Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Default App for OCR using phone's camera

This is what I want to do: take a picture of a page from a book, have the phone perform optical character recognition on the picture, create a pdf from multiple pictures. Are there good apps that do this on iOS/Android?

Would save me a ton of time and money if I can avoid photocopying reference material at the library. Any ideas?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:58 PM   #2
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Man, I had one of these on the iPhone and it did a pretty good job as long as you got a clear shot. Let me see if I can check my purchases and see which one it is.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:16 PM   #3
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Nothing nearly as reliable as what you would find on the PC.

Why not just snap the photos with your phone, and then run them through a business class OCR program (rather than a smartphone app), like Omnipage or Acrobat on your PC?

I've tried a few OCR apps on smartphones (iOs and Android), and they have left me wanting.
At work, on the other hand, I've set one of my teams up with a scanning solution consisting of Omnipage, and we haven't been let down yet.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Yeah that's the alternative. Space limitation is the only issue.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Yeah that's the alternative. Space limitation is the only issue.
Now, there are a few scanning apps that you may want to try on the markets that will save you space in terms of file sizes and get you going in the right direction if you want to apply OCR to them through your PC at a later time.

These will take any images you snap and build PDF documents out of them.

There's "Document Scanner" and "CamScanner - Phone PDF Creator" on the Android side of things, both of which I have installed and used in the past.

Can't remember which iPhone app I was using, but those two above will get you started at least, and are amongst the most popular and reliable solutions on Android.

Last edited by somewon : Sep 24, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Will check them out, thanks.

logical, lemme know if you find anything.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:53 AM   #7
Mark3264
Radeon R300

Mark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyMark3264 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

CamScanner

I used this once to scan a page I needed. Worked fine.
Mark3264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:18 AM   #8
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I use CamScanner constantly on Android. Any time I have receipts or something that may get thrown out, or even notes to take with me to the store, works great and mimics a scanned page pretty damn well.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote