Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Sep 9, 2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Arioch
3D Vision Fanboy

Arioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyArioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default 2019 LG OLED's to get G-Sync

Hot Damn!

I am a few days away from getting my 65" LG OLED and today and announcement came out that it will get a firmware update to enable G-SYNC support.

"We are excited to bring G-SYNC Compatible support to LG's 2019 OLED TVs and HDMI Variable Refresh Rate support to our GeForce RTX 20-Series GPUs."

LG Adding G-sync to 2019 OLED Models
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:07 PM   #2
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That is indeed tight. What refresh though?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:18 PM   #3
Arioch
3D Vision Fanboy

Arioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyArioch can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
That is indeed tight. What refresh though?
1440p at 120Hz and 4K at 60Hz with current video cards. Since it already has HDMI 2.1 ports though, it will be able to handle [email protected] with HDR as well as 8K. Just need Nvidia to release HDMI 2.1 cards.

Last edited by Arioch : Sep 9, 2019 at 10:25 PM.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:27 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch View Post
1440p at 120Hz and 4K at 60Hz with current video cards. Since it already has HDMI 2.1 ports though, it will be able to handle [email protected] with HDR as well as 8K. Just need Nvidia to release HDMI 2.1 cards.
they need to release drivers to do G-SYNC and freesync over HDMI at all or maybe a card bios
it is displayport only right now I think still

and wonder if it will work with AMD as there is no G-SYNC chip it just a firmware patch this has to be freesync basically and AMD already does freesync over HDMI

Quote:
Due to be added via firmware upgrade to LG’s E9, C9 and B9 2019 OLED TV series

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...?skuId=6360612

what about oled burn in on a windows screen ?

wonder if "5-Year Standard Geek Squad Protection" covers oled burn in

if I was sure it would " be able to handle [email protected] with HDR " soon or even with a 3080 ti Q1 next year I would buy it soon

Last edited by bill dennison : Sep 9, 2019 at 11:40 PM.
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:39 PM   #5
Arioch
3D Vision Fanboy

Nvidia will add the HDMI support in a driver update simultaneously with the TVs getting a G-SYNC compatible firmware update from LG.

Here is the Nvidia press release that mentions this:

LG’s Big-Screen 4K OLED TVs First To Be Validated For Superior G-SYNC Compatible Gaming
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:50 PM   #6
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch View Post
Nvidia will add the HDMI support in a driver update simultaneously with the TVs getting a G-SYNC compatible firmware update from LG.

Here is the Nvidia press release that mentions this:

LG’s Big-Screen 4K OLED TVs First To Be Validated For Superior G-SYNC Compatible Gaming
thanks

Quote:
If you don’t own a LG TV, but do own a display or TV that only supports Variable Refresh Rates via HDMI, you can try enabling HDMI VRR when the aforementioned driver is released. As these displays and TVs haven’t yet been through our comprehensive validation process, we can’t guarantee VRR will work, or work without issue
cool

……...
Quote:
LG can’t yet put an exact date on when the NVIDIA G-Sync support update will roll out to its compatible OLED TVs; only that it will arrive on the E9 and C9 first (before the end of the year) and the B9s at a later date.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#36faa814dced

so the B9's may not get it till next year

won't buy one till it has it and if that late maybe better to wait for all the 2020 TV's to hit

Last edited by bill dennison : Sep 9, 2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 07:07 AM   #7
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Wish my freesync TV supported gsync..
Old Sep 11, 2019, 09:43 AM   #8
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
they need to release drivers to do G-SYNC and freesync over HDMI at all or maybe a card bios
it is displayport only right now I think still

and wonder if it will work with AMD as there is no G-SYNC chip it just a firmware patch this has to be freesync basically and AMD already does freesync over HDMI

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-c...?skuId=6360612

what about oled burn in on a windows screen ?

wonder if "5-Year Standard Geek Squad Protection" covers oled burn in

if I was sure it would " be able to handle [email protected] with HDR " soon or even with a 3080 ti Q1 next year I would buy it soon
I use my OLED for only gaming with my PC, otherwise desktop stuff etc is on the monitor.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2019, 01:27 PM   #9
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I use my OLED for only gaming with my PC, otherwise desktop stuff etc is on the monitor.
I got a 55" 4k tv and a 40" 4k monitor in my office I would like to combine them into one big 55" screen

I don't know how bad OLED burn-in is now with 2019 tv
but what I can find best buy 5 year warranty does cover OLED burn-in

so deal with it for 4 years and let them replace it the last year

hopefully they will fix OLED burn-in at some point
Old Sep 11, 2019, 02:22 PM   #10
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
I got a 55" 4k tv and a 40" 4k monitor in my office I would like to combine them into one big 55" screen

I don't know how bad OLED burn-in is now with 2019 tv
but what I can find best buy 5 year warranty does cover OLED burn-in

so deal with it for 4 years and let them replace it the last year

hopefully they will fix OLED burn-in at some point
OLED phosphors degrade through use... no way around it.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2019, 03:26 PM   #11
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

What's the difference between G-SYNC Capable and G-SYNC Compatible? I know one is the "real deal" while the other isn't but is there a difference in how well each performs?
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2019, 04:03 PM   #12
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
What's the difference between G-SYNC Capable and G-SYNC Compatible? I know one is the "real deal" while the other isn't but is there a difference in how well each performs?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ined,6008.html
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:44 PM   #13
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Supposedly, DP->HDMI2.1 adapters are being worked on. Who knows if they will see the light of day or not.

I use my LG OLED55B7 as my desktop display. I have not seen burn-in issues yet however it could happen eventually. I run no desktop icons, taskbar, and a black wallpaper with dark theme as much as I can.

The TV looks excellent with games and has the best PQ I've ever had in any TV or display. I do miss having a wallpaper though.

The newer LG TVs support VRR but it's unclear to me what exactly the GSync announcement actually means. With GPUs unable to output the necessary bandwidth for 4k120hz 4:4:4 HDR10 I'm not sure how this matters if that is what you're after.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:09 AM   #14
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Supposedly, DP->HDMI2.1 adapters are being worked on. Who knows if they will see the light of day or not.

I use my LG OLED55B7 as my desktop display. I have not seen burn-in issues yet however it could happen eventually. I run no desktop icons, taskbar, and a black wallpaper with dark theme as much as I can.

The TV looks excellent with games and has the best PQ I've ever had in any TV or display. I do miss having a wallpaper though.

The newer LG TVs support VRR but it's unclear to me what exactly the GSync announcement actually means. With GPUs unable to output the necessary bandwidth for 4k120hz 4:4:4 HDR10 I'm not sure how this matters if that is what you're after.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14535...i-21-converter

I think we will see hdmi 2.1 cards first

I had to use a displayport active adapter at one point for 2560x1600
they are a pain in the ass always displayport link failures

………..

and I didn't see this before

Quote:
Note that Nvidia's Matt Wuebbling, head of GeForce marketing, stated that HDMI VRR support was only coming to RTX 20 series graphics cards. No mention of GTX 16 series graphics cards has been made in Nvidia's announcement. Remember that all GTX 16-series GPUs are Turing-based and are less than a year old. HDMI VRR support will release with a new Geforce driver, where we expect to learn more about the limitations of Nvidia's VRR support.
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu..._series_gpus/1

Last edited by bill dennison : Sep 16, 2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 07:22 PM   #15
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nascar24 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I really loved the picture of my 55" 1080P OLED which I had for about a year, used it as my Desktop monitor and while there was image retention it never got to burn in at that point. Cat broke it and that was the end of that. Bought a Samsung KS8500 65" as I was unwilling to pay the extra 1k for the 4K OLED at the time and wanted a bigger screen. Still a bit leery of the burn-in factor as it definitely is a thing as proven by rtings. Since I use my display as a PC monitor I still may opt for a high end LCD TV as long as it has 2.1 support which not many to none do right now. Also another reason to wait for the 3080 as I would hope Nvidia will support it with this card.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2019, 08:45 PM   #16
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

They can do 4k @98hz 4:4:4 though or [email protected] 4:2:2 which supposedly you can't tell the difference in games but I play @98hz. With G-Sync, I wouldn't notice the difference between 98 and 120 any way.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2019, 09:49 PM   #17
Riptide

I picked up a cable off monoprice so I'm ready when I do end up getting a TV and gpu to support this. Most likely, will end up getting the TV first and wait until I can get a GPU that supports HDMI 2.1 and not just VRR over 2.0.

For people who are concerned about the burn-in factor, which is improved but still possible, the TCL 8 series with mini LED may be a good alternative. Not sure if it supports HDMI 2.1 though.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:57 PM   #18
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I picked up a cable off monoprice so I'm ready when I do end up getting a TV and gpu to support this. Most likely, will end up getting the TV first and wait until I can get a GPU that supports HDMI 2.1 and not just VRR over 2.0.

For people who are concerned about the burn-in factor, which is improved but still possible, the TCL 8 series with mini LED may be a good alternative. Not sure if it supports HDMI 2.1 though.
Quote:
The company is not ready to transition to HDMI 2.1 yet.
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1565874061

only LG has full HDMI 2.1 this year as far is I know
maybe one 8k Samsung

I think next year for a new HDMI 2.1 screen and a 3080 ti maybe a AMD card also

they should all have VRR next year and both NV and AMD should work with it by then
Old Sep 20, 2019, 09:07 AM   #19
Riptide

Yah so far it's just OLED and I think that highest end Samsung QLED.

The 5700XT aftermarket cards like the ROG and Nitro+ are intriguing to me. Would be a minor step down in speed vs. my Radeon VII at the advantage of better noise and thermals.

No HDMI 2.1 though and so far only Gsync has any compatibility with the few HDMI 2.1 enabled TVs you can get. And even then, that hasn't actually happened yet it's just an announcement.

Very off putting and difficult to justify switching GPUs atm.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Old Sep 20, 2019, 04:34 PM   #20
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Yah so far it's just OLED and I think that highest end Samsung QLED.

The 5700XT aftermarket cards like the ROG and Nitro+ are intriguing to me. Would be a minor step down in speed vs. my Radeon VII at the advantage of better noise and thermals.

No HDMI 2.1 though and so far only Gsync has any compatibility with the few HDMI 2.1 enabled TVs you can get. And even then, that hasn't actually happened yet it's just an announcement.

Very off putting and difficult to justify switching GPUs atm.
freesync works on all the most newer Samsung's over hdmi 2.0 2018 and newer
https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00079940/
Old Sep 21, 2019, 03:48 AM   #21
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Wish my freesync TV supported gsync..
These LG TV's will be Gsync COMPATIBLE which means they are basically adaptive sync and NOT proprietary NV Gsync modules. Technically an AMD card and driver should work also if AMD decide to support it.
Ryzen 7 2700, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, Sapphire Radeon Pulse 5700XT, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2019, 09:15 PM   #22
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
These LG TV's will be Gsync COMPATIBLE which means they are basically adaptive sync and NOT proprietary NV Gsync modules. Technically an AMD card and driver should work also if AMD decide to support it.
Not without paying nVidia no? Or did G-Sync go actually free?

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2019, 09:39 PM   #23
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Not without paying nVidia no? Or did G-Sync go actually free?
G-sync compatible is just what they call their support for VRR. Their is no G-sync chip.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote