Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Dec 7, 2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
brc64
Zeekyboogydoog!

brc64 is still being judged by the masses

Default wii battery life / rechargeable battery questions

It looks like I'm going to need to buy a battery charger and some rechargeable AAs before long. I've had my console for less than 3 weeks and already I'm in the red with the included batteries.

This is one of the main reasons I'm opposed to wireless technology. I mean, at least with the Xbox 360 and PS3, you have the option of playing wired if you want. And both of those systems have official rechargeable batteries available. But anyways...

Is there anything in particular to look for when looking into rechargeable batteries? Is there a particularly brand that outperforms others? What about chargers... should I spend the extra $10 and get the "15 minute" chargers, or are those not all they're cracked up to be?
brc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:49 PM   #2
Someotherdude
Radeon Evergreen

Someotherdude is still being judged by the masses

Costco has a set of Duracell 2400 mAh (look for at least 2000 mAh {milliamp hours - basically how much charge it holds} ) NiMH + charger. For $29.95, you get 6 AA, 2 AAA, and a 15 minute charger. It's a decent deal. This should work great for the wiimotes.

With 6 AA's, you can have 2 working wiimotes, and keep one set of batteries fully charged all the time.
Someotherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 01:40 AM   #3
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sMashPiranha is still being judged by the masses

Just remember faster charge = more heat and overall shorter lifetime of the battery. Might not matter if you can get batteries for cheap but I always use the slow charge.
sMashPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 8, 2006, 04:17 AM   #4
AndY1
Radeon R300

AndY1 is still being judged by the masses

I have 4 AA 2700mAh GP rechargables + 8 hour charger
- Radeon9800 flashed to Radeon9800Pro(400core/360memory)
AndY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 05:08 AM   #5
chame
Radeon R300

chame is still being judged by the masses

Unlike the li-ion and li-polymer, the only way to know if the niquel based batteries are charged is the temperature, it increases when they are ready. Usually cheap chargers measure the charge with time, they mention 8 hours charge because its the theorical time needed to charge the batteries at about 1/10 capacity of the battery.

If the charger uses 200mah then it will take 10 hours to charge a 2000mah battery , bigger currents will affect battery life.

Anyway who cares, batteries are so cheap...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 07:30 PM   #6
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc64 View Post
It looks like I'm going to need to buy a battery charger and some rechargeable AAs before long. I've had my console for less than 3 weeks and already I'm in the red with the included batteries.

This is one of the main reasons I'm opposed to wireless technology. I mean, at least with the Xbox 360 and PS3, you have the option of playing wired if you want. And both of those systems have official rechargeable batteries available. But anyways...

Is there anything in particular to look for when looking into rechargeable batteries? Is there a particularly brand that outperforms others? What about chargers... should I spend the extra $10 and get the "15 minute" chargers, or are those not all they're cracked up to be?
The highest performing NiMh batteris are the Sanyo Industrial grade 2700mAh AAs...they charge to 3000mAh+ in some cases.

Quick chargers aren't the way to go...high charge current equals lots of heat and deteriorated battery performance.

I'd go with a quality charger like the La Crosse BC-900 charger that has so many features (like refreshing old batteries, LCD readout for voltage, capacity, etc.)

Look for the batteries and charger I listed at http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 07:37 PM   #7
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc64 View Post

It's just a damn battery. Get the cheapest rechargeable you can get within reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 09:32 AM   #8
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
It's just a damn battery. Get the cheapest rechargeable you can get within reason.
If you're just gonna use them for a controller then ya, I wouldn't spend much. But if you're gonna buy some extra batteries for other applications then I'd get some good batts.

At Wal-Mart the Energizer 2500mAh NIMh AAs are really cheap and they're amazing batteries
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote