Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Default What do we need such powerful phones for again?

See topic.

Besides game apps, what awesome tech are we chasing that phones need to keep getting more powerful for at such a fast rate?

Or is it just the Texas thing, bigger/faster is always better?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
See topic.

Besides game apps, what awesome tech are we chasing that phones need to keep getting more powerful for at such a fast rate?

Or is it just the Texas thing, bigger/faster is always better?
Voice control definitely needs a good chunk of CPU, especially if they ever want to make it so it's not reliant on the cloud. Apps are getting more and more complicated, otherwise the newest apps would run on the oldest phones. Even Blackberry is beginning to see the err of their ways, though it took them about 3 years too long. This is the same exact thing that has been happening for decades on PC's, if you don't understand it then I'm not quite sure why you're even on R3D.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Ah ok, so its bloatware and games, got it.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Tizen
Custom User Title

Tizen is still being judged by the masses

Does it bother you?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisti View Post
Does it bother you?
Kind of. With all that power I would like to see less toy aspect crap and more productivity.

Elysian pretty much hit it with voice control as the ultimate use for phones IMO. So much more could be done and faster if it was done via voice, talking to it like telling a person do to something.

So in this sense, this phone tech is going too slow.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

My phone has been customised with custom ROM and tweaked kernel that allows up to 2GHz overclock. But I run it 3xx-5xxMHz most of the time, nearly all games runs fine at that speed including emulator like FPse. Though some HD games like Gangstar Vindication needs more than 1GHz to be smooth as it have a lot of things going on the screen at a time.

So yea, its game for me.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:33 PM   #7
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

We don't need it, per se.

We want it.

And what people want, people tend to get.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Ah ok, so its bloatware and games, got it.
To call it bloatware is to massively trivialize the gains software has made in the mobile market.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

What gains would those be? Apps aren't terribly complicated on any platform right now, except maybe games.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
What gains would those be? Apps aren't terribly complicated on any platform right now, except maybe games.
Just about to post the same thing, gains are very trivial currently. Initially 2-3 years ago, sure there were tons of new, innovative apps but now its pretty much stagnated. More power isn't doing much.

Siri, which has been around in different forms for what 2-3 years now, is in the right direction but its still cloud based. No net connect and you're dead in the water.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Initially 2-3 years ago, sure there were tons of new, innovative apps but now its pretty much stagnated. More power isn't doing much.
Just because you don't see innovative things popping up in the app markets, doesn't mean they don't exist. There are tons of things being developed for many professional disciplines to extend their work beyond their physic locations. However, you'll never see them offered (at least not in the near term) to common consumers.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Like what?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:39 PM   #13
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Really? I am amazed at the thread. Human innovation why do we need it? Why improve anything technological with that mind set.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:40 PM   #14
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Like what?
Lots of stuff going on in the medical field right now for mobile platforms. Here's a few of the many examples:

http://tinyurl.com/bltvx8s
http://tinyurl.com/7yd3xqe
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:41 PM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
Really? I am amazed at the thread. Human innovation why do we need it? Why improve anything technological with that mind set.
I'd rather have user demand drive innovation than arbitrary tech bumps to sell hardware.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:42 PM   #16
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Lots of stuff going on in the medical field right now for mobile platforms. Here's a few of the many examples:

http://tinyurl.com/bltvx8s
http://tinyurl.com/7yd3xqe
I don't see anything there that requires a quad core phone for example.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:02 PM   #17
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I'd rather have user demand drive innovation than arbitrary tech bumps to sell hardware.
You know people use to say why do we need a color phone too. Your seeing it as bumps, yet your failing to realize that they are able to pack that much into such a small form factor. Small bumps is how progress is made. Do you expect companies to sell a phone every 2yrs so the bumps are bigger to the consumer.

Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:06 PM   #18
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Dual core is about as much as any single person can really use, even in the computing world as well.

How many of you noticed a difference going from dual to quad core on your gaming rigs? I had a Phenom 555x2 OC'd to 4ghz on my rig and it performed actually better than my current Phenom 945x4 OC'd to 3.6ghz on a majority of the tasks I was doing.

I bet if I took a dual core Core i7 and a quad core Core i7 and clocked them at the same speed, you wouldn't be able to tell a single difference until you run some kind of benchmark software or heavy threading application.

Most of these phones are ridiculously overpowered for the kind of tasks they do. Back in the day, the idea that a BlackBerry ran 800mhz processor was ridiculous, and we laughed at the fact that average every day people even needed something of this speed.

The problem with all of this is that we've created a generation of people with very little patience, and very little knowledge of quality over quantity. Any small hiccup in their experience or slow down, they will whine and complain, whilst digesting volumes of useless garbage information from twitter, facebook, and other sources.

Last edited by VVanks : Nov 7, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:09 PM   #19
Zero
Sass hole

Considering most people are tied to 2-3 yr contracts, that's not a bad idea.

There are so many different avenues of innovation we could go with smartphones, many of them immediately practical like security (physical, software encryption), ruggedness (gorilla glass is pointing the way, now do the rest of the phone), or even good power efficiency.

I can't even think of anything that benefits from dual core now or on the horizon (outside of gaming you pedantic mofos), so moving to quad core is IMO going to be useless to early adopters.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:10 PM   #20
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVanks View Post
Dual core is about as much as any single person can really use, even in the computing world as well.

How many of you noticed a difference going from dual to quad core on your gaming rigs? I had a Phenom 555x2 OC'd to 4ghz on my rig and it performed actually better than my current Phenom 945x4 OC'd to 3.6ghz on a majority of the tasks I was doing.

I bet if I took a dual core Core i7 and a quad core Core i7 and clocked them at the same speed, you wouldn't be able to tell a single difference until you run some kind of benchmark software or heavy threading application.

Most of these phones are ridiculously overpowered for the kind of tasks they do. Back in the day, the idea that a BlackBerry ran 800mhz processor was ridiculous, and we laughed at the fact that average every day people even needed something of this speed.

The problem with all of this is that we've created a generation of people with very little patience, and very little knowledge of quality over quantity. Any small hiccup in their experience or slow down, they will whine and complain, whilst digesting volumes of useless garbage information from twitter, facebook, and other sources.
The difference was blatantly obvious going from dual core to quad in GTA4
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:15 PM   #21
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Considering most people are tied to 2-3 yr contracts, that's not a bad idea.

There are so many different avenues of innovation we could go with smartphones, many of them immediately practical like security (physical, software encryption), ruggedness (gorilla glass is pointing the way, now do the rest of the phone), or even good power efficiency.

I can't even think of anything that benefits from dual core now or on the horizon (outside of gaming you pedantic mofos), so moving to quad core is IMO going to be useless to early adopters.
I am really looking forward to having a phone that I can slap into a dock to use as a pc that does not lag. Imagine being able to carry a dock which is very light and thin and your phone duals as your laptop. Sure we have tablets but I like having a physical keyboard. Carrying a keyboard with a tablet is just too much for me.

Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:15 PM   #22
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Dual core is just a fad, same with quad core. It's absolutely pointless. I've using BlackBerry 9900 and iPhone 4's single core phones and they feel far more responsive than the HTC Sensation or the Samsung Galaxy S2.

There is absolutely no advantages to dual core until the software starts taking advantage of them, and even then there is still very little advantages. Threads are still going to be threads, and making them multithreaded is a progrmaming hassle that doesn't necessarily mean huge speed boosts across the board.

The only reason I see Dual and Quad cores becoming useful is in the future, hand held gaming will be purely on iphone / android, and possibly other productivity software like photoshop or movie editing that's integrated with your camera.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:17 PM   #23
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Dual core is just a fad, same with quad core. It's absolutely pointless. I've using BlackBerry 9900 and iPhone 4's single core phones and they feel far more responsive than the HTC Sensation or the Samsung Galaxy S2.
Stop playing with bootleg android phones.

Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:18 PM   #24
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:

There is absolutely no advantages to dual core until the software starts taking advantage of them, and even then there is still very little advantages. Threads are still going to be threads, and making them multithreaded is a progrmaming hassle that doesn't necessarily mean huge speed boosts across the board.

The only reason I see Dual and Quad cores becoming useful is in the future, hand held gaming will be purely on iphone / android, and possibly other productivity software like photoshop or movie editing that's integrated with your camera.
Surely you realize the JVM(and DVM) is multithreaded, right?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:18 PM   #25
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The difference was blatantly obvious going from dual core to quad in GTA4
Really? I'd say that's bad programming in my opinion. Most well programmed games that require multicore programming utilize dual core just fine. Starcraft 2 for instance, a game that requires a far more amount of CPU processing power than GTA 4 runs fine on dual core. Supreme Commander, which is a massive multicore game also is well optimized for dual core, with little gains for quad core (basically the sound engine is moved to the 3rd core but the rendering and pathfinding is still stuck on core 1 and core 2 so you get marginal improvements)

IMO GTA 4 is just poorly programmed if there's that big of a difference.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:20 PM   #26
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Stop fanboying android phones. I've tested all these phones out on multiple occasions. I'd say Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry and iPhone are the most responsive, followed close by Galaxy S2 and very far by HTC Sensation. The garbage that comes with those phones slow down the OS too much. Ice cream sandwich should close the gap but not by much.

Last edited by VVanks : Nov 7, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:24 PM   #27
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Or maybe they should stop bloating Android because from what i hear stock Android phones are pretty bloated and at times sluggish, while rooted/hacked ones are pretty fast (cuz you got rid of the bloat).
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:25 PM   #28
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Stop fanboying android phones. I've tested all these phones out on multiple occasions. I'd say Windows Phone 7, BlackBerry and iPhone are the most responsive, followed close by Galaxy S2 and very far by HTC Sensation. The garbage that comes with those phones slow down the OS too much. Ice cream sandwich should close the gap but not by much.
But then Ice Cream Sandwitch probably REQUIRES a dual core to run optimally.......
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:28 PM   #29
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
But then Ice Cream Sandwitch probably REQUIRES a dual core to run optimally.......
Well I mean they have hardware acceleration on for their UI, which improves the responsiveness by a big deal. I've tried the Xoom and the Galaxy Tab, the UI experience on those are much more acceptable
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:28 PM   #30
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Your telling me to stop fanboying android when I am using a 4s. Do you read your posts. Every opportunity you get you bash out androids being irresponsible and slow, which is far from the actual truth. Yea the phones come with a lot of bloat but the s2 even with all its bloat is not less responsive then a 4s, google any comparison video. I might even film you one myself. Let's not even get started on romed s2s. I give credit where it's due.