Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 21, 2014, 08:48 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Default Tablet/Reader: Graphic Novels

I am taking a course that deals with graphic novels/comic books. I'm a bit fussy when it comes to my books, and it drives me around the bend if I damage them. So I figure nows a good time to get a tablet beyond the cheapy 7 in, that I use for Torque with relevant OBD2 adapter. Beside the fact that it's screen sucks for viewing angles, and it's not exactly the most speedy unit.

I'm thinking something in the 7 to 8 inch range for display size would be best.

The Dell Venue 8 Pro clocks in at $299 + $24.99 for the pen. After having to use a accidental damage warranty, should I think about the $$$ for the extensions and upgrades?

Similarly the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 is around $240, but no pen, and rolls with Android.

Any other options I should be looking at? Not going for an iPad, as me and iTunes really don't mesh well.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:31 AM   #2
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Been reading some comics on my Galaxy Note 10.1, been pretty great.
I would probably recommend a screen around that size to get a full page in portrait mode.
Havent tried using a 7 or 8" though so, but that could be worth keeping in mind for viewing full pages, I know some apps (like marvels own app) allow you to go from pane to pane and such.
If a comicbook is around the size of a A4 paper, it´s about 14" diagonal originally.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I strongly recommend moving up from 8" to 10" or more. And a 16:10 screen is noticeably better than 16:9.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 23, 2014, 08:14 AM   #4
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Why does 2 inches seem to cost $200...

I wonder if something like a Kobo Aura HD would work, but I don't think there are colour versions of e-ink yet.

Reason I was tossing the Galaxy tab in there is because the 8" version has the same screen res as the 10" version. I can definitely see the advantage to the higher res 10" 16:10 displays though.

Heatware
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:07 PM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Could try something like a refurb from newegg for $50 more.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SAMSUNG-Galax...491#vi-content

Won't be sharpest looking screen with 150ppi, but I think it should do fine. Let's face it, most comics are not rendered as razor sharp images.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 3, 2014, 09:53 AM   #6
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Damn it... Stupid Samsung... The specs on the Tab3 Pro are mighty fine... The screen alone makes me want to hold off.

Should I wait for the Pro?

As well, 16:10 is just simply better for reading than 16:9, in portrait mode, it seems there is no side to side scrolling, while 16:9 just seems to require scrolling, no matter what.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Feb 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Why? Do you mean the Tab 10.1 Pro?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:48 PM   #8
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Why? Do you mean the Tab 10.1 Pro?
Whoops! That is the one.

Though the new Note 10.1 gets all the speed bumps and the screen upgrade as well.

I looked at the Nexus 10, but there are so many rumours of there being an update coming for it soon, and if it's like the 7, the new one will crush the old one.

Heatware
Old Feb 3, 2014, 12:49 PM   #9
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
As well, 16:10 is just simply better for reading than 16:9, in portrait mode, it seems there is no side to side scrolling, while 16:9 just seems to require scrolling, no matter what.
Sounds like you should be able to set the reader to fit to width instead of to avoid vertical scrolling, you get a bit more border on top/bottom but that should be preferable to having a small amount of vertical scroll.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Whoops! That is the one.

Though the new Note 10.1 gets all the speed bumps and the screen upgrade as well.

I looked at the Nexus 10, but there are so many rumours of there being an update coming for it soon, and if it's like the 7, the new one will crush the old one.
Again it comes down to price, and how the updated specs will affect your use.

For strictly comic reading, I don't know that a higher res screen will be that noticeable (remember the source material). And you'd have to also consider if that possibly marginal difference is worth the price increase (which I'm guessing would be to double your $200 budget).

Incremental spec bumps also don't always translate to better performance or user experience, since the bottleneck is apps/games being designed for older hardware anyways.

Android device manufacturers are also releasing updates every year or less. So if you hold off buying for something new, you're going to be waiting forever.

Avoid the PC spec mentality and try it out in person if possible.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 3, 2014, 01:06 PM   #11
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Sounds like you should be able to set the reader to fit to width instead of to avoid vertical scrolling, you get a bit more border on top/bottom but that should be preferable to having a small amount of vertical scroll.
Depends, legibility is also another factor. Sometimes being zoomed in helps more than seeing the whole frame. A wider AR in portrait gives you the best of both worlds (larger picture on screen, no scroll). I love my 16:9 tablet but would sell it in a heartbeat for something comparable in 16:10.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Feb 11, 2014, 08:51 AM   #12
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Read the latest Vivotab is pretty bitchin', I'll post a link.

edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mic...8.1,25995.html

Echo Chamber - "an environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered."

This is considered trolling and a personal attack according to Curio. FYI in case you decide to step in there. I wonder if the definition of irony is known...
AdelphiaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Zero
Sass hole

Looks good

Pricier than my T100 but it does have some extras.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"