Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old May 22, 2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Default Battery life of your smartphones

I don't know if this thread existed (it isn't from my searches) so I made this one. How long does your smartphone last, generally? Since I switch to Android, the most I could get is 2 days with light usage. All the so called 'battery saving' programs just hurts battery life from my experience. It looks like the more programs I installed/stuff I put in SD card, the worse the battery life get. My last phones were S.E G900 using Symbian UIQ3, could last good 5 days with very light use, or a couple of day if I use WiFi and play some games on it.

So how's your smartphones going? Any tips to increase battery life? This thread isn't specific to Android only, I wonder how Symbian ^3, Symbian S60, WP7, WebOS and iOS stack up
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Haven't charged my phone in 5 days. Heavy usage for me is about 2 days battery life. iPhone 4

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

HTC Hero... Two days if it has very light usage. Less than a day if I'm on the phone or surfing the net with it for a couple of hours.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 22, 2011, 11:24 AM   #4
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Incredible - Depends on how much I use it. I can go 24 hrs on one charge or 15 hrs. Getting through the day isn't an issue.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 12:20 PM   #5
EMunEeE
Formerly MrEMan4K

EMunEeE is still being judged by the masses

Battery life sucks on my Galaxy S running Android 2.2.1.
Old May 22, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Welcome to the Smartphone age where battery life absolutely sucks.

I have to charge the thing every night.

Used as a phone i think i can get like 2 days, used as a smartphone, its battery's half gone halfway through the day.....
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 03:37 PM   #7
eNforcer
Radeon Northern Islands

eNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird singseNforcer knows why the caged bird sings

My Nexus S is doing pretty good with CM7 ROM. I usually come home with %60 left. I play with it too much doing pretty much nothing but clicking around and customizing lol. In my battery stats, my display is 60%

I check e-mail, browse the web at lunch and palmary weather does an update every 2 hours.

My HTC Dream (G1) that I gave to my brother (Super D 1.9.3 Donut ROM) lasts like 1 hour after browsing the web and other light activities. That battery is toast.
Old May 22, 2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
Welcome to the Smartphone age where battery life absolutely sucks.
My old moto flip phones (v525, razor) werent much better than my iPhone. I think I even charged them more often.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 22, 2011, 07:55 PM   #9
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

As I said earlier, my Optimus One gets 3-4 days with light usage/voice/texting only. Otherwise it lasts a couple of days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2011, 10:05 PM   #10
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Looks like my phone doesn't seem so bad anyway. Do you guys use any specific program to control the frequency/disable some stuff when idle or just let the phone decides for itself?

I use Juice Defender a couple of days ago, it don't work well. Power drain is worse than it should, draining massive 14% for 6-8 hours when idle! Currently trying CPU tuner, power drain when idle for 8 hours is mere 4%! Way better than SetCPU achieved (about 10% on same occasion) I disable lots of stuff (WiFi, 2G network only, no BT and such) and downclock massively when idle though, but that what it SHOULD do when the phone is not being used. I noticed some program suck CPU power when idle so I uninstalled quite plenty of stuff and just leave what necessary.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old May 23, 2011, 09:24 AM   #11
1madman1
Rage3D Veteran

1madman1 is still being judged by the masses

My Nokia N8 gets 1.5 to 3.5 days depending on use and radio options. It could probably be streched some more if i used 'power save' mode, but that disabes too much for me to bother with it outside emergencies.
1madman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 07:32 PM   #12
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

Evo 4g on android 2.4.x - 2 days and some change MAX. Very light usage. On average I would say i'm a Medium usage person, and day to day I get about 1 day 4 hours. Just started getting into undervolting, we'll see how that helps.
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 12:25 AM   #13
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Custom roms really do a great job on battery life. My epic use to crap out near the end of the day. I've been using my phone to text, play a few games on the train and it's now 1:30am at night unhooked it off the the charger at 8am and its at 42%. Hardly anything to complain about. My iphone 8gb, 3g, 3gs was quite a bit worse, especially my 3g when I had it. My work droid recently got owned by accident and it got temporarily replaced with an Iphone 4 (even though i wanted the thunderbolt). Battery life is a tad worse on it then my romed epic and all I really use it for is to read work email when it comes in.

Last edited by nycdarkness : May 24, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 04:43 AM   #14
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

charge it every day. But I use it ALOT every day, Iphone 4

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 09:25 AM   #15
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Enough standby not to care or 9-10 hours of speech time depending on network conditions, Nokia E90+97.

Still blows any Android phone + iPhone no matter how tweaked off the table. I'd rather use my phone than recharge it all the time, even if the UI/OS isn't as capable.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 10:35 AM   #16
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

12 hours on my EVO with moderate usage (texting, web, netflix, etc)
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 11:37 PM   #17
Fat_Daddy_Cool
Poundmaker's Descent

Fat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete stranger

on my Sony/Ericsson Xperia X10 - I **** you not one week heavy usage.
but to be fair I ordered a special battery that comes with a black cover my phone is heavy but I like it, it gives it weight and you know you can fall and not have the phone drop from a pocket. How I lost three other phones
Fat_Daddy_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 11:59 PM   #18
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Lets see, I was off all day today. Texted about 8 text messages. Did a 10 min phone call.

Resault: 58% battery life left.

Samsung Galaxy S

Cant wait to get rid of this phone. Heavy usage I'm lucky to get 4hrs. And I've had new batteries, and a whole other phone. Thing blows ass.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 06:43 AM   #19
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You need to fully root it and get a custom ROM with an SBC kernel. I was getting 7 hours out of my EVO on stock config. It was the hackers that brought it upto 12
Old May 25, 2011, 07:44 AM   #20
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Usually have about 55-70% battery life remaining when I go to bed (day starts at 6, ends at 23), moderate usage. I know it was a lot worse when using stock rom and kernel, but that was so long ago I don't remember exactly how much worse it was.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:33 AM   #21
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
You need to fully root it and get a custom ROM with an SBC kernel. I was getting 7 hours out of my EVO on stock config. It was the hackers that brought it upto 12
ive done several roms. syndicates, midnights. bonsai... and a few other small ones. nothing made a huge difference. only extended by about an hour..
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 09:55 AM   #22
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
ive done several roms. syndicates, midnights. bonsai... and a few other small ones. nothing made a huge difference. only extended by about an hour..
Have you tried an sbc kernel?
Old May 25, 2011, 12:29 PM   #23
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Maybe I should hunt for extra capacity batteries instead of looking for modded ROM

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:40 PM   #24
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
Maybe I should hunt for extra capacity batteries instead of looking for modded ROM
Your battery drain is still ridiculous. I'd flash a new ROM and get it working properly first, but that's me.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old May 25, 2011, 01:23 PM   #25
Fat_Daddy_Cool
Poundmaker's Descent

Fat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
I really get a week before I need to charge. The battery is almost three times bigger that the little pissant battery that it came with thick wise that is.

I bought 2 battery thinking that my pig of a phone would need to carry a back up. I haven't even open the second battery package, didn't need to.

Cameron Sino Technology is the name on the battery.
Fat_Daddy_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 04:25 PM   #26
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I can get two days at most out of my Atrix if I don't use it much, and keep it on the maximum battery saver. I don't have any crazy roms or anything though, just the stock stuff.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 06:26 PM   #27
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Your battery drain is still ridiculous. I'd flash a new ROM and get it working properly first, but that's me.
I wish I could do that but the problem is the phone is still spanking new, and on some places (especially on where those custom modders live) it simply isn't available yet. With that the ROM inside of this phone is old and a battery drainer. Other phone that have the same spec but different names were:

Cherry Mobile Magnum HD A400 (Philippines, Gingerbread update is expected next month)
OliveSmart VS300 (India, supposed to released with Gingerbread)
WellcoM A99 (Thailand, have updated 2.2.2 on their site which I have flashed it to, Gingerbread coming next month)
CSL Blueberry Mi 410 (Indonesia)
Viewsonic Viewpad 4 (Gingerbread I assume, but not available worldwide yet only just recently released in Taiwan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Daddy_Cool View Post
I really get a week before I need to charge. The battery is almost three times bigger that the little pissant battery that it came with thick wise that is.

I bought 2 battery thinking that my pig of a phone would need to carry a back up. I haven't even open the second battery package, didn't need to.

Cameron Sino Technology is the name on the battery.
Thank you for sharing There is also Malaysian homegrown higher capacity battery company called Sun Global. Their previous model (CSL Mi300) could use Nokia battery, so I assume this one is no different but I need to find out which Nokia model is compatible first before buying anything. What is the capacity of the battery?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.

Last edited by Apocalypsee : May 25, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old May 25, 2011, 06:55 PM   #28
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Rad2owns is still being judged by the masses

Nokia N8 7-10 days.
That is with power savings off.
If you Fold The Cure will Come!!!!!
Fold On Forever!!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=FFFFFF
Your Thoughts Will Define Your Destiny.
Hidden variables are everywhere.
BF3 KOz1

Last edited by Rad2owns : May 25, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Rad2owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 02:40 AM   #29
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

the person/company that makes a battery that is 3x times better than the ones now will be rich beyond their dreams

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 07:02 PM   #30
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
the person/company that makes a battery that is 3x times better than the ones now will be rich beyond their dreams
There are actually numerous better battery technologies out there, but they're all too expensive or difficult to produce that they aren't economically viable right now.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote