Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 26, 2019, 04:07 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
The good thing is, I don't think dedicated hardware is justified any more. Not with all these cores we have on PCs.

Here is a demo from SIGGRAPH of CPU based sound:

Speaking of Microsoft, they did another one in Unigen, but I cannot find that video any more.
Wow am I the only one who actually watched this video? This is astounding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2019, 08:05 AM   #32
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've seen it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2019, 07:41 AM   #33
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progression View Post
Wow am I the only one who actually watched this video? This is astounding.
I've heard similarly good sound from Half Life 2 sound mod, I can't seem to find it on YouTube. It was played during the first part of the game in City 17.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:20 AM   #34
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I’m going to be replacing my Xonar DX soon with a Creative AE-5.
Is the AE-5 overkill for a simple 2.1 setup?
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:05 AM   #35
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Is the AE-5 overkill for a simple 2.1 setup?
I upgraded my DX because it was starting to die (would sometimes lose half volume in right channel). I was also tired of using outdated 3rd party Unixonar drivers that haven’t been updated since Win10 1803 release.

I don’t think the AE-5 is overkill. The amp is pretty powerful. I don’t like that I can’t disable the built-in amp so I can use my Magni2, so I’ve just plugged my cans into the AE-5 directly. It is an upgrade from the aging DAC on my Xonar.

The software is prettt sweet too. So far I like it, worth the price of admission.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:15 AM   #36
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Is the onboard amplifier just for the headphones? I assume so. The logitech 2.1 setup I have has it's own amp built-in.

A cleaner signal output would be nice vs. the on-board realtek as I do get interference in my headphones and probably on the 2.1 output though it's harder to hear it on the latter.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:47 AM   #37
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Is the onboard amplifier just for the headphones? I assume so. The logitech 2.1 setup I have has it's own amp built-in.

A cleaner signal output would be nice vs. the on-board realtek as I do get interference in my headphones and probably on the 2.1 output though it's harder to hear it on the latter.
It can drive speakers as well. It's a powerful amp, I'll give it that.

Grab the AE-5 if you're on onboard audio. Going from onboard to an actual amp/dac is night-and-day difference. I wouldn't recommend the AE-5 if you were already running a modern soundcard or external amp/dac, but that's the only two scenarios I wouldn't.

BTW, Klipsch is doing a huge sale on their website - large variety of products ranging from bookshelves, to Atmos setups, to subwoofers. I just picked up the 2.1 Promedia setup for $130 after tax.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Jul 7, 2019 at 12:10 PM.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2019, 05:34 PM   #38
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
It is probably true that only blockbuster games have good audio like the above. I also suspect that in order to get "proper" audio, we'd need to ray trace it, which is obscenely expensive even with dedicated hardware (there are SIGGRAPH demos of this).

Saying this, there are enough games where I noticed a similar effect. In the Witcher 3 when you whistle for Roach, Geralt's whistle faintly echos off into the distance. It's really subtle, but I'm using Audio Technica R70s with a proper interface so I hear it. Doom's sound design was solid too. Even the first Dirt Rally sounds fantastic.

Think the audio output is more an issue for most people than having hardware accelerated audio.
Quote:
The good thing is, I don't think dedicated hardware is justified any more. Not with all these cores we have on PCs.

Here is a demo from SIGGRAPH of CPU based sound:

Speaking of Microsoft, they did another one in Unigen, but I cannot find that video any more.
A3D from Aureal was doing realtime 3D audio reflections and the like over a decade ago. Really kinda exciting to hear audio like this again.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote