Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Feb 3, 2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default Crossfire? have I been ripped off.

So I wanted to get Crossfire and so I did, my specs in are to the left.

And one thing I have noticed is that, it makes everything slower. I try and play Dragon Age and it runs terribly, I have to turn off AA and AF etc and Frame Buffer effects cause it stutters like a mofo. If I take a video card out, it runs awesome, I can max it out with everything and it runs without an issue.

But it's not just Dragon Age, other games I have tried, I have seem ZERO improvement, only issues that makes me think, that ive basically wasted cash buying another 5850.

Is it just me (system) or is Crossfire not that great. The motherboard is the EVGA P55 FTW
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 09:42 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

That's just you.

Are you running the latest drivers and catalyst application profile?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:47 PM   #3
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMT View Post
Is it just me (system) or is Crossfire not that great. The motherboard is the EVGA P55 FTW

Just you, I had 3 x 5850 in crossfire and they scaled great in 99% of the games I played. Sometimes you might have to wait for a profile to be released for a new game but thats about it.

What motherboard are you using? not a P55 by any chance? the lower end boards only run 4x on the second pcie slot. I gave my friend another 5850 to crossfire with his existing 5850 and it was pathetic on his cheap P55-UD3 board, gameplay was extremely juddery and barely any performance increase a lot of the time. He took it out and oc'd the crap out of his single 5850 and it runs faster..
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:01 PM   #4
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
That's just you.

Are you running the latest drivers and catalyst application profile?
Yep im running the latest 11.1a hotfix, but the driver ver hasn't made a difference before. Every time there is new drivers I upgrade, and notice no difference. And Dragon Age is an ancient game from 2009, so a profile should have been made for it by now. I guess my mobo is crap. I think mines is 16X but when its in SLI / Crossfire it goes to 8X and 8X.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:31 PM   #5
demo
space cadet

demo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bounddemo can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Yep im running the latest 11.1a hotfix, but the driver ver hasn't made a difference before. Every time there is new drivers I upgrade, and notice no difference. And Dragon Age is an ancient game from 2009, so a profile should have been made for it by now. I guess my mobo is crap. I think mines is 16X but when its in SLI / Crossfire it goes to 8X and 8X.
8+8 should be sufficient with only a minor reduction in performance, what board are you using exactly?

EDIT/ oh FFS you typed the mobo model there, sorry my bad!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:40 PM   #6
demo
space cadet

What does GPU-Z report each card running at?

Quick google and someone said with this setting in bios the second slot runs at 4x - PCIe force gen 1 ENABLED

Dont know if it's true or exactly what it does but it's worth trying to disable it and see what happens imo.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 01:57 AM   #7
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post

Quick google and someone said with this setting in bios the second slot runs at 4x - PCIe force gen 1 ENABLED

Dont know if it's true or exactly what it does but it's worth trying to disable it and see what happens imo.
Hmmm I will check this out. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 03:51 PM   #8
kakarot
Radeon Caribbean Islands

kakarot is still being judged by the masses

DAO is a very-very cpu limited game. Adding another 5850 without cranking up AA/AF will probably have negative effects on the game since you're adding cpu overhead. Even an old GTS250 can rip through this game like butter with a nice cpu

BTW, your board is just fine. Even if you were running the cards at 4x/4x pcie speeds I doubt you would notice any performance hit..
kakarot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2011, 04:06 PM   #9
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
Even if you were running the cards at 4x/4x pcie speeds I doubt you would notice any performance hit..
When I tried crossfire 5850 on a P55-UD3 with the second slot at 4x gameplay was extremely choppy and next to no increase in performance. Running a single card at full 16x produced better results.

From what I can tell the setting I posted above restricts the pcie slots to 4x, changing this seemed to result in better performance and smoother gameplay in the threads I read, and yes it looks like that is a good P55 board that is capable of running 2x16 due to an nforce chip.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 04:20 PM   #10
kakarot
Radeon Caribbean Islands

I haven't tried it with crossfire but with single cards even 1x is not nearly as bad as one would think. Check this article out. I do agree that 8x/8x should be the minimum however DAO is really not the greatest game to use to test cf or sli in any pcie config
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:15 PM   #11
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarot View Post
I haven't tried it with crossfire but with single cards even 1x is not nearly as bad as one would think. Check this article out. I do agree that 8x/8x should be the minimum however DAO is really not the greatest game to use to test cf or sli in any pcie config
Yes it is true in a CPU limited game that crossfire can reduce performance by introducing more CPU overhead, OP should perhaps run 3Dmark11 or heaven bench to see if there is any scaling and also note how smooth they perform.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:25 AM   #12
kakarot
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Edit - Doh wrong thread; this was supposed to be next lol

But you're right, lots of games scale great and should be a good indicator cf is working. FarCry 2, resident evli 2, and new call of duty are good examples.

Last edited by kakarot : Feb 5, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 03:44 AM   #13
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by demowhc View Post

The PCIe force gen 1 was already disabled. Im going to download 3dmark11 and try tests with single and dual cards.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 08:14 PM   #14
kn00tcn
zero-zero

kn00tcn is still being judged by the masses

there's also heaven bench, & some other things known to scale well when adding 2nd card

what specific other games were you trying?
OpenGL startup crash fix #1 / fix #2 (for < radeon 6000 cards?)
better crossfire for Section8 Prejudice, Hydrophobia, UDK
kn00tcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2011, 08:33 PM   #15
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Just did 3dmark 11, and looks like it is working. I went from 3669 with the single card to 6531 with crossfire. It must be my system with Dragon Age or certain config. All I know is it stutters and runs like crap.

Last edited by FMT : Feb 6, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 09:27 PM   #16
demo
space cadet

Try forcing 24xEdgeDetectAA+SSAA or something in dragon age with 1 card then 2 and see if it scales.

Also try Heaven and some other demanding games.

I dont know but 6531 3Dmarks also seems rather low for a 5850 CFX system imo, but I cant be sure of that, a single 580 is getting ~7000 on my system so I dont know what to make of it.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 11:18 PM   #17
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

I checked 3dmark and my score seems about standard. I haven't oc'd anything its all running stock.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 12:10 AM   #18
demo
space cadet

Quote:
I checked 3dmark and my score seems about standard. I haven't oc'd anything its all running stock.

Fair enough, I upgraded from my 5850 system before 3dmark11 was released.

Any luck with Heaven or trying to force extreme AA modes in Dragon Age?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 04:55 AM   #19
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Yeah ive played around with it. Not to bad atm, but ive noticed I get slow fps it drops down to 30ish from 110 when there are lots of campfires and stuff that show off light.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 05:51 AM   #20
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

I think ive found a workaround for Dragon Age. Turn off Crossfire while playing it, and then when I play another game turn it back on. Not much of a workaround but, once im finished with DA I doubt ill play it again, so it doesn't really matter.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 04:01 PM   #21
NeTKCiD

NeTKCiD is still being judged by the masses

Tomshardware did an article on performance of 16x vs 8x etc...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...8-x4,2696.html
1024MB DDR 2700
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
M-Audio Revolution 7.1
... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
NeTKCiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 04:53 PM   #22
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeTKCiD View Post
Tomshardware did an article on performance of 16x vs 8x etc...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...8-x4,2696.html
Interesting, depending on the game going from 4x to 16x can double the frame rate while in others there is next to no difference.