very fact that you can play in a private universe but still be online in a group, indicates multiple servers. There is simply one server for open play most likely.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:19 AM   #118
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Well what I meant is there is there is no regional servers like americans can only play with americans etc.

You can just join a group, doesn't have to be in any particular region or time zone, there's no split servers like MMO games.

It's one master server doing everything background simulation, with p2p being used for small instances.

There is nothing different about open, solo, private when it comes to the servers, except that in the code what you select determines if you can see people or not see people.

Like for example Variable-SirBaron would mean you can only see people with that variable.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2015, 01:59 PM   #119
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
with p2p being used for small instances.
That's the important part. Are you sure about it? if that is the case, then thirdeye, just make the group, and add any rage members who want to join.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:59 PM   #120
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

Well I made a group and invited everyone whom I recognize from r3d. I doubt anything will come of it though.

Anyway, don't think I've ever noticed this description before