Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 31, 2004, 01:33 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shady078
Radeon R700

shady078 is still being judged by the masses

Am I the only one who thinks that this game looks awesome? The textures are decent (for the most part) but the shadow and light (especially light pouring in from windows) blow away everything else I've seen.. That being said, I'm having alot of fun with the game.. more fun that I've had on my pc in quite some time. I'm playing on Expert mode and trying not to douse torches or knock people out, but on the first pagan mission there just aren't enough places to hide.. so I'm knocking out everyone i see
Gigabyte X58A-U3DR
Sapphire HD7970 3GB
OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD (OS Drive) fw-1.41
WD Caviar 500GB 7200rpm hdd w/16mb cache
Antec TruePower Trio 850 Modular Power Supply
Silverstone Raven RV-02
Windows 7 Profesional x64
Apple 27" LED Cinema Display
shady078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 02:06 AM   #92
ATMArage
Revulva

ATMArage is still being judged by the masses

Has anyone tried "run 'n' running" this game yet? It's not too hard to run through levels just knifing everyone at a breakneck pace. Funny as hell too, especially when you're chasing a guy through the castle and no one comes to help because they're already dead

"Ergo, buttplug = gay"
~Missus
ATMArage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 03:08 AM   #93
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by ATMArage
Has anyone tried "run 'n' running" this game yet? It's not too hard to run through levels just knifing everyone at a breakneck pace. Funny as hell too, especially when you're chasing a guy through the castle and no one comes to help because they're already dead
Funniest part for me so far has been in the demo, I snuck up behind some guy. Wasn't a guard just some guy in the castle. Anyway I hit him in the back of his head and before he fell he says "I think I'll take a nap" And then he hit the ground. I lmao!
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 31, 2004, 03:13 AM   #94
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesFuku2 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally posted by Vengeance
Funniest part for me so far has been in the demo, I snuck up behind some guy. Wasn't a guard just some guy in the castle. Anyway I hit him in the back of his head and before he fell he says "I think I'll take a nap" And then he hit the ground. I lmao!

Old May 31, 2004, 08:29 AM   #95
Ulysses 31
Radeon Northern Islands

Ulysses 31 is still being judged by the masses

Was anyone able to find all 3 special loot items on the second lvl? I found the gilded helm and the medallion in Lord Eldrem room but I can't find the 3rd one(and 3 are required for expert) =/
Ulysses 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 04:47 PM   #96
Fred_nz
Radeon R300

Fred_nz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses 31
Was anyone able to find all 3 special loot items on the second lvl? I found the gilded helm and the medallion in Lord Eldrem room but I can't find the 3rd one(and 3 are required for expert) =/
No doubt you read the note written by Lord Eldred about the painting, right? *hint* *hint*
Fred_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 05:22 PM   #97
Ulysses 31
Radeon Northern Islands

Ulysses 31 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred_nz
No doubt you read the note written by Lord Eldred about the painting, right? *hint* *hint*
Yeah I finally found it but how do you get there? I had to stack crates for almost an hour till I could finally reach the balcony...

Is there an easier way?
Ulysses 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 05:31 PM   #98
Fred_nz
Radeon R300

Fred_nz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses 31
Yeah I finally found it but how do you get there? I had to stack crates for almost an hour till I could finally reach the balcony...

Is there an easier way?
Yes. If you go up the stairs, round the top, past the servant and to the locked room containing a chest then have a go at shifting boxes...

You might like what you find.
Fred_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 06:13 PM   #99
GoldenNugget
Ummm... Nugget?

GoldenNugget is still being judged by the masses

Where can I download the 4.4s?

EDIT: nevermind I found them

Last edited by GoldenNugget : May 31, 2004 at 06:18 PM.
GoldenNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2004, 07:25 PM   #100
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

SH64 is still being judged by the masses

I prefer Thief 3 with bloom ... after all the game is all about lighting effects & sneaking in the shadows & the bloom is doing a great job here .
i'm playing the game with all settings maxed , 1280x1024 , Bloom , 4xAF .. runs pretty fine for me (except for some occasional framerate drops) .

the gameplay is great & sound is amazing espeically when you own a SB Audigy 2
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 08:41 AM   #101
Bootkicker
Radeon R200

Bootkicker is still being judged by the masses

It is pretty hard to read through all of the noise out there each time a game is launched to really see what people think of it. I don't care what game it is, you will always get the following kinds of comments:

(1) Game runs like crap/won't run at all - why the game always seems to run fine on my computer, I have no idea.

(2) Game looks like crap - check out the Far Cry boards, people say this stuff with a straight face.

(3) Not as good as/ inferior to [insert name of game]/Does not live up to hype - Interesting that no game ever lives up to all the games that game before it. I guess there hasn't been a good game since Doom.

These kinds of comments are all part of the background noise that comes out with each game. Look past the noise, I think that Thief 3 is really pretty good.

Now some games are bad. Some games are great. Most fall somewhere in the middle. Thief 3 is a good game. It looks good. It runs fine. It is pretty fun to play.

The graphics are worse than Far Cry but better than DX:IW. They are kind of inconsistent and it is maddening. Look at the wagon wheels, for instance. Why can't they be round? Is it so hard to get round wheels? It is 2004, for Christ's sake and Ionstorm is releasing a game where wheels are comprised of interconnected straight lines. On the other had, I think that character models are pretty good. Textures are also pretty good.

As you would expect, the shadows in the game really shine. In some ways shadows are done better than in any other game to date. Lights cast shadows on everything. Walk in front of a light and you will see your own shadow. Shadows add to imersion considerably. I saw the game on an old ATI 9000 series card and, without shadows, it is a completely different game.

Ionstorm prides itself on a kind of self-directed gameplay. You are not boxed in and are free to make your own way through the game. This is good and bad. It is good when you act creatively to solve a problem but bad when you spend 20 minutes trying to find someplace that you have to go. It kind of took me a while to get into the plot, but it was worth it.

Lets face it Ion Storm got a lot of justified criticism for certain aspects of DX:IW. I happened to like DX:IW alot, but one thin I hated were the smal levels and all of those load times waiting to switch zones. Well, there is good news and bad news. Zones are bigger here and load times are less (but still annoying). I think that Ion Storm was to deep into the game to change everything. Note to future developers - NEVER DESIGN A GAME FOR THE PC THIS WAY AGAIN.

The plot is very good. The engine is stable. It is a fun game to play.
512MB PC2700 Samsung
ATI Radeon 9700
Maxtor 7200 80GB
WD 40GB 7200
Samsung Combo Drive
Bootkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:05 AM   #102
jws
Rage3D Veteran

jws is still being judged by the masses

I had a blast playing Thief: DS over the holiday weekend. Between family bbqs and working on the house, I spent the rest of my time sneaking around in the shadows and knocking taffers over the head
3000+ barton / Abit NF7-S 1.2 / 2x512 Corsair DDR3200 / ATI Radeon 9700pro / Catalyst 6.2 / DX9.0c / TurboLink 420W PSU / Maxtor 120gig Z01P120 HD / Verbatim (NEC ND-3540a) DVD+-RW/R writer / Verbatim 40/12/48 CDRW / Initio SCSI controller / Samsung 955df / Windows XP Pro w/SP2 / Bytecc ME320U2 external USB2 enclosure with Maxtor 120gig HD

~~~
Multitasking - screwing up several things at once.
jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:05 AM   #103
Frazas
Radeon R520

Frazas is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Bootkicker
(1) Game runs like crap/won't run at all - why the game always seems to run fine on my computer, I have no idea.
IMHO it does run like crap. Am my rig isn't something to throw in the trash.

Quote:
Game looks like crap - check out the Far Cry boards, people say this stuff with a straight face.
It does look like crap, considering that we are in 2004 with Directx 9c, Pixel&Vertex shaders at 3.0, Radeon X800 and Geforces 5950. If this game had come out 2 years ago it would have good graphics. Now they are just average at best, IMHO.

Quote:
I guess there hasn't been a good game since Doom.
I think that you're overstating. Just look at the following examples that have had loads of hype and have turned to be great games to remember (since Doom): Quake, Quake 2, Diablo, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, Starcraft, Unreal, Half-Life, Baldur's gate, Thief, The Dark Project, Unreal Tournament, Planescape, Quake 3, Thief 2, Need for Speed Series, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever, undying, Baldur's Gate 2, Diablo 2, Max Payne, Operation Flashpoint, Medal of Honor, Jedi Knight 2, Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft 3, Mafia, Battlefield 1942, No one Lives Forever 2, Morrowind, Silent Hill series, Splinter Cell series, Jedi Knight 3, Halo, Max Payne 2, Call of Duty, Need for Speed series, Knights of the Old Republic, Prince of Persia:Sands of Time, Far Cry, and this are just some of the great titles of the past few years.

Quote:
Now some games are bad. Some games are great. Most fall somewhere in the middle. Thief 3 is a good game. It looks good. It runs fine. It is pretty fun to play.
IMHO, it doesn't look that great (shadows and lights are well done). It definitely doesn't run fine considering the average graphics. I'm just hopping it will be fun to play.

Quote:
I think that Ion Storm was to deep into the game to change everything. Note to future developers - NEVER DESIGN A GAME FOR THE PC THIS WAY AGAIN.
I agree 100%. They should make a case study out of Ion Storm.
Frazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:17 AM   #104
MuffinMan
Radeon R700

MuffinMan is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Frazas
I think that you're overstating. Just look at the following examples that have had loads of hype and have turned to be great games to remember (since Doom): Quake, Quake 2, Diablo, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, Starcraft, Unreal, Half-Life, Baldur's gate, Thief, The Dark Project, Unreal Tournament, Planescape, Quake 3, Thief 2, Need for Speed Series, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever, undying, Baldur's Gate 2, Diablo 2, Max Payne, Operation Flashpoint, Medal of Honor, Jedi Knight 2, Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft 3, Mafia, Battlefield 1942, No one Lives Forever 2, Morrowind, Silent Hill series, Splinter Cell series, Jedi Knight 3, Halo, Max Payne 2, Call of Duty, Need for Speed series, Knights of the Old Republic, Prince of Persia:Sands of Time, Far Cry, and this are just some of the great titles of the past few years.
And therein lies the problem. I look at that list and see many games that I would personally consider 'average' at best. It's all down to personal prederence, I suppose.
MuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:30 AM   #105
Frazas
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally posted by MuffinMan
And therein lies the problem. I look at that list and see many games that I would personally consider 'average' at best. It's all down to personal prederence, I suppose.
Exactly. Some of them aren't my favorites either but they all have been critically acclaimed as being some of the best in it's genre.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:21 AM   #106
Chiggs
Radeon R300

Chiggs is still being judged by the masses

Thief: Deadly Shadows looks like crap?

1. Your monitor is ****.
2. Your gamma is ****ed.
3. Your video card stinks.
4. You haven't "tweaked" the game.
5. Your computer is garbage.
6. You have macular degeneration.

There you have it.

Last edited by Chiggs : Jun 1, 2004 at 02:43 PM.
Chiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:40 AM   #107
Bootkicker
Radeon R200

Bootkicker is still being judged by the masses

It seems like some people never played a game that they like.

That list of games had some really good one on there. To suggest that all the games are just average is pretty cynical, IMO. Why play games if they are so average?

Thief does not look like crap. Granted, the bar has been raised. It is no Far Cry. The polygonal wheels and sprite grass are evidence of that. Most of the rest is really very good though.

I challenge anyone to name better looking games that are out NOW! There are some. Pandora Tomorrow, Far Cry, for instance. But Thief 3 is up there.
512MB PC2700 Samsung
ATI Radeon 9700
Maxtor 7200 80GB
WD 40GB 7200
Samsung Combo Drive
Bootkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:53 AM   #108
Frazas
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiggs

1. Your monitor is ****.
2. Your gamma is ****ed.
4. Your computer is garbage.
5. You have macular degeneration.

There you have it.
The strong point of the engine are it's shadows and light effects. They are very well done and are probably some of the best made yet BUT it's textures look like a game from 2 years ago and, IMHO, it breaks the engine. I'm hoping that someone does a texture pack for the game. I still think that Far Cry has the best engine available to this day(overall). And Doom 3 and HL2 are just around the corner...

Regarding your remarks:

1. a 20" TFT from HP is hardly ****.
2. My gamma is fine.
3. a 9700 Pro running at 360/330 is a very good card. Not top of the line but hardly garbage.
4. a Barton running at 2500mhz with 1Gb of RAM is garbage? I'd like to see your garbage bin and see if I find something better there.
5. ....... takes one to know one.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 10:56 AM   #109
black hole sun
Hey guys!

black hole sun is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

1. Your monitor is ****.
2. Your gamma is ****ed.
4. Your computer is garbage.
5. You have macular degeneration.

There you have it.
You are an idiot.

1. A dell 1800FP DFP is hardly ****
2. Um, no.
3. 9800XT
4. 2.4GHz 1GB DDR SB audigy 2 and with abovementioned gfx card
5. .........

Game still looks and runs like poo.
black hole sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:25 PM   #110
Chiggs
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally posted by black hole sun
You are an idiot.

1. A dell 1800FP DFP is hardly ****
2. Um, no.
3. 9800XT
4. 2.4GHz 1GB DDR SB audigy 2 and with abovementioned gfx card
5. .........

Game still looks and runs like poo.

Really? Am I the idiot? Well... what would you call someone with a Dell 1800FP DFP, 9800XT, Audigy 2, and a decent processor with a boatload of ram that still can't seem to get Thief: Deadly Shadows to run at a decent framerate? ***REMOVED*** Guess you never learned how to tweak a default.ini file to fit your specific computer's needs, eh? You can do this with a lot of games.

http://forums.ionstorm.com/index.php?showtopic=210541

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83310

You can improve the game's performance quite a bit if you're up to it. Or, you can go play Far Cry (which, I agree, does have the better engine - but you'd be missing out on a great game with a great story - something Far Cry can't really claim).

Last edited by Chiggs : Jun 1, 2004 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:34 PM   #111
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Easy with the personal attacks folks. Well this game has sure stirred up alot of controversy! I believe, if nothing else, this game will reach more folks than the previous 2. Controversy can be a good thing.

I was @ futureshop @ lunch and almost bought it. If I did I'd be divorced in 3.4 microseconds. Luckily I forced myself to put it down and walk out. I did see that there was a bundle with 'Alice' , 'Dungeon Keeper2' and 'Undying' for $20 I might have to pick that one up. I'll wait for Thief 3 to get cheaper. Gothic 2 is $29 now and that was only 6-8 months ago so I'll just wait another 6 months or so. I can't afford new. Mayhaps I'll get the demo tonite. Still have to finish Deus Ex , Hitman2 and Gothic2 yet!

Whoever says there are never any good games comming to PC is on crack. I can't keep up. Still a year behind yet.
DiaperJe|\|i3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:36 PM   #112
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

DiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete strangerDiaperJe|\|i3 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Really? Am I the idiot? Well... what would you call someone with a Dell 1800FP DFP, 9800XT, Audigy 2, and a decent processor with a boatload of ram that still can't seem to get Thief: Deadly Shadows to run at a decent framerate? How about ****-for-brains? Lazy? Do those descriptions work for you? Guess you never learned how to tweak a default.ini file to fit your specific computer's needs, eh? You can do this with a lot of games.

You can improve the game's performance quite a bit if you're up to it. Or, you can go play Far Cry (which, I agree, does have the better engine - but you'd be missing out on a great game with a great story - something Far Cry can't really claim).
Hey Chiggs, better chill on the tude. You will be a mod statistic if you keep this up!

edit: valid point or not...
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:47 PM   #113
black hole sun
Hey guys!

black hole sun is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Really? Am I the idiot? Well... what would you call someone with a Dell 1800FP DFP, 9800XT, Audigy 2, and a decent processor with a boatload of ram that still can't seem to get Thief: Deadly Shadows to run at a decent framerate? How about ****-for-brains? Lazy? Do those descriptions work for you? Guess you never learned how to tweak a default.ini file to fit your specific computer's needs, eh? You can do this with a lot of games.

How bout you show me one tweak, just one, in either of those threads, that improves performance? Hmmm, didn't think so. I never said I couldnt get a playable framerate. I merely said it runs like complete ass in many areas.

Edited so I don't get banned

-- Abul Ala al-Ma`arri, 1057 A.D.

Last edited by black hole sun : Jun 1, 2004 at 12:50 PM.
black hole sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 01:48 PM   #114
Chiggs
Radeon R300

Sorry for the personal attack, but hey, you called me an idiot. Granted the reasons I provided were somewhat inflammatory, but with your setup, you should be getting around 35 - 45 fps. Just keep in mind, this isn't a pure speed, twitch game like UT2K4. And for the life of me, I cannot figure out why you think this game looks ugly. Now DX:IW is ****ing ugly, which is why I'm a little confused about all the Thief 3 hate. The boys at Ion Storm did a pretty good job on it. In fact, there's a level in the game called Shalebridge Castle, which ranks among the best levels ever created.

Anyhow, in the default.ini file in your Thief 3 directory, scroll down until you see a section called engine.gameengine. In that section, there should be a line called "cachesizemeg" - it's probably set to 1 - try changing it to 4 or 6; however, somebody actually suggested putting 80% of your ram there, though. Regardless what you do, this will most likely help you out. Also, see the post below.

P.S. Downloading the minimalist HUD patch makes quite a bit of difference as far as framerate. It also reduces the console-sized icon graphics.

http://forums.ionstorm.com/index.php?showtopic=210775

Last edited by Chiggs : Jun 1, 2004 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 01:56 PM   #115
jws
Rage3D Veteran

jws is still being judged by the masses

Here are some tweaks that are supposed to help:

Code:
THIEF 3 TWEAKS..... / DEFAULT.INI

CacheSizeMegs=64(was=1)

MinDesiredFrameRate=50.0(was=30)

Use32BitTextures=True(was
=False)

MouseLagThreshold=0 (was 75)

Some tweaks that help fps and gameplay.

I got these from either Ion Storm's forums or TTLG. I'm going to give them a shot tonight..
3000+ barton / Abit NF7-S 1.2 / 2x512 Corsair DDR3200 / ATI Radeon 9700pro / Catalyst 6.2 / DX9.0c / TurboLink 420W PSU / Maxtor 120gig Z01P120 HD / Verbatim (NEC ND-3540a) DVD+-RW/R writer / Verbatim 40/12/48 CDRW / Initio SCSI controller / Samsung 955df / Windows XP Pro w/SP2 / Bytecc ME320U2 external USB2 enclosure with Maxtor 120gig HD

~~~
Multitasking - screwing up several things at once.
jws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 03:13 PM   #116
DiaperJe|\|i3
Proud Papa

I'd imagine alot of the UT2K4 tweeks would work. Especially the mouse smoothing thing.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 03:29 PM   #117
Chiggs
Radeon R300

Quote:
Originally posted by DiaperJe|\|i3
I'd imagine alot of the UT2K4 tweeks would work. Especially the mouse smoothing thing.

Same with all DX: IW tweaks.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 04:53 PM   #118
Guybo
Anonymous Proletariat

Guybo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Easy with the personal attacks folks. Well this game has sure stirred up alot of controversy
Sure sign of a good game right there. I have yet to see a crappy game cause flame wars.
Guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:08 PM   #119
Pr()ZaC
Banned

Pr()ZaC is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

From the readme.rtf:
Quote:
FX 5600 - game ran fine with details on low
FX 5200 - game ran fine with details on medium
What the...

Last edited by Pr()ZaC : Jun 1, 2004 at 05:11 PM.
Pr()ZaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 05:46 PM   #120
Dem2k
Radeon Sea Islands

Dem2k is still being judged by the masses

Thing is, why should we have to tweak this game to make it playable. Its silly as hell. Why didn't Ion do this inhouse. Settings that made Garret a grampa ninja thief. Or just the general settings, like mouselag, viewbob, etc etc, is unecessary.

It was the same with DX.IW you had to tweak the damn ini files to get rid of the unwanted hud, the smooth panning, the damage-multipliers, etc.

The big question is WHY? Also whilst looking for the damn settings to change you discover strings that start with xbox, really is it necessary for them lines to be there?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcvdDtnM_0
King of LimboooO!
Dem2k is offline   Reply With Quote