Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

AMD AMD Rebrands GCN 7000 series to make 8000 series desktop cards for OEM's

A tidbit in the AMD Radeon HD 8000M series launch today showed AMD's hand for their GPU strategy - OEM's are getting a top to bottom range of AMD Radeon HD 8000 desktop cards with only 2 new chips in the stack.

The full details are here, with the GPU architectures clearly indicated. The Pitcairn XT and Tahiti Pro and XT2 cards are rebranded, just change the leading 7 to a 8 and done.

For the Cape Verde cards, 7770 becomes 8760, 7750 becomes 8740; no changes to specifications just take 10 off the last two digits - the relative performance indicator - and increment the family numeral.

The venerable Cedar and Caicos GPU's, which were the ATI Radeon HD 5450 and AMD Radeon HD 6450 respectively, become the 8350 and 8400 series. This leaves only the 8570 and 8670 GPU's with new specifications, looking for all the world like binned Cape Verde chips with boost firmware, remarkable similar to the Solar GPU's launched on the mobile side.

So why are the OEM's getting the new lineup first, that isn't new? Well, todays press conference talked a lot about the new Richland APU, coming in 2013 to replace Trinity. When we asked AMD's Jay Marsden about APU dual graphics capability of the new Solar GPU's, we were told that the new GPU's won't dual graphics, but instead enduro connect with APU's. Is AMD bringing the same thing to the desktop and using GCN for the compelling reason to have a dGPU in your APU system?

Of course, there's the old standby that AMD need GCN to fight the Kepler cards for Intel design wins, too. Those Ivy Bridge CPU's need a real GPU, and the Northern Islands 40nm rebrands in the OEM 7000 series didn't fare well against the 28nm Kepler onslaught.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

No comments as yet? Lemme be the first then. Shame on you, AMD! Taking a page from Nvidia's playbook like that, I thought better of ya! *snickers and runs to hide from the lambasting sure to follow*
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So, the desktop 8000 series cards, any reviews on the "new" cards?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I miss you moshpit!!!!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:14 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
So, the desktop 8000 series cards, any reviews on the "new" cards?
They're the same as the 7000 series... and they're OEM only so you'll have to wait till people buy HP/Dell/etc PC's with them in them.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:35 AM   #6
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I miss you moshpit!!!!

Thanks bro!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:17 AM   #7
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I miss you moshpit!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post

Thanks bro!
Ya, where the F have you been!?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:41 PM   #8
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Been playing a buncha games n stuff. Got sucked into Second Life for awhile as well, which was a real time drain. Been lurking around here though, waiting for the right time to troll a thread with a smart ass remark :P
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Been playing a buncha games n stuff. Got sucked into Second Life for awhile as well, which was a real time drain. Been lurking around here though, waiting for the right time to troll a thread with a smart ass remark :P
Second Life? You? Sorry, man, I can't picture it.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:13 AM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Second Life? You? Sorry, man, I can't picture it.
LMAO! IKR? I've been running an industrial music club in SL, go figure :P
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:12 PM   #11
noc_81

noc_81 is still being judged by the masses

Wow... this is sad, AMD.. rolling out a new mobile series that seem to be the same as the last, die for die. And this was done with the 6xxx series too, right? And I thought I got jipped taking a 6850 as a warranty replacement for my 4870, thinking that DX11 and UVD3 meant anything in the end when it was basically a stripped down 5850..
noc_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:30 AM   #12
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by noc_81 View Post
Wow... this is sad, AMD.. rolling out a new mobile series that seem to be the same as the last, die for die. And this was done with the 6xxx series too, right? And I thought I got jipped taking a 6850 as a warranty replacement for my 4870, thinking that DX11 and UVD3 meant anything in the end when it was basically a stripped down 5850..
Well, keep in mind, Nvidia plays this rebranding game too. It seems to be SOP for graphics makers other then Intel right now, and the only reason Intel doesn't do it is cause of the nature of their GPUs makes that difficult considering the integration to the CPU.