Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Default Battery life on the S3 is godawful

Yes, I'm still on this.

My S3 after all tweaks and minimal background activity will still only last about 30hrs tops (medium usage, 4 hrs screen time will kill it).

Messing around with my mom's 920 and she's at 87% 34 hrs after her last charge, expected remaining life is 3+ days.

What the **** is Samsung/Android doing wrong?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

How is your signal during the whole time? Do you consistently have full bars?
I'm starting to think this plays a bigger role in battery life than I originally thought.

The battery life is OK/decent at best, yes, but that sounds pretty bad.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

you're rooting it wrong......
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 13, 2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
How is your signal during the whole time? Do you consistently have full bars?
I'm starting to think this plays a bigger role in battery life than I originally thought.

The battery life is OK/decent at best, yes, but that sounds pretty bad.
3 bars LTE/4G signal 100% of the time. Dropping it down to 4G saves a bit of power but nothing significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
you're rooting it wrong......
I doubt that, if you even know what you're talking about.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:14 PM   #5
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Weren't you supposed to get a Lumia already?

Go Lumia!
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
3 bars LTE/4G signal 100% of the time. Dropping it down to 4G saves a bit of power but nothing significant.
3 bars isn't very good, if it's the same thing as 3 bars for me. I have just about constant 5 bars, sometimes 4. Looking at it right now, I have 5. That could be a contributing factor, but how much I cannot say.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I think poor reception on any phone will kill it significantly faster
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

I only have a max of 4 bars

This is with 4.1.1 touchwiz

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I have a max of five.

4.1.1 Touchwiz, stock everything, Verizon..
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Yes, I'm still on this.

My S3 after all tweaks and minimal background activity will still only last about 30hrs tops (medium usage, 4 hrs screen time will kill it).

Messing around with my mom's 920 and she's at 87% 34 hrs after her last charge, expected remaining life is 3+ days.

Sounds like she has the battery saver toggle on the 920.

I am not sure if there is a similar functionality on the S3. I can chew through the battery on my 920, but I don't recall it ever clocking out at just 4 hours or so.

Are you running it stock? Is it constantly searching for signal?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Zero
Sass hole

My S3 is rooted stock, it has perfectly fine signal (not seeking) and power saver mode is even enabled. I'm fairly sure it's average performance as far as S3s go. Point was that it's pretty inferior compared to some other phones.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
I have a max of five.

Weird, but then it's probably around the same signal level.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:18 PM   #13
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
My S3 is rooted stock, it has perfectly fine signal (not seeking) and power saver mode is even enabled. I'm fairly sure it's average performance as far as S3s go. Point was that it's pretty inferior compared to some other phones.
Cool. I haven't spent enough time with one to know, was just curious.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I would say it's mediocre. I dunno, I never have issues with battery life on my phone and it's never put me in a situation where it was low battery and had to avoid using it to save life. Maybe I just don't use it as much as others..
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:15 PM   #15
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I have a max of five.

Shouldn't you be on 4.1.2 then?
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yes, I'm still on this.

Does your mom even use her phone? Buddy of mine has a Lumia and the battery life isn't anything to write home about. I can usually get about 3-4 hours screen on time and 20+ hours of use and since I charge it every night that works just fine for me.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:30 PM   #17
Zero
Sass hole

3/4 bars isn't mediocre. If you want to go by numbers it's around -87 dBm, which is perfectly average and fine. It is in no way lacking signal or seeking for signal. I don't think it has anything to do with the signal strength. The processes that suck up the most battery according to battery stats is the screen by far anyways. I have it on auto-brightness but still...

I think it's a matter of expectations. I don't think a day and a half battery life is good. Try not to defend your purchase and realize that there is better out there.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"

Last edited by Zero : Apr 13, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
Does your mom even use her phone? Buddy of mine has a Lumia and the battery life isn't anything to write home about. I can usually get about 3-4 hours screen on time and 20+ hours of use and since I charge it every night that works just fine for me.
Yes, email, facebook, texting and at least 4 calls a day. Nothing too intensive like gaming or videos though.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:06 PM   #19
FX-Overclocking
Radeon Arctic Islands

FX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete strangerFX-Overclocking once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Try not to defend your purchase and realize that there is better out there.
No, no, no... how dare you speak out against an Android device. Let alone Samsung. If only the screen were a little bit bigger I'm sure it would have better battery life.

Persistence is the first, and the most important, condition for success.

"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek
FX-Overclocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:19 PM   #20
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
3/4 bars isn't mediocre. If you want to go by numbers it's around -87 dBm, which is perfectly average and fine. It is in no way lacking signal or seeking for signal. I don't think it has anything to do with the signal strength. The processes that suck up the most battery according to battery stats is the screen by far anyways. I have it on auto-brightness but still...

I think it's a matter of expectations. I don't think a day and a half battery life is good. Try not to defend your purchase and realize that there is better out there.
battery lasts the whole day = good. Battery doesnt last a typical 8hr day = bad. Ive come to expect nothing really better than that.

Why would you keep the phone going if its not even going to last half the second day (after surviving one full day already) why would you want your phone to be dead halfway through the day? Just charge it every night.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:24 PM   #21
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
battery lasts the whole day = good. Battery doesnt last a typical 8hr day = bad. Ive come to expect nothing really better than that.

Why would you keep the phone going if its not even going to last half the second day (after surviving one full day already) why would you want your phone to be dead halfway through the day? Just charge it every night.
Why are you guys always bringing up that ridiculous point?? The longer your battery lasts, the more intensive things you can use it for before it dies (higher utility level). And sometimes you can't get to a charger consistently (remote areas, wilderness, etc). Better battery life is ALWAYS better. Come on people...

One day battery is terrible, you've just grown accustomed to mediocrity.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Try not to defend your purchase and realize that there is better out there.
Alright, I'm in a bad mood and this is just ridiculous.

First off, I was not taking about your signal strength. Frankly, I could give a **** less about your battery life or what your expectations are. If it's not good enough for you, then get rid of the ****ing phone and stop complaining at every chance you get to bring up how shitty the battery life is. It's gotten old, real ****in' old.

Secondly, I was talking about the battery life. It is mediocre at best. I get decent battery life but I'm also not a ****** sitting on my phone 18 hours a day. I use it to check Instagram, answer calls, check email, and text throughout the day. Maybe the occasional game for 10-15 minutes while I am on the train, but that is it.

I never said there wasn't better out there. The phone works for me and what I need. I like the screen size and the snappiness of the phone. Oh, and I love the plastic. The battery life has not given me any issues.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:44 PM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

My battery life is just fine for daily life. Charge your phone at night and quit bitching, it's pathetic.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:11 PM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Alright, I'm in a bad mood and this is just ridiculous.

First off, I was not taking about your signal strength. Frankly, I could give a **** less about your battery life or what your expectations are. If it's not good enough for you, then get rid of the ****ing phone and stop complaining at every chance you get to bring up how shitty the battery life is. It's gotten old, real ****in' old.
Calm down little kid, jesus.

I'm bringing it up now because I've been using a current gen smartphone witht he same connectivity as my S3 and the battery life is significantly better.

Quote:
Secondly, I was talking about the battery life. It is mediocre at best. I get decent battery life but I'm also not a ****** sitting on my phone 18 hours a day. I use it to check Instagram, answer calls, check email, and text throughout the day. Maybe the occasional game for 10-15 minutes while I am on the train, but that is it.
Even doing light usage I'm not getting more than 30 hours. Are you telling me you are? If so, post ss, because honestly I call bs.

Quote:
I never said there wasn't better out there. The phone works for me and what I need. I like the screen size and the snappiness of the phone. Oh, and I love the plastic. The battery life has not given me any issues.
So if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, shut the **** up.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:16 PM   #25
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
My battery life is just fine for daily life. Charge your phone at night and quit bitching, it's pathetic.
Are you a) too stupid to realize that it's not about the number of charges/day or b) too insecure about yourself that you get your panties in a twist when someone criticizes your product? Either way, THAT's pathetic.

Put me on ignore already if all you can do is defend your insecurities.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:17 PM   #26
Zero
Sass hole

Christ, lock this thread down already, No point talking to you morons.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:27 PM   #27
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Bitching about something that very little other people experience. No one is forcing you to keep the phone. Have you ever tried another battery? Either you have a phone problem or you have expectations that aren't possible with your device the way it is. Crying about it over and over on the Internet makes you the only moron here.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:29 PM   #28
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

I wish i had 30hrs of battery life on my phone.....

mine barely gets by 8-10
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:39 PM   #29
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Idiot doesn't realize he's still on ignore
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:11 PM   #30
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Bitching about something that very little other people experience. No one is forcing you to keep the phone. Have you ever tried another battery? Either you have a phone problem or you have expectations that aren't possible with your device the way it is. Crying about it over and over on the Internet makes you the only moron here.
Really you get more than 30 hrs of usage? I only get that if I barely look at it.

I love how you fandroids resort to another retarded argument when you hear something you don't like.

Quote:
I wish i had 30hrs of battery life on my phone.....

mine barely gets by 8-10
Don't you have some low end Lumia? WP 7.5-8 devices in my experience have way better battery life than that.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"